HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: NBCSN closing in on Big East rights (mod edit: Big East, ESPN agree to TV deal)

Old
02-15-2013, 08:00 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Big 10 took the first step by no longer scheduling any FCS teams which i think is a step in the right direction. They also did indicate that they are moving to a 9 or 10 team league schedule as soon as Maryland and Rutgers join the league in 2014.
Yea, exactly. The schedules are getting close to this anyways.

Another good thing is this idea eliminates the polls anything. It would go right off the standings. And the non-conf games count toward the playoff standings, no more conf and overall records. Without doing that, the non conf would just become a de facto preseason.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
At most, I wouldn't be surprised if a few Canadian universities tried it out in Division I-FCS so as to serve as a mecca for Canadian basketball players to compete in March Madness and still field teams in lower-level competition in non-FBS football and other sports, but no chance that they're picked up by a major conference.

As for where else they can pull teams, there's still the Big 12. They're still on incredibly shaky grounds, all things considered, and if the Pac 12, Big Ten, and/or SEC want to expand there again, then they'll do so. I could definitely see the Pac 12 going after Texas Tech, Texas, and the Oklahomas again (likewise with the SEC more than willing to probably grab Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, too). If desperate to get an even number, maybe even a compromise with UNLV, Nevada, or BYU if independence isn't as rosy as they would've thought.
Schools like Carleton could easily compete in basketball. I also think if more D1 existed on the west coast that SFU would look into D1 hockey. Right now it would be too expensive for them.

In terms of super conferences, it will happen evantually. Someone along the way will likely hold their nose, take the plunge, and invite Boise St as a football only. It will be too hard to deny a good football program with a 53,000 stadium that is a big enough draw to decide its own nationally broadcasted games outside of their conference's influence.

As the B1G showed, it doesn't even matter if a city cares about the sport. If you can force cable companies to put your network on tv because you now have a team in that market, you make money. (Rutgers in NYC) A few big tv markets still in small conferences as examples would be:

-UNLV (Las Vegas)
-Houston
-SDSU (San Diego)

Last edited by cutchemist42: 02-15-2013 at 09:08 AM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:06 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Schools like Carleton could easily compete in basketball.
I doubt it. The best players in high school basketball (unless they're from Canada and there aren't a lot of them) aren't going to want to go to school in Ottawa. They'll go to the Dukes, North Carolinas, Kentuckys, Ohio States, Arizonas, UCLAs of the college basketball world.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:10 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I doubt it. The best players in high school basketball (unless they're from Canada and there aren't a lot of them) aren't going to want to go to school in Ottawa. They'll go to the Dukes, North Carolinas, Kentuckys, Ohio States, Arizonas, UCLAs of the college basketball world.
Carleton draws the best Ontario players that don't get into an NCAA top tier program and realize Carleton is an awesome school within a few hours drive. I've heard it said by too many NCAA coaches on visits up here that Carleton could easily hang in D1 basketball.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:02 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Carleton draws the best Ontario players that don't get into an NCAA top tier program and realize Carleton is an awesome school within a few hours drive. I've heard it said by too many NCAA coaches on visits up here that Carleton could easily hang in D1 basketball.
Travel is probably going to be the biggest issue with any canadian school. Dont get me wrong id love it if the University of Manitoba was in a conference with North Dakota for hockey but i just cant see it happening.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:41 PM
TMC1982

WILL ESPN BLOCK NBC'S ENTRY INTO COLLEGE SPORTS ONCE AGAIN?

Quote:
NBC Sports Network has been pegged as the new home for the dilapidated Big East with a reported offer of $20-23 million dollars per year for the conference's television rights. Yet there's one final bridge to cross before the Big East calls the peacock home - SI's Pete Thamel reports the Big East's current home ESPN will have one last chance to match the NBC offer.

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
When Cincy and UConn eventually bolt to even out gaps in the ACC, the Big East won't even exist
Good. The Big East was stupid in letting the basketball schools drive it instead of the football schools. I'm glad Pitt is in the ACC now....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:28 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
Good. The Big East was stupid in letting the basketball schools drive it instead of the football schools. I'm glad Pitt is in the ACC now....
I'd argue they were stupid to let football schools in to begin with. It was meant to be a basketball conference for schools mainly in urban areas. Should have been like the A10 and stayed a non-football conference (I know they had I-AA football for awhile, but not including that). Had they did that, they wouldn't need to break up as they are about to do.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
AdmiralsFan24

ESPN matches NBC's offer. Honestly I think this is a blessing in disguise for NBC. They didn't need a mediocre and dissolving conference to fill up a bunch of programming. That wasn't going to get people to watch.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D.../Big-East.aspx

Old
02-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Mwd711

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
ESPN matches NBC's offer. Honestly I think this is a blessing in disguise for NBC. They didn't need a mediocre and dissolving conference to fill up a bunch of programming. That wasn't going to get people to watch.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D.../Big-East.aspx

So, you think airing CAA and Ivy League sports is better? I don't. For all of the Big East's problems its still heads and shoulders better than any college deal NBCSN has. I don't think too many people can get excited over Delaware VS. Maine football games. NBCSN airs a handful of Mountain West games, but outside of that, their football coverage is atrocious and loaded with subdivision games. Its hard to take the network seriously when they are showing such low level football. NBCSN averaged just over 100,000 viewers for their CFB games in 2012. A diluted Big East would've done much better.

College basketball isn't really any better and with the CAA and A10 likely losing some teams, those conferences will lose more clout. NBCSN's ratings are awful and having zero major college deals won't help them any. Hopefully, soccer helps but either way, NBCSN still needs more content.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Big East football games are going to average 0 viewers pretty damn soon.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwd711 View Post
So, you think airing CAA and Ivy League sports is better? I don't. For all of the Big East's problems its still heads and shoulders better than any college deal NBCSN has. I don't think too many people can get excited over Delaware VS. Maine football games. NBCSN airs a handful of Mountain West games, but outside of that, their football coverage is atrocious and loaded with subdivision games. Its hard to take the network seriously when they are showing such low level football. NBCSN averaged just over 100,000 viewers for their CFB games in 2012. A diluted Big East would've done much better.

College basketball isn't really any better and with the CAA and A10 likely losing some teams, those conferences will lose more clout. NBCSN's ratings are awful and having zero major college deals won't help them any. Hopefully, soccer helps but either way, NBCSN still needs more content.
I never said the CAA or Ivy League is better and I wouldn't have put them on the Network if I was in charge but just because it's better than the CAA and Ivy League doesn't mean you should go after it.

They really needed to go all in on baseball to get one of their packages, even if they had to overpay but they didn't. Getting a shell of what the Big East was isn't going to move the needle at all so paying $20 million per year for it didn't make much sense to begin with.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:14 PM
EbencoyE

Isn't Temple in the Big East now? No wonder the Philly Sports Network wanted the rights.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Isn't Temple in the Big East now? No wonder the Philly Sports Network wanted the rights.
That had little to do with it. Temple isn't Texas.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:54 PM
sh724

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ording-sources

The Catholic 7 are leaving next season and keeping the big east name. With TV rights going to Fox Sports at $3 mil per team per year. It is to be announced on Tuesday at a press conference announcing Fox Sports 1 & 2. Without the 'Catholic 7' the amount ESPN has to be will be reduced but it does not say by how much. Basketball next season was worth $10 mil with all teams and only worth a total of $20 mil for the rest of the contract.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
TMC1982

Looking back at nbc sports network's lack of growth

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/...th-part-i.html

Quote:
Big East Rights And Being Blocked Out Of College Football

ESPN has quite an accomplished history in meddling with realignment and conference expansion. This is most noticeable in regards to the Big East, who ESPN offered $135 million per year not so long ago, an offer which was rejected. The end result a year later was the Big East getting pummeled to the point where they had to accept a deal for $20 million a year, a fraction of the former offer, with the same company.

How did such a fall occur?

With ESPN having extensions in place for the ACC, PAC 12, SEC, and Big 12, in addition to several years left with the Big Ten, Bristol seemed to take on an active role in advising conferences on conference realignment. Boston College's AD infamously spilled the beans to the Boston Globe:

“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV – ESPN – is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

The end result being conferences with long term deals with ESPN absorbing the more lucrative schools from the Big East, whose deal was winding down and future was uncertain.

Adding insult to injury, after a mass exodus of the conferences top tier schools, the basketball only core members left to become "The Catholic 7" and are reportedly going to land with Fox.

To recap, ESPN helped usher the big money schools towards conferences they had long term deals with. The instability debilitated the Big East to a point that the basketball schools left for Fox. Meanwhile the Big East took it in the chin so badly their rights plummeted to less than 1/7th what was on the table a year ago and to a point where ESPN could afford to match NBC's offer to keep them out of the college game again.

While still not worked out, ESPN will supposedly offload some of the Big East's package to Fox Sports 1. Yet another successful game of keep away with NBCSN unable to outmaneuver the combined forces of Fox and ESPN.

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:17 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Creighton, Xavier, and Butler joining the Catholic-7 to form the new Big East.

The "Conference to be named later" is a mess - I feel sorry for UConn.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-butl...7558--spt.html

Quote:
Butler, Creighton and Xavier will join the so-called Catholic 7 schools in the new basketball conference keeping the Big East name, a person familiar with the situation said Tuesday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement will not take place until Wednesday, when it will be made in conjunction with a news conference on the league's broadcast deal with Fox.

Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette and DePaul left to form a new league for next season.

The Catholic 7 negotiated to keep their basketball tourney in Madison Square Garden. Xavier and Butler are leaving the Atlantic 10, while Creighton departs the Missouri Valley Conference.

Meanwhile, their old colleagues announced a broadcasting deal with ESPN on Tuesday. The unnamed conference's contract for football, basketball and other sports runs through the 2019-20 season and pays about $20 million a year.

Along with a new name, that league still needs a conference basketball tournament site, a revenue-sharing system and a 12th football member.

For those trying to keep score at home, the currently unnamed league will include South Florida, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Temple, Memphis, Central Florida, SMU and Houston in 2013. East Carolina and Tulane are to join in 2014, and Navy is scheduled for football in 2015.

The conference is seeking a 12th football school so it can play a title game in '15.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:36 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post

Why was UConn so slow to do anything...or in this case, didn't do anything at all?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:05 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Why was UConn so slow to do anything...or in this case, didn't do anything at all?
What could they do? The ACC doesn't want them.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:12 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
One might argue that Comcast/NBC just poison pilled ESPN on that deal.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:49 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
What could they do? The ACC doesn't want them.
I just figure that some conference would want them, just based on their B-Ball team alone. Maybe the America 12 will let them in?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:07 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post

Not bad. Those are three good basketball pickups for the "new" Big East.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I just figure that some conference would want them, just based on their B-Ball team alone. Maybe the America 12 will let them in?
UConn is severely disadvantaged by geography... the ACC is the only option there and Boston College doesn't want them. The persistent rumor is that the ACC would take Cincinnati over UConn when or if they need another team.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:08 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Just speaking as a curmudgeon, it's absurd to turn on the ACC tournament and see Miami vs. Boston College. All due respect to those programs, but most of the appeal of conference play disappears when the teams have no geographic or traditional significance.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:16 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That had little to do with it. Temple isn't Texas.
It's not like NBCSN has a shot at any of the bigger conferences, so Temple might very well be NBCSN's "Texas".

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote