HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs Interested in Mike Ribeiro

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
People bringing up Ribs' past are hillarious.

The guy has been nothing but money since he came to DC and you're trading for a rental pure and simple.

He's 33 and he's going to sign one last big contract, there's no way he doesn't hit the open market.

Why bring up past issues for a guy who's going to play less than 20 regular season games + the playoffs for you?

Old
03-20-2013, 08:07 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 6-5 vs NYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Wouldn't for the Leafs.

If they trade Grabovski, they'll need a true checking line centre to replace him... Ribeiro isn't that type of player.
Either is Grabovski.

McClement is better suited for that role.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:20 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Either is Grabovski.

McClement is better suited for that role.
Grabovski is a competent and capable shutdown player though... he's just underutilized in that role. Ribeiro is not.

Brooks Laich would likely be a more realistic target for Grabovski... with the obvious injury concerns.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 6-5 vs NYG

Quote:
Grabovski is a competent and capable shutdown player though... he's just underutilized in that role. Ribeiro is not.

Brooks Laich would likely be a more realistic target for Grabovski... with the obvious injury concerns.
Tip of the day.

If you trade two players they don't have to assume the other players role.

ie. Ribeiro would not be obtained to be a shutdown center.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:50 AM
nTsplnk*

The Leafs need a real solution to 1C not Mike Ribeiro.

Ribeiro is good offensively and can be a pest, but the Leaf's shouldn't waste assets to get a rental.

Ribeiro is worth a 1st + + as well.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
I don't want to trade Biggs...I'd say Colborne+ should get it done.

don't know if you pay any attention to the Marlies or not, Joe Colborne is having his best season as a pro and is getting better and a little more dominant every game

I don't see any reason why the Leafs would trade a guy who looks like he may eventually be a top 6 guy.

I like Mike Ribeiro I think he's a real solid and crafty vet, and maybe a guy that can drive the offense to bigger heights. The Leafs would have to clear a roster spot for him though and that means someone gone from the big club, someone who's name ends in "sky" is the most likely guy

Last edited by therealkoho: 03-20-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 10:29 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Quote:
Wouldn't for the Leafs.

If they trade Grabovski, they'll need a true checking line centre to replace him... Ribeiro isn't that type of player.
Right, because Grabovski is a true checking line center

We can replace Grabovski internally with McClement

Old
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Ricky Bobby

It all comes down to what is the cost of acquiring Ribeiro and whether Toronto feels they've got a really good chance of reinking him.

Acquiring Ribeiro would give us him and Kadri as our top 2 offensive centers. People will point out the flaws in Ribeiros game but who else are we going to acquire that has anywhere near his offensive upside without giving up the entire franchise between now and next year?

Bozak/Grabo can both play the third role but honestly I wouldn't be sad to see either traded or in the case of Bozak us just walking away from him in the summer. I certainly hope we don't give Bozak a multi year deal over 3 million. This guy is the latest version of Moore or possibly even Stajan when they were Leafs.

McClement is a beauty stopper that has added a lot to this team and needs to play 3rd line minutes whether it's at center of on the wing (then as our top PK guy). We've also got Colborne almost ready for the show who can be groomed into a 3rd line center and Komarov who at the very least is an excellent 4th liner center.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
That's mainly because of injuries... and that wasn't even a problem for Connolly last year.

No, I'm telling you that Tyler Bozak is a better LINEMATE for Phil Kessel (and Lupul/JvR) than Mike Ribeiro. I have no doubt that Ribeiro would help them score more goals, but that difference would definitely be more than offset by the goals against. That line does not have problems scoring goals, where they have problems, is keeping it out of their net.

Phil Kessel is never going to be a good defensive player, the way you insulate that is by giving him linemates with size who are strong on the puck, and can maintain posession in the offensive zone. Tyler Bozak is far superior in that regard.

You're missing by far the most important component -- Phil Kessel's centre needs to be strong on the puck, and successful in the dirty areas of the ice. That isn't Mike Ribeiro. We're better off with a guy who doesn't neccessarily have the playmaking ability, but somebody who can keep the +/- of that line respectable. The way you keep +/- up, is by keeping the puck in the offensive zone. You generally can't be scored on when you have posession of the puck 200 feet from your own net.
So now you bring up the most overrated stat in hockey +/- in an effort to prove Tyler Bozak is a better fit on our top line, one problem that won't work for you either. Bozak career -48 , Ribeiro career even at 0.

Even this year dispite being on an AWFUL caps team. Ribeiro -5 Bozak -7

Old
03-20-2013, 12:39 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Joe Colbourne is not an NHL player. He can't even dominate in the AHL. So, if you can move him for a rental I say go for it.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*

Quote:
That's mainly because of injuries... and that wasn't even a problem for Connolly last year.
Wow, you just said another reason why Ribby is better than Connolly. Thank you for supporting my argument.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Nazem To Kessel

As a leafs i would be all over this, i'm not sure why some leaf fans don't want him.

would Colborne + 2nd do it? or Colborne + Mac/Grabo + 4th for Riberio + 2nd (conditional if riberio resigns, if he doesn't it switches to a 3rd)

Old
03-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs81 View Post
As a leafs i would be all over this, i'm not sure why some leaf fans don't want him.

would Colborne + 2nd do it? or Colborne + Mac/Grabo + 4th for Riberio + 2nd (conditional if riberio resigns, if he doesn't it switches to a 3rd)
If we trade him we would get a 1st back +, anything less in offers you are just wasting our time.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:08 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs81 View Post

It should be obvious why some Leaf fans don't want him.

We need a #1 center with size to compliment our small wingers... a true Batman to Kessel's Robin.

Ribeiro isn't that guy and unless we're shedding a contract we no longer want, we need to avoid giving up assets for this rental player.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
People bringing up Ribs' past are hillarious.

The guy has been nothing but money since he came to DC and you're trading for a rental pure and simple.

He's 33 and he's going to sign one last big contract, there's no way he doesn't hit the open market.

Why bring up past issues for a guy who's going to play less than 20 regular season games + the playoffs for you?
So then why do you not want to re-sign him? Something's fishy there. Ribeiro isn't a player you can win with, it's that simple.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:26 PM
tony135420

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
It should be obvious why some Leaf fans don't want him.

We need a #1 center with size to compliment our small wingers... a true Batman to Kessel's Robin.

Ribeiro isn't that guy and unless we're shedding a contract we no longer want, we need to avoid giving up assets for this rental player.
I agree with this post, however, #1C with size aren't normally traded for. They're drafted or signed as UFA's. No UFA this summer sticks out as a guy who fits the criteria. Aiming for a center with vision and speed to keep up and dish the puck to Kessel/JVR/Lups would open more options via trade.

I for one, hope we don't go after Ribeiro. He's a rental, doesn't fit with the direction the Leaf's are going and would cost futures. I hope Nonis aims for Backstrom. He'll cost more..ALOT more but would fit the Leafs long term goals and is a bonified #1C. Giving up futures for him would be easier to swallow.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
So then why do you not want to re-sign him? Something's fishy there. Ribeiro isn't a player you can win with, it's that simple.
He may not want to resign which is why we are entertaining trade offers at the deadline.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:54 PM
OLUSAF

Kulemin, Colborne and 2nd for Ribeiro and Chimera

Washington gets a roster player in Kulemin that would fit into their line-up either alongside Ovechkin or Kuznetsov down the road. Also a decent prospect and pick.

Leafs get a veteran in Chimera who can be defensively responsible and chip in offensively. Brings a lot of the same attributes to the line-up as Kulemin just older and without some of the future upside.

Also Leafs get their Centreman and the ability to move Grabovski for an upgrade somewhere else in the line-up (i am all for a Grabo+Scrivens for Lu deal being talked about in the other thread).

JVR Ribeiro Kessel
Lupul Kadri Frattin
Mac Bozak Chimera
Komarov McLement Orr
McLaren

Old
03-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Drunk World Order

The guy is a puke on and off the ice...it would be a bad move.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:43 PM
dahlenrules

Quote:
I would like the Caps to re-sign him, but if they can't it would be much better to have a bidding war and get something for him, then just lose him for nothing in the off season.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
As a Habs fan I don't want the Leafs to get him. He'd be a great fit as a rental for them.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
As a Habs fan I don't want the Leafs to get him. He'd be a great fit as a rental for them.
IF we get him he will be signed he would be brought in with next year in mind. This team is improving and IMO is closer then people think. I think we have VERY solid talent on the wings and Kadri is starting to look like a long term #2 center. If we can fill the #1 hole thats a HUGE step

Old
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
IF we get him he will be signed he would be brought in with next year in mind. This team is improving and IMO is closer then people think. I think we have VERY solid talent on the wings and Kadri is starting to look like a long term #2 center. If we can fill the #1 hole thats a HUGE step
Signed? To what sort of contract?

By trading for a soon-to-be UFA and initiating contract discussions, you give his agent all the leverage.

Considering his production this year, his agent will likely ask for 30M over 5 years, which is WAY too much to pay for a guy who isn't what we need on our top line.

If you intend to overpay the guy, it's best to do it in the offseason and not give up young assets ON TOP of overpaying him.

For the record, I want nothing to do with Ribeiro.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Because he likely wants to test the market. Why wouldn't he? Weiss is the only other legit top-6 center available, and he doesn't have Ribeiro's history of production.

And the 'not a player you can win with' bollocks is so overplayed and cliche. The guy has, by all indications, been a good locker room presence for the Caps. Oates has even given him a 'A' this season.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

All I can say is I hope this doesn't happen. Ribeiro is a very good player.

Closed Thread