HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will people lighten up on Kulemin now?

Old
03-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Ruski

vCash: 500
Will people lighten up on Kulemin now?

I don't start too many thread, but seen a good bunch of Leafs faithful really rag on Kulemin over the first 30 games.

I won't get into the whole argument that he is a great 2-way forward, etc. I think that still the concensus, but what i do want to talk about is that he still has a chance to become a regular 25-30 goal scorer for the next 6-10 years!

Please note i am saying "has a chance", so not guaranteeing that it will happen but what i see in Kulemin is:

1) Effort - Can't fault the guy for working hard on every shift.

2) He tends to be in the right place when he doesn't have the puck; both offensively & defensively. - This is almost impossible to teach this late in a players career but i feel that he puts himself in a position to succeed more often than not.

3) Although his hands have seemed just a tad too slow this year, when it all clicks for him, the moves and release are still there. - Case and point tonight and saturday. His play in KHL during lockout was also impressive. Obviously playing with some guy named Malkin did help.

Anyway, trying not to over analyse here just hoping we don't trade him as these are the guys i believe we need to be successful down the road. He won't "create" for you every night but if we ever get a #1 center and Kadri grows into a superb #2, Kulemin can become a permanent member of the 2nd line with the ability to fill-in on top line.

Your thoughts?

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

People just like to disregard every aspect of his game other than his lack of production.

I would disregard their opinions.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Drew311
Play Me

The only people that complain about Kulemin are the ones that always need something to complain about.

He is paid perfectly for what he brings to the table.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Al14

Trade him now. Value is up since he scored tonight!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
KuleminFan41

People will only complain that its"just a couple games" however, if it was a rough patch for a couple games you'll never hear the end of it

Can't win no matter what happens

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
people just like to disregard every aspect of his game other than his lack of production.

I would disregard their opinions.
100%

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

He's doing everything right except score.

And he has begun to score, or so I hope.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
People will only complain that its"just a couple games" however, if it was a rough patch for a couple games you'll never hear the end of it

Can't win no matter what happens
Really? I think I'm like most fans who value Kulemin as a 2-way 2nd or 3rd line forward but don't expect him to replicate his 30-goal season again.

The trade mutter is simply to upgrade our position, either on the wing or on our blue line, and I think most fans would agree to trade Macarthur long before Kulemin.

I don't see many fans disliking Kulemin, but don't go getting an excited just because he scored a couple goals and think he's untouchable, or irreplaceable, now.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

5 goals on the season.

Through an 82 game season:
14 goals, 30 assists, 44 points.

Not bad at all, especially since he was playing in a shutdown role the whole season, with no main distributor of the puck to him.

Old
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Might have 2 gino's tonight!

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
It's 2 Goals for him tonight! EXTENSION!!! NOW!!

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Everlong
-

I actually question his effort many nights. He seems to 'up' his level of compete depending on how the team as a whole is playing. I don't expect 30 goals ever again. Even 20 would be a nice surprise. He is what he is. A bottom 6 two-way forward. Nothing wrong with that and he'll be a solid support player for a playoff run.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:52 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Frankly if we just forget that he ever scored 30 goals he'd get a lot less criticism. He had one of those years, no need to make that the expectation you constantly compare him to.

Just looking at what Kulemin brings, there is a lot to like. Long as he's contributing in some way I'm fine with him.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
TRP

A Lot are probably the same people who complain that Steen was given up on too early.

TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:54 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Haters gonna hate

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Duffman955

I have always thought he was playing good this whole season.

Not his fault that grabo hogs the puck like nobody's business.

Got him with a puck distributer and now he is playing like a top 6

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:55 PM
G51 K81*

He is a goal scoring machine now, 5 mill per, 5 years

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

To add what I said above, if Kulemin had a bit of PP time or a player like Kadri dishing him passes he could definitely hit 55ish points in a full season.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Ruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
To add what I said above, if Kulemin had a bit of PP time or a player like Kadri dishing him passes he could definitely hit 55ish points in a full season.
Exactly, power play time with a creative guy like Kadri would be huge and i forgot to mention but other did that his contract is very appropriate which is huge!

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Jerkini

Looking more and more like Grabovski's been holding him back all this time.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:42 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

He never should've been getting criticism to begin with. He and McClement have launched our PK to #3, he's on pace for 40ish points, and is top ten in the league in shot blocking. This has been a consistent thing all year, people don't notice the little things and complain.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:44 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
He's doing everything right except score.

And he has begun to score, or so I hope.
Put him in a line with Kadri and let the magic begin. He needs to play with a playmaking center/someone with good vision.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
seanlinden

I just don't see why anyone would be motivated to move him.

He's not going to be a 25+ guy, but he doesn't need to be. He makes $2.35m, and is an effective checking line forward. As shown tonight, he seems to be capable of being a threat in the top 6, on occasion.

If the Leafs are looking at Kessel, JvR, Lupul and Frattin as their top 6 wingers next year, Nikolai Kulemin is EXACTLY the player they want on the 3rd line. A guy who can play the checking role, but when somebody gets hurt and a guy Komarov has to step up in the lineup, Kulemin can fill in on a scoring line.

Toronto's got some things to mix up going forward, but the wing is probably the position that requires the least amount of tinkering. It seems that MacArthur's time is running out, they'll need a utility forward so that Komarov can be viewed as a 4th liner when everyone is healthy... and that's pretty much it. Biggs & Ashton should provide the neccessary waiver-exempt depth.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:52 PM
KAVORKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
I don't start too many thread, but seen a good bunch of Leafs faithful really rag on Kulemin over the first 30 games.

I won't get into the whole argument that he is a great 2-way forward, etc. I think that still the concensus, but what i do want to talk about is that he still has a chance to become a regular 25-30 goal scorer for the next 6-10 years!

Please note i am saying "has a chance", so not guaranteeing that it will happen but what i see in Kulemin is:

1) Effort - Can't fault the guy for working hard on every shift.

2) He tends to be in the right place when he doesn't have the puck; both offensively & defensively. - This is almost impossible to teach this late in a players career but i feel that he puts himself in a position to succeed more often than not.

3) Although his hands have seemed just a tad too slow this year, when it all clicks for him, the moves and release are still there. - Case and point tonight and saturday. His play in KHL during lockout was also impressive. Obviously playing with some guy named Malkin did help.

Anyway, trying not to over analyse here just hoping we don't trade him as these are the guys i believe we need to be successful down the road. He won't "create" for you every night but if we ever get a #1 center and Kadri grows into a superb #2, Kulemin can become a permanent member of the 2nd line with the ability to fill-in on top line.

Your thoughts?
Great post! I'm hoping we can lock him up for 3-4 years. He is the type of player we would miss immediately if he was traded

KAVORKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:53 PM
thecatch22

I think he will thrive on this line with Lupul and Kadri. He's playing with far and away the teams best center and second best (arguable) winger.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote