HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Desharnais signed to a contract extension (4 years @ $3.5M/yr)

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Milhouse40

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
@HabsWatch: Eller now tied with Desharnais at 16 points... with 52 fewer ES mins, 66 fewer PP mins and 136 fewer O zone faceoffs #Habs

And without playing with the team's best forward. Put Eller where he belongs.
Well, in the last 6 games Eller got more ice time than DD in 4 of them.
And that's without top PP time, imagine what would happen if he get his chance on the PP???

Eller just got 5 points, +3, 20 shots, 14 hits, 6 blocked shots
In those 6 games.

If he doesn't diserve his chance on the PP, then who does?

Last edited by Milhouse40: 03-20-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 08:22 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I like how Eller constantly gets brought up in desharnais thread. When DD makes assists, he can't score his own goals! Now Eller making assists and praise! By all means Eller is breaking out and looking good, I'm impressed but I hate when they are compared. Not even same type of player and really people change the criteria. They ARE different. Both can be useful and no DD won't be bought out and all this nonsense.

I for one am glad we have depth. Imagine when galchenyuk improves! It's looking good for us.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:44 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

The point is, most people (incl me) think that DD cannot produce without Pacioretty - so seeing Eller play stellar without our best winger kinda implies that we should a) play them together and b) demote DD because Eller is steller.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
The only thing my post shows is Eller belongs at center. And you put him on the wing. Haha
My mistake. He would be wing on the first line, but Center playing with the two Gallys

I think once Galchenyuk takes over as #1 Center, Eller would be my first choice to play with Pleks and Gionta (or replacement) on the two-way second line. He could move to C if we had an injury to one of the first two centremen, but I would rather see him play the tough minutes against top lines and counter-attacking with speed than anchoring a third line. I think they would be awesome together, and it would free Bourque to play on a more offensive line.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:55 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
The point is, most people (incl me) think that DD cannot produce without Pacioretty - so seeing Eller play stellar without our best winger kinda implies that we should a) play them together and b) demote DD because Eller is steller.
Or c) play everyone to their strengths

Galchy as eventual #1 C, probably attracting top checkers
Pleks as #2 C, with Eller on his LW and Gionta on his RW to match opponents' top scoring line
Desharanis as #3C with sheltered minutes and at least one scoring winger
Prust or Dumont or Bournival centering a fourth line for limited minutes (Prust can also fill in on PK and in defensive role in Top 9).

It's not a demotion to play Top 6 on LW. Habs did this with Jacques Lemaire for about 6 years before he got his Top 6 Center role.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:03 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what changed that DD is no longer able to produce without Patches?

Old
03-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
What you see as a problem, I see as the solution! Eller can be effective with any linemate it seems. DD can't really be effective unless he is with offensive players! This team is successful because all three lines can be effective

You put eller with Patches and Gallagher, and DD gets put with who? Will this team be more effective in their 3 offensive line strategy? Just because Eller is better than DD in pretty much all facets at this point (minus vision), doesn't mean he should be given the best wingers. It won't necessarily equate to TEAM success.

Although I feel he should get more PP time. The reason Therrien doesn't put his line out imo is more because galchenyuk has proven to be ineffective on the PP this season. Eller should be put on with Pleks and Ryder. Gio seems to be back in Black hole mode

Old
03-20-2013, 09:08 AM
rafal majka

Quote:
Exactly. Demotion is a bit harsh. At some point in the near future one of the Habs' centremen is going to have to mover to the wing. The idea that it is Eller is myopic.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Terrible defensively last night, pathetic effort from DD last night. Hopefully he bounces back in the next week cause it's 4 big games coming up
Interesting that everytime a goal is scored against DD's line it somehow comes off here as being HIS fault. Maybe he should as his equipment manager for some pads and a blocker...

Old
03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Interesting that everytime a goal is scored against DD's line it somehow comes off here as being HIS fault. Maybe he should as his equipment manager for some pads and a blocker...

Are you saying they weren't his fault yesterday? Did you see him being knocked down like a boy playing a man's game? If he wasn't playing center, he wouldn't have been there. A bigger player could shield that puck and keep possession.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
rafal majka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu

@HabsWatch: Eller now tied with Desharnais at 16 points... with 52 fewer ES mins, 66 fewer PP mins and 136 fewer O zone faceoffs #Habs
Eller and Plekanecs are better centres than Desharnais. Galchenyuk is projected to be a first line centre. Who moves to the wing? Desharnais.

Last edited by Bad Natey: 03-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Eller and Plekanecs are better centres than Desharnais. Galchenyuk is projected to be a first line centre. Who moves to the wing? Desharnais.
DD would have a lot more points if people were finishing his chances (last game not included), but yes, fine - he can move to wing next year or the year after.

I love this myth that Eller can score without offensive wingers, but DD can't... He proved he could, that's why he got to the spot he's in.

Just seems DD is always at fault. Eller would have got a verbal bj for winning a late game draw two games ago with 4 seconds left... But DD did it, so no one says a word.

I hate the comparisons (by the same few people) of these two. Eller also plays weaker defensive competition anyway.

I love Eller - look through the draft threads, I was one of the very few who wanted him. But damn, the kid is turning into Carey Price around here.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
DD would have a lot more points if people were finishing his chances (last game not included), but yes, fine - he can move to wing next year or the year after.

I love this myth that Eller can score without offensive wingers, but DD can't... He proved he could, that's why he got to the spot he's in.

Just seems DD is always at fault. Eller would have got a verbal bj for winning a late game draw two games ago with 4 seconds left... But DD did it, so no one says a word.

I hate the comparisons (by the same few people) of these two. Eller also plays weaker defensive competition anyway.

I love Eller - look through the draft threads, I was one of the very few who wanted him. But damn, the kid is turning into Carey Price around here.
If we should consider the plays where his linesmates didn't put it in....should we also take out the easy points he got ? (Pass on PAcioretty's 85 feet goal...only winning faceoff and end up on Markoc sticks and a goal.....both of his points at 5 on 3)

Its all the same for every players....Eller hit like 2 post in his last 5-6 games, do we count them? Galchenyuk missed like 5 chances in the last 4-5 games.

DD brings offensive to the table.....that is all he brings.

Now that we know that Eller can bring the same offensive (and probably more considering he don't really get much poweplaytime). Eller also brings size, toughness, puck possession, puck protection, good effective forecheck, speed and a defensively reliable presence.

Eller is only 23yo, we must continue to develop him to the fullest and that's with ice time and PP time, and right now, he's bringing a lot to the table than DD.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Ginu

Quote:

Shifting DD to wing doesn't mean he's at fault for something it's just that we need size down the middle. Though he was at fault for two goals yesterday.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Or c) play everyone to their strengths

Galchy as eventual #1 C, probably attracting top checkers
Pleks as #2 C, with Eller on his LW and Gionta on his RW to match opponents' top scoring line
Desharanis as #3C with sheltered minutes and at least one scoring winger
Prust or Dumont or Bournival centering a fourth line for limited minutes (Prust can also fill in on PK and in defensive role in Top 9).

It's not a demotion to play Top 6 on LW. Habs did this with Jacques Lemaire for about 6 years before he got his Top 6 Center role.
Sigh. Eventually, we can put DD in net, to make sure he stays on the team.

Let's be real. I love the guy, and moreso because he's a local french kid. But we're entering cup window time, and we can't be making excuses for anyone.

I hope DD will play better and more consistently, and score more goals, which is what I have been asking from from him for over a year.

He 'd better, or he's gone in 2 years. Bergy just threw him a huge, huge gift. He'd better adapt and learn to perform, and contribute, on a top team, consistently.

I never had to make excuses for Jaques Lemaire, Yvan Cournoyer or Henri Richard. Why should I make excuses for DD?

Old
03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
brian70

Quote:

And it gets to you because I noticed you can be quite defensive when it comes to Desharnais. Add your suggestion of making Eller a winger when he's obviously more efficient as a center.

A couple games ago, up by 1, Therrien put Plekanec, Gionta and Eller on the ice for a defensive zone face-off with less than a minute left in the game. Eller on the wing. I thought it was nonsense. You're always better off with a true winger, someone who's used to playing the boards in their own zone. Eller got the puck along the boards, his back to the blue line and lost it.

I know some people are ridiculous in their comments whether it be trading DD or trading Plekanec. Desharnais has proven over and over that he's the most offensive-minded player on this team and I would never take him off the PP. But with too many centers, something needs to be done and suggesting converting Eller into a winger is not rational.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Are you saying they weren't his fault yesterday? Did you see him being knocked down like a boy playing a man's game? If he wasn't playing center, he wouldn't have been there. A bigger player could shield that puck and keep possession.
So bigger centers never get scored upon? I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about size size size.

There were SIX Habs players on the ice for both goals, and DD isn't particularly more responsible for them than any of the others. Gimme a break and watch the vids. Singling out DD for this is riculous.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:45 AM
bsl

Quote:

Hello! Eller was not on the ice for the 2 Buff goals today. DD was. That is ****ing serious. It is not good. At all. We are approaching cup contending the next three years, and you defend Muppet play. I swear, some guys here would rather wear their DD jersey to games than have a cup. ****in hell. It really pisses older guys off here.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
So bigger centers never get scored upon? I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about size size size.

There were SIX Habs players on the ice for both goals, and DD isn't particularly more responsible for them than any of the others. Gimme a break and watch the vids. Singling out DD for this is riculous.
You don't see DD's fault on Ott's first goal? Seriously?

Size does matter down the middle. Why does every single team covet big centers?

Old
03-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Not The One

Quote:

He could have done more, then again even Chara gets scored upon. And who was responsible for covering Ott on that play? oh, and what about the second goal?

As for your second question, there's a major size fetish among hockey people. For his role as an offensive center, DD > 90% of bigger centers.

IMO, I've always rooted for the little guys and will continue to do so. Some of my past favorite players on the Habs have included Mats Naslund, Stephan Lebeau, Saku Koivu, Valeri Bure, Oleg Petrov, Mike Ribeiro and DD. Sue me.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:

Not saying that size means nothing, but lets go down the list of top 3 centers on top teams.

Chicago: Towes (big), Bolland (small), Shaw (small)

Anaheim: Getz (HUUGE), Bonino (average.. also wtf?), Koivu (small)

Boston: Bergeron (tall but lanky), Krejci (small), Peverly/Kelly (average)

Montreal: DD (Tinyyyy), Pleks (Small), Eller (big)

Pittsburgh: Lets not go there haha

As you guys can see... the SIZE of the center doesn't really matter. Size matters if its spread throughout the team, but is not a necessity for success down the middle... of course it always helps, but the center position is no different than the others.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Not saying that size means nothing, but lets go down the list of top 3 centers on top teams.

Chicago: Towes (big), Bolland (small), Shaw (small)

Anaheim: Getz (HUUGE), Bonino (average.. also wtf?), Koivu (small)

Boston: Bergeron (tall but lanky), Krejci (small), Peverly/Kelly (average)

Montreal: DD (Tinyyyy), Pleks (Small), Eller (big)

Pittsburgh: Lets not go there haha

As you guys can see... the SIZE of the center doesn't really matter. Size matters if its spread throughout the team, but is not a necessity for success down the middle... of course it always helps, but the center position is no different than the others.
The issue here is when Galchenyuk is shifted to C, the mere mention of playing Plekanec, Gally and Eller at center has everyone up in arms. How dare our Le Petit Prince be shifted from the center ice position to the wing. That's the issue here. Nobody is saying DD sucks- we're saying DD on the wing is something we should try when Gally is ready.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Hello! Eller was not on the ice for the 2 Buff goals today. DD was. That is ****ing serious. It is not good. At all. We are approaching cup contending the next three years, and you defend Muppet play. I swear, some guys here would rather wear their DD jersey to games than have a cup. ****in hell. It really pisses older guys off here.
I don't care if I piss you off. DD has had some rough patches this year, but he's been unlucky too. He'd get a lot less hate if Eller wasn't "behind" him - which I don't agree with anyway.

Quote:
Shifting DD to wing doesn't mean he's at fault for something it's just that we need size down the middle. Though he was at fault for two goals yesterday.
Subban was at fault for the first one. Sure, DD got out muscled but he also wasn't in great position when he stole it.

I'm fine with DD being a winger. Just funny how it's always him and never Pacioretty.

People (not you) go a little further to discredit him because of Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian70 View Post
And it gets to you because I noticed you can be quite defensive when it comes to Desharnais. Add your suggestion of making Eller a winger when he's obviously more efficient as a center.

A couple games ago, up by 1, Therrien put Plekanec, Gionta and Eller on the ice for a defensive zone face-off with less than a minute left in the game. Eller on the wing. I thought it was nonsense. You're always better off with a true winger, someone who's used to playing the boards in their own zone. Eller got the puck along the boards, his back to the blue line and lost it.

I know some people are ridiculous in their comments whether it be trading DD or trading Plekanec. Desharnais has proven over and over that he's the most offensive-minded player on this team and I would never take him off the PP. But with too many centers, something needs to be done and suggesting converting Eller into a winger is not rational.
I didn't really suggest that, I just think Eller is a solid winger. He is better at C though. For now, Galchenyuk is learning the ropes on the wing, and there's no problem right now, IMO.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
The issue here is when Galchenyuk is shifted to C, the mere mention of playing Plekanec, Gally and Eller at center has everyone up in arms. How dare our Le Petit Prince be shifted from the center ice position to the wing. That's the issue here. Nobody is saying DD sucks- we're saying DD on the wing is something we should try when Gally is ready.
I didn't really mention DD once in that post besides listing him as one of the centers this season... just saying that size isn't more important down the middle then it is in other positions.

The only person who is arguing that moving DD to wing is a bad idea is Hawkeye (actually not even!)... IF Gally is ready for center duties as of next season, then that is where he should be.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I didn't really mention DD once in that post besides listing him as one of the centers this season... just saying that size isn't more important down the middle then it is in other positions.

The only person who is arguing that moving DD to wing is a bad idea is Hawkeye (actually not even!)... IF Gally is ready for center duties as of next season, then that is where he should be.
Read back. Most of the people here won't even consider it. Look at BaseballCoach. Anyways, I hope we make the right decision and that's all that matters.

Closed Thread