HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rucinsky signs with the Blues

Old
08-03-2006, 07:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills1020 View Post
the guy scored a point per game for us and everyones ready to bash him. i thought he was a decent player for us and i wouldnt have minded having him play another year here
Who's bashing him? Most people are happy for what he gave the Rangers last year. But, IMO, this leaves a spot for someone like Dawes to make the team, which, IMO,is better for the Rangers in the long run.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:36 AM
94now

One of the best Edmonton (when Sather wasn't senile) picks of all time. If G-d forbid Shanahan gets injured or just disappears like many other NYR retirees before him, we will miss Marty dearly

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:39 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Who's bashing him? Most people are happy for what he gave the Rangers last year. But, IMO, this leaves a spot for someone like Dawes to make the team, which, IMO,is better for the Rangers in the long run.
Dawes in his prime will never be what Rucinski was in his so-so year.

Old
08-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Shadowtron

Thank you JD

So glad the Rucinsky era has come to an end. He never really impressed me and was usually my least favorite player. I'd be curious to learn how many of his points last season were Jagr-related. He was never a point PPG player for us prior to Jagr's arrival.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:53 AM
TheRedressor

I always like him, but he was a stop gap until either something better or younger came along.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:54 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Wow! That's quite a statement. All Dawes has ever done is score at every level he's ever played at. If he does that in the NHL, he will surpass Rucinsky right away,since Rucinsky has never scored 30 goals in his career. Rucinsky at his best is a solid player. We have no idea what D awes can be. You might be right that Dawes never reaches the level of a solid player, but, I would venture that someone like Prucha has already reached Rucinsky's level. If Dawes continues his development, and has a rookie year like Prucha did last year, Dawes will have done the same.

Last edited by jas: 08-03-2006 at 08:04 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Levitate

Quote:
maybe I'm just high on Dawes but I don't believe that for a second. If Dawes makes the NHL, I'd be willing to be he's a better goal scorer than Rucinsky and establishes that early on. Rucinsky has never once broken 30 goals.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Wow! That's quite a statement. All Dawes has ever done is score at every level he's ever played at. If he does that in the NHL, he will surpass Rucinsky right away,since Rucinsky has never scored 30 goals in his career. Rucinsky at his best is a solid player. We have no idea what Dawes can be. You might be right that Dawes never reaches the level of a solid player, but, I would venture that someone like Prucha has already reached Rucinsky's level. If Dawes continues his development, and has a rookie year like Prucha did last year, Dawes will have done the same.
Yeah, I thought that was rather bold too (not knocking ya 94).

Old
08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Fletch

Signing Rucinsky, 94...

as a depth player, just in case Shanny gets injured, doesn't make much sense. In any event, if Shanny's injured, Prucha would take his place on the PP and at even strength - he did score 30 goals in 68 games - a bit more than Rucinsky. Funny enough, the Rangers' record when Rucinsky went down (and replaced by Prucha) was quite good.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Thank you JD

So glad the Rucinsky era has come to an end. He never really impressed me and was usually my least favorite player. I'd be curious to learn how many of his points last season were Jagr-related. He was never a point PPG player for us prior to Jagr's arrival.
I feel that is somewhat of an unfair statement. Marty worked his *** off on three different occasions. Last year he took some bad penalties due to the rules change but he also saw his production spike. He killed penalties and was a ppg player. I feel he was the ONLY player besides Prucha able to generate offense without Jagr. There was only a small stretch where he played with Straka and JJ, so I would venture to say the majority of JJ points he accumulated were on the PP, and once again you can make the same arguement with Prucha.

He was a good role player and secondary scorer in all his stints here, but there simply was no more room for him on this team. Good luck in St. Louis!

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaws View Post
I feel that is somewhat of an unfair statement. Marty worked his *** off on three different occasions. Last year he took some bad penalties due to the rules change but he also saw his production spike. He killed penalties and was a ppg player. I feel he was the ONLY player besides Prucha able to generate offense without Jagr. There was only a small stretch where he played with Straka and JJ, so I would venture to say the majority of JJ points he accumulated were on the PP, and once again you can make the same arguement with Prucha.

He was a good role player and secondary scorer in all his stints here, but there simply was no more room for him on this team. Good luck in St. Louis!
Fantastic.

It's unfair that he's was my least favorite player? Whatever...still glad he's gone.

Old
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Nothing like definitives, eh? Dawes has excelled at every level. He had a fantastic first pro-year. Nothing within his last year in juniors or his first year in the AHL supports your statement.

I liked Rucinsky and he was a good soldier for us. But there was just no room for a 36 year-old on this team. Especially not for a two-year contract. His game was very easily replaced and he would have been quite a different player if on the 3rd line.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 09:36 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Nothing like definitives, eh? Dawes has excelled at every level. He had a fantastic first pro-year. Nothing within his last year in juniors or his first year in the AHL supports your statement.
NHL is not a place for dwarfs like Dawes. They got crashed by huge guys unseen in any other league very much like Prucha has. You have to have St.Louis agility to pan out (he was released being too small for NHL). Dawes may improve up to Rucinsky skill-wise, but he will never grow into Rucinsky's power forward body. Age is the only problem that I could see with Rucinsky. JD apparently hasn't

Old
08-03-2006, 09:40 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Im glad Sather did not offer the no trade contract. Why give a veteran like Rucinsky that its not like he is Sakic, Forsberg or Leetch
I sorta understand why he'd want one. The man literally can't find a permanent home

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:00 AM
shoothepuck

Rucinsky played well in NY and JD knows that. He was a PPG guy and he will be missed here for that, but not his lazy hooking penalties. The Shanny signing made him expendable. The contract he got, Sather would never give him, so good luck in St.Louis

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Forget about the no trade clause.Glen Sather has never given out a NTC.The Rangers weren't willing to go to two years for Rucinsky.They offered 1 year/$3.1 million

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Levitate

Quote:
NHL is not a place for dwarfs like Dawes. They got crashed by huge guys unseen in any other league very much like Prucha has. You have to have St.Louis agility to pan out (he was released being too small for NHL). Dawes may improve up to Rucinsky skill-wise, but he will never grow into Rucinsky's power forward body. Age is the only problem that I could see with Rucinsky. JD apparently hasn't
uh, first Prucha ultimately handled the physical play in the NHL pretty well. He was injured on a fluke play that had nothing to do with his size at all. Hell, Rucinsky got his knee taken out too, remember?

Also, Rucinsky doesn't have a power forward body and he never played like a power forward. You're really grasping at straws.

Maybe Dawes doesn't make it. Maybe it's because of his size. But to outright dismiss him this early (and dismiss every player under 6 ') is pretty shortsighted in my opinion.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:16 AM
trench23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
If we didn't sign Shanahan I'd of welcomed him back with open arms.
100% agree--

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"We went through lists of people who are still available," Davidson said. "Marty wasn't signed, we knew he played here before, and he loved it in St. Louis when he was here last. We checked some chemistry things; he played well with Doug Weight, knows (Petr) Cajanek well. We needed depth, and he gives us a lot of options."
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...0?OpenDocument

Radek Dvorak lost a suitor with Rucinsky signing with the Blues.J.D. said last week the Blues were interested in Dvorak

Old
08-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Larry Melnyk

ANother move or non-move by the Rangers that I can applaud...Rucisnky is a solid and flexiable player but I never really cared for him (Just a gut thing) but, more importnalty, I don't think he really fit into the team the way it has evolved over the summer and the way it APPEARS the Rangers want to give younger players a chance to shine...By that, I mean, Prucha oin the 2nd or 3rd line..GUys like Hal and Ward on the 3rd line..Dawers getting a shot to show he can be on the more "offensive" bottm two lines....Having Rucinsky would have changed all the dynamics...

Straka-NYlander-Jagr
Prucha-Cullen-Shanny
Hall-Immo-Ward/Dawes
HBO

OTOH, I said APPEARS up above because Sather may yet pull the trigger on a deal for a TOP 6 forward who might be made available beacuase of all the arbitration, RFA, and cap shenanigans...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Hell, Rucinsky got his knee taken out too, remember?

Also, Rucinsky doesn't have a power forward body and he never played like a power forward.
I didn't refer to Prucha injury. I meant his play after Olympics when he lost his enthusiasm possibly because of harsh treatment by heavyweights.

Rucinsky is a copy of Messier body-wise ( I had to concur that Mess was like Marty, not like Lindros). He didn't play as nasty as Mark has, but he is a PF, no question in my mind.

Old
08-03-2006, 10:51 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I said APPEARS up above because Sather may yet pull the trigger on a deal for a TOP 6 forward who might be made available beacuase of all the arbitration, RFA, and cap shenanigans...
I agree with that. He might simply sign Sykora as well.

Old
08-03-2006, 10:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

A scathing opinion on the Blues signing by St.Louis sports talk show host John Hadley

Quote:
MARTY AND PETR: What do Martin Rucinsky and Petr Cajanek have in common?

Three things come to mind… they’re both Czechs; they’re both underachievers and members of the St. Louis Blues. The facts that both can disappear for extended stretches, have questionable playoff resumes are other similarities conjured in the cranium.

Blues management attempted to sell the signing of Petr Cajanek based on his supposed magical alliance with Keith Tkachuk. After presenting the facts in a previous writing… I think it’s safe to say that wasn’t the case.

Among the spin on the Rucinsky signing is the fact that he knows Cajanek well. Isn’t that special… makes one want to burst out in chorus… all together… We are the World, We are the People.

Sure they know each other very well. It was Rucinsky that told Cajanek on several occasions never play unless you’re 100 percent. It was Rucinsky that annoyed his teammates literally talking Cajanek from playing in a game when he didn’t feel well. Based on Cajanek‘s play, maybe he misunderstood Rucinsky… did he interpret his good buddy to say, “Never play 100 percent
”?
Quote:
The Blues committed nearly $5 million over two years to a player that, save one series, has never produced in the playoffs. They committed nearly $5 million over two years to a player that hasn’t scored 20 goals since the 2000 season and has never scored more than 60 points in a season. They spent nearly $5 million on a player that has won how many Stanley Cups? They spent $5 million on a player that will stimulate enough tickets to maybe fill a row of seats.

On the flip side, had they been aggressive with Brendan Shanahan on the front end offering a two-year $6-to-6.5 million deal… he might have signed on the dotted line.

Of course, Shanahan has scored 30 or more goals every year since 1998 save three seasons (28, 25, and 20 in the shortened 1995 season). Maybe Blues management thought Shanahan had already maxed on Stanley Cup rings? Maybe Shanahan would sell too many seats hence proving problematic for the walk-up customers?
http://www.hadleyonsports.com/getRep...42801&size=595

Old
08-03-2006, 11:01 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I'm glad Rucinsky is gone, but not because I thought he didn't play well last year. I thought he was awesome, and him flipping the bird to those Philly fans and recounting the score using his fingers was one of the highlights of the year for me (and about the only one post-Olympics).

That being said, there just wasn't a place for him on this team considering his age and position. But he did a great job filling in last year when he wasn't injured. I personally like him as a player more than Straka (I think Rucinsky has more finish). I hope he finds some success in St. Louis, maybe on the wing with Weight and Guerin, because IIRC, Weight and Tkachuk didn't have great chemistry together. That's why Tkachuk played with Demitra when St. Louis had him.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote