HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Past the halfway point and only 3 points out

Old
03-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Jesus I thought this was gonna be mostly positive comments. Couple things I wanna point out... Even without 1 very good offensive player/ELITE goalscorer this is pretty easily the best team we've ever had when it comes to offensive skill. We have just as many "top line" and "top 6" guys as MOST teams in the conference. Don't forget this group of guys really hasn't played that long together. We're also actually pretty deep, and unlike the past, this "depth" isnt led by 4th liners. Matt Calvert is NOT a younger version of Derek Mackenzie...not sure what the dude has to do for some of you guys to believe he can put points up in this league.

When it comes to playoffs this year I have no clue why you guys are comin up with all these percentages n shi/t. No point at all. We're 2 games back, and the momentum i'm sure this streak has given the team, its almost as if theres no streak at all. Its pretty simple...win games, hope some teams win, some others lose and NO 3 POINT GAMES. With the short season and the intra-conference games its pretty crazy just how important each game really is compared to other years. I'd say about 264% more critical.

+Chicago, Minnesota, Anaheim, Edmonton, Colorado, St Louis
-San Jose, Phoenix, Vancouver, Detroit, Dallas, Nashville, LA, Calgary
Regardless, 2.07 G/G is not an illusion..., it's real. The Jackets have dominated Detroit but that's about it... The CBJ need more scoring results one way or another, call it skill, luck, shooting frequency, coaching or whatever. If I recall even Anisimov (or some CBJ player) said scoring would be an issue before the season even started..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
The Jackets are now tied for the 8th seed in the west.... unreal...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:27 AM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Tampa fan coming to say that I am rooting for you guys hard, and have actually been making it a point to catch blue jackets games now.

I'd love to see the Jackets make the playoffs this year.

Besides, we need less competitors for Seth Jones anyway.

B2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:50 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Jesus I thought this was gonna be mostly positive comments. Couple things I wanna point out... Even without 1 very good offensive player/ELITE goalscorer this is pretty easily the best team we've ever had when it comes to offensive skill. We have just as many "top line" and "top 6" guys as MOST teams in the conference.
Not so. In the past months I've been sticking my neck out to convince folks that we actually have second line talent (yes actual top six!). But we really don't have any "top line" players.

The method is simple: the top 90 scoring forwards are top line (3 per team), the next 90 second line. This year Prospal, Brassard, Letestu, and Foligno (henceforth Nicky Dangles) are producing in the second line group.

A most accurate description may be to say that we have a group of 7 players who rove back and forth from second line to third line: the four above along with Umberger, Dubinsky, and Anisimov.

I like this forward group the best, but purely in terms of offensive productive capability, the Jackets have had better years.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Firestorm

Isn't the most important part instilling a winning atmosphere?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Dednimnepo
Winning is the Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Not so. In the past months I've been sticking my neck out to convince folks that we actually have second line talent (yes actual top six!). But we really don't have any "top line" players.

The method is simple: the top 90 scoring forwards are top line (3 per team), the next 90 second line. This year Prospal, Brassard, Letestu, and Foligno (henceforth Nicky Dangles) are producing in the second line group.

A most accurate description may be to say that we have a group of 7 players who rove back and forth from second line to third line: the four above along with Umberger, Dubinsky, and Anisimov.

I like this forward group the best, but purely in terms of offensive productive capability, the Jackets have had better years.
I agree with all of this except one point. I would call him Fo Dangles - watch him dance.

Dednimnepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Dednimnepo
Winning is the Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Isn't the most important part instilling a winning atmosphere?
Yes. I think it is amazing seeing guys that in past years were dissed play like stars simply because of the confidence/expectation of winning.

Dednimnepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Has Kevin danced this year?
That may something to do with it.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Has Kevin danced this year?
That may something to do with it.
Kevin had at least a 3 game streak of dancing.

and another game earlier in the season

Last edited by Skraut: 03-22-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:44 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

He has been at the last 4 or 5 games.

03-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Wallet Inspector

Sens fan coming in peace.

Rooting for you guys to make the playoffs. You deserve for all you've been through.

Wallet Inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:13 AM
jay from jersey

im happy

and sad you guys are doing well. being a ranger fan toots arty dubi erixon nuff said. hope they you guys are happy with the trade, many ranger fans said you guys would like it more and more as time goes on. love the in your face relentless style you play also. reminds me of the ranger team from last year. close unified and will go to war with that hate to lose attitude. great stuff. however, im sad because you guys as a fan base deserve to be good beyond this year. you have been patient and you deserve it. but with the way you guys are playing now your not goning to wind up with mackinnon or drouin. IMO that would set you guys back 5 years. you have a lot of gritty players and a lot of play makers. this is the year i'm pulling for you guys to draft a top notch trigger man and face of your franchise. if i were gm i would trade prospal brassard and umberger at the deadline and keep accumulating 1st n 2nd picks in this draft. In 2-3 years this team is going to be a powerhouse and i can't wait to see it, your franchise and your city deserve it. so in conclusion, please lose for the good of the team lol. it will be better in the long run.

jay from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:02 AM
EspenK

Having given up hope for one of the top 4 through the standings (still hoping Jarmo pulls off a stunning trade or a lucky lottery) I am now firmly in the lets make the playoffs club. They will either prove we are a good team or expose weakness. Both ways would be helpful.

The strengths I see beyond the obvious one of Bob are:

1-better than average overall team speed

2- great hustle

3- team defense - forwards back checking

4- penalty kill

5- taking minimal penalties

6- interchangeable parts (Wiz, JJ, Dubi, Arty, Dorse, et al miss a few games, so what?)

7- coaching (gotta give Richards & Co some props)

8- minimizing turnovers

The bad:

1- Power play - what power play?

2- lack of first line talent

So 17 to go, 12 on the road. It will tell the tale. If the Jackets keep the attitude on the road they have a real chance. However it turns out (barring something like a 3-12-2 finish) I think Jarmo has some interesting decisions to make regarding re-signings. Re -sign all the FA forwards and there is no room for a new guy. Let Letestu & Vinny walk you risk breaking up the chemistry. Stay put and the recent run turns out to be another Jacket head fake and you look dumb. Throw in the trade deadline issue and he will be earning his $$$.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Having given up hope for one of the top 4 through the standings (still hoping Jarmo pulls off a stunning trade or a lucky lottery) I am now firmly in the lets make the playoffs club. They will either prove we are a good team or expose weakness. Both ways would be helpful.

2- great hustle

4- penalty kill

6- interchangeable parts (Wiz, JJ, Dubi, Arty, Dorse, et al miss a few games, so what?)

8- minimizing turnovers

The bad:

So 17 to go, 12 on the road. It will tell the tale. If the Jackets keep the attitude on the road they have a real chance. However it turns out (barring something like a 3-12-2 finish) I think Jarmo has some interesting decisions to make regarding re-signings. Re -sign all the FA forwards and there is no room for a new guy. Let Letestu & Vinny walk you risk breaking up the chemistry. Stay put and the recent run turns out to be another Jacket head fake and you look dumb. Throw in the trade deadline issue and he will be earning his $$$.
That may be something that is being greatly over-looked. Our assistant coach's are probably the best we have ever had. They may deserve a lot of the credit, which they will never get.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post

2- great hustle

4- penalty kill

8- minimizing turnovers

The bad:

If it were me, I'd keep both Letestu and Prospal. We're not going to get anyone in the draft that can step in right away, and they both have taken huge roles here. Letestu especially is on pace for a career year, and nearly twenty goals (19.8). Prospal is on pace for twenty goals (over 82 games), and Letestu has done great in the shootouts for us. He's versatile and can play up in the line up without missing a step. Plus some guys just don't hit a stride until they get in their upper-twenties, low thirties.

I think one of the Rangers' problems, for example, is they're in the midst of a culture change. They had too many guys who were instilling their culture move out. When you have one or two new guys come in and have a different attitude, the rest of the team can instill that team culture. When you turn over half of your team, then it's up for grabs.

I'd look to the trade market. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dubinsky or Umberger, and Nikitin gone at the deadline or the offseason.

Johnson-Tyutin
Erixon-Wiz
Moore-Prout

Which still gives us good depth at D with Cody, Murray, and Savard.

I'm probably in the minority on this, just as I was with Johansen, but Murray should at least start the year in Springfield next year. He's been injured almost all year and he's AHL eligible. I say let him start there.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post

I'd look to the trade market. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dubinsky or Umberger, and Nikitin gone at the deadline or the offseason.

Johnson-Tyutin
Erixon-Wiz
Moore-Prout

Which still gives us good depth at D with Cody, Murray, and Savard.

I'm probably in the minority on this, just as I was with Johansen, but Murray should at least start the year in Springfield next year. He's been injured almost all year and he's AHL eligible. I say let him start there.
Barring a super human camp, I agree. Pietrangelo only played 8 & 9 games his first two years with the Blues. It doesn't appear like we need his immediate help so let him develop if he is not ready.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote