HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2006-2007 Ranger Lines, Include PP and PK

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2006, 01:33 PM
  #76
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest
 
BigCanada77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr__1994 View Post
Isn't that what Hollweg is for?
No, thats what the entire fourth line is for. Plus, no, Hollweg didn't penalty kill even close to how much Orts did, I dont even think Hollweg played the PK at all (I could be wrong). Hollweg may be the only player who will drop the gloves (however, Shanny has been known to rumble in the past, and I dont know about Hall), but that isn't the same as being an energy player or a PKer.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
  #77
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest
 
BigCanada77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Then there certainly is a need for Hossa!
Haha, good call.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:38 PM
  #78
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
No, thats what the entire fourth line is for. Plus, no, Hollweg didn't penalty kill even close to how much Orts did, I dont even think Hollweg played the PK at all (I could be wrong). Hollweg may be the only player who will drop the gloves (however, Shanny has been known to rumble in the past, and I dont know about Hall), but that isn't the same as being an energy player or a PKer.
Hall did pretty well vs Shanny http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=search_videos

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:47 PM
  #79
nyr__1994
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central Jerz
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
No, thats what the entire fourth line is for. Plus, no, Hollweg didn't penalty kill even close to how much Orts did, I dont even think Hollweg played the PK at all (I could be wrong). Hollweg may be the only player who will drop the gloves (however, Shanny has been known to rumble in the past, and I dont know about Hall), but that isn't the same as being an energy player or a PKer.
Without Orts you have a top PK pair of Betts and Ward, with any two of the following for the second pair: Hall, Immonen, Hossa, Cullen......

And don't say that Immonen can't kill penalties, who would have thought before last season started that Dominic Moore would have been our best PKer?

nyr__1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:49 PM
  #80
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr__1994 View Post
Hossa is going to surprise most of the people on this board this year with a (min) 25 goal season.
I presume that you can list some kind of indication of how you are coming up with such an assertion. Otherwise, I can say that Betts & Ward have just as good of a chance of hitting those numbers.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:52 PM
  #81
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest
 
BigCanada77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr__1994 View Post
Without Orts you have a top PK pair of Betts and Ward, with any two of the following for the second pair: Hall, Immonen, Hossa, Cullen......

And don't say that Immonen can't kill penalties, who would have thought before last season started that Dominic Moore would have been our best PKer?
No one would have thought that Moore would've been the best, because he wasn't!! Jed Ortmeyer was and still is our best Penalty Killer. Hands Down. There's not much anyone here can say to prove otherwise, except there is a strong case for Ward. And I never mentioned Immo.

My PK forwards:
1- Ortmeyer-Cullen
2- Ward-Straka

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:54 PM
  #82
nyr__1994
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central Jerz
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I presume that you can list some kind of indication of how you are coming up with such an assertion. Otherwise, I can say that Betts & Ward have just as good of a chance of hitting those numbers.
Not really, jsut a feeling.....Power forwards take time to develop, not that Hossa is a power forward. He has the skill set, just hasn't put it all together yet. Who would have said Prucha was going to score 30 last year before the season started, h e double hockey stick, who would have thought he would even make the team, not too many. He forced his way into the line-up and made the most of it. There are breakout players every year.

nyr__1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
  #83
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr__1994 View Post
There are breakout players every year.
Sure there are, but more often than not, a leopard does not change his spots. There are reasons why the Habs unloaded him for Garth Murray. There are reasons why Hossa scored about once a month. Prucha displayed more of a scoring acument in preseason than Hossa has in his entire career.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
  #84
nyr__1994
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central Jerz
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Sure there are, but more often than not, a leopard does not change his spots.

Good Point, but there is also a reason Hossa was a first round pick. There is talent there. But Daigle was a #1 overall pick and look how he turned out......


Last edited by nyr__1994: 08-03-2006 at 02:18 PM. Reason: content
nyr__1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
  #85
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
No one would have thought that Moore would've been the best, because he wasn't!! Jed Ortmeyer was and still is our best Penalty Killer. Hands Down. There's not much anyone here can say to prove otherwise, except there is a strong case for Ward. And I never mentioned Immo.

My PK forwards:
1- Ortmeyer-Cullen
2- Ward-Straka
Actually, I thought Ward was our BEST PK. Orts was damn good and was our most NOTICABLE guy because of all the shot blocking, but I thought Ward was the most effective at disrupting/defending the opposing PP.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
  #86
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,247
vCash: 500
nyr...

I personally am not ready to pencil-in Hossa right now. Nothing really against him, but I think there may be better options, initially. You'd also have a hard time convincing me that Ward's ice time should be cut to that of a fourth liner.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 02:28 PM
  #87
nyr__1994
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central Jerz
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I personally am not ready to pencil-in Hossa right now. Nothing really against him, but I think there may be better options, initially. You'd also have a hard time convincing me that Ward's ice time should be cut to that of a fourth liner.

I completely agree where you are coming from. What I see right now is competition for a few spots that are going to have to be earned. Yes, Prucha is coming off a 30 goal rookie campaign. But what IF he sat around all off-season and reports to camp out of shape? (Not saying he will) Does he still deserve that 2nd line spot? Immonen may have a bad camp and we will find Ward centering the 3rd line or something like that.

I guess the bottom line is there is legitimate competition for playing time this year, and people differ on who they think will win those battles. Is that such a bad thing to be discussing?

nyr__1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:50 PM
  #88
barnaby63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Cullen-Shanahan
Dawes-Immonen-Ward
Hall-Betts/Helminen-Ortmeyer

Malik-Rozsival
Tyutin-Rachunek
Kasparaitis-Ward


Henrik Lundqvist
Kevin Weekes


PK 1:
C. Blair Betts/Dwight Helminen
W. Jed Ortmeyer
D. Darius Kasparaitis
D. Aaron Ward


PK 2:
C. Jarkko Immonen
W. Jason Ward
D. Marek Malik
D. Michael Rozsival


PP 1:
C. Petr Prucha
W. Jaromir Jagr
W. Brendan Shanahan
D. Matt Cullen
D. Karel Rachunek

PP 2:
C. Michael Nylander
W. Adam Hall
W. Nigel Dawes
D. Fedor Tyutin
D. Martin Straka

barnaby63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:42 PM
  #89
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,247
vCash: 500
BigCanada..

how 'bout Betts/Ward as a PK pair - like last season? I'd use Straka sparingly on the PK, if possible.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:02 PM
  #90
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest
 
BigCanada77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
how 'bout Betts/Ward as a PK pair - like last season? I'd use Straka sparingly on the PK, if possible.
Yea, I was thinking about that and I probably would go with Betts over Straka. What do you think about Ortmeyer-Cullen? That seems pretty darn good to me.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:32 PM
  #91
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,247
vCash: 500
I don't know much about...

Cullen's PK ability. I really don't know much about Cullen in general. He never stood out in the games I watched, so it's really tough to judge. Seems to be a logical pair, however, unless you want a righty and a lefty forward out there. Hall will kill some penalties too.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 09:47 PM
  #92
BlackRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LaGrange, Ga
Country: Barbados
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
I'm going to forecast...
Starting line-up (by end of season):

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Cullen-Shanahan
Dawes-Immonen-Ward/Jagr (double shifting will occur for #68)
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer/Jagr

ex: Hall,Orr

the 6 starters
Kaspar-Tyutin
Ward-Ozzy
Malik-Rachunek

ex: Baranka

Lundqvist
Weekes

PP 1:
Shanahan-Nylander/Prucha-Jagr
Straka-Rachunek/Ozzy

PP2:
Prucha/Dawes-Ward/Nylander-Jagr
Cullen-Ozzy/Tyutin

PK1:
Betts-Ward/Orts
Malik-Ward

PK2:
Cullen/Ward-Orts/Hollweg
Kaspar-Tyutin

Roz <-->3rd, Hossa <--> 5th, 2nd and 3rd to move up in 2nd
We just have to wait abd see. Got to like the versatility.


Last edited by BlackRanger: 08-14-2006 at 10:00 PM.
BlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 03:36 PM
  #93
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Ola's lineup!

1st. Prucha-Nylander-Jagr//Prucha would be forced to take more responsibility all over the ice if he is gonna play regular on the top line. I've seen him do just that allot in Europe, still Petr better not end up deep in his own end too much, he is just too light there.
2nd. Straka-Dubinsky-Shanahan//I think this is a perfect enviorment for Dubinsky. Straka is good on the backcheck and Shanahan is a strong player in his own end so defense wouldn't be a big problem. Shanahan is still a great finnisher, but also a player with allot of flaws, from my perspective its really important to play him with either Nylander& Jagr or Straka. I also belive that this is a legit 2nd line, Shanahan and Dubinsky can play a gritty game, especially Dubinsky will feel more comfortable with Shanny on his line. With Straka on that line they are a threat on the rush, they are a threat when circling down low ect.
3rd. Dawes-Cullen-Ward//I think this should be the enviorment for Nigel Dawes to start his pro career. Dawes have improved his game away from the puck allot last season in the AHL, especially in the PO's where he played quit gritty. I belive this trio would give us a good enough 3rd line to establish this org even further as a legitimate strong team, we saw how important it where with depth of speed through the lines in the PO's last season. No 3rd lineers in the league are able to score on a regular basis, however I would expect this line to "come through" on quit allot of occasions for us.
4th Hollweg-Betts-Ortmayer//When nothing is working you need a line like this, Nylander and Straka got allot of assists on goals by Jaromir Jagr last season. Though the question is how many of thoose guys like Betts/Ward/Ortmayer should have had because they changed the momentum a shift earlier!
Hall
Hossa


General comment on the lines: I want Shanahan to play with either Nylander/Jagr or Straka. I want a 2nd line that can play a in your face kind of offensive game, we need a 2nd line that can be more of a physical prescense. I want to have a 3rd line that can play a more offensive role then our 3rd line did last year, mainly to save Jagr more. I would have guys like Betts, Ward and Ortmayer -- no matter what -- because of their hard work and special team play. I think Dubinsky and Dawes will be ready, and better then thoose I left out of the lineup. Dubinsky and Dawes gives us allot more potential to be a complete team then thoose who I left out (Hall, Immonen and Hossa) ever would. I am convinced Dawes could work in the role I have him in, and I have a feeling Dubinsky really will show up in camp.

Malik-Rozival
Kaspar-Tyutin
Ward-Rachunek

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 04:36 PM
  #94
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,247
vCash: 500
Ola...

I do like your lineups, but my guess would be that guys like Dawes and Dubinsky are sent down to Hartford, at least to start the season, just because they can go to Hartford and guys like Hall, and perhaps even Immonen, will get a chance to show what they have.

I disagree with having Shanny with Nylander/Jagr only because I think Shanny needs to play on another line to create more balance. I think Shanny's on a different level than Cullen and Prucha and can elevate their respective game (if on the same line, that is, which I think at a minimum Cullen starts with Shanny).

I do agree fully about the third line - while it should be physical and defensively minded, the team needs more scoring from it (not talking huge leaps as the second line should score more than last season's second line).

Hard to argue the defense pairings. There's six guys signed, six spots, and two pairs played together last season with success. It would be really interesting to see something different than that.

I agree fully about the fourth line too (and thought that was a value that Moore actually brought). You know what kind of energy they'd bring, and while they didn't score, they did their job 9 times out of 10.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.