HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League LVIII

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Catamarca Livin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Interesting random note....

New York Rangers.........32 points in 29 games
Columbus Blue Jackets...30 points in 30 games

(re: Rick Nash trade).
Rick Nash has always been given too much press for being a game decider. I prefer James Neal as an all around player over Nash. If Nash was an elite player his team's would show it. Columbus made the playoffs once in his tenure. Iginla at least got his team close. Wingers need centers.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Interesting random note....

New York Rangers.........32 points in 29 games
Columbus Blue Jackets...30 points in 30 games

(re: Rick Nash trade).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Rick Nash has always been given too much press for being a game decider. I prefer James Neal as an all around player over Nash. If Nash was an elite player his team's would show it. Columbus made the playoffs once in his tenure. Iginla at least got his team close. Wingers need centers.
Considering Nash has 10 goals, 24 points and is +10 in 25 games, somehow I don't think that illustrates anything. They have **** 3rd and 4th lines, and are getting abysmal years out of Richards and Gaborik. Plus consider how injured their defense is.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Considering Nash has 10 goals, 24 points and is +10 in 25 games, somehow I don't think that illustrates anything. They have **** 3rd and 4th lines, and are getting abysmal years out of Richards and Gaborik. Plus consider how injured their defense is.
Perhaps what they gave up to get Nash resulted in this. eg., they "fixed" one hole but created other(s).

Old
03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Perhaps what they gave up to get Nash resulted in this. eg., they "fixed" one hole but created other(s).
Yeah, I was more so replying to Catamarca Livin's post, rather than yours. Nash has been a difference maker in NY, it's hard to argue otherwise.

I don't know that you can blame him for the Rangers not filling their holes adequately or their D getting injured. They also clearly overestimated where Chris Kreider was in his development.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
Quote:
That's how I see it, last year the Rangers relied on 3 solid line contributing. Along with guys like Prust and Boyle contributing with solid physical play along with blocking shots and all the intangibles. The losses of Dubinsky, Anisimov, Prust and the lackluster play of Boyle has really set the team back. It also doesn't help when guys like Gaborik and Richards are playing nowhere near 7 million dollar players. I think the Rangers will turn it around at some point, but they aren't as good as they were last year.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Yeah, I was more so replying to Catamarca Livin's post, rather than yours. Nash has been a difference maker in NY, it's hard to argue otherwise.

I don't know that you can blame him for the Rangers not filling their holes adequately or their D getting injured. They also clearly overestimated where Chris Kreider was in his development.
I'm not so sure they're actually that much better off to be honest - but then again, I'll admit I haven't watched them all that closely. I could be out to lunch but I've said this elsewhere that perhaps they needed to get a high end offensive defenseman for their blueline rather than a player like Nash.

As well, signing Brad Richards to that deal was questionable to say the least. But then again, Sather is known for way overspending on UFAs.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:22 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Nash has done his job. But Nash takes time from other players an worsens their numbers ie Gaborik. It also gutted their depth.

I'm not sure we'd get full value from Iginla for the same reasons. for every 3 points he'd bring we're going to lose 2 ie put Iginla with the Sedins: Burrows ES production drops, Kesler's PP production disappears. Otoh we'd get far more value from another centre, improve 2nd pp unit and enhance ES production.

Last edited by me2: 03-20-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
@News1130Sports:

Quote:
Edmonton Forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins leaves rink, not feeling well. Scratched for Oilers/Sharks game tonight in Edmonton. #oilers #NHL

awww, poor Nuge

Old
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Catamarca Livin

I guess Nash is getting his stats and the team is still not playing well. I do not like building team with a high priced winger. I do think Nash is overrated, he is a big guy who scores goals. That is great but i still do not see him as a leader, or a winner. When you get paid like he does you are expected to be able to make a positive difference. His stats show he is doing a lot so i could be off base, but Columbus improving without him is not a major surprise to me.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:10 PM
vanwest

Kadri with two assists so far. 29 points in his 30th game.
Who saw that coming?

Edit: 30 points now.

Last edited by vanwest: 03-20-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Kadri with two assists so far. 29 points in his 30th game.
Who saw that coming?
Don Cherry.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Just another pawn

Tampa needs goaltending.

edit: They really....really need goaltending.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another pawn View Post
Tampa needs goaltending.
Lindback lets the 1st shot in.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
I guess Nash is getting his stats and the team is still not playing well. I do not like building team with a high priced winger. I do think Nash is overrated, he is a big guy who scores goals. That is great but i still do not see him as a leader, or a winner. When you get paid like he does you are expected to be able to make a positive difference. His stats show he is doing a lot so i could be off base, but Columbus improving without him is not a major surprise to me.
not surprising given he cb dumped a 60-65 point producer.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:34 PM
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

vCash: 419
when is Tampa going get a real number 1 starting goalie that don't suck?

Old
03-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
when is Tampa going get a real number 1 starting goalie that don't suck?
When they fire Yzerman. Unfortunately it might be too late by the time that happens as Martin St. Louis doesn't have a ton of years left in the tank.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
When they fire Yzerman. Unfortunately it might be too late by the time that happens as Martin St. Louis doesn't have a ton of years left in the tank.
I doubt he gets fired any time soon. He's a "name guy" that carries a lot of respect around the league. Not an easy decision.

It's interesting to see teams that had clear Goaltending issues go into the season defiant on resolving them, or choosing cheaper more suspect options, only to have their season sunk directly because of their poor goaltending. It's about as predictive as you can get.

FLA, TBay, PHI and even WSH. Perhaps more. Maybe TOR depending on how they go. A big upgrade in net gets them in the playoffs. Ride out suspect goaltending, and they are all out or are in danger of being out.

Of course, I say this knowing Luongo/Schneider haven't been lights out this year over all. Still, a big drop off between them and what others are fielding in net.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:46 PM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
I don't know. I'm not sold on the fact that Lindback isn't an NHL starter. I know he's having a horrid year, but his team's depth isn't great either. And that D scares nobody. That Matt Carle contract will haunt them for years.

I think there are a lot of anomalies in a shortened year (anyone else remember Zhamnov finishing 5 points off of the league lead in 94-95?). I don't think it behooves GMs to make gigantic sweeping changes if they're only basing it on a situation where everything is out of sync. Some players are fitter than others, there are tons of injuries, etc.

Old
arsmaster

Kronwall with another ***** hit tonight.

Got 4min penalty.

I have no problem with him baiting guys but skating backwards with the upwards thrust is intent to injure IMO.

Hit Coyle right in the head.

Shanny won't suspend him though.

Old
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
I got in a major fight with Tampa fans on the main board. I compared Yzermans inability to address the teams goaltending issue to Burke as Vancouvers GM, they told me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Eeek. So if you had the choice right now between the Canucks adding Neal or Nash, without a cap hit, you'd take Neal?

Old
03-20-2013, 09:05 PM
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

vCash: 419
damn detriot losing to Wild........I guess we don't care about division title anymore....

Old
03-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
damn detriot losing to Wild........I guess we don't care about division title anymore....
Our divisional rival is winning a game against a different team than us which implies the Canucks do not care about the divisional title any more? Okay...

Old
03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Doughty's comments on Phoenix last night. Not sure where to put this:

Via Hoven, Doughty said:
Quote:
“I think one is that they like to whine a lot. At times they remind me of Vancouver with their complaining and stuff like that…I don’t know if it’s one single guy or anything like that. It kind of seems like a whole team kind of thing. All teams whine, all teams complain, it just seems like this team, especially against us…Seem to do it every night. So that’s what frustrates you, and they play you hard, and they’re tough to play against. So that also is what bugs you.”
Wait, are the Vancouver Canucks the whiners or the divers or the diving whiners? We’re really having a tough time keeping up with the accusations…
Quite the obsession with the Canucks. Cup winner and butt hurt. I wish he'd actually man up once and back up his trash talk instead of getting others to fight for him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5664--nhl.html

Old
03-20-2013, 09:12 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
Our divisional rival is winning a game against a different team than us which implies the Canucks do not care about the divisional title any more? Okay...
Yup. Totally plausible

Closed Thread