HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Calle Järnkrok

Old
03-19-2013, 02:51 AM
DRWCountryClub

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
The notion came when the cap came in, we already overpay the depth guys right now a little too much. If you have Helm and Tootoo down there that is four million without the other guy, too much for my liking.

I get what you are getting at, I just don't like using non-cap world comparisons to make the point. Sure Sheahan could still be cheap on an entry level and the minutes can be tinkered around with, but I have no faith in Babcock to actually follow that plan either. When given the young guys he doesn't distribute the minutes if it costs his guys. So yes the hope is Sheahan becomes second line guy, because otherwise Helm and Andersson have him in big trouble because Babcock loves them.
Yeah, I guess I didn't think that one through.

My point was though, that I don't think you should slot a guy in because of some predetermined level that he is at. If you've got a better third line guy than Helm, get him in there, for example.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Is Jarnkrok a faster or more powerful skater than Nyquist?
No, I don't think so.

Take Derek Stepan and you pretty much have the same player.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:53 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
No, I don't think so.

Take Derek Stepan and you pretty much have the same player.

jarnkrok = grabovski (leafs)

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:05 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Some Patrick Kane guy is listed at 5'11, 181lbs. I bet he's too small and weak to excel in the NHL. Hawks must be idiots for having him up with the big club, if he was on the Wings he'd be in the AHL where he belongs!

/sarcasm

Seriously, people overrate size way too much on this board, on this team, and around the league. The top five scorers right now are all 6'0 or under, and only Crosby weighs 200lbs.

If Jarnkork has the skills, get him in the NHL or some seasoning in the AHL. And if Sheahan is good enough to be the teams 3rd liner(aka better than Helm) get him on the third line. Where did this notion come from that Helm is too good to be a fourth liner? This is a team that used to have Lucky Luc and Larionov on the fourth line. Let's have a guy who's too good to be on the fourth line on the fourth line because it makes the team better than others...
And Kane is 5´11 maybe, maybe with he's skates on.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
If Jarnkork has the skills, get him in the NHL or some seasoning in the AHL. And if Sheahan is good enough to be the teams 3rd liner(aka better than Helm) get him on the third line. Where did this notion come from that Helm is too good to be a fourth liner? This is a team that used to have Lucky Luc and Larionov on the fourth line. Let's have a guy who's too good to be on the fourth line on the fourth line because it makes the team better than others...
Agreed. Helm being our 4th line center would be awesome. To have that kind of depth for 4 solid lines would be incredible and a good thing. Then they move up a line if Datsyuk leaves and have Z, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Helm as our 4 centers.

Hendricks433 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:19 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
jarnkrok = grabovski (leafs)
With a more consistent effort, atleast?

I'd take a Stepan or Grabo anyday.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

If Jarnkrok isn't faster or more powerful on his skates than Nyquist, then he's not ready to be a center in the NHL

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
ChadS

Quote:
If Jarnkrok isn't faster or more powerful on his skates than Nyquist, then he's not ready to be a center in the NHL
I think he might be faster, but it's quite hard to compare the speed of two players playing in different leagues as well as different size rinks. Strenght on his skates is even harder to compare since NHLers are generally much stronger and often bigger than in Europe. He's a very good skater, that's all I can say.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I think he might be faster, but it's quite hard to compare the speed of two players playing in different leagues as well as different size rinks. Strenght on his skates is even harder to compare since NHLers are generally much stronger and often bigger than in Europe. He's a very good skater, that's all I can say.
Two very different skaters. Jarnkrok is a full speed, short shift player. More similar to how Tatar skates. Nyquist is a shifty skater, stands still at times and then accelerates from his check. Nyquist's top speed compares, but he uses it very differently. I'd say that generally Nyquist's style of play requires more strength, which could be a reason he's having a hard time.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to think he will have that type of impact in his first couple of seasons. Maybe by the 15/16 season he can be that legitimate 2nd line center if things go as you hope. Even if a lot of the initial draft risk is gone, he's still far from a sure thing.
I'm not expecting an instant impact from the guy, but if he's the real deal, Detroit needs him up to speed with the NHL game as soon as he's able. I don't see the old standby of being overripe really working for Detroit when it comes to Jarnkrok.

If you're right and he can't trusted to nail down the 2C spot until 15/16, then Kenny has to find a C via UFA or trade this year or next to replace Datsyuk. I don't have faith in Flip to handle the job, and I also don't think Kenny can go down the Lidstrom path again and wait until Datsyuk's gone to try to replace him.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:35 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
I don't think they need any more centers. They have D and Z for the top two lines, Helm for the third, and then take your pick between Emmerton, Abdelkader, Andersson, Sheahan, etc for the fourth.

My questions would be:

Can he play the wing?
Will he shoot the puck, or will he pass 99% of the time like too many of these other top 6ers?
Is he fast enough, shifty enough, strong enough, and smart enough to stand up to the punishment he'll take in the NHL?

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I don't think they need any more centers. They have D and Z for the top two lines, Helm for the third, and then take your pick between Emmerton, Abdelkader, Andersson, Sheahan, etc for the fourth.

My questions would be:

Can he play the wing?
Will he shoot the puck, or will he pass 99% of the time like too many of these other top 6ers?
Is he fast enough, shifty enough, strong enough, and smart enough to stand up to the punishment he'll take in the NHL?
Datsyuk won't be around forever.
Abdelkader, Andersson and Emmerton will never be top 6 centers (on a decent team). Maybe Sheahan will. MAYBE.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Datsyuk won't be around forever.
Abdelkader, Andersson and Emmerton will never be top 6 centers (on a decent team). Maybe Sheahan will. MAYBE.
As Brandt once said, "this is our concern, Dude."

We are good on centers right now, but if Datsyuk leaves after next season, we either hope that Jarnkrok shows #2C chops right away or Sheahan blows away expectations... not sure how likely either is to happen, so I think Kenny will have to bring in a scoring C. Not buying Flip at all in that role, either.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

I think Jarnkrok can play a similar role to Huberdeau on the Panthers. Shifty winger who can contribute some offense until he fills out and then slide him to Center when he's ready.

I hate how overrated size is on this board. Huberdeau's about 170 pounds soaking wet and the kid's playing great this year when I watch Panthers games.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:26 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Is his team out of the playoffs yet?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Is his team out of the playoffs yet?
Yes, they were eliminated.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:09 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

According to Håkan Andersson, Järnkrok will go to detroit next friday, stay there for a week, watch a few games, meet the guys, maybe practice, but he won't play he says

It also says there's a chance, albeit small, that Järnkrok can stay in Brynäs next year if Detroit thinks he's not ready for the NHL after the summer training camp for prospects

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16453781.ab

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
According to Håkan Andersson, Järnkrok will go to detroit next friday, stay there for a week, watch a few games, meet the guys, maybe practice, but he won't play he says

It also says there's a chance, albeit small, that Järnkrok can stay in Brynäs next year if Detroit thinks he's not ready for the NHL after the summer training camp for prospects

I think this is the right decision. Give him a proper preseason with the wings for next season and let him play for Sweden in the Worlds.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:

That would be awful if he plays in Sweden next year.

He won't play in Grand Rapids?

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

I'm not sure since the quote about him maybe staying in Brynäs is from the Brynäs "GM", and they don't always have all the information in these matters, they should have asked Håkan that question and not Brynäs' general manager

Thing is though, I'm pretty sure every NHL team would/could find a way to make a fit for Järnkrok on their NHL Roster... Detroit however.. is kind of unique, so you never know....

Hopefully the wings beat writers or similar get an interview with him/management/wings scouts when he comes over here in the next little while so we can be more sure.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
It also says there's a chance, albeit small, that Järnkrok can stay in Brynäs next year
1% chance for Brynäs
10% chance for Red Wings
89% chance for Grand Rapids

Quote:
If he plays, would he lose one year of his ELC ?

Quote:
I'm not sure since the quote about him maybe staying in Brynäs is from the Brynäs "GM", and they don't always have all the information in these matters, they should have asked Håkan that question and not Brynäs' general manager.
In Finland it has been very common that GM's talk and try to mislead some season ticket buyers with keeping some star names and possible NHL leavers on discussion, even though they know for 100% they are gone. When they are contracted to two teams, it's a bit stupid, but understandable.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:35 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
1% chance for Brynäs
10% chance for Red Wings
89% chance for Grand Rapids
Sort of like:

Should be 89% chance for Wings and 10% chance Grand Rapids, but your estimation is probably closer to the truth

Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Hendricks433

Quote:
I'm not sure since the quote about him maybe staying in Brynäs is from the Brynäs "GM", and they don't always have all the information in these matters, they should have asked Håkan that question and not Brynäs' general manager

Thing is though, I'm pretty sure every NHL team would/could find a way to make a fit for Järnkrok on their NHL Roster... Detroit however.. is kind of unique, so you never know....

Hopefully the wings beat writers or similar get an interview with him/management/wings scouts when he comes over here in the next little while so we can be more sure.
We should and could make room for him. Bring in Tatar, Nyquist and Jarnkrok next season and let our old mediocre guys go. We could still compete while getting the youth experience and having them learn from Datsyuk and Z while theyre still here.

Hendricks433 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
ChadS

Pretty much what I expected. Although I don't like even the slightest chance of him playing in Sweden next year.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:36 AM
joe89

The stay at home part isn't even a quote, just clueless Swedish reporter making guesses.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote