HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Beendair Donedat

vCash: 500
Emelin didn't have a choice in either one of his fights. Both times he was forced to defend himself, although he brought Chara upon himself with the cross check...

Habs need more muscle to help out or Emelin is going to be seriously injured. Although he's mostly clean, Emelin does play borderline by times and other teams attack him without fear of retribution.

We need a deterrent.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You are the hypocrite if you overlook the mugging the Bruins were constantly giving Gallagher.

You sound like you condone viligante justice which is not surprising. Why should the rules not be in the hands of the officials as they are supposed to be.
I dont think you understand the meaning of the word hypocrite.

I'm fine with what Chara did the same way I'm fine with what white did. If a player would have taken offense at what he perceived to be liberties on gallagher and droppedthe gloves, i'd be fine with that.

What you seem to be thinking is that its okay for hab players to stand up for teamates but not for bruins players. That makes you a grade A hypocrite.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Emelin didn't have a choice in either one of his fights. Both times he was forced to defend himself, although he brought Chara upon himself with the cross check...

Habs need more muscle to help out or Emelin is going to be seriously injured. Although he's mostly clean, Emelin does play borderline by times and other teams attack him without fear of retribution.

We need a deterrent.
He clearly brought it on himself in both fights. You can bring in all the muscle in the world, it's not going to stop someone like Foligno or Chara from flying off the handle and wanting to rearrange Emelin's face when he does something stupid.

If he really doesn't want to/can't fight, he needs to stop crossing the line. Otherwise, he's going to have to answer the bell from time to time.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Maybe the scrap with Chara has given him the confidence that his face is fully healed?

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Maybe the scrap with Chara has given him the confidence that his face is fully healed?
I'm not sure Chara connected with his face proper... and I'm not sure what he has heals. Did Foligno catch him flush in the face?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Yeah, metal plates in the face don't exactly heal over time, heh. Facial reconstruction is kind of a permanent thing.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:35 AM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He clearly brought it on himself in both fights. You can bring in all the muscle in the world, it's not going to stop someone like Foligno or Chara from flying off the handle and wanting to rearrange Emelin's face when he does something stupid.

If he really doesn't want to/can't fight, he needs to stop crossing the line. Otherwise, he's going to have to answer the bell from time to time.
Under your respect, that's b.s. Nothing Emelin did yesterday to Foligno deserved a beating. I mean honestly. He barely touched him.

As for crossing the line, Emelin is having perfectly clean hits. The Seguin incident was dirtyish, but yesterday, he never crossed the line in any way.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Under your respect, that's b.s. Nothing Emelin did yesterday to Foligno deserved a beating. I mean honestly. He barely touched him.

As for crossing the line, Emelin is having perfectly clean hits. The Seguin incident was dirtyish, but yesterday, he never crossed the line in any way.
Without looking for a video to watch it again, I'm pretty sure he gave Foligno a good gloved punch in the face.

You can't pretend to be shocked when a guy with a reptuation for being ornery takes exception to getting punched in the face by trying to do the same to yours.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Without looking for a video to watch it again, I'm pretty sure he gave Foligno a good gloved punch in the face.

You can't pretend to be shocked when a guy with a reptuation for being ornery takes exception to getting punched in the face by trying to do the same to yours.
Pretty sure they were just shoving eachother until Foligno went bonkers.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Fine, make me look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUo2XzKN624

I was wrong about the punch, but the whole incident is started with Emelin's shot after the whistle. It wasn't a criminal shot or anything but it was pretty undisputably started by Emelin. Foligno went bonkers because Emelin gave him the chance to.

I don't blame Emelin. If he wants to be feisty and a bit of an ******* after the whistle, fine by me. But sometimes you set off the wrong guy and have to answer for it. Happened with Chara, happened with Foligno.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
sandysan

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

Emelin hit Foligno after the whistle ( the " hit" was mild)
Foligno took offense and pushed emelin
emelin ( with two hands on his stick) punched foligno with a gloved
fist
Foligno dropped the gloves and started throwing them.

If you want, the fight is in the hockey fights thread.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

Emelin hit Foligno after the whistle ( the " hit" was mild)
Foligno took offense and pushed emelin
emelin ( with two hands on his stick) punched foligno with a gloved
fist
Foligno dropped the gloves and started throwing them.

If you want, the fight is in the hockey fights thread.
After watching the video, I find your analysis to be off.

It was just a regular skirmish after a whistle, Emelin really didn't initiate it and Foligno went bonkers. I don't see a two handed crosscheck to the face as you said (two hands on stick= crosscheck).

Old
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Fine, make me look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUo2XzKN624

I was wrong about the punch, but the whole incident is started with Emelin's shot after the whistle. It wasn't a criminal shot or anything but it was pretty undisputably started by Emelin. Foligno went bonkers because Emelin gave him the chance to.

I don't blame Emelin. If he wants to be feisty and a bit of an ******* after the whistle, fine by me. But sometimes you set off the wrong guy and have to answer for it. Happened with Chara, happened with Foligno.
Emelin drifted into him because the offside call was made crazy late and he was going to hit him. How Emelin gets blamed here is beyond me. If nudges like that is all it takes for the other guy to go bombs away...Geez, pleks gives shoves after the whistle all the time. So does subban when the other team's players are too close to price. Would it really be their fault too in this situation?

It's also a clear example of the refs completely ****ing up and not calling foligno for the instigator. Just get rid of it if you're not going to call it.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Yeah, metal plates in the face don't exactly heal over time, heh. Facial reconstruction is kind of a permanent thing.
I was going to say something cheeky questioning whether you were a doctor, but your username squashed that.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
I was going to say something cheeky questioning whether you were a doctor, but your username squashed that.

Seriously though, I think they -can- remove plates ,when the face is strong enough, but Emelin's case was pretty severe. And IIRC, those plates are rarely removed unless they are causing pain. Better safe than sorry type of situation.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post

Seriously though, I think they -can- remove plates ,when the face is strong enough, but Emelin's case was pretty severe. And IIRC, those plates are rarely removed unless they are causing pain. Better safe than sorry type of situation.
I'm neither a doctor in real life or online, but I do remember Souray's metal plate in his hand being a pretty vicious weapon when he scrapped. Maybe Emelins face is now indestructible?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:03 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
I'm neither a doctor in real life or online, but I do remember Souray's metal plate in his hand being a pretty vicious weapon when he scrapped. Maybe Emelins face is now indestructible?

metal plate? Wasn't it a brace?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
metal plate? Wasn't it a brace?
Yup, and his wrist brace of terror was definitely a cutter!

Old
03-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
You know, if hockey worked by wrestling logic, Emelin could knock people out by running his face into them, not to mention break their hand if they punched him.

Alas, that will have to remain exclusive to the repertoire of Lex Luger circa 1992.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Emelin drifted into him because the offside call was made crazy late and he was going to hit him. How Emelin gets blamed here is beyond me. If nudges like that is all it takes for the other guy to go bombs away...Geez, pleks gives shoves after the whistle all the time. So does subban when the other team's players are too close to price. Would it really be their fault too in this situation?

It's also a clear example of the refs completely ****ing up and not calling foligno for the instigator. Just get rid of it if you're not going to call it.
Well we have 2 fights now this year involving Emelin where posters here claimed he wasn't at fault, yet the players on the ice saw differently and held him accountable for his actions. So is it the players who are consistently wrong in the way they police what Emelin does on the ice, or the posters who should come to terms with the fact that sometimes Emelin steps over the line, however minutely?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
or the posters who should come to terms with the fact that sometimes Emelin steps over the line, however minutely?
You just described 99% of all NHL players, 99% of all hockey plays.

(Stats may not be entirely accurate...)

Last edited by Dr Gonzo: 03-20-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 12:12 PM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Quote:
Well we have 2 fights now this year involving Emelin where posters here claimed he wasn't at fault, yet the players on the ice saw differently and held him accountable for his actions. So is it the players who are consistently wrong in the way they police what Emelin does on the ice, or the posters who should come to terms with the fact that sometimes Emelin steps over the line, however minutely?
I said from the start that him breaking his stick on Seguin was crossing the line, and that he better had waited for some retributions, especially from a team like the Bruins.

That being said, if what you saw yesterday is "crossing the line" in your vocabulary, well you definitely have a special conception of the expression.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
I said from the start that him breaking his stick on Seguin was crossing the line, and that he better had waited for some retributions, especially from a team like the Bruins.

That being said, if what you saw yesterday is "crossing the line" in your vocabulary, well you definitely have a special conception of the expression.
As I said back when the Seguin hit happened, it doesn't matter how I define "crossing the line", it matters how the players on the ice define it.

People said it with the Seguin incident. They said Chara overreacted and that Emelin didn't deserve to be fought.

Now it's the same thing with Foligno. It was an overreaction and Foligno went nuts.

So who's in the wrong, here? Are people just losing their **** at Emelin for no reason? Picking on him because he's the guy with the faceplate? Or is Emelin simply not as innocent as some people are trying to make him out to be?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Quote:
As I said back when the Seguin hit happened, it doesn't matter how I define "crossing the line", it matters how the players on the ice define it.

People said it with the Seguin incident. They said Chara overreacted and that Emelin didn't deserve to be fought.

Now it's the same thing with Foligno. It was an overreaction and Foligno went nuts.

So who's in the wrong, here? Are people just losing their **** at Emelin for no reason? Picking on him because he's the guy with the faceplate? Or is Emelin simply not as innocent as some people are trying to make him out to be?
God damn it are you serious? He barely touched him yesterday.

If this kind of plays warranted a beating, Plekanec would have metal plates in his face too.

I guess Chara was right to almost kill Pacioretty too? Since HE thought he crossed the line by giving him a little shove in OT?

The things you read here "Emelin touched a player! HE CROSSED THE LINE AND SHOULD EXPECT TO FIGHT!"

Old
03-20-2013, 12:44 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Quote:

This is the crux of the problem with the arguments supporting self-policing. A system wherein any player who decides an opponent has "crossed the line" has the right to jump him and wail in with a stick or punches, makes every player both judge and executioner. "Yahoo that's old time hockey!" is one way of looking at this, not my way but one way.

But Emelin's case is unique AFAIK. The story we've heard is that he could be blinded if those plates are jarred loose. I'd like to know just how true this is, if it is so serious then the Habs ought to somehow deal with the situation now and not after the fact.

And please look logically at the "if he doesn't want to get jumped and punched in the face he shouldn't crosscheck or shove anybody". Emelin checks hard, maybe he will get jumped for a slash or a push that Pleks and 90% of other players would get away with. And if someone like Pleks does get jumped, well he doesn't have plates in his face. Again Emelin's case is unique, interesting and a bit scary I cringed both times he was jumped.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote