HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Fair enough. I didn't realize Petaccio was American as well. I don't recall the SSM three having to pay $30,000 in bail though either...usually if they make you put up like that, they have some concerns.
I remember Petaccio had to stay overnight in jail as well while the other two were released on bail because him being American meant more issues/concerns on him coming back. It it a pretty sizeable amount though, Petaccio's was like $2000. I wonder if it's a combination of him being American and being a 3rd round NHL draft pick vs being undrafted like Petaccio.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post

Or they could use a couple of those seconds to get a high second this year. A team like London who is returning most of their roster might want the two 2014 second rounders in their pocket rather than drafting a second rounder this year who couldn't be traded for the year. They could use the 2014 seconds to improve their team - but couldn't use the drafted 2013 second rounder who would battle for playing time all year.
This would make a lot of sense for both teams. Just have to wonder if Hunter and Rychel would help each other out like that.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Spitsfan191

i saw a page back people were wondering about the time frame of when it will go to court, according to the star the case will be in court April 16

Old
03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
This would make a lot of sense for both teams. Just have to wonder if Hunter and Rychel would help each other out like that.
Hell, I could see Kerby traded to London if you get the hosting gig.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I remember Petaccio had to stay overnight in jail as well while the other two were released on bail because him being American meant more issues/concerns on him coming back. It it a pretty sizeable amount though, Petaccio's was like $2000. I wonder if it's a combination of him being American and being a 3rd round NHL draft pick vs being undrafted like Petaccio.
Could be...I think ability / likehood of fleeing are factors in setting the amount.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:44 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Hell, I could see Kerby traded to London if you get the hosting gig.
Could you see him traded back to Barrie if we get it?

Wouldn't that be rich...course he'll be worth a first round NHL pick, but wasn't worth a first round OHL pick to begin with, right?

Old
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Could you see him traded back to Barrie if we get it?

Wouldn't that be rich...course he'll be worth a first round NHL pick, but wasn't worth a first round OHL pick to begin with, right?
Would not surprise me if Pavelka gets dealt to Barrie,they need a goalie,and have 2

Euro openings,and both their picks will be late

Old
03-19-2013, 10:31 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Would not surprise me if Pavelka gets dealt to Barrie,they need a goalie,and have 2

Euro openings,and both their picks will be late
Don't see it. The Colts have a lot of confidence in Fotinos. I know he wanted an opportunity to play in his draft year, and that other teams were interested at the deadline, but the Colts valued him too highly.

Plus, I don't think the Colts will have any OA spots with the guys they have already...and they would probably value those guys more than Pavelka...and they may already be looking to upgrade on those guys...If they're going to go with an OA/Import goaltender, hopefully they'll go for a better one (i.e. Machovsky).

Plus, Plus...You can get decent players in the import draft later. You get teams passing (especially in the second round) and a lot of teams go with the guy they think they can get to come over.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:59 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Kings fan here, sorry to bug you all.

But I read a few pages back that Ebert was going to go down to Ontario in the ECHL now that the OHL season is over. Is there any more development to that?

Edit: Wanted to add, how satisfied are you with Nick Ebert, overall? I know it was a rough season, but was he decent defensively? Was he much of a leader?

Thanks for the feedback!

Old
03-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Percyma

Hey Spitfire fans. It looks like Dalen Kuchmey could very well playing with the Spits next season.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/03/19/cr...in-the-running

Kuchmey could be a player like Troy Passingham - makes the team as a 19-year-old rookie and plays an overage season after that.

Last edited by Percyma: 03-20-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 07:58 AM
OHLTG

Last I heard, he's heading to the ECHL for the rest of their season/playoffs. Haven't heard anything beyond that.

Regarding his play - he's developed his offence more than I thought he would; becoming a leader on the blue-line. His defensive game leaves a bit to be desired, though. Not much of a hockey IQ and fans are regularly on him for missing something or not clearing the front of the net.

His potential is still there, but people keep mentioning his hockey IQ, or lack thereof. He's young, so lots of time; not overly concerned about it.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyma View Post
Hey Spitfire fans. It looks like Dalen Kuchmey could very well playing with the Spits next season.

Kuchmey could be a player like Troy Passingham - makes the team as a 19-year-old rookie and plays an overage season after that.
I believe he's only 17-18, same age as DeKort. He'll have three years of OHL eligibility remaining (including OA season). He'll be playing somewhere in the OHL next year, if not with the Spits - he deserves that much. If he didn't burn his NCAA eligibility he could have been a sought after commodity for a nice scholarship as well.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:26 AM
OHLTG

He's Sept 94, so will be 19.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Regarding his play - he's developed his offence more than I thought he would; becoming a leader on the blue-line. His defensive game leaves a bit to be desired, though. Not much of a hockey IQ and fans are regularly on him for missing something or not clearing the front of the net.
His potential is still there, but people keep mentioning his hockey IQ, or lack thereof. He's young, so lots of time; not overly concerned about it.

For some reason, the main flaw in his game, one on ones, he continues to be horrible with. His poor gapping and backward skating result in Ebert constantly being beaten to the outside. That is stuff he should have learned im minor hockey so he either has not had the coaching (including three years with the Spits) or he has an inability to grasp the concept.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyma View Post

i thought this year at camp Kuchmey played better then Dekort

Old
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
big papa

Quote:
Last I heard, he's heading to the ECHL for the rest of their season/playoffs. Haven't heard anything beyond that.

Part of the reason is that they have him playing to many mins in the game. he is on the PP, the PK and was #1-2 majority of the year. if he was playing a #3-4 with time on the PP then he would be way better. look at his rookie year, he was fantastic manly because he was #3-4 while playing with Ellis on the PP then he was given way to many min as well he came to camp out of shape in his second year and it took him half the season to get into shape

Old
03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
mini2z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan191 View Post
i saw a page back people were wondering about the time frame of when it will go to court, according to the star the case will be in court April 16
That's just his first appearance or plea date & that's it, there will be a Preliminary Hearing, then set dates, modifications of conditions and sometime a year or longer from now it'll go to trial.

I hope we get Kutchmy actually on the team but I'm biased as he's friends with my son. He did play better that DeKort at the camp.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:35 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
i thought this year at camp Kuchmey played better then Dekort
IMHO You are correct and last year he was better as well. He is not a huge guy but is faster and has the 'glove' DeKort doesn't have BUT DeKort was a 2nd round pick and it wouldn't have looked good on WR and the scouting staff if he had beaten out DeKort.
That being said I just can't see DeKort as the #1 goaltender on the Spits next year. What I can see is Pavelka getting traded or staying home to play for $$$ in Europe and DeKort being traded.
So where does that leave us? My guess is we pick up an OHL vet in a trade and have him and Kuchemy fight for minutes. Doesn't sound too appealing but it would be just a stop-gap measure on a team that I expect will not get the memorial cup bid (we find out in April). Once the Spitfire Mgmt has all the Season tickets sales they can get, the dismantling of the team as we know it will begin. Some of it before the season and the balance at trade deadline time......

Old
03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
SimonKnightsman

If you were going to rebuild the best returns option is next fall on solid players. Buyers then have brand shiny new 16 yr old prospects that a Kerby could land you...hello Kingston. Trading in off season rarely lands you and big bounty like trade deadlines do....ala Sudbury recently.

Kerby & Monahan will be attractive assets next fall.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Ottomatic

Assuming trading import picks is still allowed this year - what would the Spits have to do to move up to #2(Ottawa) or #5(Erie)?

Could our #11 and Sanvido get us #2?

I guess the availability to move up will depend on if the 67s or Otters are even looking to trade the pick or will want to keep the pick for themselves. The Petes will likely trade #8 given the traded away their import pick last year. I don't know if it's worth moving up to #8 from #11.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:33 PM
OHLTG

I wouldn't deal Sanvido just to move up in the draft. He's going to be a fixture for years with us.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Assuming trading import picks is still allowed this year - what would the Spits have to do to move up to #2(Ottawa) or #5(Erie)?

Could our #11 and Sanvido get us #2?

I guess the availability to move up will depend on if the 67s or Otters are even looking to trade the pick or will want to keep the pick for themselves. The Petes will likely trade #8 given the traded away their import pick last year. I don't know if it's worth moving up to #8 from #11.
I don't think it would be worth it for Windsor or Ottawa. If Ottawa took Day they would have Day and Middleton two guys on the back end for a few years. They also have another 96 on D Duchesne and 4 95's as well. I imagine Ottawa would use their pick to get a top tier forward since one import is already leaving and Kuptsov is no great shakes.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Tampa Bay signs D-man Slater Koekkoek to a 3 year entry level contract today

I guess they are not worried about his shoulder ans is apparently ahead of schdeule in his

recovery

Old
03-20-2013, 04:16 PM
punch1943

Quote:
I wouldn't deal Sanvido just to move up in the draft. He's going to be a fixture for years with us.
Gotta agree Sanvido did better than anyone expected this year. Certainly he has his flaws..lack of speed being one but with his size & wingspan he has a lot of potential. He seems to have a bit of an edge as well. If he gets stronger and works on his mobility a bit he'll make one tough defense man. A keeper for sure....

Old
03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Ottomatic

I mention Sanvido because you need to give up something to get something. And I think he'd have value to others for the same reason folks where want to keep him. But we're returning eight defencemen next year, so somebody will have to be shipped out - and if it would mean getting an elite top line scorer in the import draft, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Closed Thread