HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Study on feasability of return of MLB to MTL (UPD Post #70)

Old
03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Study on feasability of return of MLB to MTL (UPD Post #70)

http://www.rds.ca/baseball/mlb/de-l-...%A9al-1.599637

Title.

A 400,000$ study paid for half and a half by a group of local businessmen and the MCC.

Will survey general public and businesses.

Opinion polling will be done by Leger Marketing and the study is handled by Ernst & Young.

Study includes a survey of potential stadium locations around town.

Also says that should a new stadium be built, it would be done entirely with private funds.

Finally says the MLB had a positive attitude when Warren Cromartie, who is leading Projet Baseball Montreal, approached them about a possible return to Montreal.

Last edited by Phil Parent: 12-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:07 PM
DJ Breadman

vCash: 500
Awesome, I loved the expos and wished they never left, although I'm not from Montreal

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
DAChampion

It takes a billionaire to pony up.

Honestly, I suspect this US just propaganda so that someone can get a government subsidy to in the Expos.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:27 PM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

I would love the Expos to come back to Montreal with a decent stadium near the core, instead of the east end.

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:47 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Not sure if I could fall in love with a team like I did with the Expos. Either way, I'd absolutely love a team in Montreal.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:00 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I'd love another Canadian team.. But my Jays would still come first!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Alexdaman

Youppi might just be in for some heavy contract negotiations.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I'd love another Canadian team.. But my Jays would still come first!
I'm a Yankees fan first (in my defense, my father had season tickets growing up), but the Expos would easily go back to being my second/national league team. The Big O was the first baseball stadium I went to outside of NY after all...and yes I was shocked when I finally discovered there are good baseball stadiums out there.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Alexdaman

I was just looking at a the list of MLB stadiums trying to find something in the range of capacity and price a team in Montreal could afford.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNC_Park

We could definitely go 280M$.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
deandebean

Not sure about this one...

Baseball was not viable back then. Why would it be now? Montreal is just not a real sports town. The Als get collegiate division II crowds, the Impact can't fill up a 20 000 seat stadium regularly...people tend to forget that during summer time, most suburbanites (which are the real clients) leave town or just don't want to spend time in the city during the week. Yes, the stadium is a quick fix. But it doesn't last.

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed: baseball is NOT as popular as it used to be across the US.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Love this initiative! Kuddos to the guys for doing this.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I don't think it will ever happen, but if MLB comes back to Montreal I'd move there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I think a billionaire owner is required and I don't see much hope of finding one willing to invest in the return of the Expos.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:38 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

ZzzzzzZzzzZZzzZzzzz....

Just like the Nordiques coming back.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:44 PM
LeHab

Fans will still find excuses not to attend games unless we are a playoff team.

This is not a baseball town, sorry.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Fans will still find excuses not to attend games unless we are a playoff team.

This is not a baseball town, sorry.

The same can be said for 2/3rds of MLB, but only one team in recent memory was chased out of town.

Loria is doing no better in Miami than Montreal, if you drive a team into a ground people don't show up. Even Yankee Stadium is empty when the team is losing.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The same can be said for 2/3rds of MLB, but only one team in recent memory was chased out of town.

Loria is doing no better in Miami than Montreal, if you drive a team into a ground people don't show up. Even Yankee Stadium is empty when the team is losing.
Sure attendance goes down when a team is not performing but Montreal was last in 90's and 00's. Hard to attract local investors under such conditions.

http://miscbaseball.wordpress.com/20...ow-attendance/

Loria got involved simple because he knew he could buy for cheap and sell in a few years with a profit. The team had good/decent attendance records before 90's but it seems to me like most got tired of having an underperfoming team.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Some look to 1994 as the demise of the expos. That was probably another nail in the coffin, but you could see the beginning of the end was when bronfman was trying to sell the team in the 80's, and it took him a very long time to find a buyer, and it was at a bargain price.

When expos had stable ownership, they were getting crowds of over 2 million, which is excellent.

The thing with baseball is that the stadium is half the experience. I live close enough to seattle that I understand the importance of a beautiful open air stadium, and what it can do. The big O was ghastly and uninviting, so you have already lost half the battle with a terrible stadium and the other half was defeated when the ownership was no longer stable. This carries a big burden that fans generally don't want to deal with.

If you can find some really deep pockets, which can provide the foundation for stable ownership and actually build a stadium that doesn't suck, the fans will respond. BTW, The Impact were 3rd in attendance last year, for those that think they don't draw well.

Baseball doesn't need every seat filled. You will be able to count on one hand how many teams sell out most games. If you can hit 20,000 on low nights and 35,000-40,000 on good nights, you're actually doing quite well, given that the business community invests(and this aspect is much more important than the attendance, to be honest). Hell, the blue jays have been far below this standard for many years now, but they have still been kicking.

Its worth a study, definitely... especially with the appreciation of the canadian dollar since they last moved.

Last edited by Hackett: 03-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:22 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Some look to 1994 as the demise of the expos. That was probably another nail in the coffin, but you could see the beginning of the end was when bronfman was trying to sell the team in the 80's, and it took him a very long time to find a buyer, and it was at a bargain price.

When expos had stable ownership, they were getting crowds of over 2 million, which is excellent.

The thing with baseball is that the stadium is half the experience. I live close enough to seattle that I understand the importance of a beautiful open air stadium, and what it can do. The big O was ghastly and uninviting, so you have already lost half the battle with a terrible stadium and the other half was defeated when the ownership was no longer stable. This carries a big burden that fans generally don't want to deal with.

If you can find some really deep pockets, which can provide the foundation for stable ownership and actually build a stadium that doesn't suck, the fans will respond. BTW, The Impact were 3rd in attendance last year, for those that think they don't draw well.

Baseball doesn't need every seat filled. You will be able to count on one hand how many teams sell out every game. If you can hit 20,000 on low nights and 35,000-40,000 on good nights, you're actually doing quite well, given that the business community invests(and this aspect is much more important than the attendance, to be honest). Hell, the blue jays have been far below this standard for many years now, but they have still been kicking.

Its worth a study, definitely... especially with the appreciation of the canadian dollar since they last moved.
This. +1 .

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Et le But

Don't forget the Canadian dollar in the late 80s/early 90s scared off all investment which helped start the ownership problem. Some of the same forces that lead to the Expos slow death killed the Nordiques and Jets, and came close to killing pretty much every team in Canada. Before the Canadian dollar started to appreciate, conventional wisdom stated the Jets would never come back either.

But yeah, the problem is, especially with the Expos gone right now, you need a very rich and very committed ownership group. I agree, half of baseball is about going to the stadium. The Nationals only exist because of their stadium - not that it stands out in any way, but it's a modern open air stadium.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Clumsyhab

If they play at the Olympic stadium, I would go to 1-2 games a year. If they built a stadium near downtown, I could see myself going to 5-10 games easily.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I don't want public fund touching any of this.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I don't want public fund touching any of this.
Exactly my thoughts. You can't ask taxpayers to pay for a stadium (or arena for Quebec City) when Quebec is broke, corrupt, and receiving 8 billion a year in equalization payments.

1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Habs Junkie

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and what this city needs is a new stadium. And I know the best location for it. Just give me the 400k and I'll tell you.

All jokes aside, I drive by the hippodrome every day and a stadium there will be perfect! It's in the Center of everything if you consider Laval, East End, South Shore, West Island etc...

If they demolish the hippodrome and build a new stadium, they should build it in a way that it can have football, soccer, baseball and the annual Canadiens Classic

Throw Evenko in the mix, have some sick concerts, cirque du Soleil, wrestlemania maybe. The possibilities are endless!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:52 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately and what this city needs is a new stadium. And I know the best location for it. Just give me the 400k and I'll tell you.

All jokes aside, I drive by the hippodrome every day and a stadium there will be perfect! It's in the Center of everything if you consider Laval, East End, South Shore, West Island etc...

If they demolish the hippodrome and build a new stadium, they should build it in a way that it can have football, soccer, baseball and the annual Canadiens Classic

Throw Evenko in the mix, have some sick concerts, cirque du Soleil, wrestlemania maybe. The possibilities are endless!
That would be nice but been told from people I know in real estate that this land will be for condos and townhouses. The city can reap more from this than having to redevelop the whole area to fit 50 thousand people attending baseball or concerts.

How would the crowd leave? Its a nice dream but transportation wise its a nightmare and this would cost the government a fortune in congestion.

You have to remember that Decarie is the core of the city and any congestion on there will back up the 40, 20 and bridges.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
coolasprICE

On that note, I would **** my pants if they do decide to build a stadium on that land...

I can walk there in 20 minutes.

Just picturing myself early sunny sunday summer afternoon walking with an Orange julep in hands and my old expo fans buddies to the front gates.

Dream come true.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote