HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2013, 02:48 AM
  #276
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I agree. Gillis seems to be pushing pretty hard. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on at least one Canucks move in the next 2 weeks.
My feeling is that Luongo will be moved. There are enough teams that could use him and considering it's a seller's market, I think Gillis will be able to get something pretty good for him.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:50 AM
  #277
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
My feeling is that Luongo will be moved. There are enough teams that could use him and considering it's a seller's market, I think Gillis will be able to get something pretty good for him.
Not so sure it's a seller's market when it comes to goalies. I think that moreso applies to forwards/D.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:52 AM
  #278
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!
 
canuck4life16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 50
I think some kind of deal would be nice earlier before the deadline......get the new player to learn system and linemates

canuck4life16 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:53 AM
  #279
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Not so sure it's a seller's market when it comes to goalies. I think that moreso applies to forwards/D.
Who else is going to give up a legitimate starting goalie? To me, you have 3 teams that are interested: Toronto, Washington and Philly. With Tampa bleeding goals against, maybe Yzerman gets pressured by the ownership a little bit and also gets in the market.

A team like Washington could also get desperate even though their chances of making the post-season are minimal. I don't know that McPhee has much leash left.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:57 AM
  #280
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Who else is going to give up a legitimate starting goalie? To me, you have 3 teams that are interested: Toronto, Washington and Philly. With Tampa bleeding goals against, maybe Yzerman gets pressured by the ownership a little bit and also gets in the market.

A team like Washington could also get desperate even though their chances of making the post-season are minimal. I don't know that McPhee has much leash left.
Legitimate? Buffalo might dump Miller. Kipper has been legitimate up until this year, and with Iginla rumours circulating he could be made available. There's also young guns like Bernier and Bishop who could garner a lot of interest from a team like Philly.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:59 AM
  #281
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
If they choose Raymond over Booth I think they'd be okay with Grabo at $4M. I have no idea what Raymond would command on the open market, but based on the character he's exhibited over his career in Vancouver I'm confident he'd take a paycut to stay here.
Grabo at 4m would be fantastic.

Do you think Raymond takes 3m? That's what it would have to be if they intend to still keep Higgins too. 5.5m for both to stay. I dunno. I'm leaning towards them keeping Booth, both for style of play and cost certainty. Who knows what Raymond will ask for after having to swallow a paycut this past year.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:59 AM
  #282
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Legitimate? Buffalo might dump Miller. Kipper has been legitimate up until this year, and with Iginla rumours circulating he could be made available. There's also young guns like Bernier and Bishop who could garner a lot of interest from a team like Philly.
I don't really find those to be options on anywhere near Luongo's level. Kipper is one of the reasons Flames are not anywhere near a playoff position despite otherwise solid play. Miller is a decent goalie, but I think everyone can tell he's not a top tier starter but he's paid like one. Not much younger than Luongo either. Bernier and Bishop are not an answer if you need help now.

The point is, when it's a trade deadline and playoffs are on the line, sometimes deals get made that otherwise make little sense at any other time of the year. Even having 2 teams interested means you can pit those two teams against each other, one of them just might be desperate enough. Would anyone give up a 1st for Paul Gaustad outside of the trade deadline? No, never.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:03 AM
  #283
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Legitimate? Buffalo might dump Miller. Kipper has been legitimate up until this year, and with Iginla rumours circulating he could be made available. There's also young guns like Bernier and Bishop who could garner a lot of interest from a team like Philly.
Miller goes west, and Kipper is a very short-term solution out east.

Bernier gets retained due to Quick coming off surgery and with LA right back in contention. Can't risk it. Bishop I could see moving though...

It all comes down to a team in the east wanting a longer term, high end solution. Who fills that need, that is also a certainty, in the west? Only Luongo.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:04 AM
  #284
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Grabo at 4m would be fantastic.

Do you think Raymond takes 3m? That's what it would have to be if they intend to still keep Higgins too. 5.5m for both to stay. I dunno. I'm leaning towards them keeping Booth, both for style of play and cost certainty. Who knows what Raymond will ask for after having to swallow a paycut this past year.
Cost certainty? I'm fairly certain Booth will be earning more than Raymond next year, so unless I misinterpreted that it's a non-issue in my eyes. I picture him signing a 4 year deal at $13-14 million. If it was at 13 he and Grabo (at $4M) would combine for the same $7.25 AAV as Booth and this $3M center.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:09 AM
  #285
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r View Post
Guys, I'm smellin' a trade a brewin'... I'm just feeling it...
James Duthie was on 1040 this morning. He said there is nothing going on.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:10 AM
  #286
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Cost certainty? I'm fairly certain Booth will be earning more than Raymond next year, so unless I misinterpreted that it's a non-issue in my eyes. I picture him signing a 4 year deal at $13-14 million. If it was at 13 he and Grabo (at $4M) would combine for the same $7.25 AAV as Booth and this $3M center.
Certainty, as in we know what Booth will be paid, and for what term.

Are you certain Booth will be earning more than Raymond? Raymond's competition in FA are Stalberg/Bickell. Depending on how things shake out, I can see him getting 4m per from some team. Top6 forwards with his attention to defense are hard to find.

If Raymond re-signs for that amount, 3.25m AAV, then yeah it could work. I don't know if he signs for that amount though when 4m+ will be waiting for him in FA.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:13 AM
  #287
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
If they choose Raymond over Booth I think they'd be okay with Grabo at $4M. I have no idea what Raymond would command on the open market, but based on the character he's exhibited over his career in Vancouver I'm confident he'd take a paycut to stay here.
A pay cut also seems to come with a NTC NMC in Vancouver though..

Do we want Raymond cheap on a NTC ?

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:23 AM
  #288
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Grabo at 4m would be fantastic.

Do you think Raymond takes 3m? That's what it would have to be if they intend to still keep Higgins too. 5.5m for both to stay. I dunno. I'm leaning towards them keeping Booth, both for style of play and cost certainty. Who knows what Raymond will ask for after having to swallow a paycut this past year.
While I have come around on Booth, his constant injury status makes him something of a liability to long term planning. If Raymond is willing to take three million or thereabouts, I would advocate re-signing him and looking to move or buyout Booth. Good player but as we have witnessed his season. Injuries are too much of a killer for us.

I wonder though if the Leafs would go for eating $1.5M of Grabs contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
A pay cut also seems to come with a NTC NMC in Vancouver though..

Do we want Raymond cheap on a NTC ?
I'd do it. NTC being hard to trade is overrated. Most players waive without much issue. In fact, Heatley is the only one who recently made a big fuss about it.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:31 AM
  #289
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Certainty, as in we know what Booth will be paid, and for what term.

Are you certain Booth will be earning more than Raymond? Raymond's competition in FA are Stalberg/Bickell. Depending on how things shake out, I can see him getting 4m per from some team. Top6 forwards with his attention to defense are hard to find.

If Raymond re-signs for that amount, 3.25m AAV, then yeah it could work. I don't know if he signs for that amount though when 4m+ will be waiting for him in FA.
Obviously there's no certainty in predicting future contracts, but I'm confident he won't be getting more than $4.25 on the open market. The chances of him turning down that kind of deal from Vancouver, where he's played his whole career and has recently started a family, are slim to none IMO.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:39 AM
  #290
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,359
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Miller goes west, and Kipper is a very short-term solution out east.

Bernier gets retained due to Quick coming off surgery and with LA right back in contention. Can't risk it. Bishop I could see moving though...

It all comes down to a team in the east wanting a longer term, high end solution. Who fills that need, that is also a certainty, in the west? Only Luongo.
Bernier is keeping their season alive atm. Even in the off season there is no way they can deal him unless Quick starts showing elite goaltending again.

me2 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:41 AM
  #291
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Obviously there's no certainty in predicting future contracts, but I'm confident he won't be getting more than $4.25 on the open market. The chances of him turning down that kind of deal from Vancouver, where he's played his whole career and has recently started a family, are slim to none IMO.
Fair enough. Let's see what Raymond does.

@BEndeavor: I'm still an advocate of keeping Booth over Raymond. Long-term, I think the traits he brings to the table are highly coveted by VAN management. But this year couldn't have gone worse for him. As a result, I'm very curious which way it goes. I'm betting on Booth staying though... in any event. That's my guess.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 04:12 AM
  #292
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys
 
94eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
I think Perry signing has loosened up Toronto. Friedman mentioned before they were hesitant to do anything that would jeopardize their chance at getting Perry or Getzlaf this summer. With both off the market, maybe it clears the way for them to take on a long-term contract like Luongo's.

94eleven is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 04:59 AM
  #293
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.
 
ThereGoesVirtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,171
vCash: 500
I pray we can pry someone like Rielly away from them.

ThereGoesVirtanen is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 06:03 AM
  #294
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I pray we can pry someone like Rielly away from them.
zero chance that happens, unfortunately

LPH is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
  #295
Bieksallent
Registered User
 
Bieksallent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Acquiring Grabovski at $4m doesn't mean we have to move Booth. The one issue would be filling out the 6th and 7th defence spots with cheap contracts. That's assuming Ballard is shed one way or another and Raymond isn't retained. While not easy, it's certainly doable though, particularly when you'll see more and more depth players signing below their value as the stars take a bigger chunk of the lowered cap. It's a bad time to be a solid depth free agent, at least until the cap starts to go back up.

Bieksallent is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  #296
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Acquiring Grabovski at $4m doesn't mean we have to move Booth. The one issue would be filling out the 6th and 7th defence spots with cheap contracts. That's assuming Ballard is shed one way or another and Raymond isn't retained. While not easy, it's certainly doable though, particularly when you'll see more and more depth players signing below their value as the stars take a bigger chunk of the lowered cap. It's a bad time to be a solid depth free agent, at least until the cap starts to go back up.
I don't see it the same way for mid-tier free agents. Maybe if they want to be on very good teams with great stars, they'll be forced to take a smaller chunk, but we'll still have teams like Florida and the Islanders overpay for the mid tier to hit the cap floor.

-----


Sort of related but not directly, is anyone else pissed off Anaheim is getting revenue sharing, estimated in the $16-17m range? Just enough to pay for Getzlaf and Perry.

They didn't fix anything with the lockout, just changed things around....the cycle continues.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
  #297
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
I like the idea of going into the playoffs as an underdog, combined with with Kesler coming into the lineup fresh, and TDL reinforcements on the way. (If Iginla has VAN on any sort of short list, its because, IMO, BC is his preferred longterm landing spot [in-season & off-season].)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Sort of related but not directly, is anyone else pissed off Anaheim is getting revenue sharing, estimated in the $16-17m range? Just enough to pay for Getzlaf and Perry.

They didn't fix anything with the lockout, just changed things around....the cycle continues.
I think that was the intent of the lockout...helping smaller hockey markets retain their stars rather than becoming farm teams for VAN et al.

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
  #298
tantalum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 10,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I like the idea of going into the playoffs as an underdog, combined with with Kesler coming into the lineup fresh, and TDL reinforcements on the way. (If Iginla has VAN on any sort of short list, its because, IMO, BC is his preferred longterm landing spot [in-season & off-season].)
Might be. Iginla is a family man first and foremost. It would not shock me if any longer term move for him (next contract) will be in a place that he and his family are comfortable. If that isn't Calgary, Vancouver may very well be near the top of the list because of his offseason ties to BC. Edmonton may also be on such a list...wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts for flames fans.

However, he is also a pretty loyal guy so does he sign on with a direct Calgary rival? I prefer to think "sure why not?" he was the guy that led the kudos and handshake for Linden after all. I also like to think he'd like to go somewhere where the pressures of leadership would be off of him so he can just play the last few years of his career.


Last edited by tantalum: 03-20-2013 at 12:46 PM.
tantalum is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
  #299
CP
Registered User
 
CP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
I think Iginla is quite possible from his perspective.
He is like Stomping Tom Connors Canadian, so I'm sure he would like to stay in Canada.
I think he really respects the twins.
He has BC roots having played junior in Kelowna I believe.
If he could bring a cup to Vancouver his legacy in Western Canada would be god-like.
Nice way to wind down a career.

CP is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:53 PM
  #300
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,118
vCash: 500
Zach Boychuk on waivers again.

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS25m
Waivers: Boychuk, Zach (NSH) Komisarek, Mike (TOR)
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Given our glut of injuries at forward and lack of realistic options on the farm, do the Canucks give him a shot?

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.