HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Internal ideas for fixing our PP

Old
03-20-2013, 01:57 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Internal ideas for fixing our PP

Obviously the best way to fix our PP would be to get a puck mover who can QB it. But seeing that such a remedy is unrealistic at this stage of the season, what internal measures would you like to see in an effort to fix the power play?

Step 1, to me, is getting Pominville off of the point.

Step two would be to encourage more movement of bodies AND puck, and not have such a stationary approach.

Step three is to show some ****ing urgency, and stop looking so nonchalant and care free while up a man.

Any people on the roster you'd like added or removed from the PP? Any schemes you'd draw up to try to instill some success?

Edit: we know the coach of special teams needs to go.

Last edited by jBuds: 03-20-2013 at 02:04 AM.
jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Step two would be to encourage more movement of bodies AND puck, and not have such a stationary approach.
THIS.

Whether it's the Sabres, or almost any other team, when I see a PP where the players don't rotate around---or just keep moving in general, I know 3 things are going to happen:

1) They will take forever to get a shot off
2) They will likely have that shot blocked
3) They will very likely NOT score at all on that PP

Taking forever to shoot is maybe a "waiting for the perfect shot" issue, I don't know---but the standing still thing is just nuts.

I watch it time and time again.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Shoey
Hello.

I'd like to put Vanek in a position where he can use his playmaking and shooting abilities rather than being a stick sponge in front.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:11 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Obviously the best way to fix our PP would be to get a puck mover who can QB it. But seeing that such a remedy is unrealistic at this stage of the season, what internal measures would you like to see in an effort to fix the power play?

Step 1, to me, is getting Pominville off of the point.

Step three is to show some ****ing urgency, and stop looking so nonchalant and care free while up a man.

Any people on the roster you'd like added or removed from the PP? Any schemes you'd draw up to try to instill some success?

Edit: we know the coach of special teams needs to go.
I'm in the tank crowd so I'm fine with the power play sucking but for the point of this thread, I'll attempt to be constructive.

I strongly agree with the first two steps. The biggest question is who else should be on the point of the top unit PP with Ehrhoff. Hodgson needs to be on the half-wall; he was excellent there in Rochester and he's comfortable there. I believe the power play should flow through him. My locks for being on the PP are:

Hodgson, Vanek, Pominville, Ehrhoff

Players in consideration for the other 6 spots:
Ott, Leino, Stafford, Ennis, Leopold, Sekera, Pysyk, Myers

I'll propose something different although I'm not sure how it will work:

Ott-Hodgson-Pominville-Ehrhoff-Vanek

Vanek on the point lets him take less of a beating, features his slap shot / passing and gives more freedom for the entire unit to move around / free flow. If Vanek is moving around and Pominville drifts back to the point, it won't be foreign to him. The biggest thing for me is keeping the players moving. It could be a disaster but it's hard for them to be any worse 5 on 4.

I don't feel very strong about the players that are left so I would play the top unit at least 1:15 of the PP. I think I would go with:

Leino-Ennis-Stafford-Myers-xxx

If it were up to me, Ehrhoff would be the xxx and would play the full 2 minutes of the power play if necessary. Assuming that's not an option, I'm putting Pysyk there right now. If he goes back down to Rochester when Sekera comes back, I'm putting Sekera there or Leopold to boost his trade value. The biggest problem I have is on the point but with our current roster there's nothing that can be done about it.

I believe that Ennis needs to be off the PP. His strengths are nonexistent on the power play, that is a transition game. He was the second worst forward on the PP last season behind Leino and I hold more stock in the larger sample size than this season's. That being said, I don't see a quality alternative right now (or for Leino) and Ennis, to his credit, has been much better this season.

This could be a disaster but it already is one so I'd take the chance on it. The biggest thing isn't the personnel in itself but that the power play is non-stagnant.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Ness
Your favorite thing?

For starters, change our ****ing zone entry. Tired of seeing Ennis trying to dangle through 4 PK'ers and getting stopped at the blue line every time.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Wisent42

First of all, I've been trying to figure out the PP idea of this team for a couple of years. I'm not sure what they're trying to do. Neither are they, it seems. It takes way too long to set up, a lot of time is wasted shuffling the puck along the boards with their backs turned. And once it's set up, if ever, it's too static and the passing just too bad.

I'd like to move Vanek away from the net. He's really good at getting the puck in the net from up close, but he has other skills that can be used on the PP. Put him in the left circle where he can use his passing skills as well as his shot. From there he could back up to the point or he can move in on the net for a rebound if the shot comes from the point or the right. Let someone else take the beating in the crease.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
TheHoff

The point needs to get some more pucks from the forwards imo

TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Ott/Foligno/Stafford should be handling the majority of the net front work... NOT Vanek

Ennis should be on the PP to gain zone entry, and then immediately dart off the ice for a change

Pominville should coach the PP, not play on it

lol

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I'm a broken record on this -- static powerplays are easily defended powerplays. They've been doing the same thing now without consistent success since the [edit] first lockout ended. They basically run something akin to what they used to when Drury was making his 178 degree angle shot from the low hub -- everyone stands in a certain spot and they hope someone else can get them the puck. Motion, begets open ice. Open ice begets passing and shooting opportunities that they just don't have.

If McCutcheon was sent packing for his ineptitude with the powerplay, why the hell are Patrick/Adams still given kicks at this rusty can? Scheme change once they have a new staff is a start. Personnel executing a terrible system will still be terrible.

Last edited by Chainshot: 03-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Exactly. Motion makes defenders move and make decisions. It's easy to defend when you just have to stand there.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Eichel 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ott/Foligno/Stafford should be handling the majority of the net front work... NOT Vanek

Ennis should be on the PP to gain zone entry, and then immediately dart off the ice for a change

Pominville should coach the PP, not play on it

lol
This x100

I find it ridiculous that our best player on the team doesn't have control of the puck more often when we have a man advantage.

Eichel 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I never got the whole Pominville on the point thing. It just never really made all that much sense to me, other than having a fourth forward out there instead of a defenseman.

Put Stafford in front of the net, let Vanek play the half wall.

The movement thing is the highest priority, though. Doesn't really matter what personnel changes they make, they're not going to score when all 5 guys are glued to the ice.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote