HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Kingston Cannonball going Beast Mode

Old
03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
KlimasLoveChild

vCash: 500
The Kingston Cannonball going Beast Mode

Just like to comment on how impressed I've been with his play this season. I think he has really taken his game up a notch and you can tell he is only going to get better and better. It's kinda scary to think he has had little if any luck around the net and he's still above a point a game guy. I think it just shows that we need to be patient with these kids cause it's likely going to be a couple more years till nuge and yak hit their stride. Having said that I think they may be good enough to make the playoffs this year. I'm really looking forward to these next twenty games to see if Hall can take the bull by the horns and lead this team on a good run for the playoffs. I think the experience they gain in the stretch run is really going to serve them well in the future. At the very least it should be an interesting ride

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:05 PM
jbean

Yup I think the Oilers made the right choice between Hall and Seguin. Hall is more dynamic than we might've originally thought. Also the narrative that "Hall will have a short career because he gets hit a lot" is getting tired as he matures and also puts on a bit more weight.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
totally agree. he is already a top 30 forward in the league, maybe even top 20. Tambo has to give these kids a chance at the playoffs by making some kind of splash. the experience alone would be worth sacrificing a future pick/prospect.

Hall would be huge in the playoffs. they match up well against Chicago.... just get in and you never know.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:10 PM
dnicks17

It's s a shame that the majority of people in the east won't get to see him.

The myth of Eberle being our best player is going to continue on the main boards.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Agreed, this is the type of stretch Hall was made for and what the Oilers drafted him for.

He may not be able to get them to the post season this year, but I think we'll see him take it to another level these last 20 games here for sure.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
It's s a shame that the majority of people in the east won't get to see him.

The myth of Eberle being our best player is going to continue on the main boards.
Meh, every team in the east will see him once in their arena starting next year. And we get to see their stars!

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:25 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

He'll continue to improve.. he's learning how to be a puck hound without getting himself killed.

Seems like he's generating a lot of his points just by being the guy who won a battle and came out with the puck. If his shooting percentage was where it usually is he'd be up there with guys like Tavares for points.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Yep, its time for this thread. Hall is dragging this whole club on his shoulders some of these recent games.

Hard to believe this guy is 20yrs old.

Gonna be real good as long as he stays healthy.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:28 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Agreed, this is the type of stretch Hall was made for and what the Oilers drafted him for.

He may not be able to get them to the post season this year, but I think we'll see him take it to another level these last 20 games here for sure.
I'm sorry, but how come this only applies to Hall and no one else? Is his style of game automatically inherent to making him a "stretch" player?

Before coming to the Oilers he was the best player on the best team in junior hockey - they never had to endure a "stretch" run at any point because they were just always dominant.

Facing this type of adversity and fighting through it isn't something that's in your blood, it's something you gain from experience. Each of the kids is going to be responsible from hereon in to step up their game and be aware of what's at stake. This isn't Game 60 of a tank season anymore - there's a playoff spot on the line.

He's an excellent player, and I hope his play motivates the likes of RNH/Ebs to step it up down the stretch. This team needs 3 lines operating at a scoring level to make the playoffs, because they sure as hell aren't going to do it with defensive play.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:30 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Don't have much to add to this thread other than to say I have an unabashed love for THall.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Yup I think the Oilers made the right choice between Hall and Seguin. Hall is more dynamic than we might've originally thought. Also the narrative that "Hall will have a short career because he gets hit a lot" is getting tired as he matures and also puts on a bit more weight.
hes been giving a lot more than hes been receiving this year.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

This is why you draft the guy with two mem cup MVPs instead of the centre.

This is why.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

The most important player on this team.

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:38 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I'm sorry, but how come this only applies to Hall and no one else? Is his style of game automatically inherent to making him a "stretch" player?
no one said no one else can do it...settle down bro

and yes, his style does make him a better player down the stretch...his a strong gritty player that use speed and power to score goals
like Bob McKenzie once said: "he'll take the net off the moorings with his teeth if it means scoring a goal

Quote:
Before coming to the Oilers he was the best player on the best team in junior hockey - they never had to endure a "stretch" run at any point because they were just always dominant.
Facing this type of adversity and fighting through it isn't something that's in your blood, it's something you gain from experience. Each of the kids is going to be responsible from hereon in to step up their game and be aware of what's at stake. This isn't Game 60 of a tank season anymore - there's a playoff spot on the line.
except in the Memorial Cup when they went down 0-2 and had to win 4 straight to take the title in 2010

He also won MVP that Tourny

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:

He's an excellent player, and I hope his play motivates the likes of RNH/Ebs to step it up down the stretch. This team needs 3 lines operating at a scoring level to make the playoffs, because they sure as hell aren't going to do it with defensive play.
Uhhhh, I didn't say that, I only specified Hall because this thread was about Taylor Hall...no?

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:47 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
He's going to be one of the hardest forwards to stop in the entire NHL. He's got a lot of what made Ovechkin so good 5 years ago

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
This is why you draft the guy with two mem cup MVPs instead of the centre.

This is why.
bang on, bra. bang on.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:53 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

Hall is a winner. He's got that from experience.

He doesn't need to know how to deal with adversity.

He knows how to win. He knows what it takes to win. He knows how much he wants to win.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:06 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
The majority of Oiler fans thought Hall was underrated and better than Eberle. The majority of non-Oiler fans on HF thought otherwise.

Perhaps the fans who watch every game these guys play have a better understanding of their talent than people who probably only check highlight reels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
He's going to be one of the hardest forwards to stop in the entire NHL. He's got a lot of what made Ovechkin so good 5 years ago
Agreed. Hopefully he doesn't lose it like Ovechkin did

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:08 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
totally agree. he is already a top 30 forward in the league, maybe even top 20. Tambo has to give these kids a chance at the playoffs by making some kind of splash. the experience alone would be worth sacrificing a future pick/prospect.

Hall would be huge in the playoffs. they match up well against Chicago.... just get in and you never know.
I think that would be an insane series. We'd definitely give them a scare.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:11 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

I love how he backs up the opposing D cause they're terrified of his speed

the Eberle goal is a good example

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:12 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Agreed. Hopefully he doesn't lose it like Ovechkin did
I'm not worried. He certainly doesn't have Ovi's shot, but he does have about 50x the drive

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:12 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Hall isn't at risk of losing it like Ovi unless he gets fat

Old
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I love how he backs up the opposing D cause they're terrified of his speed

the Eberle goal is a good example
True. He'd honestly be the perfect fit on that line if they didn't try to get too cute everytime they're together.

Makes me wonder how Hall-Horc-Ebs would do as a line again.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:16 AM
ales83fan

taylor Hall is a beast. That is all.

Don't know what Boston would need to add to seguin for me to move hall. Honestly I wouldn't do it.

And I love seguin.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote