HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs Interested in Mike Ribeiro

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 11:04 PM
fireworks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Mike Ribeiro would be the worst Leafs pickup since Jason Blake. A big fat NO THANK YOU.

I mean, this guy? The Leafs are on the road back to respectability and Ribeiro is an embarrassment to the sport.

Couldn't agree more...Ribeiro may just be my least fav. player in the NHL.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:10 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

***** assmother #100%garbage sissy GET UP! You big *****

Old
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Look I don't like him but the fact remains he's a MASSIVE upgrade over the guy currently in the top line C role. You talk about our depth at center and we do have depth but no #1 guy. Is ribs a #1 guy? he's damn close if he isn't.

Kadri is proving to be a #2 guy Add Ribs and the top 6 looks real good going forward.

JVR Ribeiro Kessel

Lupul Kadri ?

Even with that hole on the wring that's MILES better then what we have now.
He really isn't.

Ribeiro historically is about a .8 point per game player. He's primarily a playmaker, who's undersized. First two sound great, right??

The problem is -- that exact description could've been used to describe Tim Connolly... and look at what happened to him. Arrived, stayed healthy (uncharacteristic), and found that his superior playmaking skills did not make up for the fact that Bozak was better on the draws, and much more successful in the corners. Found his way to the 3rd line, lost his confidence, and now in the AHL. Ribs is better than Connolly, but certainly not by much, the biggest diference between the two is that Ribs knows how to stay healthy.

I'm not saying that the same thing would happen to Mike Ribeiro, but it's certainly a distinct possibility. Therefore, he may not even be an upgrade, suggesting that upgrade is massive, is just ridiculous.

In comparing JvR/Bozak/Kessel versus JvR/Ribeiro/Kessel... you'd have to look at how the dynamic would change. With Ribeiro, you've now got 2 open-ice players on a line with JvR -- problem being, JvR isn't a pure corner player. He's a guy who needs the open ice to thrive too. Sure, they'll be more dangerous off the rush, but in terms of puck posession, they'll be abysmal. Only 1 guy to dig in the corners, and Mike Ribeiro is terrible on draws. They may score another 5-10 goals in a 82-game season, but that doesn't do us a lot of good if they give up another 15. Remember, the Leafs have 33 goals in 29 games between their current trio. That's VERY respectable amongst top lines in this league.

If Toronto is going to trade acquire a #1 guy, it has to be a #1 guy that can play the same role that Bozak does -- just better than him. That's the role of a centre who is strong on the puck, excels in the faceoff circle, and is the first guy into the corners. The Leafs have a ton of firepower on the wings, they need a guy to do the dirty work. Of the centres who are impending UFA's, there isn't a better one for us than Tyler Bozak. In fact, if you go around the league, I suspect there's only about 20 guys who would definitely be better centres for Phil Kessel than Tyler Bozak... and I'm guessing that none of them would be available.

Last edited by seanlinden: 03-19-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 11:23 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
He really isn't.

Ribeiro historically is about a .8 point per game player. He's primarily a playmaker, who's undersized. First two sound great, right??

The problem is -- that exact description could've been used to describe Tim Connolly... and look at what happened to him. Arrived, stayed healthy (uncharacteristic), and found that his superior playmaking skills did not make up for the fact that Bozak was better on the draws, and much more successful in the corners. Found his way to the 3rd line, lost his confidence, and now in the AHL. Ribs is better than Connolly, but certainly not by much, the biggest diference between the two is that Ribs knows how to stay healthy.

I'm not saying that the same thing would happen to Mike Ribeiro, but it's certainly a distinct possibility. Therefore, he may not even be an upgrade, suggesting that upgrade is massive, is just ridiculous.

In comparing JvR/Bozak/Kessel versus JvR/Ribeiro/Kessel... you'd have to look at how the dynamic would change. With Ribeiro, you've now got 2 open-ice players on a line with JvR -- problem being, JvR isn't a pure corner player. He's a guy who needs the open ice to thrive too. Sure, they'll be more dangerous off the rush, but in terms of puck posession, they'll be abysmal. Only 1 guy to dig in the corners, and Mike Ribeiro is terrible on draws. They may score another 5-10 goals in a 82-game season, but that doesn't do us a lot of good if they give up another 15. Remember, the Leafs have 33 goals in 29 games between their current trio. That's VERY respectable amongst top lines in this league.
lupul-ribeiro-kessel
jvr-kadri-frattin
grabo/macarther-bozak-kulimen checking line

Old
03-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Mike Ribeiro would be the worst Leafs pickup since Jason Blake. A big fat NO THANK YOU.

I mean, this guy? The Leafs are on the road back to respectability and Ribeiro is an embarrassment to the sport.

Hey just a heads up, you linked to a video from 9 years ago. Not sure if you noticed or not.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:25 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
lupul-ribeiro-kessel
jvr-kadri-frattin
grabo-bozak-kulimen checking line
Again, Bozak is better than Ribeiro for playing alongside Phil Kessel.

Komarov & McClement are likely more useful checking line forwards than Ribeiro... and either way, the last thing we need is another forward.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Rielly4

Quote:
He really isn't.

If Toronto is going to trade acquire a #1 guy, it has to be a #1 guy that can play the same role that Bozak does -- just better than him. That's the role of a centre who is strong on the puck, excels in the faceoff circle, and is the first guy into the corners. The Leafs have a ton of firepower on the wings, they need a guy to do the dirty work. Of the centres who are impending UFA's, there isn't a better one for us than Tyler Bozak.
I sorta agree... I like Bozak, and wouldnt mind keeping him around as the top line center, i just think the other winger on the line has to be just as good as Kessel... Bobby RYan would be perfect. I like JVR-Kadri-Lupul as a great second line. Kulemin-Grabo-Macarthur is a good 3rd line and with keeping Bozak as our top line guy we should actually be able to afford Grabo but by the time Rielly Gardiner Reimer Kadri all need raises Grabo will be gone.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:29 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Again, Bozak is better than Ribeiro for playing alongside Phil Kessel.

Komarov & McClement are likely more useful checking line forwards than Ribeiro... and either way, the last thing we need is another forward.
has not taken us anywhere in 4 years, we seem to be stuck in park
bozak would be better as a checking center if he wants to have a future in this league

Old
03-19-2013, 11:31 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
I sorta agree... I like Bozak, and wouldnt mind keeping him around as the top line center, i just think the other winger on the line has to be just as good as Kessel... Bobby RYan would be perfect. I like JVR-Kadri-Lupul as a great second line. Kulemin-Grabo-Macarthur is a good 3rd line and with keeping Bozak as our top line guy we should actually be able to afford Grabo but by the time Rielly Gardiner Reimer Kadri all need raises Grabo will be gone.
keep players that have not taken us anywhere in 4 years going on 5

Old
03-19-2013, 11:32 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

I have made this point many oh times on the mock draft boards about Ribby, and that is that he is a legitimate first line centre. There are players better than him, yes. Is he the greatest defensively? No. Does he have a reputation for diving? He did (Not so anymore).

But, if you want a guy to produce as a top line centre, and want to actually have a shot at acquiring him, Ribeiro is the best in this category. Without any shadow of a doubt. With that said, would I want him on the Leafs? That would all depend on the cost of getting him, and the team's status by April 2nd. If we were an all-round better team, I'd be all in on Ribeiro. He's, literally, the best centre we could realistically hope for in a trade, or FA, and I think his play-making combined with Kessel's play-making would make for some sweet, sweet passing plays.

I haven't read the thread; but I can imagine that Caps fans aren't exactly lining up to deal him away right now, huh?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Numbers

Leafs have Bozak, Kadri, Grabovksi, Mclement, and Connolly in minors. Sure doesn't look like they need another center, so you would have to think Nonis has another deal lined up if they do this.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
I haven't read the thread; but I can imagine that Caps fans aren't exactly lining up to deal him away right now, huh?
We are... this team is pretty terrible and we don't want to lose him for nothing. He's been great for us, but most of us have come to accept that trading him makes the most sense.

P.S, long time no see.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
Realistically, there's nothing wrong with JvR in that spot. The guy has shown some pretty substantial improvement this year, and while Ryan has the impeccable reputation of being a mid-30 goal scorer while playing just about every game, it's not like JvR is a slouch in that department either.

JvR's career goals per game is .27, which paces to 22 goals per 82 games. If you take out his rookie season (4 seasons ago now), it's 26 goals per 82 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
has not taken us anywhere in 4 years, we seem to be stuck in park
bozak would be better as a checking center if he wants to have a future in this league
Just because we haven't gone anywhere with Bozak as the #1C, doesn't mean we should be looking to downgrade our top line.

If you want to propose the Leafs tear it apart and trade Kessel, then that's certainly another topic.

Quote:
I have made this point many oh times on the mock draft boards about Ribby, and that is that he is a legitimate first line centre. There are players better than him, yes. Is he the greatest defensively? No. Does he have a reputation for diving? He did (Not so anymore).

But, if you want a guy to produce as a top line centre, and want to actually have a shot at acquiring him, Ribeiro is the best in this category. Without any shadow of a doubt. With that said, would I want him on the Leafs? That would all depend on the cost of getting him, and the team's status by April 2nd. If we were an all-round better team, I'd be all in on Ribeiro. He's, literally, the best centre we could realistically hope for in a trade, or FA, and I think his play-making combined with Kessel's play-making would make for some sweet, sweet passing plays.

So what differentiates acquiring Ribeiro from Tim Connolly, other than the fact that Ribeiro will cost us assets?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:46 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Leafs have Bozak, Kadri, Grabovksi, Mclement, and Connolly in minors. Sure doesn't look like they need another center, so you would have to think Nonis has another deal lined up if they do this.
Other than maybe Kadri, none of those guys will come close to the production that Ribby has proved he can consistently put up. And, if we do trade for Ribby, seems as if Grabovski makes the most sense to be dealt currently (Simply because Carlyle under-utilizes him quite a bit, and Silent Jay can take over that shutdown role if needed).

The more I think about this though, the more I don't think it makes sense. Nonis is a very conservative GM, and trading youth for an established, older guy in this stage of the team's development may not be the greatest of moves. (I should clarify here, it would make us a great team, I just think the cost of giving up youth is a bigger cost to us than most other teams)

Again, it all depends on the cost. I just don't see it happening in my head, let alone IRL

Last edited by KesselLooksLikeRadar*: 03-20-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
So what differentiates acquiring Ribeiro from Tim Connolly, other than the fact that Ribeiro will cost us assets?
Uh... he's 5th in the league in scoring for Centers...

Old
03-19-2013, 11:49 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Uh... he's 5th in the league in scoring for Centers...
Great, it would cost us substantial assets. I guess the Leafs should be lining up to trade for Sam Gagner too???

No consideration for how his skill set actually fits in with the role we'd be trading for him to play in? JFJ is that you?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:

Maybe it's the fact that Ribeiro produces SIGNIFICANTLY more than Connolly through the majority of his years in the NHL (With exception to 2009-2010).

This season, Mike Ribeiro is fifth in centre scoring
2011-2012: Ribeiro 16th, Connolly tied for 61st
2010-2011: Ribeiro 9th, Connolly tied for 49th
I concede 2009-2010, but... Connolly tied for 20th, Ribeiro tied for 34th
2008-2009: Ribeiro 12th, Connolly tied for 45th

Ribeiro is quite easily a better point producer than Connolly by a fair margin. Ribby produces like a first line centre, Connolly like a 2nd, and when it comes to the Leafs, we have guys who can be second line centres (Namely Grabovski); but who is a consistently proven first line centre on this team?

That is the difference between Ribby and Connolly, and why Ribby is far more valuable.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

I've been suggesting for years to bring in Ribeiro and have been ripped apart by Leafs fans many times over. Hmmm lets see, we need a top 6 center, a guy who is a pass first center and can set up one of purest snipers in the league while coming in on a decent salary, not a terrible age...but OMG he dove a few times a decade ago! screw that! We desperately need a 70-80 point center but are so damn picky when our fanbase is in absolutely no position to be. Bozak is a third liner,Kadri has been great but isn't ready for first line pressure,Grabovski is...who the hell knows. Point is, when you haven't had a legit center since Sundin you shouldn't pass up a Ribeiro.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:04 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
***** assmother #100%garbage sissy GET UP! You big *****
You can rest easy knowing that he did indeed finally get up. There was a tear in the space time continuum and he heard you. He got up.

Seriously, you people disgust me. This happened the same year Bertuzzi almost crippled Steve Moore with a sucker punch to the back of the head. That guy shouldn't be playing hockey today but he is and when he's talked about that incident is brought up less frequently than the Ribeiro video.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:07 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
He really isn't.

If Toronto is going to trade acquire a #1 guy, it has to be a #1 guy that can play the same role that Bozak does -- just better than him. That's the role of a centre who is strong on the puck, excels in the faceoff circle, and is the first guy into the corners. The Leafs have a ton of firepower on the wings, they need a guy to do the dirty work. Of the centres who are impending UFA's, there isn't a better one for us than Tyler Bozak. In fact, if you go around the league, I suspect there's only about 20 guys who would definitely be better centres for Phil Kessel than Tyler Bozak... and I'm guessing that none of them would be available.
So you are telling me that a guy that has 1 80+ point year, 3 70 point years, 5 60+ point seasons, 8 50+ point seasons and is on pace for 53 points in 48 games which is what 87 points in 82 games? is not a better set up man for Kessel and JVR or Kessel and Lupul then a guy who has never cracked 50 points? and lets be honest if he wasn't on our top line would he get more then 35? probably not and I doubt he gets more then 30.

You are telling me that a PP of JVR Ribeiro Kessel Gardiner Phaneuf isn't better then JVR Kessel Bozak Gardiner Phaneuf?

now I'm not saying I want Ribeiro I don't really, unless he came as a UFA then he doesn't cost any assets, besides that he's 33 and personally I'm a fan of Statsny.

BUT the numbers speak for themselves Bozak could only DREAM of being as good as Mike Ribeiro

Old
03-20-2013, 07:20 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Maybe it's the fact that Ribeiro produces SIGNIFICANTLY more than Connolly through the majority of his years in the NHL (With exception to 2009-2010).

This season, Mike Ribeiro is fifth in centre scoring
2011-2012: Ribeiro 16th, Connolly tied for 61st
2010-2011: Ribeiro 9th, Connolly tied for 49th
I concede 2009-2010, but... Connolly tied for 20th, Ribeiro tied for 34th
2008-2009: Ribeiro 12th, Connolly tied for 45th

Ribeiro is quite easily a better point producer than Connolly by a fair margin. Ribby produces like a first line centre, Connolly like a 2nd, and when it comes to the Leafs, we have guys who can be second line centres (Namely Grabovski); but who is a consistently proven first line centre on this team?

That is the difference between Ribby and Connolly, and why Ribby is far more valuable.
That's mainly because of injuries... and that wasn't even a problem for Connolly last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
So you are telling me that a guy that has 1 80+ point year, 3 70 point years, 5 60+ point seasons, 8 50+ point seasons and is on pace for 53 points in 48 games which is what 87 points in 82 games? is not a better set up man for Kessel and JVR or Kessel and Lupul then a guy who has never cracked 50 points? and lets be honest if he wasn't on our top line would he get more then 35? probably not and I doubt he gets more then 30.

You are telling me that a PP of JVR Ribeiro Kessel Gardiner Phaneuf isn't better then JVR Kessel Bozak Gardiner Phaneuf?

now I'm not saying I want Ribeiro I don't really, unless he came as a UFA then he doesn't cost any assets, besides that he's 33 and personally I'm a fan of Statsny.

BUT the numbers speak for themselves Bozak could only DREAM of being as good as Mike Ribeiro
No, I'm telling you that Tyler Bozak is a better LINEMATE for Phil Kessel (and Lupul/JvR) than Mike Ribeiro. I have no doubt that Ribeiro would help them score more goals, but that difference would definitely be more than offset by the goals against. That line does not have problems scoring goals, where they have problems, is keeping it out of their net.

Phil Kessel is never going to be a good defensive player, the way you insulate that is by giving him linemates with size who are strong on the puck, and can maintain posession in the offensive zone. Tyler Bozak is far superior in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I've been suggesting for years to bring in Ribeiro and have been ripped apart by Leafs fans many times over. Hmmm lets see, we need a top 6 center, a guy who is a pass first center and can set up one of purest snipers in the league while coming in on a decent salary, not a terrible age...but OMG he dove a few times a decade ago! screw that! We desperately need a 70-80 point center but are so damn picky when our fanbase is in absolutely no position to be. Bozak is a third liner,Kadri has been great but isn't ready for first line pressure,Grabovski is...who the hell knows. Point is, when you haven't had a legit center since Sundin you shouldn't pass up a Ribeiro.
You're missing by far the most important component -- Phil Kessel's centre needs to be strong on the puck, and successful in the dirty areas of the ice. That isn't Mike Ribeiro. We're better off with a guy who doesn't neccessarily have the playmaking ability, but somebody who can keep the +/- of that line respectable. The way you keep +/- up, is by keeping the puck in the offensive zone. You generally can't be scored on when you have posession of the puck 200 feet from your own net.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:32 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

+/- is random.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:33 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
+/- is random.
+/- is a metric of a group of players overall success, and how it contributes to the team's overall success.

edit: An interesting tidbit of information... Tyler Bozak is 3rd in the league in faceoffs taken, and 11th in the league amongst centres in ice time. He's one of 15 guys who play more than 20 minutes a night, and that list includes Stamkos, Crosby, Koivu, Tavares, Duchene, Getzlaf, Stepan, E. Staal, Kopitar, Datsyuk, Stastny, Zajac, Sedin and Backstrom. He leads all forwards on his team in ice time & shifts, is #2 in powerplay time and #4 in shorthanded time.

That should tell you something about how valuable Randy Carlyle considers Tyler Bozak to this team. You do not ditch a guy like that to bring in a 1-dimensional guy like Ribeiro. The Leafs have plenty of firepower. They need to be better defensively.

Last edited by seanlinden: 03-20-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 07:54 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 7 - 4

Would something around Grabovski work for the Cap's?

Ribeiro would be a much needed upgrade on Bozak.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:56 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Would something around Grabovski work for the Cap's?

Ribeiro would be a much needed upgrade on Bozak.
Wouldn't for the Leafs.

If they trade Grabovski, they'll need a true checking line centre to replace him... Ribeiro isn't that type of player.

Closed Thread