HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Flyers to break bank over Giroux extension

Old
03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500

Quote:
According to John Boruk, host over at Comcast SportsNet Philly, the Flyers are about to go all in on captain Claude Giroux.

His tweet from Monday: “You can draw up the contract right now, but Giroux will get 71-72 million over 8 years. It’s just a matter of when it gets done.”
http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/03/20...oux-extension/

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
He can't sign until next year I thought?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:12 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Don't sign it - we all know what happens to our Flyers and extension, they hit the beach

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Papa Voracek

Yea, Boruk sources also said Nashville wasn't going to match the Weber offersheet. I dont think it is going to be that much because he would be a RFA.

Papa Voracek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Voracek View Post
Yea, Boruk sources also said Nashville wasn't going to match the Weber offersheet. I dont think it is going to be that much because he would be a RFA.
Also said Bobby Ryan was going to be a Ranger last year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Eh, I don't think he has any sources. I think he's just taking a reasonable guess.

I know others disagree, but I believe Giroux's cap hit will come in slightly above the Getzlaf / Perry extensions. That would put him in the 8/70 range, which is basically all Boruk is predicting.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:24 PM
ayshplaysh

Sounds about right...

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:27 PM
YuioIklo

I'd sure take him at any price, but I hope it will be under 8M, seriously. Such big cap hits really hurt teams. I hope Giroux will consider that and take a little discount to let the team management more options, so the team can be better. He won't starve if he gets 6-7M a year...

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I would say this is a prediction and he's just adding sources to it. The Philly media are such clowns. I wish we could have at least one of them be like Bob McKenzie.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Papa Voracek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Eh, I don't think he has any sources. I think he's just taking a reasonable guess.

I know others disagree, but I believe Giroux's cap hit will come in slightly above the Getzlaf / Perry extensions. That would put him in the 8/70 range, which is basically all Boruk is predicting.
I guess i'm just hoping it wont be that much, its going to kill us cap wise. Also this is making me love the Simmonds and Voracek contracts more.

Papa Voracek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:31 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I'd sure take him at any price, but I hope it will be under 8M, seriously. Such big cap hits really hurt teams. I hope Giroux will consider that and take a little discount to let the team management more options, so the team can be better. He won't starve if he gets 6-7M a year...
Players are always going to at least ask for the highest value that they can get, and I have no problem with them doing it. It's the GM's job to determine if they're worth it or not. You can sit there and say, "why don't they just take less?", but it's still a lot of money that he would be leaving on the table. Taking just 1-2 million a year off a contract that stretches over 8-10 years could be as much as 20 million dollars. That is an incredible amount of money to leave on the table just to insure that the team could maybe upgrade in just one position on the ice.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Jtown

That contract would ruin the flyers. Only one player in the league is worth that money.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:36 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Why should he take less when he sees others getting more? Keep in mind we're also fresh out of a lockout, not a strike but a situation where his boss and 29 others cost the players over half a season. Why should he or any other player take less?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:38 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Players are always going to at least ask for the highest value that they can get, and I have no problem with them doing it. It's the GM's job to determine if they're worth it or not. You can sit there and say, "why don't they just take less?", but it's still a lot of money that he would be leaving on the table. Taking just 1-2 million a year off a contract that stretches over 8-10 years could be as much as 20 million dollars. That is an incredible amount of money to leave on the table just to insure that the team could maybe upgrade in just one position on the ice.
That's a lot of money, sure, but when you still have a 50 millions contract, do you care that much? Who needs 70M in his life? It may be a mentality question, I don't know, I personnally wouldn't want multi-millions even if they were free so... but I still think a player should value winning more than "extra millions". Isn't hockey their life?

Old
03-20-2013, 09:40 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Why should he take less when he sees others getting more? Keep in mind we're also fresh out of a lockout, not a strike but a situation where his boss and 29 others cost the players over half a season. Why should he or any other player take less?
I'm not saying he should, but he could and that would be smart, because it would help the team to win, which is the ultimate goal.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That contract would ruin the flyers. Only one player in the league is worth that money.
No it wouldn't. The best players are going to get close to $10 million a year now that the cap circumventing deals like Parise's and Kovalchuk's have been outlawed

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Go For It

If Giroux's next contract carries a cap hit this high, then we REALLY need to find some young defencemen on cheap ELCs or RFA deals to plug into our lineup. We can't continue to have one of (if not the) most expensive blue lines in the league, especially at their level of production.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:43 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
No it wouldn't. The best players are going to get close to $10 million a year now that the cap circumventing deals like Parise's and Kovalchuk's have been outlawed
And it will hurt teams. These players will be way less valuable because of it. How many players is there that we can say : he's good, but I wouldn't take that horrible contract? A lot.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Then trade him if that is the case, he will never live up to that contract.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:46 PM
martz11

Maybe he won't want to stay? A lot can happen in a years time. I also thought Lindros would retire a Flyer. Just some food for thought.

martz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:49 PM
MountainHawk

$8.75M cap hit seems about right to me.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
nuclear reactor

Well is it 71 or 72?

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
He's got a better chance of living up to that kind of deal than Getzlaf does. $8m plus is the going rate for #1 centers now. Get used to it.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
That's the new normal for an elite talent, and, to be fair, we've had Giroux on a steal of a contract for a few years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Well is it 71 or 72?
He can't be extended right now. Boruk is just speculating (or, if you're feeling generous, reporting) on possible extension numbers.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
If Giroux's next contract carries a cap hit this high, then we REALLY need to find some young defencemen on cheap ELCs or RFA deals to plug into our lineup. We can't continue to have one of (if not the) most expensive blue lines in the league, especially at their level of production.
Timonen will be gone in 2014-15 when Giroux's next contract kicks in. Maybe Bryz and his $5.67m cap hit will be, too.