HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Man, TPS you seem like you're in the same mood I am, a mood of "I won't be messed with today"....if that's the case I hope your day gets better, mine won't because I'm stuck at my POS job
I'm not sure what there is to be upset about. Sure it sucks watching the Avs actually play WELL UNDER THEIR CAPABILITIES but there is a 'POT OF GOLD' at the end of the rainbow so-to-speak. Actually, there are 2:

-> Getting rid of this abomination of a coach
-> Picking in the top 3, possibly a franchise player

Only 20 more games to go...

Old
03-20-2013, 11:13 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm not sure what there is to be upset about. Sure it sucks watching the Avs actually play WELL UNDER THEIR CAPABILITIES but there is a 'POT OF GOLD' at the end of the rainbow so-to-speak. Actually, there are 2:

-> Getting rid of this abomination of a coach
-> Picking in the top 3, possibly a franchise player

Only 20 more games to go...
For me it's not so much anger at the Avs (though some of that is there), I just woke up in a bad mood today and don't want to be at work, lol

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 152
Maybe this will help me understand why trading the top 5 picks mor multiple pieces is a "absolutely not" possibility.
I understand the issue of not getting value in return. I have faith that Sherman would make sure there is good value coming back that will fill needs in order to make any trade.

Anyone want to provide current NHL comparables as far as
Floor-Ceiling-Most Likely
for Jones, Drouin, Nichushkin, MacKinnon, and Barkov?

Maybe that way I'll better understand how 1 player added to our fairly established core will help more than filling the holes around the core we have.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
JoemAvs

All 4 of them could reasonably have gone #1 over Yakupov last year.

I mean every prospect could bust but I try to be halfway realistic (I am not THAT good with comparisons but I will try and not many top 5 picks completely bust anymore anyways):

The floor for Jones is probably EJ in his current state (maybe a little worse). Maybe current Tyler Myers.

But when you look at EJ and Jones I see two very similar prospects. EJ just has not fulfilled the hopes put into him. A reasonable expectation for Seth is to be in the upper half of the #1 Dman in the league. Ceiling is probably Pronger without the meanstreak but with better offense. Maybe Blake?
Norris caliber defenseman for the next decade or so.

Drouin is one of the most gifted players the Q has ever seen.
I think he compares pretty similar to Patrick Kane. He probably has the lowest floor because he simply lacks an NHL body right now.
He is very similar to RNH in that regard. But like with RNH his skills are undeniable. Most skilled forward in the draft by far IMO.
Ceiling is a better Kane or St.Louis or some one like that.

MacKinnon is probably the best skater in the draft and very well rounded. Has a pretty good shot from what I know. Very similar prospect to Duchene/Seguin IMO.
Floor should be a very decent 2nd line center. Realistically he is a slightly worse Duchene (albeit he has a better shot). Ceiling is probably close to the ceiling of Duchene (and who knows where that lies)

Barkov is a big bodied Center who plays amazingly in the best Finnish league. He is a horse. He can do it all.
His biggest flaw by far is skating. But that is to be expected at his age at his size. Floor is a very decent big 2nd line Center IMO.
It is really hard to judge him because the Finnish league is not that good but he certainly is a better prospect at this stage than Granlund was.
I think he realistically could be a decent #1 Center in this league. I would think that he is a better prospect than Couturier was.
He should be pretty good defensively. I struggle to come up with a solid comparison. Better offensively than ROR/ Couturier but worse defensively? Something like that I guess.
His ceiling is probably a player similar to Ryan Getzlaf with better defense.

EDIT: I don't know much about Nichushkin but he certainly has top line potential. The problem with him is that he uses his size and strength to dominate at the current level. And he is under contract in Russia for atleast 1 more year. I would not really want to draft him. But he certainly was a beast in the world juniors and he really could be something special as well. But as I said I don't know too much about him.

Last edited by JoemAvs: 03-20-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 12:23 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
All 4 of them could reasonably gone #1 over Yakupov last year.

I mean every prospect could bust but I try to be halfway realistic (not many top 5 picks completely bust anymore):

The floor for Jones is probably EJ in his current state (maybe a little worse). Maybe current Tyler Myers.

But when you look at EJ and Jones I see two very similar prospects. EJ just has not fulfilled the hopes put into him. A reasonable expectation for Seth is to be in the upper half of the #1 Dman in the league. Ceiling is probably Pronger without the meanstreak but with better offense. Norris caliber defenseman for the next decade or so.

Drouin is one of the most gifted players the Q has ever seen.
I think he compares pretty similar to Patrick Kane. He probably has the lowest floor because he simply lacks an NHL body right now.
He is very similar to RNH in that regard. But like with RNH his skills are undeniable. Most skilled forward in the draft by far IMO.
Ceiling is a better Kane or St.Louis or some one like that.

MacKinnon is probably the best skater in the draft and very well rounded. Has a pretty good shot from what I know. Very similar prospect to Duchene/Seguin IMO.
Floor should be a very decent 2nd line center. Realistically he is a slightly worse Duchene (albeit he has a better shot). Ceiling is probably close to the ceiling of Duchene (and who knows where that lies)

Barkov is a big bodied Center who plays amazingly in the best Finnish league. He is a horse. He can do it all.
His biggest flaw by far is skating. But that is to be expected at his age at his size. Floor is a very decent big 2nd line Center IMO.
It is really hard to judge him because the Finnish league is not that good but he certainly is a better prospect at this stage than Granlund was.
I think he realistically could be a decent #1 Center in this league. I would think that he is a slightly better prospect than Couturier was.
He should be pretty good defensively. I struggle to come up with a solid comparison. Better offensively than ROR/ Couturier but worse defensively? Something like that I guess.
His ceiling is probably a player similar to Ryan Getzlaf with better defense.
Thanks.
I'll eagerly admit that my exposure to anything non-NHL is very limited in Wyoming.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Maybe this will help me understand why trading the top 5 picks mor multiple pieces is a "absolutely not" possibility.
I understand the issue of not getting value in return. I have faith that Sherman would make sure there is good value coming back that will fill needs in order to make any trade.

Maybe that way I'll better understand how 1 player added to our fairly established core will help more than filling the holes around the core we have.

Name --- Comparison --- Potential

Jones: Hybrid Myers/EJ | #1 Two-Way Defenseman (Note: Does not have a mean streak)
Drouin: P. Kane | #1 Winger (Note: Need to see if he will be Datsyuk elusive or Ennis elusive, there is a big difference between the two)
Nichushkin: Hybrid E. Staal/C. Stewart | Top 6 forward (Note: Recently signed a 2-3 year deal in the KHL)
MacKinnon: Kessel | Top 6 forward (Note: Picture a more physical version of Kessel, but is only effective when he has the puck)
Barkov: M. Koivu | Top 2 Centre (Note: Defensive game is fantastic and goes to the dirty areas)

Tried to make it as simple as possible. Also for Nichushkin (and others) I labelled him as Chris Stewart and that is JUST playing style, he has more heart than him.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
All 4 of them could reasonably have gone #1 over Yakupov last year.

I mean every prospect could bust but I try to be halfway realistic (I am not THAT good with comparisons but I will try and not many top 5 picks completely bust anymore anyways):

Jones is better than EJ.....

Old
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post

Not 100% sure on Drouin but seems like Tanguay/P. Kane mold. I'm not as high on him as others are. Very good hockey IQ and has improved skating from last year. Could improve he's shot.

Nate doesn't really remind of any current NHLers as much to me.. I think he will be little over PPG player with high goals to assist-ratio. Not as good as Tavares or Stamkos but ofc. you never know how these kids turn out.

He's first few steps are amazing elite skater, so damn explosive and excellent shot.. He's also very young, turns 18 in September. Like he's overall game and ability to make fast decisions in off. zone. I'd take him over Drouin but I haven't seen these two as much as I'd have liked. Maybe these playoffs.

Nichuskin reminds me of Nash. Very strong kid. Not the best vision by any means but strong skater, nice set of hands. Can compete very well with men in KHL and doing very well. 5 goals in 12 games and +5 with little under 11 mins of ice time. May top out as Afinogenov-like player. Not as fast but stronger.

He's in contract for 2 more years after this one with Traktor. May not come over as KHL is getting bigger and stronger but we'll see. Wouldn't take him in top 5.

Barkov.. Reminds me of Joe Thornton the most though many like the Kopitar comparioson. He's not mean but he drives the net, uses he's body well, excellent vision, good passer, good shot, should say very good. Basically always in good position. Excellent defensively, willing to block shots, excellent stick work, strong along the boards, can pk well, can be used in every situation, good at protecting puck and strong with the puck. Nice set of hands too. One of the smarters Finnish players already.

This kid has basically everything. Doesn't hurt that he's 6´3 and 200+ lbs.

Only knock right now is that he's not an elite skater, specifically acceleration. But what can you expect from 17 yr old kid (turns 18 in sept) that has grown as fast as he has and is still growing. He has improved he's skating during the year imo and it will continue to improve. He'll never be as dynamic as MacKinnon but I he's skating can certainly be good enough that it won't prevent him for becoming elite player.

Considering he's size, I'd say he's average to above average skater. Top speed is good.

He's not mean but that may come in time. One could question he's off. upside but he's absolutely exploded this year. Last year he was 0.5 ppg in FEL, this year almost ppg. This season was the best ANY Finnish draft aged player has ever had. He's out there on the first pk unit, first line C, and was outplaying NHLers during the lockout. Jannik Hansen was on he's line for 20 games and Barkov was better than him.

He's NHL ready imo, he has nothing to learn in FEL imo. He's excelled there, playing against full grown men. I think he should be playing 3rd line in NHL next year. If he struggles bc of the long season, give him Seguin treatment or what Yak is getting now.

I see him being at least 50-60 point second line C.. upside is elite 1st line C. PPG or just under 1st line C who is excellent defensively and can be there in every situation is most likely.

But anway.. I'd still take Jones to the Avs.. He has all the potential in the world, all the tools and toolbox to go with it. Have seen him only at WJCs and U18s last year but based on that and what I've read.. he would be my BPA at #1.

One other interesting player is Elias Lindholm.. I think he'll be there where Avs pick, I don't see Avs being in bottom 5. Even with Sacco. Elias just had better draft year than Bäcks and is better by reports. I didn't see Bäcks on his draft year but Lindholm is great. Good skater, strong on the puck, works hard, good defensively, very good off. skill. He's been on 1st line in Brynäs playing wing. I think he'll be C in NHL, Det prospect Calle Järnkrok (they're cousins) has been the C in that line. Lindholm has been better than him sometimes though Järnkrok is 3 years older and projects as 2nd line C imo.

I think Lindholm will be 1st line C in future. I'd actually think very hard taking him at #4 if Jones, Barkov and Nate are gone. But I'm no scout by any means and probably biased as haven't seen as much of Drouin and not as sold on him as others are.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I think I read it wrong.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:36 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I think I read it wrong.
Indeed. He's saying that, in the worst case scenario, Jones will be as good as Johnson is today.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:44 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Identify more than one defenseman on our entire roster that can consistently handle 18+ minutes without being a freaking nightmare. Maybe Hejda? It's impossible. They're all either immobile donkeys or clueless little-engines-that-couldn't.
Barrie looked pretty good, albeit a few rookie mistakes. Hejda was pretty good when paired with Barrie as well.

SO THERES 2

Old
03-20-2013, 12:54 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Jones is by far the choice if we get a chance to draft him. He lacks a real mean streak is his only real downfall. He will be a very good #1D that will put up 50 points a season in his prime. Basically if anybody wants a comparison, think of everything that you want EJ to be minus that pissed off mean streak he can get. That is Seth Jones. Our defense could be absolutely be one of the best in the league if we got Jones. We could split EJ and Jones and have two high end pairings, or make one of them play the left and have a pairing that could be one of the top 5 in the league.

After Jones, just pick one of Drouin, Mac, or Barkov. All will be good players. Drouin can give us an elite wing. Mac can be a very good C or be moved to wing and turned into a Kessel sort of player. Barkov can be a very good C.

I'd love Nischuskin, but in no way do I see him being drafted in the top 5. He has that sort of talent, but his deal in the KHL will push him down to at least the mid 1st.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:02 PM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Not 100% sure on Drouin but seems like Tanguay/P. Kane mold. I'm not as high on him as others are. Very good hockey IQ and has improved skating from last year. Could improve he's shot.

I had the chance to see Tanguay when he was in the Q and I have seen Drouin at least 10 times in the last year in a half. Sorry but I do not see it. Tanguay was good but Drouin does things that only a few NHL players are able to do. Simply put, the kid as by far better hands than Tanguay.

I nerver saw the europeans kids play except in the WJC, so I am not able to say if they are better than Drouin but a trio of Drouin - Duch - Pap would be incredible.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM
tucker3434

That's a tough call between jones, drouin, and McKinnon. I guess my list would go: jones, drouin, McKinnon. Taking a defenseman first overall would be a little hard to swallow, but for jones that's the right call. I bet we finish 2-3 anyway.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:09 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

With the Management that we have, I'm surprised no one has thought of this (or maybe I missed it), but if the Avs get the 1st Overall pick, they could field offers and move down slightly if they like another player more...not saying that they WILL do that, but if for some reason they value another player more than Jones, they need to shop that pick

Old
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
With the Management that we have, I'm surprised no one has thought of this (or maybe I missed it), but if the Avs get the 1st Overall pick, they could field offers and move down slightly if they like another player more...not saying that they WILL do that, but if for some reason they value another player more than Jones, they need to shop that pick
not even the Avs are that damn dumb.
Jones is as clear of a #1 as there has been in the past few years. his only real issue is that he's a defensemen and most taken #1 more recently having met offensive expectations.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:40 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I'm not getting my hopes up because there's still so much season left, but I'm intrigued by Barkov. My fear with him, and maybe it's unfair, is that Finland hasn't developed any decent prospects recently so that's the only thing I'd be weary of. Skating is easy to improve, but you can't teach size like that.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
No, what they'd do instead is use the top pick on that guy that's 10-15 on everyone else's boards. Hishon is a not too distant but far less extreme example.

I was afraid of this for both Landeskog and Duchene's drafts. I was so relieved when their names were called.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I'm not getting my hopes up because there's still so much season left, but I'm intrigued by Barkov. My fear with him, and maybe it's unfair, is that Finland hasn't developed any decent prospects recently so that's the only thing I'd be weary of. Skating is easy to improve, but you can't teach size like that.
Finns had rough time between 04-10.. but lately has looked much better.

Granlund, Armia, Teräväinen, Määttä, Aittokallio, Hakanpää (Stl prospect, solid defensive D) and Pulkkinen (I think he doesn't make it though) etc.

Though none of them has made it to the big show yet.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Considering a lot of you haven't been here until recently, here was something posted some pages back.

Not even close to Tanguay. Also gotta love the goal song.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:02 PM
henchman24
If and if...

With the connection to the franchise, his skill level, and the positional need, rest assured if Jones is there he will be selected.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:02 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
No, what they'd do instead is use the top pick on that guy that's 10-15 on everyone else's boards. Hishon is a not too distant but far less extreme example.

I was afraid of this for both Landeskog and Duchene's drafts. I was so relieved when their names were called.
With #3 overall pick Colorado Avalanche our proud to select Eric Comrie!

Old
03-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
The problem here is that the Finnish league is so defensively oriented, it is difficult to really succeed offensively.
The point scoring leader in the regular season didn't even post PPG.
That is why we see more defensively oriented players and players for the 3rd and 4th line succeed in the NHL, but offensively gifted players don't.
We have Pulkkinen, Granlund, Teräväinen, Armia going in the first rounds in the previous drafts (well pulkkinen fell to 4th round). Granlund didn't look ready for the NHL even this year, Pulkkinen has been very up-and-down even in FEL and Teräväinen still looks good, but hopefully he'll go overseas as fast as possible.
Then we have players like Hartikainen and Komarov who are more suited to the lower lines who have succeeded because they have played that game for so long.

I'd really hope more and more Finnish prospects would take the "Landeskog route" and go to the CHL at a youngish age to develop their offensive game so that it could be better translated to the NHL.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Considering a lot of you haven't been here until recently, here was something posted some pages back.

Not even close to Tanguay. Also gotta love the goal song.
Amazing. A lot of people on HF were saying that there is no way he would pull this off at the NHL. Although that may be true with some of the moves he pulled he still showed some great NHL style play there. Coming off the side boards, puck protection, some physicality. Great player.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post

Pracey is a smart man.

Closed Thread