HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's face it, our Islanders just aren't a good team, not a playoff team

Old
03-20-2013, 10:52 AM
scott99

vCash: 500
Let's face it, our Islanders just aren't a good team, not a playoff team

Last night's loss to Ottawa (3/19), was a microcosm of the season. The Isles tease with sporatic great performance, only to come back to earth with their usual ineptness.

JT is doing his usual disappearing act (8 games in March, 4 goals, 2 assists, 2 of those goals in 1 game), at the worst possible moment, as well as Moulson. When your best players don't produce, and Okposo and Bailey are your best perfomers, you know you're in trouble.

Our goaltending has been average at best, Nabokov is brilliant one moment, like a sieve the next, and that can happen in the same game. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he plays in front of our Swiss Cheese defense.

Hamonic has been a huge disappointment, where is the hitting ?, where is the edginess ? He's supposed to be this snarling, mean all around d-man, and yet I'm seeing Okposo out hit him for Pete's sake. MacDonald looked like a future shut down D-man, now he's terrible, and his long stick is just a gimmick. Streit is a pylon. When a scrap heap D-man is your best D-man (Strait), and he's out, that hurts, and shows how bad your defense is.

I can't see this current lineup making the playoffs, just not enough horses, and we can't afford for our top guns to go silent. Not all gloom and doom, I've seen some progress, and I'm excited about our future, BUT, I saw a team last night that just isn't very good, in a VERY important game.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:55 AM
xECK29x

this team is terrible

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Islander Prophet

I still think we make it, a favorable second half schedule will be our best ally

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran journeyman

Not that I disagree with the OP...but the fact is no other team from like 6 on down is really finding another gear here. I don't know if it's the crazy way the season started, the condensed schedule, or what, but a lot of teams seem stuck in a lower gear, and for that reason alone, it ain't over for the Isles, as mediocre as they are.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
JetsMetsIsles

We still have a chance at the playoffs. We were I think 3-1-2 over the previous 6 games. We have an easier schedule in the second half.

How we respond after such a terrible loss yesterday will be more telling.

We're still moving in the right direction and aren't playing terrible hockey. There are a few teams now that are collapsing which could help.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:29 AM
SI

A coach away from the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Last night's loss to Ottawa (3/19), was a microcosm of the season. The Isles tease with sporatic great performance, only to come back to earth with their usual ineptness.

JT is doing his usual disappearing act (8 games in March, 4 goals, 2 assists, 2 of those goals in 1 game), at the worst possible moment, as well as Moulson. When your best players don't produce, and Okposo and Bailey are your best perfomers, you know you're in trouble.

Our goaltending has been average at best, Nabokov is brilliant one moment, like a sieve the next, and that can happen in the same game. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he plays in front of our Swiss Cheese defense.

Hamonic has been a huge disappointment, where is the hitting ?, where is the edginess ? He's supposed to be this snarling, mean all around d-man, and yet I'm seeing Okposo out hit him for Pete's sake. MacDonald looked like a future shut down D-man, now he's terrible, and his long stick is just a gimmick. Streit is a pylon. When a scrap heap D-man is your best D-man (Strait), and he's out, that hurts, and shows how bad your defense is.

I can't see this current lineup making the playoffs, just not enough horses, and we can't afford for our top guns to go silent. Not all gloom and doom, I've seen some progress, and I'm excited about our future, BUT, I saw a team last night that just isn't very good, in a VERY important game.
They had this game won.

IMO this is a coaching thing - the team has to perform (for sure), but when a team is giving up two goal leads in the third period or taking too many penalties -
my attention turns to the coaching staff.
We need a REAL head coach.

IMO I think this team has the talent to be the 8th seed. We are a few pieces away for sure
we need a goalie to help Nabokov, we need to upgrade from the likes of Aucoin and Reasoner.

If there is a real commitment to winning, then I think we should be buyers...

One sign would be resigning Streit, Visnovsky, and Nabokov.
A second sign would be firing the Head coach and replacing him with someone who can get the job done!

SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI View Post
They had this game won.

IMO this is a coaching thing - the team has to perform (for sure), but when a team is giving up two goal leads in the third period or taking too many penalties -

IMO I think this team has the talent to be the 8th seed. We are a few pieces away for sure
we need a goalie to help Nabokov, we need to upgrade from the likes of Aucoin and Reasoner.

A second sign would be firing the Head coach and replacing him with someone who can get the job done!
I'm really not a big fan of Streit but we need either one of Vis or Streit next season but not both. I really think we need a #1 goalie also. I like Nabokov but he's no longer a #1. We need a big top pairing D-man to play with Harmonic then we can move A-mac and Strait down to 2nd or 3rd pairing where they belong. We can't come back next season with virtually the same team and expect to win.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Everyone's bunched up in the middle. It's a product of the ding-dong way the NHL doles out points, not the quality of the team. The team just went on a 6 or 7 game run... and are no closer to the 8 spot than they were before. They're 3 points out of 8, but also 4 points out of 14th. The stars would have to align to make strides... 3 or 4 other teams would need to go on major skids and the Isles would have to go on a big run.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI View Post
They had this game won.

There is our answer. We NEED a better Head Coach. Capuano does not get the most out of this roster which, whether you want to admit it or not, is perfectly capable of squeezing into the playoffs.

The injury ridden Sens are a perfect example of what good coaching can do for a team.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

We need a head coach and two or three guy who can play and have size and hit and go up the middle and play haRRRRRRd....but wewon't get a coach and Snow is too busy eating to bother to get us help.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
LAIslanderFan

There's a chance!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Isles Fan

Sad thing is they really are not that bad and should be a playoff team.

Just think if they won two of the games that they have blown 3rd period leads and just one of DiPietro's starts, they are in right now.

The third period flops is clearly a coaching issue and the DiPietro mess you pin on Wang and Snow.

Could JT use another winger? Maybe. Could they use a stronger guy on D, sure but what team can't?

Their current position, imo, has less to do with on ice personel and more to do with Front Office and Coaching blunders.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
I still think we make it, a favorable second half schedule will be our best ally
I know we have been unusually good on the road this year but we end the season with 5 road games in a row. Even if by some miracle we are right there with 5 to go, ending the schedule with 5 straight road games is never a good thing.

Even so, it's a moot point. Until this team learns how to hold a 3rd period lead they will always be a bad hockey team. I can count right off the top of my head 6 points (all home games of course) that we have just thrown away. Literally, took 6 precious points in a shortened season and tossed them in the toilet.

- Feb 9th - Buffalo. Out shot them something like 45-18 and STILL lost.
- Feb 24th - Carolina. In COMPLETE control of the game. Up 2-0 late in 2nd. Lose 4-2.
- Last night - Well... you all saw what happened.

That put's us at 35 points and in 6th place right now. It's sickening if you think about it.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Moosie

Having players who don't excel = not having to pay big bucks on the next contract. Seriously, these guys could be good if they had any confidence.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Islanders1932

We are not terrible. Get that through your heads. We are mediocre. There is a big difference. The last few years we were terrible. This team has improved. They are now mediocre.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Wedregast

vCash: 50
I think the problems are two fold with this team. The most glaring is the coaching. Cappy sucks at motivating and getting these players to battle for 60 minutes. Every game they start slow and end slow, we just have a good 2nd period basically.

The second problem I think is the confidience level of the team. You can tell how fragile a lot of them are, when we are winning they play loose, and battle; but once the opposing team scores a goal or two their confidience shatters and they make mistakes, play scared and get lazy. This isn't an issue with all of our players, but most of them not named Tavares.

That said, I think this team has taken a step forward this season, but making the PO's might be just out of reach. Hopefully next season, Cappy will be gone and we'll get a real coach in that can fix the problems and take this team not a step forward, but a level forward.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:54 PM
gramatanboy

As many have already said, we are improving but not enough this year for a playoff spot. Hopefully, next year we will have a new coach and 3-5 new players that can improve the Islanders physical game and skill level--we will see!!

gramatanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

To add... the personnel on the ice isn't terrible. It's a coaching and front office issue. And for those who doubt that, look at the Columbus Blue Jackets right now.

That team has been HORRIBLE for over a decade now. They get rid of their best player (by far) and they are one of the hottest teams in the league right now. Sure, they got off to a real bad start but there were a good amount of new faces with a 7 day training camp. Now look at them. Reeling off points almost every night. So why after so long do they finally seem to be putting it together? My guess (it's not rocket science)... the complete overhaul in the front office before this season. They completely changed the culture and you can see it. Until that happens here (it won't as long as Wanger is in charge), we will never see this teams full potential.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
ferrisUML

I honestly think we're good enough now to make the playoffs, but Cappy:

1. Doesnt motivate or prepare the team enough so we come out too slow and are forced to come from behind
2. Doesn't have a system in place to protect one (or even three) goal leads in the third

Put a decent coach, not Al Arbour mind you, behind the bench and this team is night and day IMO.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Islander Prophet

Win against Montreal tomorrow, and we could see a small win streak develop

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
I honestly think we're good enough now to make the playoffs, but Cappy:

1. Doesnt motivate or prepare the team enough so we come out too slow and are forced to come from behind
2. Doesn't have a system in place to protect one (or even three) goal leads in the third

Put a decent coach, not Al Arbour mind you, behind the bench and this team is night and day IMO.
This is where I get lost with today's game. The idea of protecting a lead. I guess its the idea that a tie gets you a point so even if you blow a lead as long as you tie its ok so going into a defensive shell is ok.

BS!

You know the best way to protect a lead?

Add to it!

Show me a coach that wants to attack every minute his team is not on the PK no matter what the score and I will show you a winning coach.

Its the same adage used in football "All the prevent defense does is prevent you from winning"

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Tavaresfan91

I wish I could make a 10 minuite pitch to this game before every game, I bet I could pump this team up 10000x more than Cappy could....with motivation and good coaching we would be in as of now...no doubt 2 thing isles should have done a month ago

Get Cappy and Okposo the **** out of here and replace them with a proven coach or even weight and replace KO with Niño and put him with JT and give Boyes okposos spot. Bang problem solved

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Ghost Of Palffy

So two days ago there's a thread about how this is a playoff team, and now today they're not a playoff team. The bipolarity on these boards is funny at times. They are a young team that will probably be around .500. Unless there is a major shakeup in the lineup or a trade of some sort, they'll stay this way.

Ghost Of Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:24 PM
NYI JT91
Backhand Of Justice

vCash: 50
I will agree that they don't belong in the playoffs.. If JTs line was better the last week or 2 maybe I feel a bit different but with that being said, that does not mean we don't sneak in. A win tomorrow will likely put us 1 point out of the playoffs since the 6-9 spots are teams all with 32 points and a win tomorrow puts us at 31 then we have a chance for points Friday and Sunday. Then with Florida, Washington and Philadelphia coming up (all winnable games) I still remain cautiously optimistic. They need to shake off the last game and hopefully finally actually learn from it and move on. Also hopefully the JT line has a fire lit under its ass after Cappys post game last night, if that happens we are right back in it and hopefully the 2nd and 3rd line continue to play as they have been.

I will say this, a better coach and right now we are sitting in 7th or 8th.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Fan101

I think teams develop fragile confidence because they develop unrealistic expectations along with the fans and management. Coming off the early season roadtrip their confidence was high but after a couple of setbacks they realized they weren't the 82 Islanders or 85 Oilers. The team has definite shortcomings but they need to develop the fun of competing. I think the Senators are a better team but even them I don't have penciled in as Cup finalists. Even the Rangers were hurting scoring one goal in 3 games but Monday they scored one goal against CAR and took them to a shootout and last night they had a spirited win in NJ.

It seems like Weight's influence on the offensive game is there but they don't play with the defensive team poise that McClean's team showed last night against them. Unfortunately trying to play 60 minutes at full throttle leads to 3rd period collapses since the opposition come out more despaerate in the 3rd if they're down. Capuano has them playing some positional hockey but the work in front of the net is questionable at times. It is a work in progress. To still be competing for a spot at this point is positive.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote