HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Flyers to break bank over Giroux extension

Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
There's going to be even more parity in the league with this CBA. If your team has lots of talent it will probably be paid enough that they'll struggle to get good depth players; so there will be more of those players to be had for other teams who can't afford a lot of talent.

What concerns me is the Flyers are a team with lots of talent that will probably need to be paid. If they want solid depth, they better get prospects to develop.

03-20-2013, 09:00 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Giroux hasn't proven more then Getzlaf or Perry. Giroux had a very similar year to Getzlaf's career year last year and Perry has had a better year under his belt then both of them. Let alone a Ring for each of them. I'm not ok with the 2nd highest cap hit n the league to only Ovechkin after seeing what has happened to him. Not saying that that will but unless Giroux has another year like last year before this contract is up he doesn't deserve more then 8.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.660m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.851m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,424,667; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $5,887,833
Obviously some of the guys there won't be around, some will need raises, and hopefully we will have some ELCs to plug in, but for those worried about the $8.75 number, there's plenty of room there, even if we end up keeping Bryzgalov long-term.

- Timonen will likely not be back after next year. His money would presumably go toward a top-pairing UFA, unless we can manage to draft and develop one.

- Barring some improvement, Mezsaros is likely gone, and his minutes filled by an ELC.

- Couturier and Schenn will need raises, though Schenn's cap hit shouldn't go up much from that $3.1 number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Giroux hasn't proven more then Getzlaf or Perry. Giroux had a very similar year to Getzlaf's career year last year and Perry has had a better year under his belt then both of them. Let alone a Ring for each of them. I'm not ok with the 2nd highest cap hit n the league to only Ovechkin after seeing what has happened to him. Not saying that that will but unless Giroux has another year like last year before this contract is up he doesn't deserve more then 8.
Under the old CBA, you'd be right. But that's simply not the case. Take the first 8 years of M. Richard's extension (which wasn't front loaded). I think the AAV is something near 7, and he hadn't done nearly as much as Giroux has at this point.

The contract limit will dramatically increase AAVs. Take whatever yo thought Giroux was going to cost, and add $1-2 million per year.

That's not G being greedy. That's just the new reality. There is going to be a much bigger gap between the cap hits of superstars and the cap hits of good players.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

It will probably be an 8 year deal that takes him till he is 34.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:06 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Giroux doesnt deserve more money than Getzlaf or Perry. $7.5m sounds about right to me

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:17 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Giroux doesnt deserve more money than Getzlaf or Perry. $7.5m sounds about right to me
Agree.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Like the rest have said, giroux should not be making more than getzlaf and perry. This would be another horrible cap move for the flyers and would keep them in the situations that they always get themselves in regarding cap space.

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Ummm you guys do realize multiple sources have said the cap could be up to 90M, yes you read that right, in 3-4 years. The cap is going to keep rising after next season, don't sweat G's contract. It's the least of our worries.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:45 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Why should he take less when he sees others getting more? Keep in mind we're also fresh out of a lockout, not a strike but a situation where his boss and 29 others cost the players over half a season. Why should he or any other player take less?
And a long term deal with a home town discount sure doesn't get you any guarantees (see Messrs. Richards and Carter). So if I was Claude Giroux I would get as much as the market and the Flyers would bear, certainly in the range of Getzlaf and/or Perry. This is the rep you get as a franchise when you sign a Carter to a long term deal with a discount and an eventual no trade (no movement?) clause and then trade him somewhere just before the clause kicks in.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:46 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Ummm you guys do realize multiple sources have said the cap could be up to 90M, yes you read that right, in 3-4 years. The cap is going to keep rising after next season, don't sweat G's contract. It's the least of our worries.
If that's the case, what's the point in even having a cap then? That's an absurd number. I think some of the budget clubs would have a harder time hitting the basement than the wealthier clubs would have staying under the cap.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Rocky Raccoon

8 years, $64 million. Get it done!

Rocky Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
No, can't say I've read any of those sources. Do you have links? Since the vast majority of that income would be generated by 3-4 franchises, a huge chunk of the league would be left in the dirt and likely incapable of spending to the floor.

If the cap goes up even faster, than the last lockout was entirely pointless. I don't know off the top of my head how fast it's supposed to go up now, but I'm pretty sure they wanted to slow down the cap increases.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:49 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would say this is a prediction and he's just adding sources to it. The Philly media are such clowns. I wish we could have at least one of them be like Bob McKenzie.
Bill Meltzer is as respectable as they get in hockey media in my mind. Too bad we have morons like Tim Pannaccio feeding us crap, and knowing less about the sport than probably about 90% of the posters on this board.

Too bad it's evidently all politics, as they don't really care about having guys who are actually knowledgable about the sport they're covering.

As for the extension. I'm expecting it to be around the 8 mark.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:49 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, can't say I've read any of those sources. Do you have links? Since the vast majority of that income would be generated by 3-4 franchises, a huge chunk of the league would be left in the dirt and likely incapable of spending to the floor.
Wow, I've seen numerous articles on it since the beginning of the lockout. James Mirtle just said it a few days ago I will try to find a link. Wyshynski put on article out on it today but he stated that number wouldn't be reached till about 2020, but I've read other articles stating it could be a lot closer than 2020.

EDIT: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7029575/

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3302--nhl.html

I stand corrected, the 90M number is around 2020. It's projections though, but the point is the cap is going to keep increasing.

Last edited by SchennSational1022*: 03-20-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Wow, I've seen numerous articles on it since the beginning of the lockout. James Mirtle just said it a few days ago I will try to find a link. Wyshynski put on article out on it today but he stated that number wouldn't be reached till about 2020, but I've read other articles stating it could be a lot closer than 2020.

Unless they've made revenue sharing a certain percentage of the total income instead of the 200ish million I think I saw a couple months back, this would leave the poor franchises even worse off than they are now in terms of overextending themselves just to qualify for sharing that won't be enough.

Edit: Actually, I don't think it's even 200 million. It's probably far, far less than that. Which makes the situation worse.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

EDIT: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7029575/
It looks like they expect league value to double in a decade. I'm not sure how that can happen without an absolutely fantastic new TV deal

Old
03-20-2013, 09:56 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
It looks like they expect league value to double in a decade. I'm not sure how that can happen without an absolutely fantastic new TV deal
I know, but my point was the cap is going to dramatically increase. Check out wyshynskis piece saying players could be receiving 14 million cap hits ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3302--nhl.html

Old
03-20-2013, 10:00 PM
hockeyfreak7

I don't like it. His cap hit should be in the 7.5-8m range. In eight years, who the hell knows if he will be worth $9m? Seven years ago, Paul Stastny was a PPG player, and he got paid like one. How does that contract look now? I love G as much as the next, but this is now a time where we can't artificially lower the cap hit, so let's have some discretion. Why not play hardball and sign a 8.5m+ deal for only three years?

Que the "well, another team will just give him seven years" argument. Yeah, okay, and if he signs an offersheet, then we match, but I'm not prepared to give him eight years at a $9m cap hit with no negotiation. Three years at $9m? Sure.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2705
Quote:
In a decade, the NHL will have a new TV deal.

03-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
In a decade, the NHL will have a new TV deal.
And if it fuels growth like that there's reason to be concerned. Unless I've missed something, I've not seen revenue sharing as a percentage that allows the amount to increase with revenue, but as a flat dollar amount with a small "growth" deal to accompany it. If it's a mostly flat amount, it will be woefully inadequate to cover the losses franchises will incur just to reach the salary floor. Anyways, back to Giroux.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:09 PM
MP92

That's pretty much what I expected.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Flyers845

He should stick to just looking in a mirror.

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Bill Meltzer is as respectable as they get in hockey media in my mind. Too bad we have morons like Tim Pannaccio feeding us crap, and knowing less about the sport than probably about 90% of the posters on this board.

Too bad it's evidently all politics, as they don't really care about having guys who are actually knowledgable about the sport they're covering.

As for the extension. I'm expecting it to be around the 8 mark.
Yeah I like him. His name didn't even enter my mind when thinking that. I was mainly referring to Timmy P, Frank Seravalli, and Howard Eskin when I said that.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:36 PM
The Couturier Effect

Is Boruk trying to become the next Eklund?

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:42 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
There's going to be even more parity in the league with this CBA. If your team has lots of talent it will probably be paid enough that they'll struggle to get good depth players; so there will be more of those players to be had for other teams who can't afford a lot of talent.

What concerns me is the Flyers are a team with lots of talent that will probably need to be paid. If they want solid depth, they better get prospects to develop.
DON'T STOP THE PARITY!!!

I really don't like where this is going with Giroux. First the captaincy then the thought of a cap-smashing contract.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote