HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 10:37 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I hope we fall to 30th in the first round
Yeah the consolation prize is a 25er as I see it.Lazar,Hartman,Compher,Horvat,Klimchuk, Zykov,Bowey,Mueller,Dauphin,Theodore or Hurley aren't bad either,win/win for the Habs.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
Moving up in the draft?

Having 2 extra 2nd round picks this year is good, very good. But what intrigues me the most is the potential to deal some of our picks to move up in the 1st round.

What do you guys think the chances are of Montreal trading to get a top 10 pick?

Old
03-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

This is exactly what i'm hoping the Habs do. Possibly trading our 1 with 2 2nd rounders and moving up

Keep 1 2nd and our 2 3rds

Old
03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Zero chance to get a top 10 pick with where our first will be unless you want to trade a good young player.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Zero chance to get a top 10 pick with where our first will be unless you want to trade a good young player.
Lets say Mtl gets the 25th pick. Calgary gets 3rd, and Nashville gets 7th.

You don't think the team with the 10th pick would trade it for 25th, 33rd, and 37th overall?

Also I wouldn't be opposed to adding Beaulieu into the mix if it meant top 5.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post

You don't think the team with the 10th pick would trade it for 25th, 33rd, and 37th overall?

It all depends of the trading partner I guess and what they're organizational need is. Is that team aiming for a player in particular and won't give up that pick or they don't care and want more prospects and their scouts is comfortable for example with a player that's in the mid 20's ranked and select him with the Habs 1st for example.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:11 PM
shutehinside

Pull what the islanders did last year and offer all our picks for a top 3 pick.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Pull what the islanders did last year and offer all our picks for a top 3 pick.
Not sure if serious......but I might do it for Drouin

Old
03-20-2013, 12:14 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
The way I understood is this draft has a lot of great players. Wouldn't our odds be better off taking 3 players between 25-40 (if we, the preds and Calgary all finish in this range)?

I doubt we get into the top 10, but I still think we are better off using our picks to grab as many players as possible

Old
03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
The way I understood is this draft has a lot of great players. Wouldn't our odds be better off taking 3 players between 25-40 (if we, the preds and Calgary all finish in this range)?

I doubt we get into the top 10, but I still think we are better off using our picks to grab as many players as possible
This is true, but the talent at the top end of this draft is amazing. We already have great depth I would love to see another potential superstar along with galchenyuk

Old
03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Fozz

I don't see it. The most we should expect is a move up of 4-6 spots for one of our 2nd rounders.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:59 PM
TinordiandSubban

Trading a second to move up into early 20s is almost a must.

Horvat, Hartman, Lazar, Erne, Wennberg, Mantha, Rychel and Gauthier will be gone by 23-24 and then its into long-shot territory.

I worked out a mock the other day, Habs picked larger projects De la Rose, Burakowksy and Buchnevich, passing on smaller projects Petan and Lehkonen.

Pretty good haul but one of the first tier and one of the second would be better

Old
03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I like Timmins having tons of picks to work his magic with, this can allow him to take some higher risk/higher reward players in the second and third rounds.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:03 PM
S Bah

If Bergevin signed a couple of Free Agents like DeKeyser and Sustr/Boivin,then I might contemplate trying to move up to draft a key player using picks and a couple of prospects.Sustr would alleviate finding another big body RD and DeKeyser would be able to play on the Habs right away.Say LeBlanc and Beaulieu our 1st and a 2nd to move into the 10-15 draft position,probably wouldn't get much higher pick than that. Boivin could replace Beaulieu or possibly Diaz.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:17 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
I like Timmins having tons of picks to work his magic with, this can allow him to take some higher risk/higher reward players in the second and third rounds.
At the same time, Timmins might suggest the play needed for Montreal is in a pick they need to trade for. That's how he got Tinordi.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:40 PM
S Bah

I believe the GM's now have the Salary Cap to deal with and it handcuffs them in regards to the amount of veteran players they can keep.So the better their drafting, becomes paramount to long term success.Having young players that can learn and adapt quickly to mix with the veterans and say the Price,Subbans that are about to leave the RFA and receive bigger contracts.For the successful GM's of the future, Free Agents from college can be a boon to teams like the Habs that are great judges of talent and can foresee the future worth of such players.Hab fans can take solace with the likes of Dudley & Timmins joining Bergevin(in the top one% of prognosticators)to accomplish the job for the Montreal Canadiens.The future is bright for us IMHO.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Having 2 extra 2nd round picks this year is good, very good. But what intrigues me the most is the potential to deal some of our picks to move up in the 1st round.

What do you guys think the chances are of Montreal trading to get a top 10 pick?
If we deal both extra 2nd rounders we move up say for example, from 25th to 16th. We are not going to get that much better of a player. Might as well keep the 2 extra picks, one of those extra picks could be another PK.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:

I would only if the player we're getting is drouin or mackinnon....especially drouin.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
KadoCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
If we deal both extra 2nd rounders we move up say for example, from 25th to 16th. We are not going to get that much better of a player. Might as well keep the 2 extra picks, one of those extra picks could be another PK.
Two 2nds for 9 spots would be very low valuation. More Likely it would be a 2nd and 3rd for that kind of move and then it might give us a shot at Domi, Wennberg or Erne and definitely Zykov.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
Two 2nds for 9 spots would be very low valuation. More Likely it would be a 2nd and 3rd for that kind of move and then it might give us a shot at Domi, Wennberg or Erne and definitely Zykov.
What if we added Beaulieu? I want Lindholm or Monahan.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Is our first rounder at around 25th to 30th lets say, and our nashville and calgarys high seconds, with beaulieu enough to get to 3..thats what i want to know...or would w ehave to add more....kristo.

If we came out of the draft with Jonathan drouin, and still have our own 2nd (jordan subban perhaps), and 2 thirds, including dallas' high one, and all the rest of our picks in a deep draft with timmins at the helm and we have to subtract beaulieu and kristo to do so..i dont see a problem with that.....yah kristo could turn in to a great top sixer and beaulieu could become a top 4 d-man but i just trust timmins so much with what he's been able to do. Im kinda biased obviously (see username) but man drouin would look nice on gally's winger scoring highlight reel goals for the next decade.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Is our first rounder at around 25th to 30th lets say, and our nashville and calgarys high seconds, with beaulieu enough to get to 3..thats what i want to know...or would w ehave to add more....kristo.

If we came out of the draft with Jonathan drouin, and still have our own 2nd (jordan subban perhaps), and 2 thirds, including dallas' high one, and all the rest of our picks in a deep draft with timmins at the helm and we have to subtract beaulieu and kristo to do so..i dont see a problem with that.....yah kristo could turn in to a great top sixer and beaulieu could become a top 4 d-man but i just trust timmins so much with what he's been able to do. Im kinda biased obviously (see username) but man drouin would look nice on gally's winger scoring highlight reel goals for the next decade.
You really need to stop dreaming about it. We won't get Drouin unless we trade 1 of Pacioretty, Subban or Galchenyuk.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:57 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post

In these days of the Salary Cap if trading a couple of past 1st rounders(Beaulieu & LeBlanc) and a couple of draft picks,say our 1st & 2nd to draft Drouin without devastating the depth in our system.I would be all in,Bergevin & Company are the only ones that could truly know whether or not it's worthwhile.The Hab fans would be delighted to be able to draft Johnathan Drouin this summer and still have two 2nd's and two 3rd's to draft still more talent like Myles Bell,William Carrier,Laurent Dauphin and Tyler Hill or Samuel Morin in the 2nd & 3rd rounds.Sounds too good to be true,usually that means it's not possible.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:06 PM
shutehinside

I think the steal of the draft can be Nichushkin. 6'4", 200 lbs centre with All World skill. I know there's the "Russian" factor and he didn't come play in NA, but this is a guy who if he drops, I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to get him. Even if we did have to wait 3 or 4 years for him to come over like Tarasenko etc, he might still be worth it. Maybe guys like Galchenyuk, Markov, Emelin can help convince him to come over sooner. Who knows.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...ri-nichushkin/

Old
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If Bergevin signed a couple of Free Agents like DeKeyser and Sustr/Boivin,then I might contemplate trying to move up to draft a key player using picks and a couple of prospects.Sustr would alleviate finding another big body RD and DeKeyser would be able to play on the Habs right away.Say LeBlanc and Beaulieu our 1st and a 2nd to move into the 10-15 draft position,probably wouldn't get much higher pick than that. Boivin could replace Beaulieu or possibly Diaz.
Can you go thru draft history to find a team that gave up what you suggest to move up say 10 spots?? I don't think anyone gives up that much and especially in this years draft when there seems to be some much equal talent in the top 2 rounds. I would rather have the 4 picks than 1 higher 1st rounder. The team has started to fill out depth in the system which will be good for many years down the road.

Closed Thread