HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tanks, but NO Tanks

Old
03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
ugly casanova*

vCash: 500
G: Enroth #nolongermillertime
B: blowing the lead #likeclockwork
U: no closer to the playoffs, no closer to the top pick #spinningourtires

ugly casanova* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:36 PM
gallagt01

Good:
-Pysyk. They've got a budding shutdown defender on the roster. So calm.
-Some jam from Foligno.
-They had a couple of rough shifts but I really like the Flynn/Porter duo in the bottom six.
-Ott. He's going to be here for a long time.
-Enroth played well.

Bad:
-Vanek injured.
-Hodgson was terrible.
-Ehrhoff/Weber was a disaster.
-Myers wasn't much better.
-My DVR cut off just as MTL tied the game. Is it bad that when I checked NHL.com, I was expecting/hoping to see a loss?
-Can I get a team commitment to defense at some point, please?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Ennis was just invisible all night - that is, until he was found out to lunch on the GTG.

What an "un-fun" win. I didn't cheer when we scored in OT. I didn't get into it at all. What the hell?

AND CAN WE END THE "POMS ON THE PP POINT" nonsense? Insanity. Pysyk should be given a shot.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Squantosawuss

If you heard Ott in the post-game interview, you should come away thinking:

"This guy has just about everything you want in a captain".

He has tons of passion---and can back it up with his play. He is also quite capable of being a major dick to others in the lockerroom when he needs to be, whereas Pommer? #notinamillionyears.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 03-20-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:20 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
It's hard to get excited about a win where they showed up for a whopping 20 minutes and proceeded to get their ***** beat for the next 40...

That's not exactly how to make people optimistic that an epic streak could be coming. Well, maybe an epic losing streak.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:23 AM
gallagt01

Ott has nine points in the 13 games since Ruff was fired.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Ott has nine points in the 13 games since Ruff was fired.
Now that you mention it, too bad he didn't take Gaustad's old number instead of Roy's.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:19 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
G:
-Otter. Loved him today. Everything from calling out Harrington to scoring goals to admitting to the nose pick on Twitter
-Leino. Nice to see him playing well. Hopefully he can keep it up.
-Enroth.
-Beating Montreal.
-Florida also got 2 points, so no ground lost.

B:
-The 2nd and 3rd periods...All of it. Nobody was good.

U:
-Vanek hurt

Yes we did. We went from 2nd overall to 4th overall, passing Washington and Colorado.

Watch, these 2 pts are going to haunt us in the end.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:23 AM
jfb392

Didn't watch this game because the makers of Claritin have a vastly different definition of "non-drowsy" than I do, but the shot chart from the game literally made me laugh out loud.
The top line got absolutely annihilated.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:22 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

Yes we did. We went from 2nd overall to 4th overall, passing Washington and Colorado.

Watch, these 2 pts are going to haunt us in the end.
You know, I sarcastically posted "Enroth just cost us MacKinnon" in chat last night after that big save at the end of regulation. Yet here in the GBU I'm seeing this same sentiment posted seriously. Of course, Enroth, a guy trying to get his career on track, apparently should not make that huge save. Because of draft position.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your analysis consists of nothing else except "Noooo we won, thus costing us draft position" shouldn't it go in the "tank" thread?

Can't wait until this year is over so I don't have to hear people saying this after every win. And spare me the lecture, I realize the benefits of losing. I'd just like to see some real analysis in the GBU and not read this tired tanking point in 2/3rds of the posts on the first page.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:41 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the only question....

does Rolston have the balls to come back with Enroth again on Thursday?

(the irony being Miller being unable to complain about it without looking like an even bigger hypocrit)

I could see that if Miller had been playing poorly, but he has not. You put your starting goaltender in the next game, and that's not Enroth. I know it doesn't fit the agenda, but...

It's good to see Enroth playing better the last two games, and he definitely played well last night. He also gave up a ton of rebounds, that on another night would have killed the Sabres.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:49 AM
FanboySlayer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
Good game guys, we had no business getting a point out of that game. Questionable penalty call at the end though. Anyways we'll get you guys back in a few days.
you know your team sucks when Habs fans are patronizing you.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
You know, I sarcastically posted "Enroth just cost us MacKinnon" in chat last night after that big save at the end of regulation. Yet here in the GBU I'm seeing this same sentiment posted seriously.
Funny, I posted a joke in the GDT that people would actually be happy with a win in a game in which we looked horrible. Yet here people are posting the same sentiment seriously. Irony, you cruel minx.

Quote:
Of course, Enroth, a guy trying to get his career on track, apparently should not make that huge save. Because of draft position.
Nice strawman. Yeah, everyone is saying Enroth should've missed that save intentionally.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your analysis consists of nothing else except "Noooo we won, thus costing us draft position" shouldn't it go in the "tank" thread?
It's a position, not an analysis. And my position is that this win is fool's gold, does little positive in the long run, and serves only to harm our draft position. Hey, if this game starts a seven-game winning straight catapulting us into playoff position, I'll eat crow. But I don't see that happening.

Quote:
Can't wait until this year is over so I don't have to hear people saying this after every win.
And I can't wait for this year to be over so that I, and others, don't have to be told we're bad fans for not being jubilant over a win in which we played 40 terrible minutes, during which we had 3 shots in a 35-minute span, and obtained two points that won't catapult us into the playoffs and will do nothing but harm an opportunity at drafting a potentially great player.

Quote:
I'd just like to see some real analysis in the GBU and not read this tired tanking point in 2/3rds of the posts on the first page.
The funny thing is, I was not advocating for tanking in the quoted post. I merely stated an opinion that these two points will serve to hurt our draft position in the end. With fewer games, it's going to be tight towards the bottom. Two points could cost us a couple of draft spots.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:59 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

good- we won can't believe we won. Ott and Leino surprise offense

bad- blowing a 2 goal lead

ugly- Vanek hurt. Any update on how bad?

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:12 AM
RattleYourSabre

Good:
-Foligno, Porter, Flynn... This line has been awesome. Foligno has looked like an entirely different player when matched up with those two guys.
-Steve Ott. First line minutes and it showed that his teammates helped him out quite a bit. Hodgson is magic with the puck!
-Ville Leino. He's actually one of the better hockey players on the team all in all.
-Jhonas Enroth. He's looked like a good NHL goalie his last few starts. And if it wasn't for the cramps he had the one game, he'd be grading out even better.
-Pysyk. He has extremely fast hands. I watched one exchange with the puck where he knocked it out of the air with his stick, brought the stick back down to the ice while still controlling the puck with a Canadien poking at it... He maintained control and dumped it out. He's playing like one of our better defenders. The AHL guys are outperforming a good number of our NHL guys.

Bad:
-We have a habit of making a great game look bad. We had several solid performances, but when push came to shove, two goals sent us to OT in the third period. Our defense got lazy.
-Hodgson defensively. Still has to learn, but the cross ice pass to Pominville was a horrendous decision. And the pass by Gallagher on the goal could have been disrupted.

Ugly:
-The AHL guys are outperforming a good number of our NHL guys.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Funny, I posted a joke in the GDT that people would actually be happy with a win in a game in which we looked horrible. Yet here people are posting the same sentiment seriously. Irony, you cruel minx.
There's one or two people who showed unqualified happiness about the win, including that guy who said that we need to go on a run that everyone lambasted. Yet I had to read the same damn post about losing for draft position from you three times. It was the third one that prompted my response.

Quote:
Nice strawman. Yeah, everyone is saying Enroth should've missed that save intentionally.

It's funny how you accuse me of a strawman here yet I never said "everyone" (no matter how much you italicize it). I'm responding to you. Zip15. And your three tanking posts.

Quote:
It's a position, not an analysis. And my position is that this win is fool's gold, does little positive in the long run, and serves only to harm our draft position. Hey, if this game starts a seven-game winning straight catapulting us into playoff position, I'll eat crow. But I don't see that happening.
GBU's are for analyzing the game. If you want to express your position on tanking (and nothing else) in a post, do it in the tanking thread.

Quote:
And I can't wait for this year to be over so that I, and others, don't have to be told we're bad fans for not being jubilant over a win in which we played 40 terrible minutes, during which we had 3 shots in a 35-minute span, and obtained two points that won't catapult us into the playoffs and will do nothing but harm an opportunity at drafting a potentially great player.
Holy hell, no one said you have to be jubilant. You accuse me of a strawman, then constantly put words in my mouth. I'm just saying that if you are going to say that they should have lost and nothing else in a post take it to the tanking thread where those like-minded or not can read them or avoid them as they see fit.

Quote:
The funny thing is, I was not advocating for tanking in the quoted post. I merely stated an opinion that these two points will serve to hurt our draft position in the end. With fewer games, it's going to be tight towards the bottom. Two points could cost us a couple of draft spots.
Taken in context, how can it be anything but an argument for tanking?

Last edited by aceface33: 03-20-2013 at 07:33 AM.
aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Meh. We'll win a few games on the way down. You can't lose them all. Enroth played well again. I'm happy for him.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:07 AM
AirBriere48

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Meh. We'll win a few games on the way down. You can't lose them all. Enroth played well again. I'm happy for him.
This x10. As will other teams around us (see Florida last night). Look at how badly we were outplayed last night - that kind of hockey will not produce any sort of consistent success. Were headed in a downward trajectory, but were not going to lose every game.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Habs fan, you guys looked to severely lack confidence, looked a lot like the Habs last year. There's some talent there and some really nice pieces in your system (+possibly another high end pick). Wouldn't be surprised if you guys are like Ottawa last year and the Habs this year and right back in the picture next year.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I could see that if Miller had been playing poorly, but he has not. You put your starting goaltender in the next game, and that's not Enroth. I know it doesn't fit the agenda, but...

It's good to see Enroth playing better the last two games, and he definitely played well last night. He also gave up a ton of rebounds, that on another night would have killed the Sabres.
Miller's last 4 starts: 3/5, 3/10, 3/16, 3/17

Enroth's last 3 starts : 3/7, 3/12, 3/19

You can throw out the "you put your starting goaltender in the next game"... when you are a bottom feeder

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I have yet to watch the entire game. Every time I turned it on, someone (be it Sabre or Hab) scored, which was somewhat amusing, especially in OT. Family night in trumps bad Sabres season 10 times out of 10.

03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Miller's last 4 starts: 3/5, 3/10, 3/16, 3/17

Enroth's last 3 starts : 3/7, 3/12, 3/19

You can throw out the "you put your starting goaltender in the next game"... when you are a bottom feeder
Jame, which of the five goals that Miller gave up in the Washington game would Enroth have saved? The answer is none, and Enroth probably would have let in more than five considering some of the saves that Miller made. Don't pretend like you do not watch the games.

And being a "bottom feeder" has no bearing on the issue.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Jame, which of the five goals that Miller gave up in the Washington game would Enroth have saved? The answer is none, and Enroth probably would have let in more than five considering some of the saves that Miller made. Don't pretend like you do not watch the games.

And being a "bottom feeder" has no bearing on the issue.
and if that shot with 18 seconds left last night went in... you would've considered it a goal that no one would've stopped (if Miller was playing)...

goalies step up and make big saves... Miller gets paid big bucks... stop making excuses for him

Being a bottom feeder has HUGE bearing on the issue. The reason you "come back with your starter" right away... is because its part of a plan that involves making the playoffs/contending... you dont want to upset that apple cart.

give ONE good reason why "coming back with your starter" makes any difference at all when you are a bottom feeder?
Are you worried about a starter controversy? No
Are you worried about the mental impact on your starter? No

Old
03-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Jame
Dream '16

"you always come back with your starter"... is old school bullcrap at this point.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:55 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
GBU's are for analyzing the game. If you want to express your position on tanking (and nothing else) in a post, do it in the tanking thread.
ace is right, please try to limit the tanking stuff here. It's not a big deal when people are sarcastically commenting on hurting our draft position. But if you're going to go around parading that we shouldn't have won seriously, take it to the tank thread.

Now, there is a very blurry line here, so it may be hard to judge when a post goes too far across the tank line. But please, use your best judgement.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote