HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal/Trade Rumour Thread II (NHL rumors/trades talk in here as well)

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
BronYrAur

vCash: 500
If the price for Ott involves a first, then....uh, pass.

Plus $3m in cap hit next season would be manageable but it means Stal & Bicks are absolutely gone.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:49 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

I vote no on Ott. He's not a 2nd liner any more than Bolland. The bottom six is fine. Why mess up the team with a POS? He's a slightly more effective Raffi Torres. I never want to root for this idiot, and there are many other ways to to go to improve the team.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:02 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
I vote no on Ott. He's not a 2nd liner any more than Bolland. The bottom six is fine. Why mess up the team with a POS? He's a slightly more effective Raffi Torres. I never want to root for this idiot, and there are many other ways to to go to improve the team.
i feel exactly the same.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:11 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayvaan View Post
The Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg line has really become more than the sum of its parts imo. It would be mistake to break that up.

That said I think Ott could bring a lot to this team, I think we should do something like
Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Bolland-Kane
Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg
Kruger-Ott-Frolik

This turns our 4th line into a true checking line that we can match up against other teams top lines while maintaining the chemistry we have in the 1st and 3rd lines.
Perfect! I like that lineup a lot and Tayvaan is right - do not break up the 3rd line. Ott would take all the faceoffs that Kruger is currently taking.

Kruger has taken 342 faceoffs this season, winning 155 and losing 187 for a 45.3% and a possession of -32, or basically one less possession per game.

Ott has taken 296 faceoffs this season, winning 173 and losing 123 for a 58.4% and a possession of +50, or basically more than 1.5 more possessions per game.

If Ott had taken Krugers 342 faceoffs this season, he would have won 200 faceoffs and lost 142 for a possession of +58 which is exactly 2 more possessions per game, or a net gain of 3 possessions per game differential between Kruger and Ott. When considering that many of the Kruger faceoffs came on the PK and some of those faceoffs losses preceded goals against.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
If the price for Ott involves a first, then....uh, pass.
A first would be getting off pretty cheaply. I'd estimate his value as a 1st + a roster player or top prospect at the minimum.

My money is still on Nate Thompson being Bowman's primary target. Good at the dot, solid overall player, and pending UFA.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:20 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Not sure if this thread exists somewhere else but based on reading our "Free Agency" and "Trade Rumor/Speculation" threads i think there are some misconceptions that need to be addressed as well as a basic understanding of the Hawks cap space, both now and in the future, for everyone to easily understand.

HAWKS CAPGEEK

We can use this thread to guess how Bowman will handle the future cap as well as what moves we can afford to make. Along with other things like future raises for current Hawks players, UFAs and RFAs. Basically, all things Chicago Blackhawks Cap space!

Currently the Hawks are at $6.35 Million, about $50,000 under next season's cap. In the offseason the following players will absolutely be getting some sort of raise...

*NOTE: The "Expected Cap Hits" are what i think it will take for the Hawks to re-sign these players OR what i think they'll get on the open market. I could be off but these are my best guesses based on UFA trends the past few years

2012-13 OFFSEASON

PLAYER-->STATUS --> CURRENT CAP HIT-->EXPECTED NEW CAP HIT

Kruger --> RFA-->$900k-->$1.25 million
Stalberg--> UFA--> $875K -->$3.25 million
Mayers--> UFA--> $650K-->$650K
Bickell--> UFA-->$541K-->$2.25 million
Rozsival--> UFA--> $2 million-->$2 million
Leddy-->RFA-->$1.16 million-->$2.25 million
Emery-->UFA-->$1.15 million-->$3.5 million

Cap Hit for the 2013-14 Season: $64.3 Million Cap Space for the 2013-14 Season: $6.63 million

The Chicago Blackhawks do still have 2 Amnesty Buyout Options which they can (and most likely will) use this offseason. If they buy out the contracts of Rostislav Olesz ($3.125 million) and Steve Montador ($2.75 million) they will have an additional $5.87 million in cap space bringing their current cap total to $57.66 million leaving them with $6.63 million in cap space for next offseason.

With the above mentioned players that will need raises this offseason, it also needs to be noted that in the 2013-14 OFFSEASON the following players are due raises...

2013-14 OFFSEASON

PLAYER-->STATUS --> CURRENT CAP HIT-->EXPECTED NEW CAP HIT

Bolland--> UFA-->$3.37 million-->???
Hjalmarsson--> UFA--> $3.5 million -->???
Brookbank--> UFA--> $1.25 million-->???
Crawford--> UFA-->$2.66 million->???

The future is uncertain in terms of how these above mentioned players will be playing in their contract year, but i think its safe to assume atleast 2 out of the 3 (Brookbank will be gone most likely) will be back with Chicago and need raises.

These next two offseasons are going to be absolutely crucial to the Blackhawks future success. The management of our depth, and key role players is going to determine a lot. Long term contracts could potentially be a killer for this team. Bad contracts absolutely will be. Kane and Toews will need raises as well so any contracts that extend past the 2014-15 season have to be friendly to our team.

Ladies and gentleman, fellow Hawks fans, i believe we our quickly approaching cap hell.

EDIT: Given the strong possibility my math is wrong, please dont hesitate to correct me...not that you wouldn't have anyway

Old
03-19-2013, 11:39 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
The Chicago Blackhawks do still have 2 Amnesty Buyout Options which they can (and most likely will) use this offseason. If they buy out the contracts of Rostislav Olesz ($3.125 million) and Steve Montador ($2.75 million) they will have an additional $5.87 million in cap space bringing their current cap total to $57.66 million leaving them with $6.63 million in cap space for next offseason.
I doubt they use both buyouts after this season. I still think Bowman will hold onto one of them till after next season so that he can at least have the option to buyout Hossa with only 2 real years left on his contract.

*EDIT* The Hawks are also in a much better position to handle losing players due to cap constraints now than they were last time. The Hawks have enough depth in Rockford now to fill in where needed. Unlike before when they had to rely on bargain basement vets like Pisani and Cullimore.

Last edited by sketch22: 03-19-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 11:58 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Perfect! I like that lineup a lot and Tayvaan is right - do not break up the 3rd line. Ott would take all the faceoffs that Kruger is currently taking.

Kruger has taken 342 faceoffs this season, winning 155 and losing 187 for a 45.3% and a possession of -32, or basically one less possession per game.

Ott has taken 296 faceoffs this season, winning 173 and losing 123 for a 58.4% and a possession of +50, or basically more than 1.5 more possessions per game.

If Ott had taken Krugers 342 faceoffs this season, he would have won 200 faceoffs and lost 142 for a possession of +58 which is exactly 2 more possessions per game, or a net gain of 3 possessions per game differential between Kruger and Ott. When considering that many of the Kruger faceoffs came on the PK and some of those faceoffs losses preceded goals against.
Wait what? You want to give up major assets and pay $3m/yr for Ott to take Kruger's draws on the 4th line? The 4th line has somehow been awesome even without winning FOs - there's more to possession than FOs. Steve Ott has a -22 Corsi, 3rd worst for BUF this year. Those FO wins are not translating to possession.

Last edited by LarmerSavardSecord: 03-20-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: adding
Old
03-20-2013, 12:10 AM
massivegoonery

I think the idea is that Ott would replace Bollig on the fourth line, plus take the draws. I can see the attraction there. Personally, I don't think I'd really want to bring a big personality guy like Ott in - who knows how the dynamic would change with him in the room?

Looking at what's out there: how about Mark Letestu?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:21 AM
LarmerSavardSecord

I'll also add that Kruger has a 35%v DefZoneStart and a 52% OffZoneFinish this year; last year it was a 45-52 ratio. When Kruger is on the ice, the hawks have possession.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:29 AM
sketch22

Quote:
I'll also add that Kruger has a 35%v DefZoneStart and a 52% OffZoneFinish this year; last year it was a 45-52 ratio. When Kruger is on the ice, the hawks have possession.
A big part of that is Frolik. All heart & hustle constantly trying (and mostly succeeding) to win the puck.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Tayvaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I think the idea is that Ott would replace Bollig on the fourth line, plus take the draws. I can see the attraction there. Personally, I don't think I'd really want to bring a big personality guy like Ott in - who knows how the dynamic would change with him in the room?

Yeah, the purpose of bringing in Ott is to replace Bollig/Mayers/Carcillo on the 4th line. While Bollig has played fairly well lately having any of those guys on that line makes you wary of using it as a checking line against the best lines in the league. Ott basically completes the line by adding another quality defensive player who also adds physicality and faceoff ability. He certainly isn't the only guy who can bring those qualities, Letestu could be similarly valuable though I'm not sure how eager Columbus is to part with him.

As for the locker room, no chance Ott changes anything there. The leadership group of this team is too strong and too well established for one guy to come in and dramatically alter the teams mindset.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:06 AM
SLarmer28

Chicago Blackhawks can't afford Ott's cap hit next season.

I'd rather trade Michael Frolik for Boyd Gordon, who incidentally will be an unrestricted free agent next season.

Boyd Gordon can play right wing or center and has been consistently one of the best at faceoffs in the last three to four seasons.

Boyd Gordon also has a much better shorthanded Corsi rating than Frolik:

Boyd Gordon - Corsi SH Rank 74
Michael Frolik - Corsi SH Rank 142

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati..._s&f2=4v5&f4=C LW RW&f7=10-&f8=1-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+6 7#snip=f

Old
03-20-2013, 01:45 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Would Goc even want to come to Chicago?
who the hell cares if he wants? It's a business and trades are part of that. Goc does not have a NTC or NMC.

Bowman and Gauthier were at the Bell Centre last night? Why do you think they only scout and looked at the Sabres? Habs need some size upfront and they have Eller who could be had

Old
03-20-2013, 04:40 AM
ploppsdman

I doubt Ott is going anywhere. He's being talked as the Sabres next Captain and is basically the only guy who works his butt off every shift. I expect every one else on that roster to be available... with Sabres aggresively looking to move Pominville, Leopold, and Stafford.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Colby Armstrong over Bollig or getting Eller. That's the only 2 players I see the Habs trading to us...

BUF has Hecht as UFA to be. If we would have wanted him, we could have signed him before the lockout in the offseason.
Gerbe would fit with our team not not fill any need.

Ott has a year left and I don't see the Sabres trading him. Hodgson would be perfect but there is no way they trade him. Would that be great to see the VAN Fans after that.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Chelios

I would love to get Ott if the price is right. Put him on the 4th line for now, then move him up if the 3rd line cools off. Next year you can let Stalberg/Bickell walk, move Shaw to the wing and Ott moves up to be 3rd line C (or LW but taking faceoffs). His cap hit is not bad, considering both Bickell and Stalberg will be commanding close to that on the open market.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post

I've liked Letestu for awhile.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
He's also played on the 3rd and 2nd line this year

Old
03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Wait what? You want to give up major assets and pay $3m/yr for Ott to take Kruger's draws on the 4th line? The 4th line has somehow been awesome even without winning FOs - there's more to possession than FOs. Steve Ott has a -22 Corsi, 3rd worst for BUF this year. Those FO wins are not translating to possession.
First of all, I doubt the Hawks get him because even if Buffalo entertains the idea of trading him the price will probably be too steep. Second, even though he has a year left on his contract, I would use him like a rental and trade him after the season, he should be easy to trade. So use him the rest of this season on the 4th line with Kruger and Frolik and you still have an agitator on that line but that agitator gives the Hawks the second good faceoff guy they need.

As to his corsi number - Buffalo is having a terrible season which is influencing that number.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Started this thread

GORDON TO CHI

Gordon

Frolik + Kruger/Pirri

Hawks get cap space and a 4C

Old
03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
moose vasko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
A first would be getting off pretty cheaply. I'd estimate his value as a 1st + a roster player or top prospect at the minimum.

My money is still on Nate Thompson being Bowman's primary target. Good at the dot, solid overall player, and pending UFA.
This, or a similar move (i.e. inexpensive bottom 6 center), makes the most sense.

Last edited by moose vasko: 03-20-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Buffalo traded Roy for Ott, no way Ott comes cheap. I dont want a douchey player like him on our team anyway

Old
03-20-2013, 11:06 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Started this thread

GORDON TO CHI

Gordon

Frolik + Kruger/Pirri

Hawks get cap space and a 4C
lol no. boyd sucks

and people talking about nate Thompson are crazy. he's a turnover on ice.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:10 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
lol no. boyd sucks

and people talking about nate Thompson are crazy. he's a turnover on ice.
No - actually he is one of the best faceoff guys in the league and has been for years. He is currently the 6th best in the league winning 58.6% of 483 faceoffs taken. He is a UFA so there would be no salary cap impact. He would be just what the Hawks need - a second good faceoff guy who plays PK and doesn't impact the salary cap.

Unfortunately, I doubt Phoenix trades him while they're still in the playoffs hunt - which they are and will probably still be on April 3rd.

Closed Thread