HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 08:43 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I do trust the Avs drafting skills which has been very good these past few years. But I'm still scared we will screw this up. There are so many "half-busts" who have gone between 5-10th. Like Brett Connolly, Nino Niederreiter, Scott Glennie.

If we do draft first overall, should we take Jones? How many 1st overall defenseman have actually lived up to the expectations? I guess we shouldn't care about earlier busts and just take the one we think are the best.

Would Jones be NHL-ready straight away?m
the expectations of a top 5 pick is to be either a franchise scorer or a franchise goalie. since most goalies aren't regarded that highly anymore in most cases it's a scenario where you're expected to be a 80+ pt producer or you're a bust.

no defensemen is going to score quite that much unless he's a once in a lifetime type.
you look at a lot of the defensemen we Avs fans drool over and they were taken top 5-8. most guys taken #1 have size,speed and are laterally smooth skating but they usually turn into shut down types rather than huge point producers.

so if the expectation is to be elite on offense then no, a D man drafted #1 overall can't live up to expectations.
but if the expectations are to be a shut down type with some solid offense then yes they do live up to them.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
I do trust the Avs drafting skills which has been very good these past few years. But I'm still scared we will screw this up. There are so many "half-busts" who have gone between 5-10th. Like Brett Connolly, Nino Niederreiter, Scott Glennie.

If we do draft first overall, should we take Jones? How many 1st overall defenseman have actually lived up to the expectations? I guess we shouldn't care about earlier busts and just take the one we think are the best.

LOL what?

Jones IS 1st overall, who cares about the history of defensemen at number one because Jones is clearly better, and he would be on the team next year.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
You realize that 5 - 10th is just a number and there could be 30 different selections depending on the team that is picking at that point. The player is independent of the number..

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
From everything I've read, yes.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
With only 20 games left in the season and the Avs playing some of the worst hockey I've ever seen them play, it's time to start looking at the standings and the draft. Sitting pretty at 29th right now and only two points up on the Panthers. We have a couple of games in hand though.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
With only 20 games left in the season and the Avs playing some of the worst hockey I've ever seen them play, it's time to start looking at the standings and the draft. Sitting pretty at 29th right now and only two points up on the Panthers. We have a couple of games in hand though.

This team is just too good to finish bottom 2.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:04 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

i'm praying from now til the draft that we get him. that's a franchise game changer.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
You underestimate Sacco's Tanking Power!

I'm expecting HIM to take out the team late to strip bars on the road, getting them wasted the nights before the games. Hell, it might ALREADY be happening!!

Old
03-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

I havent had the chance to really see Jones play this year. How much offensive upside does he truly have? Are his numbers highly depended on the fact that he plays on an absolute power house of a team consisting of the league's top 3 scorers? I'm always hesitant of prospective players that play on stacked teams such as Portland.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

There are some doubters, even among Portland fans that watch him. Physically there's no doubt he's ready, but I've seen some comments from Portland fans that are critical of his decisions at times. The general consensus is yes though. Many thought he was NHL ready this year.

If he ended up with the Avs, I think we'd have to really see how he looks in camp, and the 10 game tryout to know for sure though. He may benefit from a little extra patience, you never know.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
There are some doubters, even among Portland fans that watch him. Physically there's no doubt he's ready, but I've seen some comments from Portland fans that are critical of his decisions at times. The general consensus is yes though. Many thought he was NHL ready this year.

If he ended up with the Avs, I think we'd have to really see how he looks in camp, and the 10 game tryout to know for sure though. He may benefit from a little extra patience, you never know.
This scares the crap out of me

Old
03-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
This scares the crap out of me
It's hard to tell how accurate they are, or if the posters that made them know much about the game, or are just being uber critical with a 18 year old.

There were only a few, but they were overwhelmed by Portland fans that called them out for being too critical, and that he was a stud in the making. Some were critical of not hustling enough out there, but again the pro Jones posters were quick to point out that he almost always puts himself in good position, so he doesn't' have to run around out there.

I don't think there should be a great deal of concern, but as always with prospects, especially top three pick defenseman, you have to wonder where the balance between the haters, and the hype train is. That's the kind of thing only a true top NHL scout can do, and even they get it wrong all the time.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:46 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
And yet, there we are.

I'm honestly good with whoever we would pick if we got a top-3 pick.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
We can still tank for Jones. Don't stop believing in this. **** will get done with Sacco in charge.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Way too early to start thinking about a top three pick. I don't think Avs will finish that low in the end. The team is reasonably healthy and won't be a big seller at deadline. I still think they'll pick closer to 10th than 1st.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Way too early to start thinking about a top three pick. I don't think Avs will finish that low in the end. The team is reasonably healthy and won't be a big seller at deadline. I still think they'll pick closer to 10th than 1st.
You think they'll pick closer to 10th? They're in 29th place, with only 20 games to go and only two points ahead of 30th Florida. That's basically like being in 29th place at the trade deadline of a normal length season.

Maybe they'll prove their supreme hot/cold nature and turn it on here, but they've been healthy for a few games, and they've lost four in a row.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 03-20-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 01:27 AM
avsfan89

I really hope Avs draft Drouin, even with Mackinnon on the board.

That being said, I wouldn't be upset with Jones being taken. I just think Avs are VERY thin at the wings in terms of elite offensive finishing/scoring prospects.

Never draft based on need but I can't help but think with siemens, elliot, barrie even beaupre coming up for defense and dutch/o'reilly taking up center duties you can't miss out on drafting Drouin.

He'd already be better than McGinn on Dutch's line.

Drouin - Duchene - Parenteau

Landeskog - O'Reilly - (downie, jones, Free agent, or player from Stastny trade)

Old
03-20-2013, 02:10 AM
PAZ

Jones isn't NHL ready imo. He'd be able to play in the NHL, but he wouldn't excel in the NHL. From what i've saw, Pouliot looks more NHL ready than him, and he's still not anywhere close to the Pens.

If we draft Jones, i'd rather him play one year in the WHL, one year in the AHL, and then bring him up. Maybe a few call ups, but don't keep him up until he's consistent to be a solid #2-3. I still think Drouin is going to be the best player from the draft. I also think with Portland losing a lot of key players in the next year, it would be a great experience for Jones to be their leader.

I really don't see us in 10th, i'd place money it's anywhere from 1-8. If we had a competent coach and had Barrie up, i'd have more faith. The way it stands? Nope.

Last edited by PAZ: 03-20-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Foppa Frossa

But some guy on twitter said that Jones is the next Lidstrom.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:09 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
I have bad feeling we will beat Dallas in the two games this week. Two losses would really solidify the tank.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:35 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
I'm fully on the Jones train now. Being drafted by the team that made you fall in love with hockey just feels like it NEEDS to happen. I can guarantee management and the scouts have him as their #1 and it would explain the tank. Similar to Duchene, the organisation wants another poster boy who will play his heart out for his childhood team.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Draft Jones and let him develop. No rush. We'll probably be **** again next year and get another top 3 pick. The roster is overloaded with crap.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Draft Jones and let him develop. No rush. We'll probably be **** again next year and get another top 3 pick. The roster is overloaded with crap.
Man, TPS you seem like you're in the same mood I am, a mood of "I won't be messed with today"....if that's the case I hope your day gets better, mine won't because I'm stuck at my POS job

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles

Last edited by RockLobster: 03-20-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 10:05 AM
JeffFingerDiscount

vCash: 171
That run we went on in 2010 really screwed up the rebuild. We can't even tank properly.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
But some guy on twitter said that Jones is the next Lidstrom.
I don't think that's the right comparable. He's closer to a mix between EJ and Doughty in my opinion rather than a guy like Lidstrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I don't necessarily agree. I think we could have a team that is capable of competing for the playoffs RIGHT NOW, under the right circumstances.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:11 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't necessarily agree. I think we could have a team that is capable of competing for the playoffs RIGHT NOW, under the right circumstances.
Identify more than one defenseman on our entire roster that can consistently handle 18+ minutes without being a freaking nightmare. Maybe Hejda? It's impossible. They're all either immobile donkeys or clueless little-engines-that-couldn't.

Closed Thread