HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Atlantic Divison Outlook / Salary Caps

Old
08-03-2006, 03:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Atlantic Divison Outlook / Salary Caps

Just about 2 months till opening night and one till training camp!

Considering the Rangers solid off-season to date, how do they fare up vs. the other 4 teams in the division?

This is an honest discussion about the Division as a whole. A lot can happen between now and then so why am i making this thread? Because im bored at work and i can always update it. Feel free to let me know if im missing anything.

SEE: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=247952 for the Rangers Cap Position

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Devils: Last Season - First Place 101 pnts.
Cap Position: 44,759,566 (NHLPA) / 46,495,000 (http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/)
05-06' roster players unsigned -9 (Gionta, Kozlov, Hale, Martin, Albelin, Rasmussen, Langdon, Brooks, Clemmensen)

Additions: Mike Rupp, Mike Mottau

Loses: Ken Klee, (Wiemer + Matvichuk - L.T.I.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flyers: Last Season - Second Place 101 pnts.
Cap Position: 41,945,500 (NHLPA) / 38,781,000 (http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/)
05-06' roster players unsigned -7 (Gagne, Savage, Therien, Stevenson, Ready, Kavanagh)

Additions: Kyle Calder, Mark Cullen, Randy Robitaille

Loses: Micheal Handzus, Kim Johnsson, Donald Brashear, Eric Desjardins (retired)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Islanders: Last Season - Fourth Place 78 Pnts.
Cap Position: 34,817,200 (NHLPA) / 35,113,000 (http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/)
05-06' roster players unsigned -4 (DiPietro, Erskine, Godard, Colley)

Additions: Sean Hill, Tom Poti, Brendan Witt, Mike Sillinger, Chris Simon, Andy Hilbert

Loses: Oleg Kvasha

Pittsburgh: Last Season - Fifth Place 58 Pnts.
Cap Position: 22,585,953 (NHLPA) / 29,746,000 (http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/)
05-06' roster players unsigned -7 (Boguniecki, Koltsov, Nordgren, Odelein, Rita, Surovy, VandenBussche)

Additions: Mark Recchi (kinda), Nils Ekman, Ronald Petrovicky, Jarkko Ruutu, Dominic Moore, Libor Pivko, Mark Eaton

Loses: Sebastien Caron, Shane Endicott

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-16-2006 at 08:11 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Choice

The Devils and Flyers are the teams to fear, and Devils much more so IMO. We all saw how Jersey played the second half of last year, and if they can stay healthy there is no reason they should fall off. Their team is basically intact. With Brodeur they are one of the few teams that is better than us in nets.

The main thing that scares me about Philly is a healthy Forsberg. While they still will be able to beat up on the Rangers, it won't be as nearly as bad with the additions of Ward and Hall. And we still have enough skill players to skate all over their defense. In goal, you've got to give us the nod as well.

It's going to be a tough division, and I think the Devils should be favorites to win it at this point, but we definitely have a realistic shot and I think we should finish ahead of Philly.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Going into the season I say the Devils, Rangers, Flyers all look fairly solid.

I'm going to give the edge to the Devils, assuming they are able to lose some salary and keep their core players. If they trade Gomez or Gionta or Rafalski to a lesser extent, I'd drop them down below the Rangers.

I think the team we have NOW is far improved over last years team. I don't see how you could say otherwise honestly. We have a few gaps in the lineup (#1 center, defenseman) but we have plenty of depth and skill up front and on D to make a strong playoff push.

The Flyers are a good team, esp with Peter Forsberg in the lineup. Without him they are fairly solid, but it really makes all the difference. Without him for an extended period of time I think they'll struggle to 3rd, but not be so far out that they couldn't catch up if the Devils or Rangers got into a funk.

The Islanders are well the Islanders. I bet they show some improvement overall, but are still a team in a transition. I look for them to play tough and win games people don't expect them to win, but are not a playoff team. The defense is not a strong suit imo.

The Penguins still have a lackluster defense and even though Malkin and Crosby may headline the team, I just don't think they have enough depth on the wings to make full use of those talents. I look for them to be a competitive team, but maybe a year away from truly breaking out. Depends on how the prosepects sink/swim I guess.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 04:25 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I'm wondering if I'm the only one that giggled when they read Mike Mottau added by the Devils? lol

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 04:32 PM
eco's bones

The Devils unless they can pull the ol' rabbit out of the hat are probably going to lose at least one key player and maybe two. If it's someone like Rafalski that is going to hurt their pwp a lot. How good the Devils are overall might have a lot to do with how a Parise emerges this year or a Bergfors/Zajac/Greene fit in and play. I wouldn't count them out that's for sure although Lou certainly hasn't helped himself or his team by controling player costs.

The Flyers themselves seem to have some cap problems too. The only one of that list of 7 they have to bring back is Gagne. Desjardins maybe. I'm not sure I like their defense or their goaltending very much. Forsberg is injury prone and Primeau is in Eric Lindros territory if not worse. Between them and the Devils I think New Jersey even with all the cap antics are the ones I'd worry more about.

As for the Islanders they have some good players some of whom are classic underachievers. Yashin is an albatross. I've never been a big fan of Satan who if he isn't scoring isn't really doing anything. Blake and Asham and York are good guys. This Campoli had a very good rookie year. Bringing in Witt gives their defense a real edge although he's never been able to really control his temper. Zhitnik can be solid. A question for them concerns DiPietro who has never been consistent enough to prove he's a real No. 1. He's still young but he needs to do more--or in the case of sometimes more being less--as in stop trying to be Martin Brodeur with the puck--so much. As far as their management goes--the Snow thing is out of left field--I don't see it being anything but a disaster but who knows--strange things can happen.

and lastly to Pittsburgh. Crosby and Malkin---Fleury, Whitney, Staal all their players are so young but if these guys all grow together to expectations they will someday be a powerhouse. It seems likely right now that they'll have another top 5 pick next season. I've never really liked the Pens at all but they seem to be a team to look out for in the not so distant future.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Gottokeeponrisin

As history has shown the battles is always with the Devils

Gottokeeponrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Devils for sure, For some reason the Flyers just dont scare me like they used to. The devils, however, still scare the crap out of me (justified after that sweep)

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102 View Post
Devils for sure, For some reason the Flyers just dont scare me like they used to. The devils, however, still scare the crap out of me (justified after that sweep)
I think as long a Lundqvist, Jagr, Prucha, etc. are healthy, we are at least as good as the Devils. With Shanahan, Cullen, Ward, Rachunek, and the younger guys improving we have a chance to be better than them.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 05:51 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Unfortunately any outlook at this time is a iffy proposition. NJ still has a long way to go in resolving their cap issue. Whether it is one player like a Rafalski or several valuable foot soldiers remains to be seen and what impact that will have. Obviously the more players they lope off the roster the less depth they have. Everyone talks about the 3 RFAs, Martin, Hale & Gionta, but they still have several players to add, whether they be 2 way contracts that currently don't get configured in their cap total or not. At the end of the day they need to reach the 23 man roster, or do they play below the limit? If they do and because those players are in the minors are they subject to waivers on recall?

Philly's key is of course Forsberg. The question is whther he will be 100% and will he have any lingering issues from the ankle surgery, or the ankles by themselves. Their D is still SLLLOOOWWWW. Rathje, HAtcher et all are not going to morf into something they weren't last year. The game has opened up again and the guys who were wholly dependent on the clutch & grab were behind the yield curve.

The question for us is will our PKing be as good. Will Lundqvist & Prucha play at the same level or close to it. One year is not a career and so they have to go and prove they can do it again. Of the teams in our division I think we are stronger by both the additions and by the substractions. The other key is that several promising players are a step closer this year and could have an impact somewhere during the year.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 05:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whats the deal with Malone on Pittsburgh?
I know he had an arbitrator give him two years did the Pens sign him?
I guess they have till what, tomorrow to decide?

Old
08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Geogaddi

Islanders will take the Division...Thanks to Wang...He takes over DP's Spot in net.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:30 PM
shoothepuck

NY needs to redeem itself against NJ after last years sweep, and with the new players added, NY should lead the Atlantic Division.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Islanders will take the Division...Thanks to Wang...He takes over DP's Spot in net.
I thought Wang wanted to use sumo wrestlers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2523578

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Fletch

PITT will be better...

but they still won't be able to keep the puck out of the net. This season, I believe, will have much closer races as I think many teams will be able to compete. Washington and PITT will compete harder and play spoilers, as will the Isles, who have a playoff shot. Should be an exciting, down to the wire race.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
but they still won't be able to keep the puck out of the net. This season, I believe, will have much closer races as I think many teams will be able to compete. Washington and PITT will compete harder and play spoilers, as will the Isles, who have a playoff shot. Should be an exciting, down to the wire race.
This is going to be a real nasty division in a couple years.

08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I'm not counting on the Isles being all that competitive Fletch. Yashin should be their best player hands down and he just goes through the motions. If he continues that (which has been going on for a while anyway) I don't see them doing much. Their d might not be too bad--as far as Campoli, Zhintnik and Witt although Witt is a hot head. Then there is Poti and Sopel almost clones of each other. To me though a lot will depend on the goaltending they get and DiPietro is going to have to show he's the real deal. So far there have been glimpses of that but he's never been able to sustain for any length of time. To me Yashin and DiPietro are their 2 keys to success or failure. Having Nolan as their coach might make some difference though.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:07 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
I honestly think that the Devils and Rangers will only be seperated by about 5 points at the seasons end. Both teams have much skill. I'd give the edge to the Devils now, but depending on the cap situation that could all change.

Philly is getting better. They still have the big sluggish defense, who all teams in the Atlantic can out pace. But their offense and overwhelming physicality make up for it. And it seems as though they finally have a stable goaltending situation. If Forsberg is 100%, they could challenge both the Devils and the Rangers.

The Isles are the real wild card. The whole management situation is just really messy right now. Yashin doesn't give them much room to work with. I'll be honest, I really don't know too much about the Isles, but it should definately be an interesting situation to watch.

The Penguins will be much improved as well. Crosby has matured, and the addition of Malkin will be huge. But a sub-par defense and average goaltending will limit the Pens chances for at least a few more years. Expect another high draft pick.

And that's the Atlantic Division at a glance.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I honestly think that the Devils and Rangers will only be seperated by about 5 points at the seasons end. Both teams have much skill. I'd give the edge to the Devils now, but depending on the cap situation that could all change.

Philly is getting better. They still have the big sluggish defense, who all teams in the Atlantic can out pace. But their offense and overwhelming physicality make up for it. And it seems as though they finally have a stable goaltending situation. If Forsberg is 100%, they could challenge both the Devils and the Rangers.

The Isles are the real wild card. The whole management situation is just really messy right now. Yashin doesn't give them much room to work with. I'll be honest, I really don't know too much about the Isles, but it should definately be an interesting situation to watch.

The Penguins will be much improved as well. Crosby has matured, and the addition of Malkin will be huge. But a sub-par defense and average goaltending will limit the Pens chances for at least a few more years. Expect another high draft pick.

And that's the Atlantic Division at a glance.
I'm not even that confident of a playoff spot this year to be honest.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:45 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
This is going to be a real nasty division in a couple years.
Tell me about it. The Devils and Flyers always make the playoffs. Pittsburgh is slowly but surely building a powerhouse. The Rangers are improving, and you never know how the Islanders might do if they could actually dump Yashin's contract on someone and really rebuild. The Atlantic will probably produce a Cup-winner or two within the next five or six years, I'd say.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 10:05 PM
True Blue

With all the moves made

the Rangers are once again an unknown. I believe that they improved over last year, but there are still some questions and faults. The Atlantic can go in anyone's dirction. A healthy Forsberg helps the Flyers, but the goaltending (IMO) and a slower, though tougher with Gauthier, defense will hurt. The Devs will have Elias for the whole year, but barring miracles will be missing at least an important player or two. Off course, as mentioned, Parise could kick his level up and that would help immensely. The Isles look like a mess, but will be aggravating to play against (Simon, Witt, Asham, Hunter, Blake, Goddard) and can compete if some things go their way.

The Rangers made some good changes and need to expect that people like Henke, Prucha & Tyutin can all build on their rookie years and take a step forward. If Henke & Jagr are going again and the PK is working, they can contend. Shanny does make a difference though.

It will be interesting.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 08:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

What about TOUGHNESS?

Id say that the Rangers got a tad tougher by adding Shanny, Hall, Cullen and Ward. These are guys who aren't gonna drop the gloves if someone pokechecks them or something, but the overall "feel" of the team feels a little more tougher. Hollweg will roam as he does. And as always Kaspar is the X factor and Orr is there for certain nights. But still lacking in that dept IMO because of so many europeans up front.

I think with Simon, Witt, Asham, Hunter, Blake, Goddard the Islanders are for sure a scrappy team. I think with Nolan behind the bench im sure he'll want to prove a point to the rest of the Division and Conference that they wont be pushed around blah blah blah. But if they want to play a one dimensional game like that they will get beat by the score. IM sure theyll be a few big fights this year and the rivarly will heat up.

The Flyers took a hit in the toughness Dept by having Brashear leave but that also makes them a "smarter" team. They still have Gauthier we all know what he can do (Straka, how did he get up?), a big threat out their. When Forsberg is healthy he can dish it out and they have big bodies out there like Knuble and Stevenson (if signed). They are probably the most intimidating club in the Atlantic.

The Devils well, who knows... they resigned White but who knows if guys like Rassmussen and Madden or possibly another Dman will have to bite the bullet. The thing about the Devils though is they play a smart tough game no matter what and that in itself becomes the toughness factor. Depending on what kind of play they get from the youngsters and who they lose will determine if that play remains.

Pittsburgh is young. They do have Cairns who at the drop of a hat can become a force or a liability. they have some scrappy forwards here and there, Orpik plays a mean game. What he did to Cole was nasty. But as a whole the team isnt incredibly brash.

Old
08-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Devils unless they can pull the ol' rabbit out of the hat are probably going to lose at least one key player and maybe two. If it's someone like Rafalski that is going to hurt their pwp a lot. How good the Devils are overall might have a lot to do with how a Parise emerges this year or a Bergfors/Zajac/Greene fit in and play. I wouldn't count them out that's for sure although Lou certainly hasn't helped himself or his team by controling player costs.

The Flyers themselves seem to have some cap problems too. The only one of that list of 7 they have to bring back is Gagne. Desjardins maybe. I'm not sure I like their defense or their goaltending very much. Forsberg is injury prone and Primeau is in Eric Lindros territory if not worse. Between them and the Devils I think New Jersey even with all the cap antics are the ones I'd worry more about.

As for the Islanders they have some good players some of whom are classic underachievers. Yashin is an albatross. I've never been a big fan of Satan who if he isn't scoring isn't really doing anything. Blake and Asham and York are good guys. This Campoli had a very good rookie year. Bringing in Witt gives their defense a real edge although he's never been able to really control his temper. Zhitnik can be solid. A question for them concerns DiPietro who has never been consistent enough to prove he's a real No. 1. He's still young but he needs to do more--or in the case of sometimes more being less--as in stop trying to be Martin Brodeur with the puck--so much. As far as their management goes--the Snow thing is out of left field--I don't see it being anything but a disaster but who knows--strange things can happen.

and lastly to Pittsburgh. Crosby and Malkin---Fleury, Whitney, Staal all their players are so young but if these guys all grow together to expectations they will someday be a powerhouse. It seems likely right now that they'll have another top 5 pick next season. I've never really liked the Pens at all but they seem to be a team to look out for in the not so distant future.

I agree with your post. Need to see how Lamoriello clears up the cap problems and the emergence of Parise and possibly several other young players as well as Marty will determine how good the Devils will be.

As for the Rangers, I like the moves they made and if Jagar, Prucha and Lundqvist come close to last year's performances, they will have another excellent season.

I never count out the Flyers. They have a great young core of forwards, although I agree that they have questions on defense and in goal.

Not sure about the Islanders, they can go either way and I see Pittsburgh improving, hopefully where they don't receive another top five pick.

It should be the Devils, Rangers and Flyers fighting it out again.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 08-04-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Fletch

eco's...

I think the Isles can compete. I also think that getting the 8th seed will take less points than it did last season. They do have a scrappy team, and they do have some skill, decent goaltending, decent defense, and I think the specialty teams will be decent. Nothing great, but on any night, they will compete and get their share of wins, much to the chagrin of the Rangers' and Devils' fans at times. The wildcard is Yashin - who can score 40 goals, or he can score 25 goals. The difference being about 10-15 points in the standings (15 would've gotten them into the playoffs). Definitely not a lock, but the 6-8 spots will be hotly contested.

Old
08-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Fletch

brooklyndevil...

I agree on PITT, although I still think they haven't improve the defense much (just like last season). I think that will be a area of concern.

Old
08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

With so many cap figures floating around I've included a second cap source, this one seems more detailed, see links above.

(Also, check out Rodents new cap hit figure he found for the Rangers, and the spreadsheet that covers ALL the NHL teams, wow - see: - http://www.hockeyrodent.com/)

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-04-2006 at 10:16 AM.