HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-20-2013, 11:43 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Do Cuthbert and Johnson do Oilers games on a regular basis? Those two are probably the best in the business in my opinion.
Mike Johnson is very very bad, he is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Not Kruger's fault. Not Dubnyk's fault.

The real guys to fault here is Mark Fistric, Nick Schultz, and Ryan Smyth.

Both are terrible at executing anytime of systematic play. Fistric playing on his off-side (RD) is an embarrassment to the sport. Nick Schultz is Steve Staios - I can't believe we keep a veteran Canadian around this long but give up on a better Russian in Grebeshkov - literally probably for nationality reasons.

Ryan Smyth is just too inconsistent. His effort is sweet, sometimes his veteran savvy shines through - but he can't close on defense, can't make effective plays when it matters. Pisses me off.

On the bright side, the double shifting of MPS was a brilliant move on Kruger's part - who better to put out there then arguably your best defensive player. Guy was a menace all game long - neutralizing Marleau at ES, breaking up the Sharks fast-breaks up the ice, and getting his sticks into lanes. Other than Gagner our best forward tonight, along with Hall.
You are incorrect krueger and dubnyk are at fault. Greatly at fault
How did u like krueger double shifting smyth

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I was lost on that as well.

Why Krueger benched Yakupov after laying two huge hits and a solid shot on net resulting in huge momentum.. Maybe he's afraid of success.

Dubs just blows in important games.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
They're horrendous, especially Johnson.
Johnson is one of the best out there IMO. I have no idea why so many posters dislike him. He actually stays away from the cliche crap and will call it how it is plus he gives good insight IMO.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Stop playing Smyth so much. Don't double shift Petrell; he's really not that good. Play Yakupov in OT.

This is a LOT on Krueger; there's zero doubt about it.

Also it would be nice to have a goalie that can close out a game, and that you feel confident in.

Is Khabi healthy yet?
He's been on the bench for the past couple games...I hope we see Khabi on Saturday.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
How does a professional hockey team that is halfway decent blow so many 3rd periods, it really is unbelievable. Krueger again with his ***** sit on the lead hockey and why not? Lets ****ing play Smyth basically half the period and lets staple Yakupov to the bench after an epic shift. It's almost like he's intentionally trying to tank.

Dubnyk also wears the goat horns in this one. Absolutely deflating goals to give up at the worst possible time, he does this way too often and his good numbers masks that deficiency.

Hall had one of his poorer games in a while. He just didn't seem into until the OT for some reason, i expected more from him in a big game.
Does Hemsky even care anymore? WTF was that in the shootout? Brutal.

Just an ugly loss, i couldn't care less about the "loser" point. It's inexcusable that they can't ever hang onto a 3rd period lead. **** you Krueger.
Yeah, because he wasn't trying in regulation and the OT, right?

But yes, his SO attempt was pathetic. As was Gagner's. Both were infuriating; way too slow.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Stop playing Smyth so much. Don't double shift Petrell; he's really not that good. Play Yakupov in OT.

Also it would be nice to have a goalie that can close out a game, and that you feel confident in.

Is Khabi healthy yet?
Don't put the fourth line on the ice to get scored on with a one goal lead in the third period..

I'm all for shortening the bench, Krueger just doesn't know who needs to be shortened.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Hallmark of a young team is they will have trouble holding leads. This is simple fact. You people foaming at the mouth need to relax a bit. I don't like it neither do you but it's going to happen until it finally clicks for them.
I do look forward to Oil change season 6 when it starts to click

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Not Kruger's fault. Not Dubnyk's fault.

The real guys to fault here is Mark Fistric, Nick Schultz, and Ryan Smyth.

Both are terrible at executing anytime of systematic play. Fistric playing on his off-side (RD) is an embarrassment to the sport. Nick Schultz is Steve Staios - I can't believe we keep a veteran Canadian around this long but give up on a better Russian in Grebeshkov - literally probably for nationality reasons.

Ryan Smyth is just too inconsistent. His effort is sweet, sometimes his veteran savvy shines through - but he can't close on defense, can't make effective plays when it matters. Pisses me off.

On the bright side, the double shifting of MPS was a brilliant move on Kruger's part - who better to put out there then arguably your best defensive player. Guy was a menace all game long - neutralizing Marleau at ES, breaking up the Sharks fast-breaks up the ice, and getting his sticks into lanes. Other than Gagner our best forward tonight, along with Hall.
Fistric was solid.. did what he does best... cant expect more from him... Him playing RD is also Kruger's fault.. Nick Schultz was decent as well... SJ is just too big for him to handle but he did a good enough job..
Smyth getting double shifted \ playing C was also a coaching decision... couldve played Hall down the middle if he wanted.. even Eberle... It is not like he is getting things done playing RW.

Dubnyk was fine... made some big saves.. as good <bad> as Neimi .. In shootouts he sucked... no disagreement there..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Some things I would like to get off my chest:
1. **** you Couture aka the ****ing goatman
2. **** you Kreuger. Who benches a player after their best ****ing shift? Go back to Switzerland dumbass

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

The Oilers should be ashamed of themselves for that loss.

I'm sure they don't really care though.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:45 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
How does a professional hockey team that is halfway decent blow so many 3rd periods, it really is unbelievable. Krueger again with his ***** sit on the lead hockey and why not? Lets ****ing play Smyth basically half the period and lets staple Yakupov to the bench after an epic shift. It's almost like he's intentionally trying to tank.

Dubnyk also wears the goat horns in this one. Absolutely deflating goals to give up at the worst possible time, he does this way too often and his good numbers masks that deficiency.

Hall had one of his poorer games in a while. He just didn't seem into until the OT for some reason, i expected more from him in a big game.

Just an ugly loss, i couldn't care less about the "loser" point. It's inexcusable that they can't ever hang onto a 3rd period lead. **** you Krueger.
Were you even watching the game? He was our most effective forward on the rush today, had 2-3 great scoring chances.

He's being misused on the PP - he is at his best when on the left-side boards setting up on the half-wall - you can't just slot him into Nuge's spot and expect him to be the same player.

The shootout move was what it was - it's worked 2-3x for him before in the past. I'm not going to let a missed shootout goal speak over a player's body of work over a 60 minute hockey game.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Byakin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Krueger is a huge *****.
Oh here you are! Oilers must have lost!

Byakin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Distinct

Strudwick talking down Yak all year is quite hilarious...

Distinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Why none of the media in Edmonton ask the GM and Krueger the questions that need answering is beyond me. Cannot wait to finish grad school and get some proper accreditation.
If they ask anything resembling a hard question they get blacklisted by the Oilers. Edmonton media is too scared to rustle any jimmies.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
smokersarejokers

Quote:

Is Khabi healthy yet?
I agree with everything in this post.

I like Petrell, but there is no need to double shift him. Maybe in Finland, but not here.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

MPS played a whopping 21:35 tonight - those be defenseman numbers!

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OilDrop37

Quote:
I don't understand how this is Dubnyk's fault. The first 2 goals were deflections, the 3rd goal was a point-blank shot from prime scoring area where Wingels picks the VERY CORNER of the net for a goal.

People are retarded. I don't even know if they watch the games anymore.
How is the top of the circle a "point blank shot"?? He got beat short side because he wasn't set and lost his angle...it wasn't a terrible goal, but it's one that you absolutely need your goaltender to stop at that point of the game.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
metallicat
@metallicat51

I can't come into these threads after a loss anymore, you guys drive me nuts.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
I don't understand how this is Dubnyk's fault. The first 2 goals were deflections, the 3rd goal was a point-blank shot from prime scoring area where Wingels picks the VERY CORNER of the net for a goal.

People are retarded. I don't even know if they watch the games anymore.
It's almost as bad as ******** on Taylor Hall all the time eh?

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Some things I would like to get off my chest:
1. **** you Couture aka the ****ing goatman
2. **** you Kreuger. Who benches a player after their best ****ing shift? Go back to Switzerland dumbass

Hate that ****ing guy, hes the definition of ugly.

jalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
He makes more bad plays on a regular basis than Grebeshkov does - and it's not like he's providing us with consistent offense either.

The pass on the Horcoff goal was nice - on a completely aberrent play.

His defensive zone plays with the puck are completely foolish. Stupid dumps up the boards where opposition is lurking, pointless pinches at the blue line as the other team is breaking out - he's playing like Steve Staios.

The worst part is Staios actually knew his limitations.
You guys will be happy to know that grebeshkov really degraded in KHL, unfortunately. So in hindsight it wasn't a bad move...

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Oil could have been in 8th place after tonight... now they are in 12th.. just 3 pts out of the basement.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Willy Lindstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Hallmark of a young team is they will have trouble holding leads. This is simple fact. You people foaming at the mouth need to relax a bit. I don't like it neither do you but it's going to happen until it finally clicks for them.
Agree 100%
It's just so darn aggravating in the meantime.
We all want it SOOO bad, and they do too.

I for one am not calling for Kruegers head. I think he is the right coach for this team at this time.
I wish I could have more confidence in Dubnyk, though.

Willy Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Yeah, because he wasn't trying in regulation and the OT, right?

But yes, his SO attempt was pathetic. As was Gagner's. Both were infuriating; way too slow.
Giving up on Gagner in the shootout is LONG overdue. He should not be in the top 3 anymore, he can be 4th or 5th, but I don't think he's good enough for top 3. I would have loved to see Horcoff in there, and not just because I love him either

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

Agreed. What's especially disheartening is that the Sharks looked like a shell of their early season selves in this game but they still found a way to get that crucial extra point.

Even bad teams don't squander 3rd period leads at the rate the Oilers are. What Ralph and his team are doing defies conventional wisdom and trends.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote