HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville vs CBJ | March 19 7pm ET | Meme Madness!

Old
03-20-2013, 03:53 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
XGMSH deserves some. Todd Richards and the coaching staff deserve some. Vinny Prospal, Jack Johnson and all those that have assumed leadership roles deserve some. The entire team deserves some for buying in and putting it out there. The fans for hanging in deserve some. JD deserves some for breathing fresh air into the organization. John P. McConnell deserves some for hiring JD.

Did I miss anybody?
And XGMDM deserves NONE.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
And XGMDM deserves NONE.
But he drafted Rick Nash.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
XGMSH deserves some. Todd Richards and the coaching staff deserve some. Vinny Prospal, Jack Johnson and all those that have assumed leadership roles deserve some. The entire team deserves some for buying in and putting it out there. The fans for hanging in deserve some. JD deserves some for breathing fresh air into the organization. John P. McConnell deserves some for hiring JD.

Did I miss anybody?

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
You'll need to state your answer in the form of a meme.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:39 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
No, only people who deserve credit

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Really??? you'd like to turn the clock back and un-do the tenure of the guy who got the Arena lease deal signed?
I wasn't thinking about that impact, but that deal probably doesn't happen without Priest... He gets a lot of credit for doing so..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Nope

we kind of like it.
NOOOO! Give it back!

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Ha! That might slow Bee down, but nobody wants to shut him up. At least, I don't.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
I'd hold out for 2 quatloos Pete.
Two quatloos? I don't know if I can do that...I mean, this credit will take up a lot of shelf space, it's a really limited market, and it could move tomorrow or it could move in 10 years. Best I can do is half a quatloo, and that's about it. I have overheard too.

Quote:
And XGMDM deserves NONE.
I disagree. Dougie deserves a huge amount of credit for making the move to climb up and get Rick Nash in the first place. If he had just stood pat at #3, it's very possible that someone moves up to #2 and gets Nash, leaving Columbus with the undesirable options of either a goalie in the first round for the second straight year, or else Scottie Upshall.

(Speaking of Upshall...where's that thread on Hockey IQ?)

Now, we can always start a separate thread detailing credit breakdown by entity. Eventually I'm sure we can come to a consensus without strangling each other...right?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Now, we can always start a separate thread detailing credit breakdown by entity. Eventually I'm sure we can come to a consensus without strangling each other...right?
Sure thing (as long as we all stay out of arm's reach of each other).

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:38 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Rick Nash has 0 goals and 0 assists for the Blue Jackets this season. He, nor the guy who drafted him, gets any credit in my book for this squad's success.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:38 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Sure thing (as long as we all stay out of arm's reach of each other).
And put away the sharp objects and lock up the firearms. Sounds just like any typical family gathering.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Rick Nash has 0 goals and 0 assists for the Blue Jackets this season. He, nor the guy who drafted him, gets any credit in my book for this squad's success.
Anisimov says hi....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Anisimov says hi....
Despite all that, I think the argument could be made that the failed attempts to build around Rick Nash attributed partially to our horrible play.

Plus DM did a lot other things poorly: see the handling of Federov, Whitney, etc. He ran more great players off the team than he brought in.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:03 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Can we all agree that at least SOME of the credit is due to Howson?
I don't think we'll ever be over Macho Grande.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
It appears that "whenever possible" means every day and in every thread. I liked Howson, but I also liked Doug and Hitch. They all contributed to the good and (mostly) bad of CBJ history. All three are gone, as will be, one day, their successors. What possible use can there be in you popping up in every thread, all over the board, to defend the former GM whenever his name is mentioned? Are you really only able to enjoy the recent run of success if it can be attributed to Howson, alone? If, one day, Howson is recognized as having played a part in building a CBJ Cup winner, we can all become teary-eyed and nostalgic over our chosen libations. I'll even buy your first round!
But pete...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qmeme_1363871571941_281.jpg‎ (157.2 KB, 1 views)

Old
03-21-2013, 08:50 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
But pete...
Clearly.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
True but as I said before Howson's knack was for finding guys who weren't expected or supposed to play that well but ultimately did (for a while). Guys like Letestu and Nikitin. So I'm saying I don't think he necessarily set us up for success. Instead he set us up for mediocrity but we are finding success somehow.

It's like the Phoenix Coyotes last season. Look at their roster. Their GM didn't set them up for success by acquiring guys like Smith and the ex-Jackets (aside from Whitney), but they managed to find it due to Tippett's coaching and some luck.
I recognize folks have largely moved on from Yet Another Howson Debate and I don't want to rekindle it (for once ), but I really wanted to point out that this loser GM that didn't set the Coyotes up for success and only made it through dumb luck and Dave Tippett is Don Maloney - the inaugural General Manager Of The Year award winner.

I'm not sayin' anythin', I'm just sayin'.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quite honestly, I really don't give Howson any credit. He put together a team that every hockey expert in North America had finishing 30th out of 30 teams.

No one saw this hot streak coming, and I don't attribute it to XGMSH. I give the credit to the people running the team now. I mean really, our prospects are playing OK, but none have really blossomed yet. Maybe Cam's ankle slowed him down, but other than him, the others are playing well, but still have something to prove.

I mean, come on, Howson did not do everything wrong, but he had six years to build a winner, and failed miserably. I am just done with him, and done talking about him.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Quite honestly, I really don't give Howson any credit. He put together a team that every hockey expert in North America had finishing 30th out of 30 teams.

No one saw this hot streak coming, and I don't attribute it to XGMSH. I give the credit to the people running the team now. I mean really, our prospects are playing OK, but none have really blossomed yet. Maybe Cam's ankle slowed him down, but other than him, the others are playing well, but still have something to prove.

I mean, come on, Howson did not do everything wrong, but he had six years to build a winner, and failed miserably. I am just done with him, and done talking about him.
So he doesn't get any credit for this season simply because a bunch of people picked us to pick 30th? Makes perfect sense

03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So he doesn't get any credit for this season simply because a bunch of people picked us to pick 30th? Makes perfect sense
It makes so much sense that I won't even respond to it because I can't. I'll just have to wait until the next thread.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I understand that, and I understand that the so called experts can be woefully wrong, but still, most of us on this board never saw this hot streak coming either.

Honestly, Howson had six years, count em, six to build a winner, and I really want someone (Mayor) to convince me what a great job he did. If he had been so great, would you not think that after six years we would be icing a play-off caliber team?

I mean look at Toronto. Burke got canned, and that team is a legitimate play-off contender. So was that not worse than Howson being canned?

Anyway, there is still a ways to go. I want this team to make a run at this, and I will withhold final judgement on this team till April 27th. I thought Howson needed to go for a lot of reasons, and I still think that he needed to go.

I have always said that Howson did some things right, but sadly he did not do enough right.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:39 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Honestly, Howson had six years, count em, six to build a winner, and I really want someone (Mayor) to convince me what a great job he did.
Why would you do this?!?

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Why would you do this?!?

I'm not doing it. There's enough of a pattern of posting on my part that it shouldn't be necessary.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Anisimov says hi....
If you want to trace lineage, EVERYTHING this franchise does for the next 20 years can be traced back to XGMDM. Sorry. MacLean doesn't get credit for Anisimov.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:06 PM
major major

Quote:
I understand that, and I understand that the so called experts can be woefully wrong, but still, most of us on this board never saw this hot streak coming either.

Honestly, Howson had six years, count em, six to build a winner, and I really want someone (Mayor) to convince me what a great job he did. If he had been so great, would you not think that after six years we would be icing a play-off caliber team?

I mean look at Toronto. Burke got canned, and that team is a legitimate play-off contender. So was that not worse than Howson being canned?

Anyway, there is still a ways to go. I want this team to make a run at this, and I will withhold final judgement on this team till April 27th. I thought Howson needed to go for a lot of reasons, and I still think that he needed to go.

I have always said that Howson did some things right, but sadly he did not do enough right.
I'm not going to get into a discussion of the firing, or claim that he was a great GM, but when you say he doesn't deserve any credit, yeah I'll quibble with that.

Howson took a poor team and added value through years of successful drafting and trading. Do a full analysis of his draft choices compared to the surrounding picks and you'll conclude that he is at least average in that department, if not better. I like most of his trades as well.

Of course, if you are going to do a full retrospective, you have to look at the fact that the team was bad for a few years. But to answer you most simply, he deserves credit for the way he composed this year's team: the Nash trade, the second Carter trade, the Bobrovsky trade, the Foligno trade, etc.. I really like this team, and he is the one who built it.

major major is online now   Reply With Quote