HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's face it, our Islanders just aren't a good team, not a playoff team

Old
03-20-2013, 03:42 PM
JTforPres2012

vCash: 500
I also believe this team will come back to reality, and go on a nice 5 game skid and put themselves out of the running for a playoff spot, but what baffles me is all the recent negativity stemming from last night's loss.

Obviously, I know it was a heart-breaker and so on and so forth, but say they count Aucoin's goal and they hold on for a win, then everyone talks about how amazing they're playing and how they're a sure thing for making the playoffs. Just a few days ago, everyone was raving about how they're better than the Rags, but one game where they were a few calls away from the W and suddenly we're going to be in the run for the #1 pick again.

Personally, I think Crapuano has to go, and I've said it from day 1 along with many others, this team will continue to fold with lack of experience if they don't have a solid coach behind the bench.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
This is where I get lost with today's game. The idea of protecting a lead. I guess its the idea that a tie gets you a point so even if you blow a lead as long as you tie its ok so going into a defensive shell is ok.

BS!

You know the best way to protect a lead?

Add to it!

Show me a coach that wants to attack every minute his team is not on the PK no matter what the score and I will show you a winning coach.

Its the same adage used in football "All the prevent defense does is prevent you from winning"
So your not familiar with the Devils, Coyotes, Predators or St. Louis? Three out of four of those teams are inferior to us talent-wise, yet their coach is getting more out of them because they all buy into a system designed to depend less on shear talent, but capitalize on opponent mistakes. Its defensively responsible hockey designed to induce turnovers and odd man rushes and thats exactly what we should play when up a goal (or more) in the third.

Stop with the aggressive forecheck crap when playing with a lead. The outlet pass doesn't need to be disrupted cause it just less bodies down ice. You need more bodies in the neutral and defensive zone, not less.

Another thing, the whole team is far too low in the d-zone. No one was anywhere near Gonchar when he scored on the go ahead.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:48 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

This recent loss puts me in "Team Fire Capuano." I think coaching could go a long, long way towards being able to focus enough not to self-destruct with a lead the way they do.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
This recent loss puts me in "Team Fire Capuano." I think coaching could go a long, long way towards being able to focus enough not to self-destruct with a lead the way they do.
I agree 100%. Also, how many deflection goals, some from far outside of the crease, has Nabby given up? Do you see any of the goals scored last night by the Sens go in on Lundqvist or Brodeur? I know there are some Nabby supporters out there but I think he has done a subpar job.

Smith31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:54 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
We are not terrible. Get that through your heads. We are mediocre. There is a big difference. The last few years we were terrible. This team has improved. They are now mediocre.
This team is NOT mediocre. Mediocre teams make the playoffs (the median of 1-15 is 8). The Isles have sucked for so long as a fanbase we have lost sight that THE team in the middle of the top half of the conference, and the bottom half-IS a playoff team.

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:12 PM
smheilbron

im as big a pessimist as they come (that happens being a mets/islanders fan). but enough with the doom and gloom. all of these issues yet theyre 13-13. theyre average, not terrible. We all know they are still 1-2 years from being legit. well they should be....

oh and fire capuano and snow.

smheilbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:14 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Enough with the grammar stuff. Get back on topic.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Get Cappy and Okposo the **** out of here and replace them with a proven coach or even weight and replace KO with Niño and put him with JT and give Boyes okposos spot. Bang problem solved
Please now. Doug Weight, he of no head coaching experience, and 20 year old Nino, he of 2nd year pro coming off of a 1 point season, are not gonna solve everything with a bang. Get real.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

As others have said, "A coach away from the playoffs" and I'd like to think of this season as, "growing pains"

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
As others have said, "A coach away from the playoffs" and I'd like to think of this season as, "growing pains"
Just another notch in a graph trending upwards

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Last night's loss to Ottawa (3/19), was a microcosm of the season. The Isles tease with sporatic great performance, only to come back to earth with their usual ineptness.

JT is doing his usual disappearing act (8 games in March, 4 goals, 2 assists, 2 of those goals in 1 game), at the worst possible moment, as well as Moulson. When your best players don't produce, and Okposo and Bailey are your best perfomers, you know you're in trouble.

Our goaltending has been average at best, Nabokov is brilliant one moment, like a sieve the next, and that can happen in the same game. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he plays in front of our Swiss Cheese defense.

Hamonic has been a huge disappointment, where is the hitting ?, where is the edginess ? He's supposed to be this snarling, mean all around d-man, and yet I'm seeing Okposo out hit him for Pete's sake. MacDonald looked like a future shut down D-man, now he's terrible, and his long stick is just a gimmick. Streit is a pylon. When a scrap heap D-man is your best D-man (Strait), and he's out, that hurts, and shows how bad your defense is.

I can't see this current lineup making the playoffs, just not enough horses, and we can't afford for our top guns to go silent. Not all gloom and doom, I've seen some progress, and I'm excited about our future, BUT, I saw a team last night that just isn't very good, in a VERY important game.
Tavares did not have a good game last night, but come on. Usual disappearing act is 4 goals in 8 games? I wish every player had that kind of disappearing act. Fact is every single player goes through stretches where they're not scoring at their usual pace.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Enough with the grammar stuff. Get back on topic.
That's what I was trying to say, thank you.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:37 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Tavares did not have a good game last night, but come on. Usual disappearing act is 4 goals in 8 games? I wish every player had that kind of disappearing act. Fact is every single player goes through stretches where they're not scoring at their usual pace.
This. JT can not do it on his own...Wang and snows unwillingness to bring skill here makes it all to easy to get double coverage etc on JT and he just doesn't have the help to make it work. Get another superstar other teams will be afraid of and this problem is fixed and JTs line is now better then ever

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:55 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
To add... the personnel on the ice isn't terrible. It's a coaching and front office issue. And for those who doubt that, look at the Columbus Blue Jackets right now.

That team has been HORRIBLE for over a decade now. They get rid of their best player (by far) and they are one of the hottest teams in the league right now. Sure, they got off to a real bad start but there were a good amount of new faces with a 7 day training camp. Now look at them. Reeling off points almost every night. So why after so long do they finally seem to be putting it together? My guess (it's not rocket science)... the complete overhaul in the front office before this season. They completely changed the culture and you can see it. Until that happens here (it won't as long as Wanger is in charge), we will never see this teams full potential.
John Davidson has done wonders in St.Louis and now Columbus.

03-20-2013, 08:04 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
John Davidson has done wonders in St.Louis and now Columbus.
Not to mention what he has done for KFC...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

What I'd hate to see is this team manage to hang around well until the deadline, then go on some kind of 5-10 losing streak after the deadline.

That'd be a real bummer.

Elsewhere I mentioned that Snow can't be without action at the deadline. He either IMPROVES the team or he moves out UFAs who he cannot sign and who can bring something nice back.

Nothing in between will suffice.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Please now. Doug Weight, he of no head coaching experience, and 20 year old Nino, he of 2nd year pro coming off of a 1 point season, are not gonna solve everything with a bang. Get real.
But wouldn't it be cool if we could see if Nino could play better than one point every 8 games if he were on JT's left and Nelson were on the right after we traded Moulson and Boyes?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:34 AM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

We are a management and ownership change away from being a playoff team. Tuesday was a killer. They need 3 of 4 points this weekend, against Montreal and Pitt. I just don't see it. I see a point out of four which will be the deathnail in the 2013 season...

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Exactly right

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

I'll say this, I've never had 1 game change my point of view on a team like that Ottawa game. I went from "wow we can make the playoffs" to "lets sell and get what we can" all in the matter of 20 minutes. Unbelievable

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:01 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

The last 7 games of the year can be the difference bewteen us actually making the 8th seed or could be a bottom 5 team in the league.

Rags, FLA, TOR, WINN, CAR, PHILI, BUFF. This is the last 7 games and these are all teams within a few points of us. Could get interesting but I'm not holding my breath

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
But wouldn't it be cool if we could see if Nino could play better than one point every 8 games if he were on JT's left and Nelson were on the right after we traded Moulson and Boyes?
I honestly believe Nino and Nelson would be an upgrade. Nino would give JT space, which is something Moulson and Boyes can't (or won't) do.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I honestly believe Nino and Nelson would be an upgrade. Nino would give JT space, which is something Moulson and Boyes can't (or won't) do.
Careful....the projected Nino would give JT space. The NHL Nino I saw wouldn't even make it over the blueline without tripping.

The best thing Nelson and Nino have going is they are not being touched this year. No Islander ruination like all their other prospects. Strome didn't get 9 games. Both goalies aren't being Salo/Soderstom/Fichau'd.

Now I am no fan of Moulson playing like a patsy, but he does create offense and he does now and then play a little harder. And being honest, Boyes has the past few games shown his game of old.

They both have to be solid to draw defensive coverage from JT and they might do it, but last game the key pivot looked flat. Moulson wasn't helping. Boyes DID look better. Maybe we just have to be patient and hope Bailey and Okposo can carry their weight {and do it SMARTER now....not staying out too long}.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
IslesNorway

With a good coach this team could reach the playoffs but with Capuano they won't

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:40 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
With a good coach this team could reach the playoffs but with Capuano they won't
I wouldn't rule it out....Cappy coaches haaaahhhhdddd.