HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nyquist sent back to Grand Rapids (UPD: Recalled again)

Old
03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Kiddington

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I personally thought this was the most interesting quote:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._nyquis_2.html

Right..
Sadly, that isn't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard him say.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:44 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Yeah, when I think Joakim Andersson, I think "gritty"
WTF

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:

Right..
Well after we load the team on RedBird whatever calling it these days they should pull Babcock off the plane and load him on Cessna to get to Anaheim for our next game, give him sometime to think about his line combos, his goalie mishandling, and overuse of the word(s) realgood.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
“We sent him to Peoria to play the game last night, gave him a six-hour bus ride,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “Let him sleep for a bit and we’ll let him play tonight, see how mentally tough he is. That’s all part of the training to be a Red Wing.”
I want Babcock fired ASAP

Can someone tell me what it is Tatar didn't do to "grab a hold" of his spot?

Old
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:

Right..
Babcock seriously said that? What an A**hole.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
What's funny is he believes that.
And can't stand people who BS like Babcock does and expect people to believe it

Babcock talks like a middle aged man who spends too much time on his Harley

Old
03-20-2013, 01:52 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
Tell that to Brunner, arguably the teams worst defensive forward... and yet he plays in just as many key defensive situations as anyone.

Painfully obvious here that Babcock plays favorites. It is what it is I guess, but it's very unfortunate.
It would seem Nyquist isn't one of them. Would love to see him traded to the Sabres.

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 03-20-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:

Right..
Here Babs goes, talking out of both sides of his mouth again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
What's sad is he believes that.
Fixed that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
Sadly, that isn't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard him say.
Not by a longshot.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
I want Babcock fired ASAP

Can someone tell me what it is Tatar didn't do to "grab a hold" of his spot?
I think you covered this in your Mike "Size Queen" Babcock rant.

My guess at what he thinks - Mike Babcock: Tatar and Nyquist get the puck and they are looking for options trying to do cute little plays. This isn't what I want, high off the glass or directly to Cleary those are the options and it worries me to put them on the ice because when they don't do this they also aren't large big body guys. So I can't trust them, Andy does these things plus he has the pictures of me as the other teletubby at the Grand Rapids party obviously the other guys forgot it happened cannot let the Wife find out, Andy's got to play.

I am seriously pretty done with Babs, he is a good coach but he has lost it and he has to have lost the room. If not when it changes a little because it has to, do you think guys like Smith, Kindl, Tatar, Nyquist aren't going to harbor a little ill will when this all shakes out? I sure do.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

To be fair to Babcock, he did call him a real good player.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:58 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Means less when he does it with Cleary, Abdelkader, Lashoff, and Andersson. If anything being lumped into the realgood player instead of the important player is a bad thing in Mike Babcock's book. Notice Filppula, Ericsson, and Franzen are important players that is the step above real good. Then you have star players, cannot tell whether he thinks Kronwall and Howard are examples of an important player or your star players need to be your best players and hardest workers speech. But those are the levels, I think we all hope Tatar and Nyquist are important players and not real good players.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:58 PM
kerjuxaxaxa

Quote:

Right..
oh god, it looks like Nyquist is in military service or something

kerjuxaxaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Jurky
Pulkamania Runs Wild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
As mentioned before

He said "real good" not "realgood" or "realgud"

Huge difference

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:13 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

"Gotchya realgud there guys, didn't I?

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
It would seem Nyquist ins't one of them. Would love to see him traded to the Sabres.
Babcock is extremely short-sighted. He only looks at the next game, who can give him the best chance to win it for him. That's fine. The problem is that this team needs to look way beyond this season already, infuse some youth(that is SKILLED), and get the long term gains. You can't shorten the adjustment period simply by letting the kids age. Nyquist can play at 75% capacity in the minors and get away with it because he's dominant there. No matter if he helps Detroit or not this season he's not going to develop any further playing against that competition. He's not necessarily going to get worse, but he's not going to get better either.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Babcock is extremely short-sighted. He only looks at the next game, who can give him the best chance to win it for him. That's fine. The problem is that this team needs to look way beyond this season already, infuse some youth(that is SKILLED), and get the long term gains. You can't shorten the adjustment period simply by letting the kids age. Nyquist can play at 75% capacity in the minors and get away with it because he's dominant there. No matter if he helps Detroit or not this season he's not going to develop any further playing against that competition. He's not necessarily going to get worse, but he's not going to get better either.
Having watched them in person of course Nyquist was gone but Tatar was there this weekend and then last night against Peoria on the net. Those two are beginning to show a little frustration and show what be can described as bad habits from lack of caring at that level. They have started trying things and floating at times that aren't great and weren't things I saw them do a whole bunch earlier. I am not sure they will get worse, but there was almost no spark in either guy last night which is beyond unusual. Maybe having the two of them in the same place for the first time in a month led to a what more to we have to do discussion? Sure looked like it at times last night, could have just been an off game, but I think from hearing their intermission interviews and other things it is really starting to wear on both guys.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 03-20-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

He did call Nyquist "realgood" in one of those quotes, so that's a good thing.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:10 PM
ChadS

Quote:
“We sent him to Peoria to play the game last night, gave him a six-hour bus ride,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “Let him sleep for a bit and we’ll let him play tonight, see how mentally tough he is. That’s all part of the training to be a Red Wing.”
That's such a load of BS, it's not even funny anymore.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post

"Gotchya realgud there guys, didn't I?

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:14 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
That's such a load of BS, it's not even funny anymore.
Yup, being jerked around and treated unfairly hasn't been a part of being a Red Wings player for a long time. This is an organization that likes to point out how classy they treat their players, the opposite is forming on how they treat their prospects.

Go ride a bus for six hours that is how you become a Red Wings player, please that sounds awful. Z and Datsyuk won't allow us to tank into the top 10 but if we did somebody might Lindros us out of this concern at this point.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I think you covered this in your Mike "Size Queen" Babcock rant.

My guess at what he thinks - Mike Babcock: Tatar and Nyquist get the puck and they are looking for options trying to do cute little plays. This isn't what I want, high off the glass or directly to Cleary those are the options and it worries me to put them on the ice because when they don't do this they also aren't large big body guys. So I can't trust them, Andy does these things plus he has the pictures of me as the other teletubby at the Grand Rapids party obviously the other guys forgot it happened cannot let the Wife find out, Andy's got to play.

I am seriously pretty done with Babs, he is a good coach but he has lost it and he has to have lost the room. If not when it changes a little because it has to, do you think guys like Smith, Kindl, Tatar, Nyquist aren't going to harbor a little ill will when this all shakes out? I sure do.
The thing that's frustrating me is Nyquist is not the type of player who is going to make things happen by forcing them. Maybe he could do better on the backcheck and work a little harder on winning battles, but the meat and potatoes of his game is making smart reads and subtle little passes. It's not like Gus can just turn on the jets and become the player he's supposed to be.

He needs a bit of time to figure out how to play a highly creative, highly IQ-oriented game against the best in the world and that won't happen overnight. Babcock seems to expect it to. I think it's possible that we're realizing an ugly fact: defensively-oriented "motivator" type coaches are notoriously bad at developing young players, particularly young offensive players. There's a reason "player coaches" exist, and it's for this very reason: some guys need a little time and their coach's trust to develop properly.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
The thing that's frustrating me is Nyquist is not the type of player who is going to make things happen by forcing them. Maybe he could do better on the backcheck and work a little harder on winning battles, but the meat and potatoes of his game is making smart reads and subtle little passes. It's not like Gus can just turn on the jets and become the player he's supposed to be.

He needs a bit of time to figure out how to play a highly creative, highly IQ-oriented game against the best in the world and that won't happen overnight. Babcock seems to expect it to. I think it's possible that we're realizing an ugly fact: defensively-oriented "motivator" type coaches are notoriously bad at developing young players, particularly young offensive players. There's a reason "player coaches" exist, and it's for this very reason: some guys need a little time and their coach's trust to develop properly.
What should really scare Babcock is the guy sitting next to him on the bench has that reputation and Blashill down in Grand Rapids is developing into someone that the hockey world views as great with young talent from his stops with the Indianapolis Ice, Western Michigan and now Grand Rapids.

He might want to think about doing it before it is too late.

To borrow from the lockout Andersson, Cleary, and Lashoff are the hill Babcock will die on, hopefully he blinks like the NHL did on that line.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Henkka

So is Holland now good or a bad GM? So yesterday, when he didn't call Nyquist up, he was bad, and now he is good again?

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
RedWinger10

I think Babcock wants to get the best assessment of him to determine his value when they have to resign him at the end of the season. And maybe as well if he will be valuable in the playoffs.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
silkyjohnson50*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
What should really scare Babcock is the guy sitting next to him on the bench has that reputation and Blashill down in Grand Rapids
I don't think Babcock has any fear about losing this job. He knows that he's much closer to the end than the beginning with this organization. Coaches don't stick around forever with the same club and he's said that himself.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote