HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 11:16 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

vCash: 500
I said we need to go 3-1 on this homestand but 2-0-2 is just as good

the key is beating SJ tomorrow..they're spiraling down and stink something fierce on the road...plus I hope the Oil remember the beatdown they gave us in the home opener

getting a point saturday against the Blues and this homestand is a great one IMO

heck, if CBJ can go 7-0-4 in their last 11, why on the Oilers?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Too bad the Nucks are winning right now. But does anyone really think they're going to miss the playoffs?

I know everyone's close except for Chicago and Anaheim but the locks imo are:

Chicago
Anaheim
Vancouver
Los Angeles

I just don't see those team being on the outside when all is said and done. Right now Minnesota is playing well too and Detroit's doing okay.

Nashville, Phoenix, Dallas, Colorado, and Calgary are on the downward trend, while Columbus is really hot right now. If things keep going this way and we continue playing well (big if) we could sneak into 7th or 8th.

Just hoping I guess.
Other than this game and an easy night against the Preds Nucks have been in a lot of trouble. Not playing well in any facet of their game. One of the worst PP's in the league and that usually being bread and butter. Theres simply nothing the Canucks do well and after the sEdins a very ordinary and beatable lineup.

That boat has sailed. Nucks fans can look back at what never was and I guess was never meant to be.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Too bad the Nucks are winning right now. But does anyone really think they're going to miss the playoffs?

I know everyone's close except for Chicago and Anaheim but the locks imo are:

Chicago
Anaheim
Vancouver
Los Angeles

I just don't see those team being on the outside when all is said and done. Right now Minnesota is playing well too and Detroit's doing okay.

Nashville, Phoenix, Dallas, Colorado, and Calgary are on the downward trend, while Columbus is really hot right now. If things keep going this way and we continue playing well (big if) we could sneak into 7th or 8th.

Just hoping I guess.
I think Van is going to make the playoffs, but I don't think they're a lock to win the division.

CHI
ANA
LA
DET
STL

I believe all those teams are pretty good bets to make it. The rest is up in the air.

Oil win and they're in!

Old
03-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Other than this game and an easy night against the Preds Nucks have been in a lot of trouble. Not playing well in any facet of their game. One of the worst PP's in the league and that usually being bread and butter. Theres simply nothing the Canucks do well and after the sEdins a very ordinary and beatable lineup.

That boat has sailed. Nucks fans can look back at what never was and I guess was never meant to be.
they have a veteran lineup that knows its system inside and out, a legitamite first line of scorers, depth and size on a mobile defense, and at least one starting goalie. or am I wrong again?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

@ Daryl Katz Fan Club

1. they have a veteran lineup that knows its system inside and out:

But for some reason are incapable playing that system for 60 mins lately.

2. a legitamite first line of scorers

legitimate 2/3's of first line scorers, one of which has been in a huge slump until scoring tonight

3. depth and size on a mobile defense, and at least one starting goalie

Vancouver has 82 goals against as of now, Edmonton has 81

Schneider save % 26th at .910, Dubnyk is 11th at .919

or am I wrong again?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I think Van is going to make the playoffs, but I don't think they're a lock to win the division.

CHI
ANA
LA
DET
STL

I believe all those teams are pretty good bets to make it. The rest is up in the air.

Oil win and they're in!
I don't think they're a lock to win the division either. They make it in somewhere though imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

They haven't been playing well but I think they find a way in somehow. Too experienced and skilled not to. I could see them just squeaking in or even winning the division.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I don't think they're a lock to win the division either. They make it in somewhere though imo.

They haven't been playing well but I think they find a way in somehow. Too experienced and skilled not to. I could see them just squeaking in or even winning the division.
I don't see the depth, not at all. Nucks have become a one sister trick pony. Inconsequential team that gets worse in the playoffs. With the Sedins zenith now spent.

The Nucks ride is over. Done. They probably sneak in for a couple of years and don't do anything.

The ride is over for Nucks fans. No gravy.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Phx lost , so here is skinny for tomorrow night . We beat SJ outright we are in 9th at the very worst , Colorado wins outright over Dallas we are 8th and in control . No the bad news we lose we drop to 13th in percentage behind SJ PHX DAl Columbus Calgary. Biggest game of the season by far HUGE.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:18 AM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Phx lost , so here is skinny for tomorrow night . We beat SJ outright we are in 9th at the very worst , Colorado wins outright over Dallas we are 8th and in control . No the bad news we lose we drop to 13th in percentage behind SJ PHX DAl Columbus Calgary. Biggest game of the season by far HUGE.
its March 19th and Oil fans are scoreboard watching and the Oilers are playing HUGE games...thats a start

if the Oilers are still playing HUGE games in April, I'll be very excited

Old
03-20-2013, 12:18 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
And something that just cannot be stressed enough...

is how cool it is to even HAVE a such a huge game with 20 left to go...shortened season or not!

Old
03-20-2013, 01:22 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Columbus went from the basement to a playoff contender in 10 games. They were way behind. Now they are looking like a team that will make it. We have better odds than the teams below us, and only 2 more wins than the 3 teams ahead of us (not counting OT losses) to make the playoffs. Barring a miracle run, this can still happen. It won't be easy, but its certainly realistic.
Even though CBJ won tonight and are "tied" for 8th, everybody around them has 1 or 2 games in hand, which means they will be behind again once everybody catches up in games played, and even though they have given themselves a chance, its slim to none for them. And thats with them going 7-0-4 in their last 11.

And lets not kid ourselves, there is only 1 spot up for grabs, the rest arent within reach, detroit is the next closest and they are 5 points up on us, so if we dont beat SJ tomorrow, it will come down to dallas and sj imo. Phx and CBJ still need a bunch of help, and so do we (as we saw tonight and pretty much every night going forward, we are all scoreboard watching, which means we need help EVERY night, which is what i was trying to say earlier). A lot of things have to go our way for us to get in....A LOT. Its not as easy as you guys are trying to make it out to be.

Anyways, i'm done arguing about this, we obviously agree to disagree.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Even though CBJ won tonight and are "tied" for 8th, everybody around them has 1 or 2 games in hand, which means they will be behind again once everybody catches up in games played, and even though they have given themselves a chance, its slim to none for them. And thats with them going 7-0-4 in their last 11.

And lets not kid ourselves, there is only 1 spot up for grabs, the rest arent within reach, detroit is the next closest and they are 5 points up on us, so if we dont beat SJ tomorrow, it will come down to dallas and sj imo. Phx and CBJ still need a bunch of help, and so do we (as we saw tonight and pretty much every night going forward, we are all scoreboard watching, which means we need help EVERY night, which is what i was trying to say earlier). A lot of things have to go our way for us to get in....A LOT. Its not as easy as you guys are trying to make it out to be.

Anyways, i'm done arguing about this, we obviously agree to disagree.
My point earlier in the thread was that if the Oilers win tomorrow, they won't need help down the stretch. They'll have caught up and it will simply come down to who has the best record the last 20 games or so. When you say the Oilers will need help, that implies that they'll not only have to win more games than everyone else, but that other teams will also have to lose an irregular number of games.

If the Oilers win tomorrow, their fate is completely in their own hands, they no longer need to rely on teams to lose to make up ground.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
My point earlier in the thread was that if the Oilers win tomorrow, they won't need help down the stretch. They'll have caught up and it will simply come down to who has the best record the last 20 games or so. When you say the Oilers will need help, that implies that they'll not only have to win more games than everyone else, but that other teams will also have to lose an irregular number of games.

If the Oilers win tomorrow, their fate is completely in their own hands, they no longer need to rely on teams to lose to make up ground.
I think its great that we are even having these debates this time of year. Im very nervous about tomorrows game, hope the coaches and players know what a win does for them against the Sharks.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:58 AM
xsoil

The Oil have to go 12-6-2 in their last 20 games for a 92.6% chance of making the playoffs. If it drops to 11-8-1 their chances drop to 28%. So ya,,,,,, all the remaining games are extremely important.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html

Old
03-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Hoogaar23

Why is everyone talking about if we win this one game we will be "in control of our own destiny" and stuff like that right now? Of course we are in control of our own destiny with 20 games to go. Every single team in the NHL, including Florida is still in control of their own destiny. Win out and you're in.

Anyway - gigantic game tonight. It's fun watching games that still matter in March, I've missed it.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
gpearson1968

Up to 19.8% to get in the playoffs as of right now.

Interesting stats :

11-8-1 = 26 %
11-7-2 = 54 %
11-6-3 = 77 %

New fav site on Internet, btw.

Cheers,
gpearson1968

Old
03-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@ Daryl Katz Fan Club

1. they have a veteran lineup that knows its system inside and out:

But for some reason are incapable playing that system for 60 mins lately.

2. a legitamite first line of scorers

legitimate 2/3's of first line scorers, one of which has been in a huge slump until scoring tonight

3. depth and size on a mobile defense, and at least one starting goalie

Vancouver has 82 goals against as of now, Edmonton has 81

Schneider save % 26th at .910, Dubnyk is 11th at .919

or am I wrong again?
uh, who cares if they're in a slump? doesn't mean they suck

People on here are talking about waiting 5 years for these kids to do anything, I'm sure vancouver can wait 5 weeks to break out of a slump

Old
03-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Wow. 6% hike to make the playoffs if we win today.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
LoPan

vCash: 200
Excited for hockey in March is a sweet feeling. I don't give an eff about the draft, all I want is playoffs. Our kids need some playoff xp.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Why is everyone talking about if we win this one game we will be "in control of our own destiny" and stuff like that right now? Of course we are in control of our own destiny with 20 games to go. Every single team in the NHL, including Florida is still in control of their own destiny. Win out and you're in.

Anyway - gigantic game tonight. It's fun watching games that still matter in March, I've missed it.
I was thinking exactly this. But I'm not understanding this. Why is tonight a gigantic game, by this reference point weren't the whole weeks games gigantic games?

Its going to take a little effort from this team to get me excited about any alleged playoff push.
It is nice that the games mean something.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:29 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
How do you come up with these numbers?

Old
03-20-2013, 01:34 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
There's a website that does event-by-event tracking of team percentages for making the playoffs with projections based on the variable outcomes

Old
03-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post

Old
03-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
**** thats it? are we ever going to make it to 40%

Old
03-20-2013, 02:39 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
**** thats it? are we ever going to make it to 40%
As long as we are at 100% on the very last day of the regular season, I don't care.

Closed Thread