HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Stars @ Avs | 3/20/13 | 7:30 MT | Réservoir Jusqu'au Niveau Maximum!

Old
03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I think we're going to lose.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
So I come home, hop on twitter to see what the latest is on the Avs and first I see Jones is scratched...

Great, he's been useless and doesn't help at all. Maybe Sacco is doing something right? Then I see Orrbrien is scratched. He has been a lot better then Hunny/Obyrne but I guess its not to bad. Then I see McGinn is scratched....

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

I guess the tank is in full swing now.

I wish Sgarbossa could have a chance to play in Ginner's stead.

As for Jones...I hope there is only one Jones on our team next year and his first name is NOT David

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:58 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Move McGinn down from the first line, but don't scratch him ffs. He is very useful even when he doesn't score.

The jones scratch is basically coming too late. And O'Brien? Zanon, O'Byrne and Hunwick have been worse.
This. Holy hell Sacco.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:59 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Yeah Joe Sakic & Adam Foote never recovered.

Seriously, just stop with this ********. It might be that way in other sports but I just gave you TWO examples of why your theory is flawed. I could list MANY others (Yzerman as well).
You gave TWO examples, so what?! How many franchises have struggled to get out of the basement??? Florida, Edmonton, Columbus and Islanders are examples as well.

Quote:
People don't seem to realize that if we'd 'finish higher instead of much lower' we could very well be looking at a roster with Magnus-Paarjavii Svensson and Anton Lander instead of Duchene and O'Reilly AND Mika Zibanejad instead of Landeskog. How would that look?

McGinn-Stastny-PAP
MPS-Zibanejad-Hejduk
Mitchell-Lander-Jones
McLeod-Kobasew-Palushaj

The roster I just posted above is the way you remain PERPETUALLY OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS (or on the bubble with an above average coach) but never really going anywhere.

Why is it so difficult for people to GRASP this concept?
That's not true either... There is more then one way to build a Stanley Cup champion. Sitting on it's ass and waiting to strike gold with high draft picks is just one of then, certainly the cheapest one. Other franchises, NJ Devils and Detroit for example, have had sucess without a 1st overall pick.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Might as well start the draft party for Drouin or Jones right now.

Sacco

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:04 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
McGinn shouldn't have been scratched, he should have been put with either Stastny or O'Reilly. Jones getting scratched is good. O'Brien getting scratched makes no sense. Hunny, ROB and Zanon all deserve to be scratched before O'Brien. The only positive out of this though is that I think we will see a Hejda-Elliott pairing. Hejda is the exact defensive partner we need for Elliott.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
The only positive out of this though is that I think we will see a Hejda-Elliott pairing. Hejda is the exact defensive partner we need for Elliott.
Knowing Sacco he'll put out:
Zanon-Johnson
Hunwick-Elliott
Hejda-O'Byrne

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:08 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
McGinn has been awful for a few games now. Worse than Jones in fact. Really comes as no surprise.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Knowing Sacco he'll put out:
Zanon-Johnson
Hunwick-Elliott
Hejda-O'Byrne
This post should be saved or noted. I have a feeling you're gonna turn out looking like a genious.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
CobraAcesS

You have to love the genius behind this benching. Avs management knows they have a desperate coach, and an underachieving roster. So there is some 'albeit retarded' merit behind benching Jones, and then McGinn gets thrown in with him.

But... What's going to give you the best chance of tanking? Continuing to ice our best players and giving them a chance to come out and turn this losing streak around. Or... Do you use excuses to bench players, and disrupt any chance of that happening.

Our defense sucks overall, but they continue to choose the lesser players to put in the lineup. But use the 'veteran' tag to justify it, and now 'Barrie has a minor hip injury' so they recall Elliott.

Sacco is a master tank driver, they have made sure we don't have a chance in hell at winning games without making it completely obvious what we are doing.

All while Sherman and PL sit back and snicker at Sacco's dumb ass, getting them their next franchise player, and taking all the blame.

Sacco fired
Draft Jones/Mack/Drouin
Roy hired
Sign a couple free-agents (1D, 1F IMO)

NEW SEASON / NEW START / BRIGHTER FUTURE!

(I'm sorry but 'management' is tanking this season, it's just too obvious at this point when you look at the whole of what Sacco has done in managing the roster over the last two weeks specifically.)

Think about it? Sacco gets fired after this season, but still has another year of financial security even if hes fired. That's quite the consolation prize for getting one more shot, and then being on board with tanking the team if we aren't near the playoffs. Especially when he could of been fired last year...

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 03-20-2013 at 03:26 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:30 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
You gave TWO examples, so what?! How many franchises have struggled to get out of the basement??? Florida, Edmonton, Columbus and Islanders are examples as well.

That's not true either... There is more then one way to build a Stanley Cup champion. Sitting on it's ass and waiting to strike gold with high draft picks is just one of then, certainly the cheapest one. Other franchises, NJ Devils and Detroit for example, have had sucess without a 1st overall pick.
They don't have Kroenke for an owner though.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:33 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I can understand the scratchings. David Jones continues to be the biggest free agent bust of the summer, while Jamie McGinn has struggled considerably this month. Frankly, Chuck Kobasew and Cody McLeod have been more effective than both players the past 10 games.

At the end of the day these scratchings won't matter much unless someone like Mark Olver steps up and establishes himself.

Even though tonight's game at home against Dallas is arguably Colorado's easiest match-up for the rest of the season, they aren't positioned well for success no matter what line-up they ice.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
avsfan89

How did Colorado even make the playoffs in Sacco's first year?

Did he change his style since then, what is he doing different. Hard to believe he's a Jack Adams finalist...

avsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post

Did he change his style since then, what is he doing different. Hard to believe he's a Jack Adams finalist...
Craig Anderson.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
dahrougem2

My prediction for tonight

Landeskog/Duchene/Hejduk
Parenteau/Stastny/Kobasew
McLeod/O'Reilly/Palushaj
Olver/Mitchell/Bordeleau

Zanon/Johnson
Hunwick/Elliott
Hejda/O'Byrne

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
avsfan09

It's getting hard to take Joe Sacco seriously as a coach. Maybe he wants to get fired and take BU job. He should realize Sherman doesn't play hardball.

My reaction to his decisions today:

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
AvsFanJosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
You've heard the story of Drizzt (or what ever his name is) right?
The Worm Eater?

AvsFanJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:14 PM
avalanchuck

Quote:

Quote:
Craig Anderson.
They gave him credit for riding the hot goalie?

TBH I would think it would need to be more than that. But hey we can't figure out why he still has a job... so stranger things could happen.

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:18 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post

I don't mind us having a bad year in a shortened season if it means a Seth jones. Teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago struck gold and it eventually payed off. Colorado is really close we just need a coach and a few pieces to insulate our young stars.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:18 PM
hawk30

I get McGinn is a better player than Kobasew or McLeod, but what exactly has he done recently to entitle himself to guaranteed playing time?

Cut Sacco some slack.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:26 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
I get McGinn is a better player than Kobasew or McLeod, but what exactly has he done recently to entitle himself to guaranteed playing time?

Cut Sacco some slack.
I don't think anyone mind him being taken off Dutchy and PAP's line for a while. But go from 1st line to healthy scratch straight away makes no sense at all in my book.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:

Quote:
Craig Anderson.
Pretty much. Anderson's great start to the season is the only reason why we made the playoffs and that's why Sacco is still the head coach. The team also badly struggled towards the end of the season that year and stumbled into the playoffs.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 2000
If they ice the puck in the 11th second AGAIN I'll just turn the game off.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post

Cut Sacco some slack.
Lol cut Sacco some slack? Maybe he should sit Bordeleau if he's only gonna use him for 2-3 minutes rather than scratching, you know, a regular player. Sure McGinn has been snakebitten and not producing but he's always in hard on the forecheck, always finishing his checks and always getting shots on goal, he should not be sitting

Or maybe he should sit Zanon, or O'Byrne, or Herpwick rather than O'Brien who clearly has not been as bad as all three of those bums

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote