HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 3-2 in OT

Old
03-20-2013, 08:20 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
The ole chant really isn't a victory chant, it's just a pump up song (like in footy...where the crowds chant all the time).

The Habs finally tied the game up, and I think the fans were in their rights to sing about it. That's what fans do.

I think it was more the phantom call in OT that helped Buffalo, than the chants from the 3rd period, but I digress.
No, you don't disgress. It's perfectly on-topic. A Sabre fan took the Ole chant WAAAY too personal, and you put him in his place.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I can understand the Habs falling asleep last night against a terrible team like Buffalo is right now, and thinking maybe they could just turn it on when they needed it. I can also understand the fans being confident in their team pulling out a win. What I haven't seen before is the "Ole" chant in a tie game with 3-4 minutes still left in regulation. I thought that provided just enough karma for Buffalo to somehow get the win, and they did. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Buffalo to tank and get a top two draft position, so really I'm annoyed with the "ole" chant because it helped Buffalo.
The victory chant is na na na na goodbye . Ole Ole is just to celebrate the habs good play (hense why a lot of the time you hear it when they are winning)

The fact that you payed the zebras is what cost the habs a win

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Well, for one reason, he was asked about the play. The reporters didn't ask about other players (I'm thinking of Patches right now). For another reason I think it's because he holds Subban to a higher standard. He probably feels Subban can be an elite player whereas Patches will only be good. I mention Patches because on the first two Sabres goals Patches was admiring the the paint job on Bell Center's ceiling.
I get that he was asked, but he doesn't have to throw him under the bus. I just hate giving the media "drama" like that, because they will essentially take what is a non-story and blow it out of proportion. If anything Therrien should have said "He's been possibly our best player all year, we aren't going to worry about 1 mistake when he's taken 25,000 right decisions this year."

Hey, turns out I am still bitter about the loss last night, lol...

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:52 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Wow, I just realized that Boston also lost last night but in regulation, cool! That game in hand doesn't mean anything anymore.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
No, you don't disgress. It's perfectly on-topic. A Sabre fan took the Ole chant WAAAY too personal, and you put him in his place.
Personal? As I said I'd rather have a top two pick than a cheap two points from that game. Whatever, I should know better than to try and have a laugh on another board.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:06 AM
76ftw

vCash: 1907
People hating on the Ole Chant are just jealous we actually have vocal fans tbh.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:06 AM
bib
#believe

The Steve Ott hattrick.

Last edited by bib: 03-20-2013 at 09:16 AM.
bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:19 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Man he's mature for his age.
lol absolute beauty. 2-0-1 this week is acceptable and was my prediction heading into the week.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:21 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Did not read all of the thread, but anybody blaming Subban has to try again. This play was not even a penalty. The stick didn't even touch the face of Pysik.

I mean, you're in OT. You just called a questionable one on Pacioretty at the end of the 3rd period. And Galchenyuk had his lip leaking, from a highstick you didn't even call before. Then, you get out of your way, you're the farthest ref, and you call a phantom call on a guy that didn't even touch the face of the opponent, when the guy in question (Pysik) didn't even react/do any motion with his head that could lead you to believe it was an highstick.

This is ********, and the refs keep doing that (Subban apparently was on the back of the refs all night long, not that I excuse him for doing so), making it personal, because they know there are never any consequences.

Make them face the press. Let the coaches challenge the calls. These guys are way, way too comfortable out there. This is ridiculous.

Not Therrien's best call to go back to the White treatment neither*. What makes PK being PK, is that he acts like PK. Take out this part of his game, and he's no longer PK. You guys say "yeah, PK should just shut the hell up" or "PK should not go for those big hits" or "PK should not do this or that"... All these things make PK what he is. Take the good with the bad, improve the bad, but don't come out of your way to change the guy. His nature makes him effective.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Odelein24

All of this talk of Subban and the refs is, in my view, completely useless.

There's no way we should have let it get to overtime. The whole team slept through the 1st to get down 2-0. That's where the problem starts. No OT, no one is freaking out about PK or the refs. Be happy with the comeback and move on to the Islanders.

Odelein24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:22 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Personal? As I said I'd rather have a top two pick than a cheap two points from that game. Whatever, I should know better than to try and have a laugh on another board.
Because you are only the ten thousandth non-Habs fan that comes over and whine about the Ole Ole chant and think it's meant as an insult.

ITS NOT

Old
03-20-2013, 09:26 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Because you are only the ten thousandth non-Habs fan that comes over and whine about the Ole Ole chant and think it's meant as an insult.

ITS NOT
Let them believe whatever the hell they want. At this point, they clearly just refuse to understand. It's much funnier to keep hating on another team instead of finding rational answers.

Buffalo was pumped by the ole ole chants... Yeah right . That's gotta be why they were eaten alive all around the ice, that they blew a late 3rd PP, and that they almost blew up a 4 on 3 PP against a very ordinary PK unit...

Old
03-20-2013, 09:43 AM
habfaninvictoria

I was only able to watch the 3rd period.... W

We were completely dominant, but that I don't know how the rest of the game went.
Gallagher is an absolute beast.
Eller is becoming the player we think he can be.

The PK play was not a penalty, but I have no problem with a call being made on this play. While he did not make contact, he clearly did not have control of his stick and could have seriously injured him with his stick on that reckless play... the point is not to knock a guy out of the game, but to halt his progress and turn the puck over. PK was being selfish looking for the highlight reel. He hasn't been doing that this year and has great success because of it. I hope he removes that from his game. He could easily hit the guy and removing him from play and been in position for a clearing pass.

Not sure if MT threw him under the bus, but I wouldn't blame him. Let's see how PK deals with this bit of turmoil.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post

Subban is blaming the ref and the Habs is supporting him..

hmm....
when? where?

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I was only able to watch the 3rd period.... W

We were completely dominant, but that I don't know how the rest of the game went.
Gallagher is an absolute beast.
Eller is becoming the player we think he can be.

The PK play was not a penalty, but I have no problem with a call being made on this play. While he did not make contact, he clearly did not have control of his stick and could have seriously injured him with his stick on that reckless play... the point is not to knock a guy out of the game, but to halt his progress and turn the puck over. PK was being selfish looking for the highlight reel. He hasn't been doing that this year and has great success because of it. I hope he removes that from his game. He could easily hit the guy and removing him from play and been in position for a clearing pass.

Not sure if MT threw him under the bus, but I wouldn't blame him. Let's see how PK deals with this bit of turmoil.
So we're calling penalties on plays that could have happened now?

Was there a contact to the head of the player? No.
What was the penalty called? High stick on a player.

The refs were wrong, no matter how you look at it. There's nothing that should have been called on that.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Let them believe whatever the hell they want. At this point, they clearly just refuse to understand. It's much funnier to keep hating on another team instead of finding rational answers.

Buffalo was pumped by the ole ole chants... Yeah right . That's gotta be why they were eaten alive all around the ice, that they blew a late 3rd PP, and that they almost blew up a 4 on 3 PP against a very ordinary PK unit...
And they needed an amazing Enroth save just to still be tied in regulation.

Damn Gionta, that was a sweet move.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Are people going to finally admit we miss Prust?

He brought the sort of sandpaperness that just is lacking in this team. We got the skill, sure. But we have a hard time more often than not.
Holy ****. Can people stop talking about Prust like he's Sidney Crosby? Yes we miss his toughness/grit but it's not the end of the frigging world.

We are 3-0-1 without Prust.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Holy ****. Can people stop talking about Prust like he's Sidney Crosby? Yes we miss his toughness/grit but it's not the end of the frigging world.

We are 3-0-1 without Prust.
And look at the games we've had.

Florida - Hardly a benchmark
Senators - Outhitted badly, a game won by the teeth
New Jersey - Outhitted badly, we were on the defensive for most of the game
Sabres - We started really weak and had a hard time imposing our tempo.

Yes, we win without him. that's because we have a skilled and deep team. But those wins were achieved, in my opinion, at the expense of way to much effort on our part - he's the sort of sandpaper that helps smooth things out for the rest of our team.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:52 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:

Subban is blaming the ref and the Habs is supporting him..

hmm....
I hope this doesn't come off as an insult, but it has to be said.

You are clear proof of how people get misguided. No where did Subban blame the ref and he consistently goes back and says "I shouldn't of..." or "It's hard to watch the team lose when I am sitting in the box". Where does he blame the ref? I would like you to find a sentence in this 90 second clip and tell me what you believe he said for you to interpret the way you did. Subban takes all the blame, says it was his mistake, says if he could do it over he would of done it different. Also, he says that his teammates supported him, he didn't say the team blame the ref. When you play a team game, its much better to walk over to the guy and say "forget about it...", you think the team is going to hold a grudge?

I just find it preposterous that you identified that 90 second clip as a way for Subban to blame the refs. Pathetic.

Quote:
Sorry I was being sacarstic..

That being said, if he thinks it's a penalty, he would've answered "yes" instead of "i'll leave it as that, the call has been made, moving on.. tralala"
I only saw this after, but I still don't understand what you are saying. How are you being sarcastic if you think he is blaming the refs in the end? Was it a high sticking penalty? Absolutely not, no contact was made. When he was asked the question, he had no choice but to dodge the question to avoid what you accuse him of doing.

In your mind he is at fault either way. It was a clear no penalty, unless getting your stick high is a penalty without making contact. Subban is smart enough to know that the way a hockey game is very subjective and the official made an impulsive call. He got it wrong, it happens.

The video is clear that he wasn't going to blame the ref, he knows that hockey is subjective. He didn't agree with the call but it happened, he can only move on from there. It's a lot harder to answer questions when you have a camera and mic in your face, and it was able to say nothing when the reporters were fishing for him to say something bad about the refs, which he never did.

Subban has shown a lot of maturity, he took the fault for the overtime goal, he didn't run away from the blame.

Last edited by CrAzYNiNe: 03-20-2013 at 10:03 AM.
CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
BLONG7

Lousy 1st period, but good in the 2nd and 3rd...we were hit by the Bell Centre backup syndrome, again...should not happen again on saturday night...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian70 View Post
I agree that Therrien's attitude was quite ridiculous. Even if he didn't know it shouldn't have been called. Fact is it was a bad decision on P.K.'s part. There is a time for this big hit and he failed to recognize the bad timing. But there are so many bad decisions made by players during a game, including undisciplined ones, that Therrien's tough behavior towards Subban makes me wonder if he doesn't have his own agenda. He is certainly more leniant with some less deserving players.

On the positive side, Subban learned he needs to stop irritating the refs.
Okay, Holy S.

When did political correctness replace Right in this world? He's an athlete, the ref is a ref. A ref is there to impose the rules, the parameters. It's his job to not get irritated and an athlete. I see this all the time. Refs letting their BIAS (emotions) control the outcome of a game. And its "TOO EXTREME" to stand up and say that this is BS simply because it happens all the time. I don't know about you but I have higher standards than that.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
And look at the games we've had.

Florida - Hardly a benchmark
Senators - Outhitted badly, a game won by the teeth
New Jersey - Outhitted badly, we were on the defensive for most of the game
Sabres - We started really weak and had a hard time imposing our tempo.

Yes, we win without him. that's because we have a skilled and deep team. But those wins were achieved, in my opinion, at the expense of way to much effort on our part - he's the sort of sandpaper that helps smooth things out for the rest of our team.
Prust is not going to change a close game to a blowout game in our favor. I love Prust but the team wins because they are a good team with and without Prust.

The team misses his grit but not as much as you think.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
brian70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post
Okay, Holy S.

When did political correctness replace Right in this world? He's an athlete, the ref is a ref. A ref is there to impose the rules, the parameters. It's his job to not get irritated and an athlete. I see this all the time. Refs letting their BIAS (emotions) control the outcome of a game. And its "TOO EXTREME" to stand up and say that this is BS simply because it happens all the time. I don't know about you but I have higher standards than that.
Maybe that's because you've never played. Subban is right: he should stop whining to the ref or it could very well turn against him. Your higher standards don't change the reality.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Just answer the question: Which goaltender was better last night?

I doubt that even Price would say he directed that rebound right where he wanted to, and I doubt he would be happy with his execution on the play. Contrast that to Enroth who was masterful in directing rebounds to the corners, and only failed to do so when his defense was in perfect position to clear.
Both goaltenders were fine last night. Enroth didn't steal the game like we're making it out to be (to make us feel better about outshooting an opponent but not scoring) and Price played fine with a minimal workload.

If you have to give a nod to a goalie, then yes, it goes to Enroth, because of the W, the edge in shots against, and the late save against Gionta. But just because their goalie had a better game doesn't mean that the ours is the reason we lost.

Imagine going to the Sabres board and reading something like this below. Thats how ridiculous you sound.

Goal 1 against Enroth: He was down early and he still got beat along the ice. Its not that hard to keep your stick along the ice.

Goal 2 against Enroth: Sure Armstrong was all alone, but its Colby Armstrong. Enroth committed way too early and put himself out of the play, deked out by a 4th line grinder.

Yes I admit it was a great save against Gionta but he's lucky Gallagher hit the post late in the third or else he would have lost the game. Guy can play well but can't protect the lead when it counts. Another 2 goal lead blown because our guy can't make a big save

Really the only goal that Price could have played better was the first one. He got beat clean. The OT goal was a point blank shot 12"-18" off the ice from just inside the circles. It was a reaction save and a good one at that. Rebound landed where it landed and because we were on the PK the guy was wide open to bang it in. If you are going to continue to argue that he could have directed it better I have nothing else to say to you.

I'm calling you out because Price had no chance on that OT goal, but you want to make him the goat. I have no problem calling him a goat when he is one, but he wasn't the reason we lost last night. In fact he played very well in the third to keep it a tie late in the game.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post
Okay, Holy S.

I do agree with about how some officials do sometimes have a bias (Chris Lee is a firm example) but I wouldn't say that is the reason why Subban got the penalty. As much as it irks me, the game is so fast and the ref simply made an impulsive decision. Right or wrong is hard to argue when you are faced with a decision that occurred for less than a second. The stick was high, the play was dangerous, the ref reacted. Was the call made due to him blabbing all game? I don't know, but I do feel that benefit of the doubt should be given to the official, it happened very fast. (unlike a lot of other **** calls they make or don't make)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian70 View Post
Maybe that's because you've never played. Subban is right: he should stop whining to the ref or it could very well turn against him. Your higher standards don't change the reality.
I agree with you. It's only human nature that when someone is barking at you, that you remember who they are. I don't think this was a penalty only due to him arguing with the ref, but Subban knows, because he said it in the interview, that he should let the ref do his job and he should play his game.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote