HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most balanced NHL team ever?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 11:54 AM
  #1
Sticks and Pucks
Registered User
 
Sticks and Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,426
vCash: 500
Most balanced NHL team ever?

Which team do you think was the most balanced in the NHL? I'm talking about teams such as the 05-06 Buffalo Sabres where there wasn't really that one guy that stood out but everyone could score. Have there been other teams that were just as balanced or even more balanced?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:56 AM
  #2
PhillyBluesFan
Registered User
 
PhillyBluesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
So you mean most balanced offensively? In that case I would go with the 02 Red Wings

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:57 AM
  #3
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!
 
dennilfloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,946
vCash: 500
Late 70s Bruins once had 11 20-goal scorers if I remember well.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:35 PM
  #4
Mad Max
Registered User
 
Mad Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DDO, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
2001 Devils come to mind:


Elias-Arnott-Sykora
Madden-Holik-Mogilny
Brylin-Gomez-McKay
Pandolfo-Nemchinov-Stevenson


The 1st line combined for 96 G/136 A/232 P and +104
The 2nd line combined for 81 G/90 A/171 P and +53
The 3rd line combined for 60 G/98 A/158 P and +27
The 4th line combined for 20 G/52 A/72 P and +25


And then the defense pairings:


Stevens-Rafalski(+76)
Niedermayer-White(+46)
Daneyko-Sutton(+17)

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
  #5
FlamesFanatic12
The Next Owski
 
FlamesFanatic12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 708
vCash: 50
The cup winning Ducks team comes to mind

FlamesFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
  #6
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Which team do you think was the most balanced in the NHL? I'm talking about teams such as the 05-06 Buffalo Sabres where there wasn't really that one guy that stood out but everyone could score. Have there been other teams that were just as balanced or even more balanced?
If you're talking balanced scoring then I'd go with the two goalie-stolen playoffs - the 93 Habs (Roy) and 03 Deviles (Marty)

MTL had 13 players with 10+ goals and nine players with 10+ points in the 20 playoff games.

NJ was also a very balanced team.

But in terms of teams overall, the Isles dynasty (say 81 or 82) were able to win games any way you wanted to play. They had no weakness. Multidimensional to say the least!

They could play very physical, all offense, tight defensively, were dangerous in close games and supremely confident even down a goal in the third on the road.

Tough to win four straight cups and the finals five straight years, the last two playoffs against (arguably) one of the best teams of all time, definitely the best offensive team ever.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:38 AM
  #7
Hawkman
Moderator
Soul Man
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Which team do you think was the most balanced in the NHL? I'm talking about teams such as the 05-06 Buffalo Sabres where there wasn't really that one guy that stood out but everyone could score. Have there been other teams that were just as balanced or even more balanced?
By your definition I think this is the most balanced NHL team ever. There isn't really one guy that stands out and everyone has scored at least 7 points this season. I'm not kidding.

Offense GP G A Pts +/- PIM Hits Bks PPG PPA SHG SHA GW SOG Pct
Totals 60 108 168 -75 413 15 29 2 3 7 768 .078
League Rank T29 T26 T28 T25 4 23 T22 T6 T5 T28 T24 T27
Derick Brassard 27 4 11 15 -5 14 41 3 1 6 0 0 0 50 .080
Vinny Prospal 29 9 6 15 -1 20 26 8 4 1 0 0 2 57 .158
Fedor Tyutin 29 1 13 14 -5 20 41 41 0 4 0 1 0 37 .027
Mark Letestu 27 6 8 14 1 6 26 6 1 2 1 0 0 47 .128
Nick Foligno 29 3 10 13 1 22 56 16 1 2 0 0 0 39 .077
Jack Johnson 25 4 8 12 -9 6 31 52 3 3 0 0 0 55 .073
R.J. Umberger 29 5 5 10 -1 12 30 27 1 3 0 0 0 59 .085
Derek Dorsett 24 3 6 9 -11 53 55 10 0 0 0 0 0 38 .079
Brandon Dubinsky 18 1 8 9 -4 39 35 9 0 3 0 1 0 30 .033
James Wisniewski 15 3 6 9 -2 2 25 17 3 1 0 1 0 30 .100
Artem Anisimov 21 6 2 8 -6 8 11 14 1 0 0 0 2 49 .122
Ryan Johansen 21 1 6 7 -9 8 26 10 0 1 0 0 0 46 .022
Matt Calvert 26 4 3 7 -13 26 31 14 0 0 1 0 1 38 .105

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:47 PM
  #8
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
By your definition I think this is the most balanced NHL team ever. There isn't really one guy that stands out and everyone has scored at least 7 points this season. I'm not kidding.
Woo-hoo, I'm witnessing history!

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:43 PM
  #9
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,302
vCash: 1210
'03 Devils maybe:

Elias: 57
Langenbrunner: 55
Gomez: 55
Freisen: 51
Nieuwendyk: 45
Madden: 41
Rafalski: 40
Niedermayer: 35
Gionta: 25 (58 GP)

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
  #10
Johnny Engine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanatic12 View Post
The cup winning Ducks team comes to mind
You mean the team that had 3 defensmen playing nearly 30 minutes, one 20 minute guy and a couple of mannequins used to fill out the lineup card?

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:51 PM
  #11
fireworks
Registered User
 
fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bobcaygeon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,131
vCash: 500
1977-78 Boston Bruins


11 - 20 goal scorers

Cashman - 24 Goals
Jonathon - 27 Goals
Marcotte - 20 Goals
McNab - 41 Goals
Middleton - 25 Goals
Miller - 20 Goals
O'Reilly - 29 Goals
Park - 22 Goals
Ratelle - 25 Goals
Schmautz - 27 Goals
Sheppard - 23 Goals


Wensik had 16 Goals!

Obviously not the best team ever,but the most balanced (offensively)?

fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:33 PM
  #12
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
So you mean most balanced offensively? In that case I would go with the 02 Red Wings
That was my first thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
If you're talking balanced scoring then I'd go with the two goalie-stolen playoffs - the 93 Habs (Roy)
Roy was great in the 1993 playoffs.

But they were not "goalie-stolen". Montreal finished 3rd in their division, but they were 6th overall (102 points). And outside of their first-round series against an exceedingly inexperienced Quebec team (4th overall, 2nd in the division with 104 points), the Canadiens had home ice for every series. 119-point Pittsburgh lost in round two. 109-point Boston was out in round one. 106-point Chicago was out in round one. 103-point Detroit was out in round one. 101-point Vancouver was out in round two. 97-point Calgary was out in round one, and 93-point Washington was out in round one. The final four were 102-point Montreal, 99-point Toronto, 88-point Los Angeles, and the 87-point Islanders. Do you pick Montreal for the Cup at that point? It's pretty easy to. They were tied with Detroit for seventh in goals against; and of equal/better teams in that department, all went out in the first two rounds except for the Leafs. They were also ninth in goals for, with the Islanders and Kings having survived past round two. The Kings scored twelve more but had a negative goal differential in the regular season, the Islanders only scored nine more and gave up seventeen more, and Toronto scored 38 fewer goals while giving up 39 fewer, but was running with a rookie goalie and had already played 14 games in the first two rounds. Montreal's 14th game was a 4-1 loss against New York as the Islanders managed to avoid being swept.

Unless you're saying that Roy stole it by being a better and more experienced netminder than Potvin, and thus allowing his team to not have to play seven games in three consecutive series.

But that would mean most Cups are "goalie-stolen", as you put it.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:40 AM
  #13
quoipourquoi
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
I wouldn't call the 1993 Canadiens balanced, especially in the playoffs when Damphousse had a hand on 35% of all of their goals. The most balanced Montreal team to go deep in that era was 1989 (9 players with 10+ playoff points - and the rest of the regular playoff roster included names like Gainey, Ludwig, Carbonneau, Lemieux, Corson, Keane, Desjardins). I can't imagine they would be among the most balanced to ever play, however, since it was overwhelmingly apparent that two players in particular were the stars of the team.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Roy was great in the 1993 playoffs.

But they were not "goalie-stolen". Montreal finished 3rd in their division, but they were 6th overall (102 points). And outside of their first-round series against an exceedingly inexperienced Quebec team (4th overall, 2nd in the division with 104 points), the Canadiens had home ice for every series. 119-point Pittsburgh lost in round two. 109-point Boston was out in round one. 106-point Chicago was out in round one. 103-point Detroit was out in round one. 101-point Vancouver was out in round two. 97-point Calgary was out in round one, and 93-point Washington was out in round one. The final four were 102-point Montreal, 99-point Toronto, 88-point Los Angeles, and the 87-point Islanders. Do you pick Montreal for the Cup at that point? It's pretty easy to. They were tied with Detroit for seventh in goals against; and of equal/better teams in that department, all went out in the first two rounds except for the Leafs. They were also ninth in goals for, with the Islanders and Kings having survived past round two. The Kings scored twelve more but had a negative goal differential in the regular season, the Islanders only scored nine more and gave up seventeen more, and Toronto scored 38 fewer goals while giving up 39 fewer, but was running with a rookie goalie and had already played 14 games in the first two rounds. Montreal's 14th game was a 4-1 loss against New York as the Islanders managed to avoid being swept.

Unless you're saying that Roy stole it by being a better and more experienced netminder than Potvin, and thus allowing his team to not have to play seven games in three consecutive series.

But that would mean most Cups are "goalie-stolen", as you put it.
Team GF, 1993
Western Conference

1. Detroit
2. Vancouver
3. Los Angeles (11.8% shooting)
4. Calgary
5. Winnipeg
Eastern Conference
1. Pittsburgh
2. Quebec (13.9% shooting)
3. Buffalo (12.5% shooting)
4. New York (12.9% shooting)

5. Boston

Roy's Save Percentage
vs. Quebec (.936; 32.3 SA)
vs. Buffalo (.915; 32.4 SA)
vs. New York (.932; 26.0 SA)
vs. Los Angeles (.929; 29.5 SA)

Goals-Per-Game
MTL (Season): 3.86
MTL (Playoffs): 3.02

quoipourquoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:19 AM
  #14
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 500
Good question. I think I have to admit the 1999-2000 New Jersey Devils were one of the most-balanced teams I've ever seen. An elite top line (Elias-Arnott-Sykora), solid second line scoring from Mogilny and Gomez, an elite shutdown center in Bobby Holik, elite PK forwards in John Madden and Jay Pandolfo, a defense that sported Niedermayer, Souray, Rafalski, Stevens, and Daneyko, and of course, Martin Brodeur. Hell, even their 4th line guys like Sergei Brylin were no slouches. Just no real weaknesses on that squad. On paper that team the following season should've wiped the floor with every other team in the league, including the Avalanche. For obvious reasons, I'm glad they didn't.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:20 AM
  #15
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
I would say the Rangers from 99-2004. Since nobody could score, they didn't rely on just ONE guy!!!

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
  #16
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,012
vCash: 500
In particular sense, many bad teams fit here. I.e. 1996 Panthers had like 10 guys with more than 10 goals.
Some Devils and Wings teams are up there in the discussion.
Recently Bruins and Hawks in thier SC seasons were quite balanced.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
  #18
JFA87-66-99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,312
vCash: 500
How about 1975 Buffalo I think. How many 20 goal scorers?

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
  #19
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 500
80's Oilers.

Top end offense of 5x 50 goal scorers (Including the greatest player ever, with a 70 goal scoring Euro)
Agitator (Tikkannen)
Top end shut down line lead by MacTavish
Enforcer on forward - Semenko
Enforcer on Defense - McSorely

Record breaking scoring Dman - Coffey
7x All Star in Lowe (Who was a SHUT DOWN Stay at home).
Huddy and Beukeboom were considered top end shut down stalwarts.
Muni and Steve Smith were solid shutdowns who rounded out the Defense

Hall of Fame goalie in Fuhr.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:45 AM
  #20
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,996
vCash: 500
Anyone have some data on this? Would be interesting to see this measured in terms of lowest standard deviation across a team (or splitting forwards and defensemen) in terms of points/goals/etc.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:39 AM
  #21
SealsFan
Registered User
 
SealsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
One of my favorite team performances, the 74-75 Penguins - top 9 forwards with from 23 to 43 goals

Jean Pronovost - 43
Rick Kehoe - 32
Vic Hadfield - 31
Pierre Larouche - 31
J Bob Kelly - 27
Lowell MacDonald - 27
Chuck Arnason - 26
Syl Apps - 24
Ron Schock - 23

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
  #22
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Anyone have some data on this? Would be interesting to see this measured in terms of lowest standard deviation across a team (or splitting forwards and defensemen) in terms of points/goals/etc.
No idea, but I would be willing to bet that the teams with the lowest standard devs would be teams like the 99-2004 Rangers, rather than teams that were really good or championship teams. That is, if you did the study for ALL teams.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:56 PM
  #23
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
No idea, but I would be willing to bet that the teams with the lowest standard devs would be teams like the 99-2004 Rangers, rather than teams that were really good or championship teams. That is, if you did the study for ALL teams.
Wouldn't expansion teams win this hands down? I mean aren't they basically a whole bunch of 3rd liners?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.