Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Standing pat this year

Old
03-20-2013, 12:44 AM
fatschoonerrat

vCash: 500
Standing pat this year

Okay, so there's a lot of talk about dumping players for picks/prospects, picking up players... What if we just kept the team we have now, made a run at the playoffs and kept building from within?

Sure, we want to make a run. But would you rather take a run this year as is and keep our cupboards stocked or pinch away at our draft picks for, what, Morrow? Or keep improving slowly and be a perennial playoff team? I realize we could trade a defenseman for a forward without raiding the cupboards, but what does that really do for us?

Injuries happen. Getting Enstrom back doesn't mean, knock on wood, someone else won't go down.

It's less exciting to think about than making a trade, but what do you think about our team as it is today moving forward without making a big splash around the deadline?

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:54 AM
fitzy0019

maybe minor deals, ALWAYS thinking of the future. im satisfied with this team competing at the moment, playoffs or not, if it means cup contender in 5 years.... we have some stud players heading our way and its only season 2 of chevy drafts.

fitzy0019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:55 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Chevy:
I'm always looking to make the team better now without mortgaging the future...

Sounds like what I like.
Get my cake and eat it too.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:57 AM
StronGeer
Butterfele

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
I realize we could trade a defenseman for a forward without raiding the cupboards, but what does that really do for us?
This is really the only thing I can see us doing. Or maybe trading one of our 2nd rounders to pick someone up. Although we are not deep on D, we are VERY deep on the 6/7 D (Postma, Clitsome, Meech, maybe Redmond) I would be ok moving one of them to get an asset to help us in a playoff run, since it won't sacrifice the future.

I think it would mean a lot to a team composed largely of players without playoff success to know that management has faith that we can make noise in the playoffs. Also, to have them cut their teeth before actually being ready to go deep. So that in a few years when we are real contenders, we don't waste the opportunity on inexperience.

/2cents

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Inflict
Viking

There is always room for improvement. I can see us trading for a top 6 forward or depth on defense. I don't see us picking up a rental player though, unless the price is right.

We probably wont trade away our UFAs if we are in a playoff position. Besides, I think we have a good chance of re-signing most of them (Wellwood may be out of a job however).

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:02 AM
gholas

Quote:
Okay, so there's a lot of talk about dumping players for picks/prospects, picking up players... What if we just kept the team we have now, made a run at the playoffs and kept building from within?

Sure, we want to make a run. But would you rather take a run this year as is and keep our cupboards stocked or pinch away at our draft picks for, what, Morrow? Or keep improving slowly and be a perennial playoff team? I realize we could trade a defenseman for a forward without raiding the cupboards, but what does that really do for us?

Injuries happen. Getting Enstrom back doesn't mean, knock on wood, someone else won't go down.

It's less exciting to think about than making a trade, but what do you think about our team as it is today moving forward without making a big splash around the deadline?
Even if we get all D back, trouble isn't done just yet...

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Scheifele55

Quote:

I sure hope we deal Hainsey and Antropov for draft picks. I would rather Winnipeg move them as the return would be greater than what they can contribute for the rest of the season. I don't see Antropov returning as he is on some nights and off more often, Hainsey gets burnt too often in my opinion and wouldn't come back cheap.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:35 AM
gholas

I want any trades for picks to go to non playoff teams, but at this point you can't be certain who they are. I say trade only to Edm, because they'll have #1 overall for sure, everyone else is battling for 2nd overall.

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:36 AM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
if we continue to roll there surely is very little chance of us moving a roster player...

but with all of our extra picks i wouldnt be surprised if they tried to form some form of package to acquire a 2nd/3rd line type winger

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:53 AM
sully1410

I don't agree with Burmi08, but I'll get to that.

For a minute, lets assume that we make the playoffs and we make it as the third seed. That will probably pit is against anyone of Toronto, New York, Carolina or Ottawa...I personally feel that we could have a real chance to make it out of the first rd....that being the case.

Why not acquire the pieces to make sure that you do as well as possible? From where Im sitting that's three pieces...granted you aren't going to find them all right this second, but this team is really only three pieces away from being a serious threat. 1C, 2RW, 3/4 Defenseman. Two of those things could be had. Drew Stafford could be bought from Buffalo for a reasonable price, but if that's two rich for you...then a guy like Mason Raymond from Vancouver would be great on Kane's line. He's fast, solid defensively, has a pretty good IQ. He may not be overly physical, but an added plus is that he is a Centre as well and is pretty good at taking draws. I don't imagine he would cost much more, if at all, then Andre Kostitsyn did.

Lets say...2nd + 4th for Mason Raymond...or Drew Stafford

I honestly do not know who is really on the market in terms of defensmen. I would imagine that Smid could be had for prospect + 2nd, as I doubt that they will be able to resign him and they'll probably be out of if. Again.

I'd also like to take a look at a couple Centres here as well. Paul Stastny and Sam Gagner. Both deals would start with Burmistrov, and you would have to add accordingly I imagine. Either way, both are an upgrade.

If you get the center...you can alot Little over to RW if you really needed too, although ideally he stays where he's at IMO.

I'd honestly be ok if we only did a deal. Maybe the RW or the C deal, one thing I'd like to see is Chevy move up in the draft as well...or do nothing and try and get another first or something.

If we plan to be even the slightest bitsuccessful in the playoffs, you need depth. Impending UFA or not, those are players that you need to keep in order to have the best possible line up heading into the most challenging championship on sports. That's why I don't agree with shipping out guys like Antro and Hainsey. They may not be super stars, but they do fill vital roles on the team. Antro provides that essential secondary scoring and is a great third line player. Him and Welly were actually really good tonight.

Hainsey logs alot of tough minutes and unless you got an upgrade coming back...we 're going to need him to log those big minutes. Not to mention the guy has got a cannon from the point. The more players you have, the more weapons you give Noel to win hockey games.

It would be poor asset management to get rid of these guys now, when we're on the cusp of real success. The only real success that this franchise has known in all it's years. We actually have a legit chance to make it out of the first round...not get swept by the Rags.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:33 AM
Crazed Fan

All I would like to see is Jokinen off the point on the PP.

...and Bobby Ryan to play with Kane.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:23 AM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

I would love to have Antropov stay with the Jets and I don't really mind keeping the rest of the team as is and not make any moves. But with that being said, I think if the price is right, pull the trigger. If not, it isn't a terrible idea to keep them and do a playoff run instead of underselling.

Maybe Chevy can even re-sign the UFAs at a lower salary (that would be perfect) at the end of it all. Although if Chevy does make a splash at the deadline I would think Hainsey would be in the picture. Good trade value and it just makes sense. He's more of a hot commodity than Antropov, etc. IMO.

JustBeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:40 AM
almostawake

I don't think the Jets will end up major buyers or sellers.

The way I see it, Hainsey and Antropov are both players Cheveldayoff would like to keep at the right price and if he thinks that its possible then I think they'll be with the Jets through the end of the season. If he doesn't think it is likely, then there is a good chance they'll be moved. Also, I could see some of the lower end guys moved to teams that can give them a try out down the stretch, Postma for example.

As far as acquiring players goes, I think it is quite clear that whoever Cheveldayoff goes after he is doing so with both this year, and next year in mind. Off the top of my head this would include guys like Stafford, Setoguchi, Stempniak, etc. But we can't discount the possibility that he acquires a UFA to be with the intention of re-signing him before July 1st.

Basically, I don't see the Jets roster being significantly better or worse following the deadline, but I do expect there to be some movement.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:57 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Fan View Post
All I would like to see is Jokinen off the point on the PP.

...and Bobby Ryan to play with Kane.
Getting Ryan would cost us a chuck of our core, and maybe our future while someone like Stafford could be had for expendable pieces, maybe some of the extra picks we have accumulated. If we are fighting for 3rd you can't trade Hainsey, there is just too far a drop off after him for 2nd pairing minutes. Anthro is also too important at this time. I'm thinking Postma is the most likely piece to be traded, as it appears he has dropped down the depth chart. My guess is the Jets will be low end buyers...Chevy continues to go slow and steady.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Crazed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Getting Ryan would cost us a chuck of our core, and maybe our future while someone like Stafford could be had for expendable pieces, maybe some of the extra picks we have accumulated. If we are fighting for 3rd you can't trade Hainsey, there is just too far a drop off after him for 2nd pairing minutes. Anthro is also too important at this time. I'm thinking Postma is the most likely piece to be traded, as it appears he has dropped down the depth chart. My guess is the Jets will be low end buyers...Chevy continues to go slow and steady.
I totally agree with you. My mind started drifting to a fantasy land. There is no way a team can acquire Ryan without giving up a 1st rounder and that does not interest me too much. I am on board with the long term plan of building from the draft.
Future is looking bright for this team.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Trade deadline is April 3rd, I believe. Should be a very interesting two weeks, with the Jets fighting to stay above the line. These next two weeks might shape the team for the next two years.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:07 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Trade deadline is April 3rd, I believe. Should be a very interesting two weeks, with the Jets fighting to stay above the line. These next two weeks might shape the team for the next two years.
so much truth in this post

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Some interesting points in here. Mason Raymond is a good third line LW, but I can't see him being more impactful than any of our tweeners we already have. Wellwood is painfully slower than Raymond but way better at seeing the ice.

Stafford I'd be on board with but only if we make a serious attempt to resign him. Rentals are a no no for anything 2nd round or higher IMO.

Ryan's a pipe dream til July, Ducks could be serious contenders this year with Preds, Nucks, Wings, Blues all having down years.

What I could see is dealing a 2nd, small + for Stafford and then flipping Hainsey for a 2nd so we don't lose a pick. UFA for UFA where we lose a small plus to fill a weakness and deal from strength.

Better now, better future if we resign Stafford. Of course it all falls apart if someone gives Buffalo a first rounder for him. But you guys get the idea.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:43 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Some interesting points in here. Mason Raymond is a good third line LW, but I can't see him being more impactful than any of our tweeners we already have. Wellwood is painfully slower than Raymond but way better at seeing the ice.

Stafford I'd be on board with but only if we make a serious attempt to resign him. Rentals are a no no for anything 2nd round or higher IMO.

Ryan's a pipe dream til July, Ducks could be serious contenders this year with Preds, Nucks, Wings, Blues all having down years.

What I could see is dealing a 2nd, small + for Stafford and then flipping Hainsey for a 2nd so we don't lose a pick. UFA for UFA where we lose a small plus to fill a weakness and deal from strength.

Better now, better future if we resign Stafford. Of course it all falls apart if someone gives Buffalo a first rounder for him. But you guys get the idea.
Stafford isn't a rental...he's got like two years left?

Mason Raymond is a second line player on the Canucks and has been one of their better players this year. Until last year, he was a 20goal scorer...unfortunately he busted up his back pretty good against Boston and then finished the series. His speed matches up well with Kane.

And we could mos def get more for Hainsey then a first...if we should deal him at all. Tbh...I don't think we should, as he plays some very important minutes for us. Unless there is an upgrade coming back...not interested in trading Hainsey. Unsigned or not.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Resurrection

we will never be a sustained cap team, which is fine, because that means buying thru FA. chevy and the jets need to have good asset management. that means we trade pending ufa's at the deadline for big returns, see oduya last year. hainseys gotta go imo.

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:49 PM
SCP Guy

We are not a realistic Cup contender....So we CAN NOT let assets walk away for zero return as it will hamper our future development! Until we have decent chance to hoist the Cup (perennial top 10 NHL team) this should always be Rule 1 IMHO

I know this is an exaggeration of my point as our UFA's are not of this calibre but look what Parise and Webber did to their organizations!

Last edited by SCP Guy: 03-20-2013 at 01:01 PM.
SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
we will never be a sustained cap team, which is fine, because that means buying thru FA. chevy and the jets need to have good asset management. that means we trade pending ufa's at the deadline for big returns, see oduya last year. hainseys gotta go imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
We are not a realistic Cup contender....So we CAN NOT let assets walk away for zero return! Until we have decent chance to hoist the Cup this should always be Rule 1 IMHO
Why assume Hainsey won't be resigned?

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Why assume Hainsey won't be resigned?
We don't have to assume that to say we can't let him walk for nothing, though. Sign him or trade him, both are good options (sorta, anyway) at this point.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:51 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
We are not a realistic Cup contender....So we CAN NOT let assets walk away for zero return as it will hamper our future development! Until we have decent chance to hoist the Cup (perennial top 10 NHL team) this should always be Rule 1 IMHO

I know this is an exaggeration of my point as our UFA's are not of this calibre but look what Parise and Webber did to their organizations!
Multi-ditto. We either re-sign pending UFA's before the deadline, or move them before the deadline. Otherwise, they're effectively "rental" players from April 3rd until we finish our playoff run. It's called asset management".

knorthern knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:14 PM
PaperRockChamp

I have absolute faith in Chevy. We'll be happy campers on April 4th.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote