HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are Nonis's strengths/weaknesses/tendencies

Old
03-20-2013, 07:38 AM
sommervr

vCash: 500
What are Nonis's strengths/weaknesses/tendencies

I can't find any info on the web. Don't know much about the guy. Is he risk averse corporate type or will he try and make a mark?

sommervr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:40 AM
416Leafer

I don't think there's a big enough sample size of him as a head GM.

In Vancouver, he made a blockbuster trade for Luongo, but was pretty quiet through all the trade deadlines.

Burke mentioned that Nonis did most of the work behind the Phaneuf and I believe Beachemin trades, so maybe that's an indication that he tends to do big trades?

From what he says, he's less likely to move significant futures the same way Burke did.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:41 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

going off of vancouver fans dont expect anything big, like a deal out of LF to win the bidding war, he doesn't like trading away future and has a big mark on the canucks franchise today with most of the players he neglected to trade (which is good, no prospects out)

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:50 AM
JackJ

Not as willing to trade draft picks especially first rounders.
Extremely patient and respects the draft.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:57 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
going off of vancouver fans dont expect anything big, like a deal out of LF to win the bidding war, he doesn't like trading away future and has a big mark on the canucks franchise today with most of the players he neglected to trade (which is good, no prospects out)
would schenn jvr have happened, this stance works both ways

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:08 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
hes a puppet till the real MLSE head of hockey operations starts here .....they ll give him a year maybe ......we are running out of playoff chances again

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:27 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
? i dont see what your getting at. and BB was the GM then still... idk if your trying to find fault with my post or not, it isn't very well written.

What i was trying to post before is that Nonis, from Vancouver fans, they said he had a lot of plug ins and wouldn't trade prospects (edler, kesler idk the others schneider maybe) and really go for it, but then again Vancouver never really was that good when him and Burke were there.

edit: and idk if u know this but JVR was drafted only 1 year before schenn...

Old
03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
His strength is he has no weakness because he doesn't do anything, his weakness is he has no strength because he doesn't do anything, he has no tendency because he doesn't so anything.

Joking aside, very patient, avoids big roster moves, builds through the draft with moderate drafting success, good at re-signing players to reasonable contracts.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:34 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
? i dont see what your getting at. and BB was the GM then still... idk if your trying to find fault with my post or not, it isn't very well written.

What i was trying to post before is that Nonis, from Vancouver fans, they said he had a lot of plug ins and wouldn't trade prospects (edler, kesler idk the others schneider maybe) and really go for it, but then again Vancouver never really was that good when him and Burke were there.

edit: and idk if u know this but JVR was drafted only 1 year before schenn...
You were saying he holds on to them. I was just saying would he hang to Schenn rather then swapping for JVR. Change is good and so far Nonis hasnt really done anything of substance other then moving guys for late picks.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
sommervr

So basically a patient risk-averse /build from the ground up guy. Perhaps just a placeholder for this year?

sommervr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:09 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
So basically a patient risk-averse /build from the ground up guy. Perhaps just a placeholder for this year?
Is this the right market for those qualities? And by market I mean ownership and media more specifically than the minority of the fans that preach picks picks picks.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
no. not even close.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
His strength is he has no weakness because he doesn't do anything, his weakness is he has no strength because he doesn't do anything, he has no tendency because he doesn't so anything.

Joking aside, very patient, avoids big roster moves, builds through the draft with moderate drafting success, good at re-signing players to reasonable contracts.

Pretty much.

I'd say he's the pollar opposite of a Paul Holmgren for example.

Holmgren is a GM with ADHD. He can't NOT do anything. He's always turning over his roster, trying to sign players, trades players he just signed, acquires guys' rights (Hartnell, Hamhuis, Bryzgalov, etc).... Holmgren is a very proactive GM who's constantly trying to piece together moving parts.

Nonis is a lot more calm, slow, methodical. For the most part Nonis lies in the weeds, and just waits. Every GM will make a splash occasionally but Nonis is the type to do it very rarely. He's timid. Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing (sometimes the best trade you make is the one you don't) but Nonis is definitely a more cautious GM.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:38 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
From his time in Vancouver:

- Very patient with trades (orchestrated the Lu deal, turned down B. Richards for Edler, Kesler and Schneider)
- Good at identifying roster weaknesses (Canucks lacked scoring)
- Gives rookies roster spots before they earn it (Raymond was supposed to make top 6, didn't make the team)
- Plugs holes with reclamation projects/bargain bin (top 6 consisted of Brad Isbister, Jan Bulis instead of legit talent)
- trades away 2nd rounders consistently
- drafting is very weak (check the 2007 Canucks draft)

Doesn't address holes in rosters with legit talent but usually gives rookies/projects a chance in the beginning of the season - similar to the Reimer/Scivens tandem IMO. Usually deals 2nds or later picks at the TDL for "help". This might work better with a rebuilding team like the Leafs who have players like Kadri/Gardiner to step up.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Rinzler

I prefer a more cautious approach right now, so I'm good with Nonis. The Leafs have stockpiled a lot of young assets and it's time to see what we have and build the right way and not risk moving a young player who could turn out to be a gem.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Pretty much.

I'd say he's the pollar opposite of a Paul Holmgren for example.

Holmgren is a GM with ADHD. He can't NOT do anything. He's always turning over his roster, trying to sign players, trades players he just signed, acquires guys' rights (Hartnell, Hamhuis, Bryzgalov, etc).... Holmgren is a very proactive GM who's constantly trying to piece together moving parts.

Nonis is a lot more calm, slow, methodical. For the most part Nonis lies in the weeds, and just waits. Every GM will make a splash occasionally but Nonis is the type to do it very rarely. He's timid. Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing (sometimes the best trade you make is the one you don't) but Nonis is definitely a more cautious GM.
I don't disagree with your assessment. But the Philly situation has as much to do with their impatient owner, Ed Snider as much as the people he handpicks to be the GM. In Toronto, we still have to see how much autonomy the GM will be given by the new ownership. So far it is looking good for Nonis and his style.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

It's possible he'll stay, but I'm not even sure Nonis is going to be the GM past this season. Right now I see him as very much an interim/caretaker.

It would make very little sense to be unhappy with the results the hockey organization produced and then fire Burke while leaving everything else that produced those aforementioned results intact. No sense at all, actually.

I'm sure Bellgers will want to hire their own guy as President, who will probably want his own GM, and so on. That's the way these things typically work.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Stephen

Everyone's cautious these days...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
In response to his drafting being poor. He's not the one who drafts, not alone, he has a team of scouts, a different team of scouts than he had in Vancouver.

In response to him not making big roster moves. Burke credited him for Phaneuf/Beauchemin trades, and he did the Luongo deal.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
It's possible he'll stay, but I'm not even sure Nonis is going to be the GM past this season. Right now I see him as very much an interim/caretaker.

It would make very little sense to be unhappy with the results the hockey organization produced and then fire Burke while leaving everything else that produced those aforementioned results intact. No sense at all, actually.

I'm sure Bellgers will want to hire their own guy as President, who will probably want his own GM, and so on. That's the way these things typically work.
I disagree with the bold, but agree with the part below that.

Burke made two mistakes here as GM.

1) Kessel Trade - You replace Kessel with Seguin/Knight/Hamilton, and you have an an excellent rebuilt core group. Decent up front, Seguin/Kadri/Frattin/JvR/Colborne/Biggs/Ross/Ashton/Knight and very good on the blue line, Rielly/Hamilton/Gardiner/Finn/Percy/Blacker/Holzer, with a good enough goalie tandem Riemer/Scrivens. That trade changes A LOT of things on this team.
2) Wilson not being fired - Wilson ruined Beauchemin, we saw this when he returned to Anaheim, he ruined Schenn for us and Komisarek, his system is terrible on big steady d-men who aren't very mobile.

You take away those two moves, we're a similair team now with a much better future, and a much less frustrated fan base

Nonis we've heard, was against the Kessel deal. We also heard he wanted to bring in Dallas Eakins sooner.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:04 AM
napoleon in rags
Bernier the boats

He's not working hard enough. He should have his tie undone by mid morning; that would be a sure sign of his effort.

napoleon in rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by napoleon in rags View Post
He's not working hard enough. He should have his tie undone by mid morning; that would be a sure sign of his effort.

This guy gets it

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:42 PM
tml145

i am happy Nonis will be patient

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote