HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Ice Whole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I posted this in another thread but though I should bring it here.

What would we need to add to make a deal around N Schultz + Jones for Clowe + Boyle. I think Boyle's passing would help us a lot and he's still got some good years left in him. And Clowe would be perfect with RNH and Eberle.

SJ is in a tail spin right now and might be looking for a shakeup kind of deal. Especially one where they save some cap space for next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I like it.

I think in this instance, we have to throw in our first round pick and a legit defensive prospect.
The Oilers definitely wouldn't throw in their first round pick for that package.

Ryan Clowe's value is extremely low and Sharks fans (from what I have read on the boards) want him gone. The guy doesn't have a goal still and maybe needs a change of scenery. I really hope we do target him because I think having him play alongside RNH and Eberle will help out both Ebs and Nuge a lot.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:24 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
The Oilers definitely wouldn't throw in their first round pick for that package.

Ryan Clowe's value is extremely low and Sharks fans (from what I have read on the boards) want him gone. The guy doesn't have a goal still and maybe needs a change of scenery. I really hope we do target him because I think having him play alongside RNH and Eberle will help out both Ebs and Nuge a lot.
The first round pick is really for Boyle.

Seriously.

Having Justin Shultz and Boyle as your first PP is ridiculous.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:26 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
I like it.

I think in this instance, we have to throw in our first round pick and a legit defensive prospect.
Really? That much? SJ does need to clear up some cap space for next season and a deal like this saves them 5.2M

I don't want to lose the 1st this season. If the 1st was required then I'd pass on the deal. I was thinking our 2nd + Marincin/Gernat or something like that.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:27 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Really? That much? SJ does need to clear up some cap space for next season and a deal like this saves them 5.2M

I don't want to lose the 1st this season. If the 1st was required then I'd pass on the deal. I was thinking our 2nd + Marincin/Gernat or something like that.
Yeah, that's more reasonable.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:31 AM
dixs35

Quote:
I like it.

I think in this instance, we have to throw in our first round pick or legit defensive prospect.
fixed it.

With Boyle's cap hit I don't see him costing a tonne with the cap going down. Lets be honest Clowe has been bad, You might see a GM get desperate and move a 1st ala Gaustad last year but I see it more as a 2nd + for him.

Schultz + Jones + Marincin + 2nd may be enough. TD though makes for crazy GMs and this year could be ridiculous with so many teams in the hunt.
edit. beat me to it S7ark

Old
03-20-2013, 05:24 AM
doubledown99

I wouldn't give up a 1st In that package for Boyle. I like him but that is a big price to pay. Say we even make the playoffs with the trade the pick is likely to be 16th. That could very well mean Lazar.

At worst Lazar is a 3rd line center. He could be a more offensive version of Mike Richards. THe players in this draft are much better than normal. So not in favor of trading the pick away unless a long term piece is coming back as well.

I personally still like the following deal (which i proposed before) but know people will rip me for including Gagner:

Gags, Hemsky, Petry (maybe 2nd rd pick)
For
Ott, Foligno, Myers

We ad grit, size, toughness, faceoff abilty (Ott) and a project/potential homerun in Myers

Foligno-Nuge-Ebs
Hall-Ott-Yak

Dekeyser-JS
Smid-Myers
Schultz-Fistric

(Yeah I'm being hopeful that we can sign Dekeyser who scouts are saying can play in the top 4 now for any NHL team)

Old
03-20-2013, 06:46 AM
Fourier

Quote:
The first round pick is really for Boyle.

Seriously.

Having Justin Shultz and Boyle as your first PP is ridiculous.
If they don't trade him the Sharks may end up having to buyout Boyle. At a cap hit of $6.6M and a year left on his deal there is no significant market for a soon to be 37 year old smallish offensive defenseman with 12 points in 26 games.

I think that the Sharks would seriously consider Jones and N. Schultz for Boyle and Clowe if they decide to blow it up.

From the Oilers perspective, if they sign Clowe and keep Boyle they have added a significant amount to their cap next year. YOu are looking at $5-6M more in cap space over Schultz and Jones. I am not at all sure they would do this, and certainly they would not if it was also at the expense of their 1st.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Mr Sakich

you can pretty much forget about the sharks being sellers, they are in the mix for a playoff spot. If anything, they might look to add.

This deadline will be interesting as you won't see as many rental type deals. there just isn't that many teams out of the hunt. Only 2 or 3 teams will be truly sellers.

Most of the trades will be old fashioned hockey trades. Two teams deal from a position of excess to add to a position of need. one area of excess/need will be cap space as the new cba allows teams to retain salary.

IMO, a team like philly has two young centres (Schenn and coutourier) who play a similar role might be the best option for us. They need defence and maybe a goaltender. A deal for one of them (then trade gagner for defence to a team like the leafs) could work.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:53 AM
longtimeoilfan

San Jose being in the West and in much the same spot as the Oil in terms of making the playoffs probably means that any trade wouldn't happen until the summer. I doubt that either GM wants to risk being the guy that propels a rival team up the standings - in a tight race.

Philly, however, might be a different story. Hartnell?

Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
LaGu

I have a question regarding Paajarvi, and I am not trying to stir anything up despite that I may be nitpicking stats a bit.

Do you think that there is a possibility that he will be traded come April 3? I definitely want him to stay and I think he also wants to remain here but there are some factors that I could "provoke" a trade scenario. Basically these factors are all related but I'll still list them one by one.

1) His place on the depth chart on the current roster. Hall, Eberle, Hemsky and Yakupov are ahead of him and despite him getting to see more ice time right now I think that once these players take off (some already have) he will be a 3rd liner and probably not have the same quality of players surrounding him as he does right now.

2) Salary: I guess he needs to be signed to a contract this year if we are to keep him. If (and that's a big if) he is able to keep up the scoring pace he has been on over the last 15 games (0.4 GPG) I think it might be difficult to sign him for the sums I have heard being thrown around (1.5-2.5 mil). This is tricky though since even if he does manage to keep it up he will still not have a full season under his belt playing like he does right now. I am thinking a bit of Loui Eriksson who had two "meh" seasons split between AHL and NHL after which he managed to break out as a good two-way forward in his third year (0.43 GPG). But his GPG was over 82 games so of course there is a difference there, he got a 4.25 mil/year over 6 years contract.

3) His career: If his agent, or PRV himself, thinks that he is able to keep up this kind of goal scoring pace I bet that at least his agent will be pushing for him to be playing on a 2nd line. Again this would most lightly mean that he needs to change teams.

It may be that my reasoning in this matter is wrong, but I bring it up since it's been on my mind for the last couple of weeks.

I haven't even considered what a possible return might be for PRV in a trade but I guess that since he's young and starting to show potential in more than just defense it might be enough to get veteran 3rd liner(?).

Old
03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Bobblehead

I don't think they trade PRV unless its a package for huge upgrade on the blueline (Pieterangelo, Staal, Bogosian, Subban types). Hard to decide if he's going to be another Mats Lindgren or a Mikael Samuelsson. Detroit always had it right with their young Euros..... let them play and develop at their own pace and don't force them into a top 6 role until they're ready. Look at the Sedins (23), Franzen (26), Holmstrom (24), Naslund (22) even Datsyuk (24) and Hudler (24) ..... they seem to take a HUGE leap development wise around that 22-24 years of age.... same as Gagner? Coincidence? Probably not. We're looking for big bodies that can skate, isn't that exactly what PRV is? He may never be an intimidating power forward, but his speed open up ice for others, he's starting to battle harder in the corners, he's responsible defensively.... I think he's a perfect fit for 2 or 3 line.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Too bad Brian Campbell still has so many years left on his contract. I bet Florida would love to dump that albatross. Mark Streit might be available in the next couple of weeks

Old
03-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Philly will be interesting to team to watch at the draft and in free agency. I have a feeling they will be able to trade for Seth Jones. If they have top 10 pick I think (if they choose) they will guaranteed to walk away with Jones. Phi 1st + Couts/B. Schenn probably gets it done
yeh.. Flames would probably pull the trigger on that

Old
03-20-2013, 09:46 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I don't think they trade PRV unless its a package for huge upgrade on the blueline (Pieterangelo, Staal, Bogosian, Subban types). Hard to decide if he's going to be another Mats Lindgren or a Mikael Samuelsson. Detroit always had it right with their young Euros..... let them play and develop at their own pace and don't force them into a top 6 role until they're ready. Look at the Sedins (23), Franzen (26), Holmstrom (24), Naslund (22) even Datsyuk (24) and Hudler (24) ..... they seem to take a HUGE leap development wise around that 22-24 years of age.... same as Gagner? Coincidence? Probably not. We're looking for big bodies that can skate, isn't that exactly what PRV is? He may never be an intimidating power forward, but his speed open up ice for others, he's starting to battle harder in the corners, he's responsible defensively.... I think he's a perfect fit for 2 or 3 line.
I agree with basically everything you write here but mostly I am concerned with his upcoming contract. How much can we afford to pay him, how much is he worth? Especially considering that we will have some holes in the defense that need to be filled over the summer, RNH and Schultz next year and then Yakupov in two years.

If he continues like this I think it will come down to a judgement call where we have to weigh his importance to the team and his salary against the possible returns we could get for him in a trade. There are some big "if's" in this situation, but I can honestly say that I am not at all sure of what the outcome of that kind of judgement call will be.

Last edited by LaGu: 03-20-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I agree with basically everything you write here but mostly I am concerned with his upcoming contract. How much can we afford to pay him?

If he continues like this I think it will come down to a judgement call where we have to weigh his importance to the team and his salary against the possible returns we could get for him in a trade. There are some big "if's" in this situation, but I can honestly say that I am not at all sure of what the outcome of that kind of judgement call will be.
We gave Petry a 1.75M deal and he was in a similar situation... moving between AHL\NHL and by the end of ELC playing major minutes in NHL and contributing..
Gagner scored a lot more and got a 3.2M deal after the ELC ..
Paajarvi will be getting something in between these 2 contracts depending on how he goes rest of the way.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Hypothetical of course. It would take the Oilers putting a really good string of wins together, and Dallas and NYI flopping

Jones, Rieder, and a 2nd for Jagr

Potter and Musil for Streit

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Jagr-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Brown-Belanger-Petrell
Smyth

Petry-Smid
Streit-J.Schultz
Whitney-Fistric
Peckham

Old
03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
488fitter

vCash: 210
Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Jagr - Nuge - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gags - Yak
Brown - Boyle - Jones/Petrell

Old
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Too bad Brian Campbell still has so many years left on his contract. I bet Florida would love to dump that albatross. Mark Streit might be available in the next couple of weeks
Can Florida dump Campbell and still be above the cap floor?

And i would love streit, he is my #1 offseason target (him, Mcarthur, Hainsey in case you were wondering) but apparently NYI are trying to sign him to a 2 year deal right now.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Jagr - Nuge - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gags - Yak
Brown - Boyle - Jones/Petrell
Nice. I wouldnt mind Brian Boyle. I know he doesnt use his size at all but Belanger doesnt fit on this team at all. Plus he really bugged me after Yakupovs celebration. Just doesnt seem like he would be well liked in the locker room

Old
03-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Nice. I wouldnt mind Brian Boyle. I know he doesnt use his size at all but Belanger doesnt fit on this team at all. Plus he really bugged me after Yakupovs celebration. Just doesnt seem like he would be well liked in the locker room
meh.. Yak finds him funny so he cant be that bad...

"AO: Who's the biggest jokester on your team?

NY: I'd say it's Eric Belanger. He's from Quebec. He really cracks me up. He's got quite a few years under his belt, but I'm telling you – his jokes are the best! You just gotta love him! He's telling all sorts of stories, does impressions and so on. I love it."

Old
03-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Hypothetical of course. It would take the Oilers putting a really good string of wins together, and Dallas and NYI flopping

Jones, Rieder, and a 2nd for Jagr

Potter and Musil for Streit

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Jagr-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Brown-Belanger-Petrell
Smyth

Petry-Smid
Streit-J.Schultz
Whitney-Fistric
Peckham
Personally I'd hate to move Musil, at this point, for a rental.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:07 AM
488fitter

vCash: 210
Quote:
Yeah at this point I could care less if he wins faceoffs. I'd rather watch this team chase the puck to retain possesion then watch it with Belanger on it.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
Yeah at this point I could care less if he wins faceoffs. I'd rather watch this team chase the puck to retain possesion then watch it with Belanger on it.
Belanger is also our best PKer.. Unless we get someone who is ready to steal his spot I dont mind his lack of offense or physical play. I also dont want any more 'young' players..
Hoping Belanger steps up his game ala Peca of 06 IF we make it into playoffs..

Old
03-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Personally I'd hate to move Musil, at this point, for a rental.
So would I but I'm sure the NYI would hate to move Streit for anything less. I still wouldnt propose this on the trade board

Old
03-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Belanger is also our best PKer.. Unless we get someone who is ready to steal his spot I dont mind his lack of offense or physical play. I also dont want any more 'young' players..
Hoping Belanger steps up his game ala Peca of 06 IF we make it into playoffs..
That's really subjective, because Petrell's "looked" like that this year, but they pull him out of the lineup and the PK doesn't miss a beat.

Clearly you have to replace Belanger with something more then just "some kid", but he should be moved out of town, his "try" level isn't good enough.

Closed Thread