HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
03-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
You know what I was thinking!
A player who plays bigger than his size and one who is not afraid of the physical aspect of the game, to stand in front of the net, tie up a defender, and to try to screen the goalie.
!!!

Moulson may be the best in the league in doing what you describe.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Macch

Is anyone else reading Capuano's comments on the Isles twitter feed? Its like he chooses to praise our worst players

You like the way KO is playing? He's getting top six minutes, and has ZERO points in his last 4 games. Colin McDonald and Casey Cizikas have more points than him in less games played. Yeah great job KO

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Islanderfan17

Do Capunao apologists still exist?

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Is anyone else reading Capuano's comments on the Isles twitter feed? Its like he chooses to praise our worst players

You like the way KO is playing? He's getting top six minutes, and has ZERO points in his last 4 games. Colin McDonald and Casey Cizikas have more points than him in less games played. Yeah great job KO
well in fairness, scoring or not, Okposo has played well the last few games.

But he should have been on the 3rd or 4th line a long time ago. it's also high time he got Moulson off JTs wing.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:57 AM
LetsGoIslanders

I was a Capuano apologist, but I've had enough after buying a ticket for that game. I said to myself during the 2nd intermission at 3-1, "It's over, the Senators will win." Of course I was right. It's so ****ing inexcusable. I saw the GWG and headed for the door.

Get it over with now. Promote Weight to head coach NOW. Let's see if Doug can motivate these schmucks to the playoffs.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:27 AM
ekill08x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
I was a Capuano apologist, but I've had enough after buying a ticket for that game. I said to myself during the 2nd intermission at 3-1, "It's over, the Senators will win." Of course I was right. It's so ****ing inexcusable. I saw the GWG and headed for the door.

Get it over with now. Promote Weight to head coach NOW. Let's see if Doug can motivate these schmucks to the playoffs.
So it was over when we were up 3-1? Why bother going to the game if thats literally your expectations up 2 goals going into the 3rd?

ekill08x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:

And that is exactly the problem. Take a team like the Senators, they are very much undermanned but they have a great coach who can get the most out of his roster. Capuano has a more talented roster than this current Karlsson and Spezza-less roster yet he cannot get as much out of them as Maclean can get out of the Sens. Just goes to show how huge a difference a good coach can make IMO.

And before anyone says it, I don't think our roster is so bad that "Al Arbour couldn't make this team any good". We have a roster that is capable of competing for one of those bottom playoff spots, plain and simple.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekill08x View Post
So it was over when we were up 3-1? Why bother going to the game if thats literally your expectations up 2 goals going into the 3rd?
I have to admit that I was thinking the same thing going into the 3rd. They've blown leads in the 3rd too many times in recent years to think that any lead is safe until the game is actually over.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Isles Chick 89

Would it be bad to say id rather see Rick bowness behind the bench than Fred flinstone? Childhood memories..

Isles Chick 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I have to admit that I was thinking the same thing going into the 3rd. They've blown leads in the 3rd too many times in recent years to think that any lead is safe until the game is actually over.
Was watching the Florida with a guy who never watches hockey said change the channel Isles are up 3 no chance they blow it.. I said you have no what kinda horrors this team is capable of no lead is safe and then they went on to blow the lead. I don't care if we are up 5 goals I'll still be nervous until the final horn blows.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:58 AM
12Dog

Why were Streit and Visnovsky on the ice together in the final minute of a tie game?

12Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Dog View Post
Why were Streit and Visnovsky on the ice together in the final minute of a tie game?
Pretty sure it was during the Ranger game where he had Vis, Hickey and Reasoner killing the OT penalty. It's like he just rolls whoever's next in his head without considering the situation on the ice at all.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
More than anything else, I'm sick of having a coach who so readily and casually shifts blame and negative attention on to his players (see: last night's comments on the first line). Sometimes — perhaps almost all the time — the players will in fact be to blame for a down performance. A good coach, though, is a buffer between his players and negative media/fan attention. Only a mediocre, insecure coach gratuitously throws his players under the bus.

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Dog View Post
I asked the very same question myself last night in sec 338

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:09 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I asked the very same question myself last night in sec 338
they play hahduh.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:11 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Chick 89 View Post
Would it be bad to say id rather see Rick bowness behind the bench than Fred flinstone? Childhood memories..
I still think Butch Goring is a better coach.

Going back two decades, he WAS a much better coach.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:30 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Pretty sure it was during the Ranger game where he had Vis, Hickey and Reasoner killing the OT penalty. It's like he just rolls whoever's next in his head without considering the situation on the ice at all.
That is exactly what he does. He had the JT line out for a defensive zone draw against Ottawa's top line in the third. Why? I would rather see any other line out in that situation, both because any other line is better defensively and because I want JT's line to be put into more offensive situations.

It is very clear to me that Capuano is out of his depths as an NHL coach. Nothing against him personally, he seems like a nice enough guy. Just wish he was a better coach.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Isles Junkie

I agree with a lot of what Capuano says in his post game interviews. But what I don't understand is why he says things like "the way we're built we have to work hard & battle every single shift," but then he just lets multiple top 6 players coast through games. Make them accountable already, don't just say they need to work hard & then do nothing when they don't work hard.

That is why that even if his message is correct, he's not the right man for this job because he isn't getting the players to buy in. Maybe another coach, one who is even saying the same exact thing will be able to get through to them.

There's been about 5 games this season that would have prompted other clubs to make a change. It's not to late, just fire him already. He is not the answer.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I agree with a lot of what Capuano says in his post game interviews. But what I don't understand is why he says things like "the way we're built we have to work hard & battle every single shift," but then he just lets multiple top 6 players coast through games. Make them accountable already, don't just say they need to work hard & then do nothing when they don't work hard.

That is why that even if his message is correct, he's not the right man for this job because he isn't getting the players to buy in. Maybe another coach, one who is even saying the same exact thing will be able to get through to them.

There's been about 5 games this season that would have prompted other clubs to make a change. It's not to late, just fire him already. He is not the answer.
Actually, listening to the last few post games, I got the feeling he has been trying to get help from Snow to fix some glaring needs and we got Carkner back or Aucoin back or whetever....like he KNOWS Snow got all these sittable players so he wouldn't have to get help all year. No trades, just consider the healthy scratch the help you need.

Regardless, he's not the right guy for the job unless you're a cheap miser SOB criminal fraud who owns a team and doesn't care if it wins one game.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:05 PM
MilburyRuinedMyLife

Does anyone here seriously not believe this Isles team would be significantly higher in the standings with a Daryl Suter level coach in charge? It would be night and day.

MilburyRuinedMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:30 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:

I know people are saying Dougie has no NHL experience but I'm all for this move...I would actually like to see Lindsey Ruff as a coach here but mid-season I think this would be the time to promote Weight....We still have a shot at the playoffs but we need something for these guys to rally around. Weight might be that thing...Wishfull Thinking I'm guessing but my 2 cents

Last edited by CaptDenisPotvin: 03-20-2013 at 07:38 PM.
CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Can anyone tell me how many 3rd period leads we've had this year?

I think its gotta be around 20 games.

Last edited by Sheva7: 03-20-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
To be fair, no lead is safe in the "new" NHL. Ever since the league made it a point to reduce the clutching and grabbing and put an end to refs "swallowing the whistle" in the 3rd period, there are a lot more opportunities for teams to come back. Would be interesting to see the stats on that but I'd bet that there are a lot more 3rd period comebacks in recent years than there were in the past.

Also, it is not uncommon for inexperienced teams to blow leads. Especially teams with little to no depth that rely heavily on a few key players. Fatigue becomes a factor.

I'm not so sure that any coach could do significantly better with this lineup. Coaches aren't judged by line combos or when they call a timeout. They are judged by results. And right now, I don't know how anyone can argue that the Isles are overachieving. 2/3 into the season, .500 record and 3 points out of a playoff spot? Hell, I would've jumped on that when the season started.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
xECK29x

From Staples live chat:

Comment From Nick
If there were to be a coaching change over the summer, what are the chances of an outside hire? Could a Lindy Ruff, Dallas Eakins or Mike Haviland be in the mix?

Staple:
Nick -- I'd think there's a good chance of someone from outside coming in. Snow did that with Scott Gordon, so he's not averse to searching around. I'd bet it would be an up-and-coming AHL coach over a veteran NHL coach, but that's just from past history.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Metrostars

Maybe every fan of every team says this, but I feel like we blow more 3rd period leads and opportunities than any other team

And that to me, is a sign of coaching.

It's a sign we can play with, and beat the other teams, but they figure something out mid-game that they can exploit.We simply don't seem to have that ability to adjust mid-game, and that responsibility has to be squarely on the coach

Metrostars is offline   Reply With Quote