HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Foley 1st Game with Hawks on WYEN 106.7

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
I don't know why you guys are giving him such a hard time. It's not like he's claiming to be Rocky Wirtz or Patrick Kane.

I believe the guy, but at the same time I have no clue where you might find this first broadcast. I suspect it doesn't exist any longer - but that's just a wild guess.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:21 PM
leary9909
Rookie User

A little more info...

I'm sorry some of you are questioning my credentials. I'm not sure what someone would have to gain by coming on a message board and pretending to be a producer? I only joined this board because I am having difficulty obtaining a radio game from the early 80's and have contacted the obvious places to get what I need without any luck. Up until a decade ago, TV stations, radio, and teams did not keep active records in their archives of all games. This is a more recent thing to record every game and file it. Pat does not have a copy of his first radio announcement, I have asked him. I have also asked the Hawks who do not have it. I am the producer for the Hawks on Comcast Sports Net Chicago. For those of you in the local area, feel free to tune into the game on April 19th. Maybe once you see our production, you will know that I'm not BS'ing you and I'm just looking for a little help for just one of many tributes we are paying to the great Pat Foley. Thank you in advance to the people that are helping me.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:23 PM
leary9909
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
Was it WYEN?
Yes. 106.7

Old
03-20-2013, 01:40 PM
leary9909
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
Maybe the guy should contact this guy.
http://thewyenexperience.com/

or take a shot at the Museum Of Broadcasting.
I've already made contact with Stew. He is checking with a guy named Kenn Heinlein who married into the Walters family who owned WYEN. Waiting to hear back from him. I also have a call into the Museum of Broadcasting.

Thanks for the info. This will be huge if we have the good fortune of finding someone with this. Pat would be thrilled to have it for him and his family as well. I will also be giving a credit in the telecast to whoever leads me to the recording.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:50 PM
99 steps
to the top

What the hell is the matter with you guys? Nice way to treat someone.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by leary9909 View Post
I'm sorry some of you are questioning my credentials. I'm not sure what someone would have to gain by coming on a message board and pretending to be a producer? I only joined this board because I am having difficulty obtaining a radio game from the early 80's and have contacted the obvious places to get what I need without any luck. Up until a decade ago, TV stations, radio, and teams did not keep active records in their archives of all games. This is a more recent thing to record every game and file it. Pat does not have a copy of his first radio announcement, I have asked him. I have also asked the Hawks who do not have it. I am the producer for the Hawks on Comcast Sports Net Chicago. For those of you in the local area, feel free to tune into the game on April 19th. Maybe once you see our production, you will know that I'm not BS'ing you and I'm just looking for a little help for just one of many tributes we are paying to the great Pat Foley. Thank you in advance to the people that are helping me.
Let me apologize on behalf of the posters here, who I'm sure feel embarrassed for being jerks. I hope you get the info you were looking for.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I think this place and its members are a lot more highly regarded than we think. It's not as if this is the first time something like this has happened. Hockey's future was one of the very first things I started reading 15 years back when I first got online so I never knew it any different but it definitely reaches out there.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:08 PM
SlowSkates

I wish I had taped some of those broadcasts in the early 80s on WIND. I think I caught Pat his first year on WIND...it was my introduction to Black Hawk Hawkey (as I always imagined he would spell his pronunciation).

As a small kid I used to hide a radio under my pillow so I could listen to Hawks games...I can remember many a winter night in a dark bedroom with Pat to keep me company while I enjoyed the broadcast, even when I didn't enjoy the outcome.

Pat is the reason I grew up to love hockey...I am glad the Hawks are giving him a good 30 year party. I live a long way from Chicago now, but have been thinking of coming back just for that game...Pat's the man.

Good luck tracking down some old recordings...if you do find them, I hope I can hear them too.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by leary9909 View Post
I've already made contact with Stew. He is checking with a guy named Kenn Heinlein who married into the Walters family who owned WYEN. Waiting to hear back from him. I also have a call into the Museum of Broadcasting.

Thanks for the info. This will be huge if we have the good fortune of finding someone with this. Pat would be thrilled to have it for him and his family as well. I will also be giving a credit in the telecast to whoever leads me to the recording.

Did you try the archives at the MoB?

http://www.museum.tv/collectionssection.php?page=16

Old
03-20-2013, 03:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Because we have no reason to believe that someone's a "producer for the Chicago Blackhawks" when visiting a message board, nor is there any logical reason to think that someone representing a team or a media outlet, whose archival resources and connections are far greater than any random person on a message board, would ever come to one looking for something like a decades' old recording.

As for why someone would lie on the internet.... uh.... besides that's what almost everybody does on the internet? Who knows, might just be some dude that wants to listen to Foley's broadcast for whatever reason and doesn't want to just say that that's his reason.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:40 PM
villain

You might have some better luck on the History of Hockey board.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Because we have no reason to believe that someone's a "producer for the Chicago Blackhawks" when visiting a message board, nor is there any logical reason to think that someone representing a team or a media outlet, whose archival resources and connections are far greater than any random person on a message board, would ever come to one looking for something like a decades' old recording.

As for why someone would lie on the internet.... uh.... besides that's what almost everybody does on the internet? Who knows, might just be some dude that wants to listen to Foley's broadcast for whatever reason and doesn't want to just say that that's his reason.
You seem to think that, until recently, the Hawks organ-i-zation was anything other than an unmitigated disaster. When McD showed up a few years ago, they had no head of HR. They had no receptionist. What makes you think they had radio recordings going back 30 years?

Old
03-20-2013, 05:35 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
And you are?

Quote:
Let me apologize on behalf of the posters here, who I'm sure feel embarrassed for being jerks. I hope you get the info you were looking for.
Why are you apologizing for the posters here when the majority of your posts are for teams other than the Blackhawks.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
RomersWorld*

Pat Foley thanked "Mike Leary" on air for about 15 seconds during the game tonight for hunting and finding clips and videos of games that Foley had broadcasted for. Foley said he worked hard to find many of the clips and vids of Foley's old calls.

Didn't say he went on HFBoards to find any though so it could be a fake still!

Old
04-19-2013, 09:25 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Totally worth bumping a dead topic for.

And, even still, the points myself and others brought up still stand. It's not logical to think that someone with media/team connections and resources would come to a fan message board that has none of that. Totally justifiable not to take some random person's claim that they're a producer for the team when no credentials are actually presented.

That being said, sounds like he did a great job with all the stuff for tonight, so props for that. Just don't expect people to take your word without proof next time!

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 04-19-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 10:29 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Totally worth bumping a dead topic for.

And, even still, the points myself and others brought up still stand. It's not logical to think that someone with media/team connections and resources would come to a fan message board that has none of that. Totally justifiable not to take some random person's claim that they're a producer for the team when no credentials are actually presented.

That being said, sounds like he did a great job with all the stuff for tonight, so props for that. Just don't expect people to take your word without proof next time!
It's on the internet. Isn't that proof enough?

Old
04-19-2013, 11:55 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

man some of you guys are clowns... ever wonder why you cant make friends??

I couldnt believe all the idiots hammering a guy for talking about being a producer... christ you would have thought he was claiming to be Marian Hossa on here..

I hope some of you realize there are plenty of players, executives, scouts, radio personalities, etc that are on this board. Most do not post, but they certainly do lurke..I am ashamed of some of you...I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul

Old
04-20-2013, 01:51 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
man some of you guys are clowns... ever wonder why you cant make friends??

I couldnt believe all the idiots hammering a guy for talking about being a producer... christ you would have thought he was claiming to be Marian Hossa on here..

I hope some of you realize there are plenty of players, executives, scouts, radio personalities, etc that are on this board. Most do not post, but they certainly do lurke..I am ashamed of some of you...I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul
Go **** yourself, AD.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:17 AM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
TBH, it was stupid to act like that. He wasn't asking for any special treatment, or really hoping to gain anything extraordinary. The idea that he could have some nefarious reason, that he didn't want to tell us, for trying to find Foley's first broadcast is a little paranoid. I feel like he could have just come up with a completely innocuous lie to tell if he wanted to do that, not say he was the producer and hope people believed him. I don't know why people need to make the assumption someone is always lying and they get bonus points for calling them out.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:29 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSkates View Post
I wish I had taped some of those broadcasts in the early 80s on WIND. I think I caught Pat his first year on WIND...it was my introduction to Black Hawk Hawkey (as I always imagined he would spell his pronunciation).

As a small kid I used to hide a radio under my pillow so I could listen to Hawks games...I can remember many a winter night in a dark bedroom with Pat to keep me company while I enjoyed the broadcast, even when I didn't enjoy the outcome.

Pat is the reason I grew up to love hockey...I am glad the Hawks are giving him a good 30 year party. I live a long way from Chicago now, but have been thinking of coming back just for that game...Pat's the man.

Good luck tracking down some old recordings...if you do find them, I hope I can hear them too.

Amen to that. I remember listening with my father to games on WIND back in the early 80's. I really like Olczyk, but Dale was my favorite guy at Pat's side. I was overjoyed that Pat was back in the booth when the Hawks won the cup.

You brought myself and those close to me some joy Pat, and I say thank you for doing so and thanks for the memories.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:26 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Yea, this has about run its course.

Closed Thread