HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 3-2 in OT

Old
03-20-2013, 10:56 AM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
So we're calling penalties on plays that could have happened now?

Was there a contact to the head of the player? No.
What was the penalty called? High stick on a player.

The refs were wrong, no matter how you look at it. There's nothing that should have been called on that.
Like I said.... not a penalty... but:

If you screamed at the world earlier this year because Colton Orr wasn't penalized for his Knee on knee attempt then you cannot possibly think it's ok for one of our guys to go head hunting. If the league started cracking down on marginal play designed almost purely to injure, whether they connect or not.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:58 AM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
A bit of Zen in an ocean of whine. Thanks for this.

Come on gentlemen, lighten up. Did you expect to go 20-0 for the rest of the season?? We sleepwalked through the first half of the game and still ended up with a point, plus we gained a point on Boston after their loss. We're playing two newborn rookies on regular shifts, meanwhile Prust and Bourque are closer to returning.

We are climbing, not sinking. Let's not lose perspective and become like some of Boston's fans.

YES, the call on Subban may have been off; YES, most of the roster was a disorganized, unmotivated mess. But these games happen. And guess what - they will again! I repeat - lighten up.
great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Well we're now at 13-1-4 since the 0-6 loss to Toronto, not bad...
I said it then and I'll say it again after every game since... thank you, Toronto

No Style Points is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian70 View Post
Maybe that's because you've never played. Subban is right: he should stop whining to the ref or it could very well turn against him. Your higher standards don't change the reality.
Crosby used to be the biggest whiner in the league so give it up.

Your argument is weak. Never played? The world works a certain way and it doesn't mean it's right. That was a horrible call and affected the outcome of the game. Political correctness will stop PK and Therrien from stating it. How is BIAS like that acceptable for a professional of its highest level (refs)? You really want to justify it? Go ahead, but I assume you're the type that would welcome a SWAT team into his house because your little brother mouthed off at a passing cop car.

It's about respect. The refs want respect? Earn it by being professional and making good calls and not getting caught up in the emotion of the game. Its unacceptable for a person whose role is to enforce the parameters of a game to be so easily corruptible.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:42 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I didnt see the first two goals against but any one blaming Carey for the OT goal should refrain from talking about goaltending.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Karl Pilkington

I move to make this the new logo for the Habs Board:

It isn't complaining to stand up with passion when something is wrong. It's messed that as a society - even if this is just a hockey society it extends well beyond it as we LOVE this team - we've gotten so used to unjust things that we don't hold accountable the authorities behind them.

It's not complaining. It's called standing for something. Being "positive" isn't about being happy. It's about being certain. Maybe some of you guys aren't old enough to know, or are so old you've given up on it. Standards matter. Standing for something matters. Criticism against a belief or stand is inevitable, but it doesn't make belief wrong.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Because you are only the ten thousandth non-Habs fan that comes over and whine about the Ole Ole chant and think it's meant as an insult.

ITS NOT
The Ole chant is a taunt song to mock the opponent, it's not a victory song but still taunting is not a good thing either.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:01 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post
It isn't complaining to stand up with passion when something is wrong. It's messed that as a society - even if this is just a hockey society it extends well beyond it as we LOVE this team - we've gotten so used to unjust things that we don't hold accountable the authorities behind them.

It's not complaining. It's called standing for something. Being "positive" isn't about being happy. It's about being certain. Maybe some of you guys aren't old enough to know, or are so old you've given up on it. Standards matter. Standing for something matters. Criticism against a belief or stand is inevitable, but it doesn't make belief wrong.
I understand and agree with you 100%. I used to post practically the same tirade after a loss like tonight. The thing you are missing is that you are watching a private entity in the NHL, and you as a fan can do only one thing to make the NHL stand up and take notice that you are unhappy, and that is stop watching the NHL.

The NHL has set a precedence that its officials can do no wrong. In the NFL officials have been suspended and they recognize errors. The NHL simply doesn't want to go that route. Do you truly believe that the best method to resolve this issues is to bark at the media and say how incompetent the refs are? You would just be digging yourself a deeper grave. I believe the habs did the best thing, shrug it off and move on. I think I can say without a doubt the ref who made the wrong call now knows that it wasn't a high stick and may give the habs the benefit of the doubt (may is a key word). If you have Therrien or Subban exploding to the media about how they stole a point from them, you can rest assured that the ref would (well if I was the ref I would) not appreciate that.

An example I could use is Saturday night I went to watch UFC with my friends. I came home at 2 am and when I entered the driveway, where I rent a spot, it was taken. This isn't the first time it has happened, not the same car however, and I am almost sure it won't be the last. I had to make a decision, do I get all mad, call a tow truck and have him moved or do I take a deep breathe and find parking on the street within a 2 minute walk. I thought about it and I feared that whoever had their car towed wouldn't be happy to see another car parked where they had left their car. Right or wrong doesn't change the fact that person may retaliate on my car. For me the anger and frustration wasn't really worth it. Am I going to worry about it? Nah I just let it slide, spoke with the janitor the next day and asked him to put up signs (we changed janitors and the old janitor had his number on the no parking sign, so he took it down). I never did get my "justice" but in the end it really isn't necessary.

You will live a longer, happier life if you don't things too personal. Yes the ref ****ed up, yes it cost the habs 1 point, that's life, it won't get changed after the fact. Time to move on and get ready for the next game.

Go Habs Go!

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:06 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post

If you screamed at the world earlier this year because Colton Orr wasn't penalized for his Knee on knee attempt then you cannot possibly think it's ok for one of our guys to go head hunting. If the league started cracking down on marginal play designed almost purely to injure, whether they connect or not.
There's a huge difference between trying to get a knee out on Plekanec, and try to hit hard on your blueline. And in both cases, we got ****ed/screwed very hard.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
The Ole chant is a taunt song to mock the opponent, it's not a victory song but still taunting is not a good thing either.
The OLE OLE chant is NOT a taunt song.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Team needs to work on hitting the net.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:28 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Team needs to work on hitting the net.
Agreed, although last night was a season high for missed shots so it's unlikely we'll duplicate that again.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post

I vehemently disagree that trying to knee a guy blatantly is the same as what PK did, which you are labelling as headhunting. An errant high stick to the face (which didn't happen) happens 20 times a game. Hardly headhunting. PK's hit would have been completely legal.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:34 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I didnt see the first two goals against but any one blaming Carey for the OT goal should refrain from talking about goaltending.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:30 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I vehemently disagree that trying to knee a guy blatantly is the same as what PK did, which you are labelling as headhunting. An errant high stick to the face (which didn't happen) happens 20 times a game. Hardly headhunting. PK's hit would have been completely legal.
Take the Homer glasses off for a second and imagine that that was Chara who took a major run at Galchenyuk..... you'd be pretty pissed.

My point is more biased to why bother with the high risk low reward play. If PK had hit him, theres a pretty good chance the guy gets injured... who cares right... The NHL should because if they penalized reckless regardless of outcome there would be less injuries hit.. and less guys running around looking for the big hit... again the object is to stop the player and reverse flow of play... not decapitate.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

I was distressed that the Habs lost in OT to the Sabres in a home game but I was partly consoled by the Bruins' loss to the Jets. I say partly because I was half expecting it (the Jets have been hot lately). The Bruins still have their GIH and the Habs may lose their lead by next week but would still be in the running for the division lead.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:06 PM
hockeyfan2k11

There are some players on this team that seem to fly under the radar when they play poor games...by fans, the media and the coaching staff. It seems that PK and Price are the guys who get the most blame...admittedly they probably get the most props when we do win.

I said this with the White incident and I'll say it with the PK one. I really don't like coaches calling out players in the media. It's tacky. White has become completely useless afraid to fight or even play on the edge anymore. What good did that do?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
icerocket

Habs lost so that means we need to TRADE.EVERYONE.AND.BLOW.THIS.UP

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The OLE OLE chant is NOT a taunt song.
This is the most common misconception. When did people get the idea that its supposed to mock the opponent?

How come no opposing fanbase complains about the na na na goodbye song? That one I can see as a taunt, but ole ole?

European fans must get a real kick out of how uptight we are.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:45 PM
groovejuice

Quote:

It's not complaining. It's called standing for something. Being "positive" isn't about being happy. It's about being certain. Maybe some of you guys aren't old enough to know, or are so old you've given up on it. Standards matter. Standing for som
ething matters. Criticism against a belief or stand is inevitable, but it doesn't make belief wrong.
I admire your words. Seriously. There is nobility there.

However, I can't help but be reminded of my early days with psilocybin.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Carl, your credo reminds me of Barry Goldwater, your proposed logo of je ne sais quoi. Really???

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Flyinghab

We had a terrible first period and for us to get a point was fantastic. God I miss Prust. He brings energy, character and sandpaper that we need night in and night out. Blaming specific players for this loss is laughable but if we must play this game how does Gionta get a pass. He's been brutal all year. I really hope Tinordi can find his nasty side as there is a lot of traffic in front of Price most nights.

Flyinghab is offline   Reply With Quote