HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Honestly, stars were getting paid big money anyways, but just had lower cap hits. All this means now is that depth players are going to have to take paycuts. The David Jones's of the world will have to take smaller contracts to get jobs on teams with any chance of winning (i.e. one with star players).

I think we're going to see a huge imbalance in salary & cap hits between the big guns and depth players compared to '06-'12.
I'm not sure it will be much different salary wise than it was before, cap hit wise it will be. Look at Brad Richards for example, salary wise he is $12m, but has a cap hit of $6.66m. 1st and 2nd liners will really benefit from the first few years of this (ie Stastny won't be overpaid at his current contract, in fact I would be surprised if he is paid a dime less in a few years).

Now as we wind down the years in the CBA I expect that the 2-4th liners will have their salaries jump up. Simply because all of the 1st line/elite/superstar players will all be locked up so teams are going to overpay for the leftover talent.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm not certain I buy that, while he definitely is a dick on the ice I'm not sure there's much to suggest that he's a bad locker room guy. He and Getzlaf both seem to be enigmatic players with big ups and downs and while they weren't happy with Carlyle at the end, I don't think any organization would mind changing coaches if it wound up in a huge resurgence from their stars including a Hart/Richard win. Most coaches wear out their welcome eventually. Bottom line is that Perry wins everywhere he goes, much like a Toews or Crosby.
I don't know if I buy it myself, and I said it. Just an impression I got from watching him talk in interviews, especially one after Getzlaf signed.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'm not sure it will be much different salary wise than it was before, cap hit wise it will be. Look at Brad Richards for example, salary wise he is $12m, but has a cap hit of $6.66m. 1st and 2nd liners will really benefit from the first few years of this (ie Stastny won't be overpaid at his current contract, in fact I would be surprised if he is paid a dime less in a few years).

Now as we wind down the years in the CBA I expect that the 2-4th liners will have their salaries jump up. Simply because all of the 1st line/elite/superstar players will all be locked up so teams are going to overpay for the leftover talent.
There are more star RFA's coming up for contracts every year though. I think that it will be hard for the NHL to control costs on stars, or reach a point where they've locked up most of the available talent. I do think teams will wind up locking themselves into certain options and then not be able to overpay future RFAs quite as much unless the cap continues to rise to ridiculous proportions - which it might. Honestly, linking the cap to revenues without weighting things to prevent Toronto/Montreal/NYR from driving the cap through the roof means that 27 teams in the NHL will never really have cost certainty.

I agree that salaries will remain similar - look at what guys like Weber/Suter have earned this year. But because those salaries will now be reflected in cap hit, I don't think there's going to be room for teams to have guys like David Jones at 4 million when they have their first line/first pairing/starting goaltender on 7-9 million cap hits.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't know if I buy it myself, and I said it. Just an impression I got from watching him talk in interviews, especially one after Getzlaf signed.
Fair enough, I think there's definitely reason to question his character but not much to go on in terms of how it affects the team. Ultimately I think most teams have a one or two questionable guys (Pat Kane, for instance) but it usually doesn't seem to amount to much.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
There are more star RFA's coming up for contracts every year though. I think that it will be hard for the NHL to control costs on stars, or reach a point where they've locked up most of the available talent. I do think teams will wind up locking themselves into certain options and then not be able to overpay future RFAs quite as much unless the cap continues to rise to ridiculous proportions - which it might. Honestly, linking the cap to revenues without weighting things to prevent Toronto/Montreal/NYR from driving the cap through the roof means that 27 teams in the NHL will never really have cost certainty.

I agree that salaries will remain similar - look at what guys like Weber/Suter have earned this year. But because those salaries will now be reflected in cap hit, I don't think there's going to be room for teams to have guys like David Jones at 4 million when they have their first line/first pairing/starting goaltender on 7-9 million cap hits.
It all depends on how much the cap rises to. If the cap jumps by 6-8m a year there will be room for those sorts of players in ~4 years. If the cap only jumps by 2m a season then there will be issues keeping those players. We will see as time goes on.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It all depends on how much the cap rises to. If the cap jumps by 6-8m a year there will be room for those sorts of players in ~4 years. If the cap only jumps by 2m a season then there will be issues keeping those players. We will see as time goes on.
I feel like teams will fold if it keeps rising that much. Other than the big three most teams aren't making that much money to justify such big jumps.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:59 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Hence the word, "again."
He had 11 goals in 24 games that season, before BB took over. That's on pace for 37.6 goals; he ended up with 37 in 80.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
He had 11 goals in 24 games that season, before BB took over. That's on pace for 37.6 goals; he ended up with 37 in 80.
You're right, he was playing well. For some reason I thought he was struggling along with the rest of the team.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
MikeC

Avs scout were scouting the Habs-Sabres game last night

Old
03-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Avs scout were scouting the Habs-Sabres game last night
To be expected. Habs may have a younger piece of interest but it seems there has been a lot of buffalo chatter. Plenty options to benefit both teams.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
To be expected. Habs may have a younger piece of interest but it seems there has been a lot of buffalo chatter. Plenty options to benefit both teams.
Certainly has. And if the Avs and Sabres do make a deal, you'd have to think the Avs would be the buyers, and it would be for a bigger piece. I'm hoping for Pomminville.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Certainly has. And if the Avs and Sabres do make a deal, you'd have to think the Avs would be the buyers, and it would be for a bigger piece. I'm hoping for Pomminville.
Why? He'd cost an arm and a leg and by the time we'd be ready to contend he'd be in his mid 30's.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:14 AM
kento19
@kento19

Komisarek and boychuk on waivers

Old
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Not sure I see the logic in trading for Pominville. $5.5m salary, unrestricted free agent next summer(2014), already 30 years old, and like Ivan said, likely won't be a key piece or even around when we're ready to try and win(whenever that is). Plus he is their captain. There are several other pieces I'd be more interested in than

Old
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
How many times is that for Boychuk now? 3?

Old
03-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Hope a team claims Boychuk.

Carolina->waivers->Pittsburgh->waivers->Nashville->waivers->?

All in two months.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:22 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Buffalo would be a very interesting trade partner.

The two guys I'd want the most though, Foligno and Ott, probably won't be moved.

A Jones for Stafford swap isn't all that unlikely to be honest, and I'd be okay with it.

Myers could be appealing, since the Avs love to give struggling players with formerly high ceilings a second chance in a change of scenery, but I feel like they'd overpay.

Mike Weber or Mark Pysyk would both be nice pieces coming back that would fit the re-build, assuming we unload one or two of the pilons elsewhere.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Is it sad that I would take Komisarek over more than half our defense right now?

Old
03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Is it sad that I would take Komisarek over more than half our defense right now?
Yes. We have better defensemen in the AHL.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:32 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
to be fair, we have defenseman in the AHL who are better than some of our NHL defensemen.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
kento19
@kento19

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Quote:
College UFA 6-foot-8 D Andrej Sustr will cull list of 20 to 25 interested NHL teams tomorrow and Friday, likely to sign by weekend

Old
03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
hockeyfish

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Sure would be nice to see the Avs actually push to make it happen.

But, they wont.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Quote:
to be fair, we have defenseman in the AHL who are better than some of our NHL defensemen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Yup. All true. Komisarek would be an upgrade over Zanon or O'Byrne, but we should just call up an AHL defenseman. Unfortunately that won't happen because this team WANTS to lose.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:57 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I expect Sustr to go to New York. He isn't ready for the NHL, and likely knows that. He should go to a team that has a record of developing good defensemen and will have a need for the sort of player he can become in 2-3 years. Seems like an obvious fit.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
PAZ

Quote:
I expect Sustr to go to New York. He isn't ready for the NHL, and likely knows that. He should go to a team that has a record of developing good defensemen and will have a need for the sort of player he can become in 2-3 years. Seems like an obvious fit.
Or go to the Avs to get tossed around like a ragdoll by management, destroy all of his confidence, and eat nachos in the press box!

Closed Thread