HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
coach has a paajarvi boner. lets not forget duby is like top 10 in save percentage this year......Goalies that have played 20+ games with a better save percentage than him. Bobrovsky, Rask, Lundqvist, and Niemi. Dubnyk is also top 10 for games played this year with 25. Top is 28.. Give the guy a break. There was no defensive coverage on those two goals, even if he should've had them
can you spread your sandwich with save percentage?

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iceonfire

vCash: 500
Edmonton leads the league in.............OT loses.

If we had even won 2-3 of those we would be sitting in 8th right now.

No finish...

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Somnii

Yeah, I actually switched over to the Ducks/Blackhawks game when Couture scored that PPG to make it 3-2; I was so sure that the Oilers were going to blow yet another 3rd period lead, and unfortunately I was right

Somnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
I would do much rather yak learn by making a mistake that costs us a game in overtime than sitting on the bench watching how not to play. Both approaches may even have the same result, but how is he going to learn with this garbage. I forsee healthy scratches in the playoffs.
Dare I say this...I wish we had hired Sutter? If we could go back right now, Sutter or Krueger- who do you choose?

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert View Post

Hate that ****ing guy, hes the definition of ugly.
Ugly is too kind of a word to describe Couture. Every time I look at him I wince. I think Kevin Lowe fooled around with his mom who happens to be a goat. That is why he plays so well against us

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:53 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Lindstrom View Post
Agree 100%
It's just so darn aggravating in the meantime.
We all want it SOOO bad, and they do too.

I for one am not calling for Kruegers head. I think he is the right coach for this team at this time.
I wish I could have more confidence in Dubnyk, though.
Kruger does a very poor job of running the bench. More than once I saw Brown on the ice against Thornton...inexcusable when you have last change.

It looks like he is just trying to run 4 lines and the roster isn't good enough for that.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post

No finish...
What happened to letting Horcoff play in the shootout? - IIRC dude is >40% lifetime.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MettleOiler

Quote:
coach has a paajarvi boner. lets not forget duby is like top 10 in save percentage this year......Goalies that have played 20+ games with a better save percentage than him. Bobrovsky, Rask, Lundqvist, and Niemi. Dubnyk is also top 10 for games played this year with 25. Top is 28.. Give the guy a break. There was no defensive coverage on those two goals, even if he should've had them
None of the those teams would trade those "comparable" goalies straight up for Dubnyk. I have given him a ton of breaks but I'm holding him accountable for this game for sure.
He's not our goalie of the future. How many blown games and soft goals will it take for people to realize this!

MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Quote:
Sometimes you need a goalie to make a big save. Dubnyk didn't make those tonight. Does a goalie have to steal every game for you? Absolutely not. Dubnyk wasn't needed to steal one tonight. All he had to do was steal a single save (preferably 2) and this game would have been the Oilers.

Dubnyk's weak goaltending tonight seems to be a microcosm of the whole team though to be honest. Just don't know how to raise up to the moment.

Anyone remember in 05-06 at the end of the season when in the dying moments of a tied game against the Ducks, Hemsky scores a spectacular goal to lift the Oilers into the playoffs? This team right now doesn't have that capability. Not in net, and not anywhere else in the lineup it seems. The kids aren't ready for it and no one else on the team is good enough for it.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:54 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post

No finish...
No killer instinct. This team sits back way, way too much and lets the other team dictate the play--especially when they're trying to hold a lead. This is completely on coaching.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wretched Oil

Makes me want to barf when people use "must win" when it clearly isn't.

Wretched Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Kruger does a very poor job of running the bench. More than once I saw Brown on the ice against Thornton...inexcusable when you have last change.

It looks like he is just trying to run 4 lines and the roster isn't good enough for that.
Because he religiously puts the fourth line on the ice the shift after a power play, and opposing teams always just put their top lines out after a PK.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
None of the those teams would trade those "comparable" goalies straight up for Dubnyk. I have given him a ton of breaks but I'm holding him accountable for this game for sure.
He's not our goalie of the future. How many blown games and soft goals will it take for people to realize this!
It's because they had better save percentages than him.

The Oilers have a bottom-5 defense in the NHL, even with a top-10 goaltender you're going to have a hard time keeping your GAA <3 with a group like that on the blue line.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 03-21-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Not going to lead to anything good
Old
Tarus
Fire Mact

Really disappointing 3rd period. SJ upped the pace, the refs put the whistles away like it was a playoff game, and the Oilers cracked.

I can understand Yakupov being brought along slowly, but benching him in favor of Smyth who can barely keep up with the play, and has been prone to so many grievous soft plays with the puck that routinely hurts the team, it's just asinine. Bench the rookie, fine, most other coaches do the same thing, but play anyone but Smyth, geez.

Really hope the Oilers trade Hemsky at the deadline this year as well, first line skating/puck handling skills, 4th line hockey sense and shooting ability. Maybe his value has recovered enough that someone will be willing to waste 5 million in cap space so the Oilers can fill some needs, preferably Clowe in the offseason whose value will be low after playing and struggling with a bad shoulder this year.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tawheed

Fistric should be taking some blame here. First goal here kicks in, third goal he has full control on the wall and instead of a simple reverse he tries to force it through traffic up the wall, few seconds later it's in the back of the net.

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Expatriate

DD has to make the save on 3rd goal. That changed the whole game.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yablo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
man that stupid interference penalty by whitney that led to the second SJS goal really pissed me off. What a stupid play. Just when this guy was elevating his play, he starts doing bone-headed things like that again...

That was a weak fricken call the puck was there and he fell so easily, we at least deserved a make up call for all the damn sharks fouls after that

Yablo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Ugly is too kind of a word to describe Couture. Every time I look at him I wince. I think Kevin Lowe fooled around with his mom who happens to be a goat. That is why he plays so well against us
I bet the hairs on his chinny chin chin grow a little bit when he walks into rexal place. Goat testosterone must be some good ****.

jalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't understand how this is Dubnyk's fault. The first 2 goals were deflections, the 3rd goal was a point-blank shot from prime scoring area where Wingels picks the VERY CORNER of the net for a goal.

People are retarded. I don't even know if they watch the games anymore.
People who disagree with you are retarded? Nice.

Any competent NHL. Hell, junior goalie makes that save on Wingels. It was a semi decent shot from about 20 feet out, you have to be kidding me if you think that Dubnyk shouldn't have made that stop.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:56 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Are you kidding? Everyone watching the third when we are up 2 is yelling at their TV's because Kreuger has the wrong guys on the ice (apparently you were not one of them) and is going to cause us to lose. It happens.
So he should just never put Smyth and Whitney on the ice? Yeah let's bench all the veterans while trying to defend a lead. How about we put the blame on the players instead of the coaching for once? Whitney handed them the second goal with a stupid penalty and the. Smyth gave the puck away with Whitney standing around doing nothing on the third.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Sometimes you need a goalie to make a big save. Dubnyk didn't make those tonight. Does a goalie have to steal every game for you? Absolutely not. Dubnyk wasn't needed to steal one tonight. All he had to do was steal a single save (preferably 2) and this game would have been the Oilers.

Dubnyk's weak goaltending tonight seems to be a microcosm of the whole team though to be honest. Just don't know how to raise up to the moment.

Anyone remember in 05-06 at the end of the season when in the dying moments of a tied game against the Ducks, Hemsky scores a spectacular goal to lift the Oilers into the playoffs? This team right now doesn't have that capability. Not in net, and not anywhere else in the lineup it seems. The kids aren't ready for it and no one else on the team is good enough for it.
He was magical that year. He even kept it up in the pseudo-rebuild years of 2006-2009, brilliant last-minute performances (goals, assists, etc) to win us some meaningless games.

People here keep talking about Eberles' "clutchness" - I can't remember the last time he scored a GTG/GWG in the 2-3 minutes of a game for us (I don't think he ever has) - that one vs Nashville doesn't count as it was a 3-1 goal till that last-second one they scored.

Meanwhile Yakupov/Hall/MPS seem to rack these types of goals up.

Old
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
What happened to letting Horcoff play in the shootout? - IIRC dude is >40% lifetime.
I said that to my husband, and earlier in this thread, I wanted Horcoff in the top 3. He is a better option than Gagner, maybe even Hemsky! Heck, why not switch it up?

Hemsky and Gagner are in so many shootouts, that the goalies have a general idea what to expect. Switch it up, throw Horcoff out there, Paajarvi, Jones, J. Schultz... throw a player out there that will do something new and different.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:57 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched Oil View Post
Makes me want to barf when people use "must win" when it clearly isn't.
Over-dramatics are the calling card of many posters here.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:57 PM
jalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
So he should just never put Smyth and Whitney on the ice? Yeah let's bench all the veterans while trying to defend a lead. How about we put the blame on the players instead of the coaching for once? Whitney handed them the second goal with a stupid penalty and the. Smyth gave the puck away with Whitney standing around doing nothing on the third.
Soo.. trade Smyth and Whitney? Yes please!

jalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Except Cuthbert is considered one of the best in the game, so no.
I disagree?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote