HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 04:50 PM
  #751
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,060
vCash: 500
Quick question ~ Is the maximum time period before an ELC must be signed different for a European then a North American?

blasted_Sabre is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:26 PM
  #752
Caje
Registered User
 
Caje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 38s
Leafs sign goalie prospect Garret Sparks to an entry level deal. Also sign Tom Nilsson.
Guelph Storm fan here. Congrats to both the Leafs and Sparks. You guys got a good one.

Caje is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
  #753
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,270
vCash: 500
There's actually a fair bit to be optimistic about.

Leivo looks good- shoulda been given a longer look to make the WJC. Shame he didn't, but no shame in that.

Sparks had a very good year.

Nilsson, from everything I've seen, looks very solid.

Then of course you have Rielly, Percy, Biggs, Finn... pretty nice to have so much prospect depth.

Dangles McGavin is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
  #754
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Hopefully Percy, Leivo, Biggs get a lot of icetime on the marlies, the rest of this year, and next year.

I rather they get to play and learn instead of playing career AHLers like scott and Yeo etc.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
  #755
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Quick question ~ Is the maximum time period before an ELC must be signed different for a European then a North American?
Nope, not anymore.

It used to be that teams retained rights to drafted European players indefinitely. It was changed to 2 years for everyone in the 05 CBA.

VanW27 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:41 PM
  #756
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 38s
Leafs sign goalie prospect Garret Sparks to an entry level deal. Also sign Tom Nilsson.
Good to hear. However we should use one of our third or fourth to get a guy like Tristan Jarry (i'm crazy about him)

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
  #757
81snipe
#44
 
81snipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Good to hear. However we should use one of our third or fourth to get a guy like Tristan Jarry (i'm crazy about him)
Agreed! I'd probably even use a 2nd on him.

81snipe is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:49 PM
  #758
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
Nope, not anymore.

It used to be that teams retained rights to drafted European players indefinitely. It was changed to 2 years for everyone in the 05 CBA.
Then how did we hold onto Komarov so long without signing him? He was an '06 draft IIRC

blasted_Sabre is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
  #759
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,447
vCash: 500
I love the future of our D.

Gardiner, Rielly, Nilsson, Finn, Percy, Granberg, Blacker

All should be NHL players

Kulemon is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
  #760
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Then how did we hold onto Komarov so long without signing him? He was an '06 draft IIRC
He was an unsigned prospect during that brief period when the Europe-NHL transfer agreement expired and some countries/leagues held out for a bit. When there was no deal in place, the NHL declared that teams would retain the NHL rights of all unsigned European prospects indefinitely.

Joey Hoser is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:16 PM
  #761
DevinH2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
So with Nilsson and Sparks signed, the only remaining draft pick whose future will have to be decided this year is Andrew MacWilliam of North Dakota. Big guy, stay at home defender, but also the captain of his team. Will be interesting to see what the Leafs brass decides.

I'm actually not certain what happens with defensemen Max Everson now too. He was playing his Sophmore season with Harvard which would have given him another two years of development time, but he was suspended from the team and went to play in the USHL. Either way, doesn't look like he'll amount to much in his career the way he's going, but I wonder what his situation would be.

DevinH2004 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
  #762
Number13
Registered User
 
Number13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinH2004 View Post
So with Nilsson and Sparks signed, the only remaining draft pick whose future will have to be decided this year is Andrew MacWilliam of North Dakota. Big guy, stay at home defender, but also the captain of his team. Will be interesting to see what the Leafs brass decides.

I'm actually not certain what happens with defensemen Max Everson now too. He was playing his Sophmore season with Harvard which would have given him another two years of development time, but he was suspended from the team and went to play in the USHL. Either way, doesn't look like he'll amount to much in his career the way he's going, but I wonder what his situation would be.
I'd be shocked if they don't sign Macwilliam. He's an absolute monster on skates, plays with grit, would block a shot with his face type guy. Looking forward to seeing how his game translates into the pros.

Number13 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:52 PM
  #763
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
MacWilliam is a guy that may never be in the spotlight, but will thrive outside of it.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:04 AM
  #764
Sergei Berezin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
I swear I read a report a few weeks ago saying Dave Poulin went to North Dakota to watch him play and to start discussing a contract.

I'm 99% sure they'll do their best to get him signed.

Sergei Berezin is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 09:14 AM
  #765
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,047
vCash: 500
for those asking about biggs, why he hasn't played last couple games or so

the coach said that now we have clinched the post season, we are resting him, and other top players

biggs has had a great year, he is a big part of the team according to the coach
and people say biggs has had a bad developmental year.
big part of the team, what else can you ask for

mikebel111 is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 10:01 AM
  #766
Loosie
Registered User
 
Loosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
There's actually a fair bit to be optimistic about.

Leivo looks good- shoulda been given a longer look to make the WJC. Shame he didn't, but no shame in that.

Sparks had a very good year.

Nilsson, from everything I've seen, looks very solid.

Then of course you have Rielly, Percy, Biggs, Finn... pretty nice to have so much prospect depth.
One of Levio or Spraks will be coming to the Marlies in 7 games or less. Kitchener and Guelph face each other in the first round in the OHL playoffs.

Loosie is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
  #767
kilgro
Thank you Burke!
 
kilgro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
for those asking about biggs, why he hasn't played last couple games or so

the coach said that now we have clinched the post season, we are resting him, and other top players

biggs has had a great year, he is a big part of the team according to the coach
and people say biggs has had a bad developmental year.
big part of the team, what else can you ask for
I think anyone who actually watched more than a couple generals game will tell you how good Biggs was/Is for them

kilgro is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:39 PM
  #768
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
@MapleLeafs prospect Morgan Rielly today named @TheWHL Eastern Conference first team all-star and named East Conf. Defenceman of the year.

Sonny21 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
  #769
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
@MapleLeafs prospect Morgan Rielly today named @TheWHL Eastern Conference first team all-star and named East Conf. Defenceman of the year.
Great to hear! Anyone think he has a chance on being WHL defenseman of the year?

Kulemon is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
  #770
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
@MapleLeafs prospect Morgan Rielly today named @TheWHL Eastern Conference first team all-star and named East Conf. Defenceman of the year.
He's also thereby a finalist for WHL Defencemen of the Year. I assume he'll be facing off against Seth Jones or maybe one of the overages?

He should win. He's had an insane year.

7even is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:11 PM
  #771
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
He's also thereby a finalist for WHL Defencemen of the Year. I assume he'll be facing off against Seth Jones or maybe one of the overages?

He should win. He's had an insane year.
Yeah..didn't someone say that Rielly has a point on 35+% of all Moose Jaw goals?

Pi is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:13 PM
  #772
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah..didn't someone say that Rielly has a point on 35+% of all Moose Jaw goals?
That person was me

~37.4% last time I ran the numbers.

7even is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:13 PM
  #773
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
He's also thereby a finalist for WHL Defencemen of the Year. I assume he'll be facing off against Seth Jones or maybe one of the overages?

He should win. He's had an insane year.
Most likely against Brenden Kichton, and Kichton's one of the favourites to win the CHL dman of the year award as well.


Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 03-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.
TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
  #774
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Most likely against Brenden Kichton, and Kichton's the favourite to win the CHL dman of the year award as well.
Thanks for the insight.

Yeah he's not going to beat an insane season like that, but Kichton's 20 years old, so I'm fine with that lol.

7even is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:29 PM
  #775
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Thanks for the insight.

Yeah he's not going to beat an insane season like that, but Kichton's 20 years old, so I'm fine with that lol.
Yeah, Kichton's experienced, I think he was a finalist last season as well.

FWIW (a bit OT), Kichton rejected Islanders' contract offer, and will be re-entering the draft.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.