HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hunt for EJ's Left Handed Man

Old
03-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'd imagine this wouldn't happen right away, and that they'd want to see him in at least a training camp and probably a full preseason before dealing from RD. Although prospect for prospect, it'd be an overall upgrade in theory. Just dislike assuming that even a top tier prospect like Jones can come in at the same level as even a somewhat established prospect like Barrie or Elliott.
I don't think so. I haven't fully scouted Jones, but I also have some concern on Barrie's overall game, and I can easily say the top two pairings consisting of EJ and Jones, looks a lot better than EJ and Barrie.

Therefore, they don't have to wait that long to use Barrie/Elliott in a package to bring in a LHD for EJ that's better now than either of them, and most likely in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I get it, just disagree.

Perhaps, for me, it depends on how long it takes to settle the contracts with Stastny and ROR so a trade can be made by next deadline at the latest to get the LHD. With the potential FA crop in 2014 Avs should be able to acquire 1 or 2 scoring wingers.

Although I would like to say its 2013-2014,
2014-2015 should be the end of "the rebuild"
If you have EJ and Jones on the right side, then having Barrie and Elliott is just a luxury, and probably waters down any top level game you hope they will get to . Might as well use them in a a trade for a LD to play with EJ in that scenario.

A legit team leans on their top four heavily, especially the top pairing. The 3rd unit doesn't need to be all that great, just look at the Avs cup winning teams. The 3rd unit was ok, but not great. I see no problem with a 3rd unit being some combination of O'Brien, Wilson, O'Byrne, Zanon, Hunwikck, UFA, if they have the proper distribution of minutes with a legit top four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Alternatively, Erik Johnson becomes expendable getting Tyson Barrie a defenseman to play with.
Yuck, really? Two relatively unproven guys in Barrie and Jones as 2 of the 3 major pieces in the top four makes you feel comfortable?

Last edited by Mystic MacK: 03-20-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:44 AM
shadow1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yuck, really? Two relatively unproven guys in Barrie and Jones as 2 of the 3 major pieces in the top four makes you feel comfortable?
My short term expectations (1-2 years) are very low.

shadow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Jones can play both sides of the ice and he showed that with team USA.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
My short term expectations (1-2 years) are very low.
Unfortunately it seems many here feel the same way.

The Avalanche who had 10 more points than Montreal last year, 8 more points than Toronto and Anaheim, and were 7 points out of a playoff spot are doomed for failing til 2014-2015 at the earliest.

Might as well keep Sacco through the end of his contract so we get a good pick next year too.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:39 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Unfortunately it seems many here feel the same way.

The Avalanche who had 10 more points than Montreal last year, 8 more points than Toronto and Anaheim, and were 7 points out of a playoff spot are doomed for failing til 2014-2015 at the earliest.

Might as well keep Sacco through the end of his contract so we get a good pick next year too.
Sam Reinhart.. Drool..

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote