HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 07:56 PM
timw33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Wasn't one or both of Chara's parents Olympians? The guy definitely has athletic blood lines.
I think it's mainly Coca-Cola in his bloodstream.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:02 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Chara is a physical specimen because he works out more than almost anyone in hockey. Other than that, he's the exact same type as Sustr. He's not a naturally big, bulky guy.

Did you actually see Chara prior to the lockout? He was stick-thin, even thinner than Sustr.
Maybe in his Islander days when he was the same age as Sustr which is what I'm sure you're trying to get at but Chara in his Senator pre-lockout days was the same weight (if not heavier) than he is now. Weight =/= Physical attributes by any means but it's as best an indicator we have.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Max Quackenbush

To me, he plays a bit like this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Bouwmeester

Old
03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Sustr needs to stop being compared with Chara. There only comparable is being taller than just about everyone. It's almost like comparing David Booth and Mason Raymond because they are both 6'.
that's not a good analogy. the defining characteristic of chara is his size, just like it is with sustr. if you want a comparable for raymond do something like grabner, because they're both fast.

Quote:
To me, he plays a bit like this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Bouwmeester
oh god don't say that. i hope that sustr plays in the playoffs at some point in his career.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:19 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Do you guys think Sauve will eventually make it to the NHL? He's still young but he's playing in ECHL...I always had high hopes on him to be a very good shutdown guy like Barrett Jackman when he was drafted.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:23 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Nice! Man I can't believe no one's mentioned him before.

(jk feebster )
Are you kidding? I'd love to sign this centerman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Optimistic the Canucks can get him signed. Less so with Sustr.
Not going to get my hopes up about Sustr either, feels like Schultz all over again! I refuse to be so committed to a player and watch him pull a Bachelor on us. #No

Old
03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
But if their graduating years are so far off, does it help?
I always wonder about that question, rather in hockey or if in real life.
I mean, how much more curious are you when you see someone from your Alma mater?
I was wondering that mostly because of how they portray Ivy Leaguers in pop culture Maybe our resident Harvard man can weigh in?

Old
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Andrej Sustr update:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie22m
College UFA 6-foot-8 D Andrej Sustr will cull list of 20 to 25 interested NHL teams tomorrow and Friday, likely to sign by weekend.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Would sure be sweet for us to land him.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Wisp

We won't.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Honestly I'm okay with the back-end at the moment, prospects-wise. I hope we get Laganiere out of Yale. Lain and Laganiere would be a good haul (and make me feel better about trading our first round pick this season, which we probably will).

Old
03-20-2013, 12:45 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Andrej Sustr update:

Would sure be sweet for us to land him.
I feel like the GMs of the 5 to 10 teams not talking to him aren't doing their jobs.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:01 PM
KRM

Tömmernes with 3 assists in 4 playoff games, quarterfinal series against Luleå tied 2-2.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Tömmernes with 3 assists in 4 playoff games, quarterfinal series against Luleå tied 2-2.
Thanks KRM.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I was wondering that mostly because of how they portray Ivy Leaguers in pop culture Maybe our resident Harvard man can weigh in?
Groan. I guess that's me. Incisor and Vanuck gave pretty good answers already.

It's true I take special interest in McNally because he's at Harvard. On the other hand, I have taken no interest at all in the guy Bertuzzi mugged or his brother Dom, nor in the Unabomber, nor in Bill Gates. Zuckerberg was both in my Harvard house, and was born in the same tiny town as me, so it's an odd coincidence, but I'm not on his social media site nor have I seen the movie.

Being a grad of the same school does make it easier to connect, in a superficial way, and I would think having played on the same varsity team, albeit in different years, would make for a still better connection. Laganiere and our draftee Beattie are current teammates, for whatever that may be worth. But I think the stronger signing influences would be playing on a good team in Canada, having some fellow Quebecois on that team and in the prospect pool, and having a positive prior experience of the Canucks and the city . . . all of which apply in Laganiere's case. Oh, and feeling clearly needed by the team, with a visible path to the Show. I'm thinking that might apply more strongly to Lain than to Laganiere, but fair enough.

My university involvement was mainly academic, which is what my school does best, and which makes for something of a common bond between fellow honours graduates. An expectation of a curious mind. The jocks I knew, mainly hockey players, kind of had their own world although we all lived and ate together. For all I know, their bond may be much stronger than the one between guys like me who were only there for the weird and wonderful courses, and, of course, for the many glorious girls of Greater Boston

Old
03-20-2013, 02:10 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post

It's true I take special interest in McNally because he's at Harvard. On the other hand, I have taken no interest at all in the guy Bertuzzi mugged or his brother Dom, nor in the Unabomber, nor in Bill Gates. Zuckerberg was both in my Harvard house, and was born in the same tiny town as me, so it's an odd coincidence, but I'm not on his social media site nor have I seen the movie.

Being a grad of the same school does make it easier to connect, in a superficial way, and I would think having played on the same varsity team, albeit in different years, would make for a still better connection. Laganiere and our draftee Beattie are current teammates, for whatever that may be worth. But I think the stronger signing influences would be playing on a good team in Canada, having some fellow Quebecois on that team and in the prospect pool, and having a positive prior experience of the Canucks and the city . . . all of which apply in Laganiere's case. Oh, and feeling clearly needed by the team, with a visible path to the Show. I'm thinking that might apply more strongly to Lain than to Laganiere, but fair enough.

My university involvement was mainly academic, which is what my school does best, and which makes for something of a common bond between fellow honours graduates. An expectation of a curious mind. The jocks I knew, mainly hockey players, kind of had their own world although we all lived and ate together. For all I know, their bond may be much stronger than the one between guys like me who were only there for the weird and wonderful courses, and, of course, for the many glorious girls of Greater Boston
Thanks for the insight I might still pretend all Yale grads act like Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight I might still pretend all Yale grads act like Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock.
Well . . . YALE grads are total dorks. I was talking about Harvard

Old
03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
PRNuck

Was just combing through the team sites of our CHL and NCAA prospects, looks like they were shut out for end of season awards (team or league honours). Kind of thought Hutton or Corrado might get a mention of some kind.

/flips table

OHL All Star teams haven't been announced yet, I don't think it's out of the question for Frankie to land on the 2nd or 3rd team.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:11 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:

Thanks for the answer, 701.
That basically answered what I wanted to know.

Just curious, but do you think your education gives you a leg up on other people?
I always wonder about that.
I do know a guy from an Ivy League school, but he works at a place where everyone has a degree or 2 from an Ivy League School or 2.

Now, onto a more serious question, about your last statement...
Is that really true?
I always watch Red Sox playoff games because their fans are just so much prettier...
But then I watched Ted and he said that Boston women are, "on the whole, a paler, uglier sort than women from the elsewheres of life."
Now I am confused...

Old
03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
timw33

Quote:
I'd be very excited if Tommernes came to NA next season. Then we'd start having a ton of back pressure on our current D from the farm system, which is not a bad problem to have.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well . . . YALE grads are total dorks. I was talking about Harvard
Haha that just conjured up Yale vs Harvard

Old
03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
KRM, I'm wondering if you can tell us if he plays primarily on the right side or left side on D?

If Backman is a left side guy, and they play together, would that mean HT plays mostly on the right? Thanks.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Very nice. Is he planning to come to N. America next season?

Old
03-20-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, 701.
That basically answered what I wanted to know.

Just curious, but do you think your education gives you a leg up on other people?
I always wonder about that.
I do know a guy from an Ivy League school, but he works at a place where everyone has a degree or 2 from an Ivy League School or 2.

Now, onto a more serious question, about your last statement...
Is that really true?
I always watch Red Sox playoff games because their fans are just so much prettier...
But then I watched Ted and he said that Boston women are, "on the whole, a paler, uglier sort than women from the elsewheres of life."
Now I am confused...
To answer your more serious question first: like hockey talent, great girls are where you find them. The Canucks didn't think a Slovenian was worth a first pick, so they became bridesmaids to the Stanley Cup.

Also, bear in mind that Greater Boston had around 30 institutions of higher learning in my day, and a majority of those students, like Harvard students, came from elsewhere. The charms of Boston do not necessarily lie in the Bostonians.

As for your other question, in the States, for example in Manhattan where I lived, the Harvard mystique was strong and sometimes embarrassing. I knew not to mention it---but it's no use, because in that East Coast academic society you get asked where you went to school all the time. It's kind of a golden handshake. So in a social or employment sense, yes, it makes a difference.

Then I abruptly moved to Yellowknife, and spent six years in a skid shack on the shores of Great Slave Lake. Neither I nor anyone else gave a rat's ass where I went to school. Being big and strong was much more useful. Playing protection-free, full-contact hockey on the lake while ripped on weed and Kahlua was my idea of heaven. Also I learned to respect and value the thousand things a Dog Rib Dene knew that I didn't. In the bar of the Strange Range Hotel my studies of Serbo-Croatian Heroic Poetry or The Surface Anatomy of the Adult Male Mountain Gorilla didn't cut any ice.

So a "leg up" on others? I learned not to think that way. None of my friends went to Harvard. My wife is a psychiatrist who went to U of T and is a remarkable athlete . . . so much for the leg up on her, so to speak

Old
03-20-2013, 10:47 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
To answer your more serious question first: like hockey talent, great girls are where you find them. The Canucks didn't think a Slovenian was worth a first pick, so they became bridesmaids to the Stanley Cup.

Also, bear in mind that Greater Boston had around 30 institutions of higher learning in my day, and a majority of those students, like Harvard students, came from elsewhere. The charms of Boston do not necessarily lie in the Bostonians.

As for your other question, in the States, for example in Manhattan where I lived, the Harvard mystique was strong and sometimes embarrassing. I knew not to mention it---but it's no use, because in that East Coast academic society you get asked where you went to school all the time. It's kind of a golden handshake. So in a social or employment sense, yes, it makes a difference.

Then I abruptly moved to Yellowknife, and spent six years in a skid shack on the shores of Great Slave Lake. Neither I nor anyone else gave a rat's ass where I went to school. Being big and strong was much more useful. Playing protection-free, full-contact hockey on the lake while ripped on weed and Kahlua was my idea of heaven. Also I learned to respect and value the thousand things a Dog Rib Dene knew that I didn't. In the bar of the Strange Range Hotel my studies of Serbo-Croatian Heroic Poetry or The Surface Anatomy of the Adult Male Mountain Gorilla didn't cut any ice.

So a "leg up" on others? I learned not to think that way. None of my friends went to Harvard. My wife is a psychiatrist who went to U of T and is a remarkable athlete . . . so much for the leg up on her, so to speak
Those were courses?
Wow...

Honestly, I would love to take the 1st one, even if it is just to impress people.

Thanks for the response, 701.
That Boston bit made a lot of sense.

Do you mind if I ask about your move to Yellowknife?
I am guessing it is for work purposes, but that must be quite a bit of a culture shock.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Those were courses?
Wow...

Honestly, I would love to take the 1st one, even if it is just to impress people.

Thanks for the response, 701.
That Boston bit made a lot of sense.

Do you mind if I ask about your move to Yellowknife?
I am guessing it is for work purposes, but that must be quite a bit of a culture shock.
We need to stick to Canuck prospects and hockey in general here, so enough chit chat for now. Thus, it's fair to say that McNally probably didn't take a Heroic poetry course which examined the techniques of the last living blind epic poets who were remarkably similar to the ancient Homer. Nor is it likely he wrote a paper about Mountain Gorilla morphology in a physical anthropology classroom with a pickled gorilla head and also a human skeleton that hauntingly had written on it "Made in India."

More about McNally: I did a google search and he seems to have gone totally out of the news. My guess is that he's doing some serious strength training to prepare his lanky physique for one more NCAA season and then an early exit to pro hockey.

Closed Thread