HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

XBOX 360 vs. PS3 vs. WII (ALL Discussion Here)

View Poll Results: Preferred Gaming System?
PC 34 18.99%
Xbox 360 56 31.28%
PS3 75 41.90%
None, I just lurk around this forum because cool kids post here 10 5.59%
Wii 4 2.23%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 10:41 AM
  #551
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
o.O it says ps4 box unveiling don't think thats the release date.
That's from January 14th, lol. Before the console was even announced

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
  #552
Integrai
Registered User
 
Integrai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Any chance Wii U gets a NHL game ? It has Fifa and Madden, so I think it should, but the Wii never had an EA Sports NHL game so I don't know.

Integrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
  #553
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrai View Post
Any chance Wii U gets a NHL game ? It has Fifa and Madden, so I think it should, but the Wii never had an EA Sports NHL game so I don't know.
The Wii had EA NHL Slapshot which is actually a really good game.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:57 AM
  #554
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrai View Post
Any chance Wii U gets a NHL game ? It has Fifa and Madden, so I think it should, but the Wii never had an EA Sports NHL game so I don't know.
With EA and Nintendo going through their pissy fit, who knows. Nintendo might cave if EA says no Battlefield on the Wii U or something, or no sports games. Until then, expect Nintendo to be "winning" their little arguements.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:09 AM
  #555
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 38,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
The Wii had EA NHL Slapshot which is actually a really good game.
"Really good games" don't score a 76 average at Metacritic.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:37 AM
  #556
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
"Really good games" don't score a 76 average at Metacritic.
I don't care what the score was. I have it and I enjoy it as do my kids. I have NHL 11 on the PS3 and my kids always choose NHL Slapshot over NHL 11.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
  #557
Rabid Ranger
Drifter
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Old School
Country: United States
Posts: 19,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
"Really good games" don't score a 76 average at Metacritic.
Do you put the same stock in their movie reviews?

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
  #558
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Do you put the same stock in their movie reviews?

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012
Eh?

To be fair, Metacritic is used as a standard in game publishing (games come with contract clauses that give performance bonuses based upon their metacritic score).

Movies come with no such clause, and thus Metacritic loses a bit of steam, especially when compared to a comparable site like http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/

Metacritic uses a much smaller sample size for movies, thus Rottentomatoes is probably way more accurate

But I digress, that's a wee bit off topic, carry on


Last edited by Orpheus: 03-08-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:19 PM
  #559
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 22,941
vCash: 420
I seem to recall a time when Neely hid behind Metacritic's numbers when I challenged the quantity of "good" games in Wii's library. Hmmm...

__________________
Hardly Human
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:18 PM
  #560
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 38,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Do you put the same stock in their movie reviews?

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Eh?

To be fair, Metacritic is used as a standard in game publishing (games come with contract clauses that give performance bonuses based upon their metacritic score).

Movies come with no such clause, and thus Metacritic loses a bit of steam, especially when compared to a comparable site like http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/

Metacritic uses a much smaller sample size for movies, thus Rottentomatoes is probably way more accurate

But I digress, that's a wee bit off topic, carry on
OT: This has been covered long time ago at the Entertainment section but Metacritic doesn't translate to LISTING movie reviews as well because the movie reviewers have such varying scoring methods, some have 5 stars, some 4 (like Ebert), some only positive or negative and some don't even have a scoring system but let their article do the talking. So Rottentomatoes is infinitely better in that it only lists positive and negative reviews.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:11 PM
  #561
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,642
vCash: 500
I lost my BF3 disc, and i woulnd really want to spend another 10-20$ to get another one. I have the BF3 premium which i downloaded inside the game.

So is it possible that i download the 60 minute trial from PS-Store, then re-download the premium from BF3 ? Anyone tried this ?

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
  #562
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 38,968
vCash: 500
February NPD stats: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524145

Quote:
Software:

1. Dead Space 3 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts - 605K
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, Wii U PC) Activision Blizzard
3. Crysis 3 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts - 260K
4. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC) Take-Two Interactive
5. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3, 360) Konami
6. Aliens: Colonial Marines 2013 (360, PS3, PC) Sega
7. Just Dance 4 (Wii, 360, PS3, Wii U) Ubisoft
8. Far Cry 3 (360, PS3, PC) Ubisoft
9. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3, PSV) Sony
10. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, Wii U) Electronic Arts

XX. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS Retail): 117K
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS Digital): 63K
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon LTD (DS): 250K
Quote:
Hardware:

For sure numbers:
Xbox 360: 302K (-29.1%)
PS3: 263K (-26.9%)
Wii U: 66K (70% of them were Deluxe consoles.)

Nintendo Ecosystem (DS/3DS/Wii/Wii U combined): 455K

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
  #563
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,319
vCash: 738
Probably a very simple answer that I'm not aware of... but when I see these types of sales numbers for games I guess there's a lot of sales happening and money being made.

But then if you look at a site like YourGamerCard and compare achievements or trophies with the community that played it, you'll have like 35,000 people that have played NHL 13.

Are the remaining 415,000 people offline or something?

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:30 PM
  #564
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 38,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Probably a very simple answer that I'm not aware of... but when I see these types of sales numbers for games I guess there's a lot of sales happening and money being made.

But then if you look at a site like YourGamerCard and compare achievements or trophies with the community that played it, you'll have like 35,000 people that have played NHL 13.

Are the remaining 415,000 people offline or something?
Not that many people are registered at sites like that. I'd say it's mostly people who like to brag or curious. I registered at gamercards.net or whatever it was called out of curiosity.

On the other hand I have several people on my friends list who play BO2 or other CoD games but have like zero gamer score from those games because they only play multiplayer and traditionally you only get achievements from single player campaign.


Last edited by Jussi: 03-20-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
  #565
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,319
vCash: 738
I think you answered my question. Knew it should have been obvious.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:57 PM
  #566
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,487
vCash: 500
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/03/1...72657b5e00000b

Quote:
Today, Sony revealed that it has partnered up with an all-new development studio – Ovosonico – in order to create “new intellectual property.” In other words, new PlayStation exclusives. Whether or not the developer will simply come up with concepts or deliver the games that spawn from new IP remains to be seen.
Sony is really going all out here.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
  #567
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
As I posted in the Versus thread:
Rumor:
FFVersus 13 now FFXV, Ps4 exclusive, co-developed with Sony.
http://www.vgleaks.com/final-fantasy...lusive-on-ps4/

If true, that is a gigaton and two console mainline FF's skipping out on Microsoft.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
  #568
Schalkenullvier*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: tief im westen
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
I tossed around the idea of getting a ps3... I'm not a big gamer so I never really had a console, but the lack of NHL 13 on PC bothers me and I want to get FIFA games running too. So far I was content, but now in order to keep new games running, I'd have to get a new pc or upgrade the old one just for games. So, my question: With ps4 on the horizon, will there be a drop in ps3 prices? And I heard that Sony kept supporting ps2 online and kept bringing out the new games for it too, so you guys think it would be worth lagging one behind and getting a ps3 for this casual gamer?

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
  #569
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
As I posted in the Versus thread:
Rumor:
FFVersus 13 now FFXV, Ps4 exclusive, co-developed with Sony.
http://www.vgleaks.com/final-fantasy...lusive-on-ps4/

If true, that is a gigaton and two console mainline FF's skipping out on Microsoft.
PS4 exclusive! Wow! Huge blow to Microsoft. They're really gonna have to blow it out of the park when the present the 720 in....when are they presenting again?

Right now PS4 is looking like the must-have system but it's obviously waaaaaay too early to consider it the winner.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:55 PM
  #570
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
I tossed around the idea of getting a ps3... I'm not a big gamer so I never really had a console, but the lack of NHL 13 on PC bothers me and I want to get FIFA games running too. So far I was content, but now in order to keep new games running, I'd have to get a new pc or upgrade the old one just for games. So, my question: With ps4 on the horizon, will there be a drop in ps3 prices? And I heard that Sony kept supporting ps2 online and kept bringing out the new games for it too, so you guys think it would be worth lagging one behind and getting a ps3 for this casual gamer?
Yes, and it will probably get a price drop by the end of the year.

Xbox dev tools leaked by the way:
http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

Confirmed:
- Always online
- Kinect mandatory
- Mandatory installs of every game, but you can play while installing
- Bluray drive

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:57 PM
  #571
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
As I posted in the Versus thread:
Rumor:
FFVersus 13 now FFXV, Ps4 exclusive, co-developed with Sony.
http://www.vgleaks.com/final-fantasy...lusive-on-ps4/

If true, that is a gigaton and two console mainline FF's skipping out on Microsoft.
HOLY ****! what's the other one dude!?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:01 PM
  #572
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Yes, and it will probably get a price drop by the end of the year.

Xbox dev tools leaked by the way:
http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

Confirmed:
- Always online
- Kinect mandatory
- Mandatory installs of every game, but you can play while installing
- Bluray drive
as a sony fan this is awesome to hear as a game that sucks like hell.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
  #573
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
HOLY ****! what's the other one dude!?
FF14 is PC/PS3 only because SE doesn't like Microsoft's policy on MMOs.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
  #574
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
FF14 is PC/PS3 only because SE doesn't like Microsoft's policy on MMOs.
ah okay! nice FF15 might be huge then for ps4 launch. would be epic.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
  #575
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 38,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Yes, and it will probably get a price drop by the end of the year.

Xbox dev tools leaked by the way:
http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

Confirmed:
- Always online
- Kinect mandatory
- Mandatory installs of every game, but you can play while installing
- Bluray drive
One of the comments there(actually might be from a different site, The Verge):

Quote:
Well if you actually read the source and not just the verge’s FUD you’d find that it doesn’t mention anything about requiring an internet connection to play games.

NOTHING in the leaks talks about DRM or requiring internet connections to play. However, it does specifically mention downloading patches and updates while the console is in standby.

The always on DRM-thing is an old separate rumor that isn’t even half as solid as this one.


Last edited by Jussi: 03-20-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.