HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-20-2013, 11:58 PM
oilphan

vCash: 500
Krueger thinks he third period was river hockey and that is why we lost. I guess we need to be more defensive minded.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Not going to get into Eberle, but Justin Schultz is what he is - a rookie defenseman struggling with even strength minutes in a top-4 role. If our GM was competent he'd have a steady partner in a bottom-6 role or a rock-solid shutdown partner (Smid) in a 2nd pairing role. He isn't, so Schultz is having the obvious struggles in his role.

He's never been an effective even-strength point producer or offensive kick-starter at the NHL level - most of his points seem to be coming on the PP.
Schultz had a good start to the season... I dont think his struggles are due to NHL talent being too much for him to handle.. He handled them fine the first few games..

We might have burnt him out for the year playing him so much in the AHL.. The guy is used to playing 40 games seasons and he is over the 70 game mark already for this season.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched Oil View Post
Makes me want to barf when people use "must win" when it clearly isn't.
Lol somehow the 1 point we didn't get tonight is worth more than the 2 points from any other game here on out.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Edmonton leads the league in.............OT loses.

If we had even won 2-3 of those we would be sitting in 8th right now.

No finish...
The last 2 shouldn't have even gone to ot. Those should have been regulation wins.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

The PP looked atrocious tonight. Aside from Gagners marker. Yakupov should be shooting as often as Couture. Their shots are in the same ilk, no doubt.

Aside from all the disappoint and burning taste of vomit in my mouth, it was nice to see Paajarvi play a tremendous two-way game. With his offensive confidence, prowess and creativity taking shape his great back-checking, defensive awareness and huge bonus. Horcoff was hustling hard and played a very mature game tonight. Gags was great as usual. Jones had a game teaming goal that like many things in this franchise are robbed blind before our eyes by sloppy play in our own zone. Players generally trying to do too much or simply panicking under pressure. Schultz has the ice tilted against him lately. His youth and inexperience is evident. Fistrics poor puck handling abilities were also very evident tonight. Dubnyk wasn't great but he hung on.

We failed to capitalize on many PP opportunities while the Sharks buried theirs. A timeout seemed extremely necessary after their 2nd goal. It was even more obvious when we were playing with 4 guys for the span of ten+ seconds and Smyth being double-shifted despite his safe consistent play was mind boggling. We relied far too much on a potential offensive contribution from him tonight. He is a burnt out bulb with a history. Is Krueger filming The Swiss version of a Pickers show?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:59 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
So he should just never put Smyth and Whitney on the ice? Yeah let's bench all the veterans while trying to defend a lead. How about we put the blame on the players instead of the coaching for once? Whitney handed them the second goal with a stupid penalty and the. Smyth gave the puck away with Whitney standing around doing nothing on the third.
The problem is that he's shortening the bench in favor of putting guys like that on the ice more often, probably under the collective delusion of "veteran" responsibility.

The bench should be shortened in these sorts of situations, and guys like that should have earned themselves the honor of the shortening by now. In comparison to someone like Yakupov, who legitimately never saw the ice again after his best shift of the game.

I recall hearing something about "accountability" from the coaching staff going into this season, but apparently once you're a healthy scratch once or twice you've served your punishment.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Bum
Ontario Oiler fan

Dubnyk should be forced to stand in a bathroom stall the next time Bob Stauffer has one too many hotdogs.

Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I disagree?
Not allowed on this forum.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:01 AM
jalbert

**** it, goodnight

#FreeYakupov

jalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Did Horcoff leave or something? What happened? Seemed to have missed it...

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post
Dubnyk should be forced to stand in a bathroom stall the next time Bob Stauffer has one too many hotdogs.
LMAO...I think I need sleep because this was just too funny.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:02 AM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Did Horcoff leave or something? What happened? Seemed to have missed it...
Skate repairs. Both him and Smyth.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
It's because they had better save percentages than him.

You don't have to be a genius to figure it out - the Oilers have a bottom-5 defense in the NHL, even with a top-10 goaltender you're going to have a hard time keeping your GAA <3 with a group like that on the blue line.
Are you kidding me? That game would of been in the bag in regulation if we had a top 10 goalie. Every hockey team makes gaffes, thats why we have a goaltender in net to make sure to stopgap those mistakes. Yes our team needs work...but first thing I want now is something to change from the net out. And you are someone who watches many games I bet, you can't tell me you haven't seen this scenario repeated over and over with Dubnyk.

MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I'm not gonna point fingers at anyone in particular tonight. Nobody was as good as they needed to be tonight.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hemskyfanboy83

Sucks to blow 2 leads like that but the team is starting to put together a nice little stretch of decent hockey. The lines are starting to come together (when Yakupov actually gets to play).

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The problem is that he's shortening the bench in favor of putting guys like that on the ice more often, probably under the collective delusion of "veteran" responsibility.

The bench should be shortened in these sorts of situations, and guys like that should have earned themselves the honor of the shortening by now. In comparison to someone like Yakupov, who legitimately never saw the ice again after his best shift of the game.
The team lacks quality vets.

I'll agree that coaches like to have vets out in that situation - it's completely fair. And there's only so long you can go double-shifting Gagner and Horcoff without getting into a situation where you're triple-shifting them. With only 3C's, Smyth was bound to come into a situation where he was being double-shifted.

Horcoff played 24 minutes tonight, Gagner 23. Smyth at 14 - you can't just not have a center on the ice...those other 2 guys were bagged.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait for Belanger to come back. I'd like to see him with Petrell/Brown and with Smyth on the bench.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
millax

When we win we have to re-sign half of the team and there are threads about which of the young players is the best.

When we lose we need to fire the coach, cut Smyth, and trade the other half of the team.

Has anyone else noticed this crap has gotten significantly worse over the past couple of years?

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Soundwave

Krueger is a bizarro land coach. Gets the best out of MPS, Gagner, Horcoff, and Hemsky (all guys who have struggled last year) but can't get enough from Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH, Schultz IMO.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I disagree?
Cuthbert is awesome. U crazy man.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
3 points out of the playoffs and St. Louis coming up a couple of times. Lights out boys, it was fun while it lasted.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Schultz had a good start to the season... I dont think his struggles are due to NHL talent being too much for him to handle.. He handled them fine the first few games..

We might have burnt him out for the year playing him so much in the AHL.. The guy is used to playing 40 games seasons and he is over the 70 game mark already for this season.
This is a very valid point I noticed myself a few games back as well. The game seems to be moving faster than him lately. In addition to the lengthy period of puck I think it's becoming a little overwhelming at times. He did just jump from NCAA to the NHL from one season to the next. Not too many players I can think that didn't have he slightest of setbacks or a few adjustment issues when transitioning. Most certainly on a team like Edmonton where sheltered minutes are not an option but a key role is. They need some serious assistance on the back end. Any names on the UFA market this offseason that look extremely attractive to you?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
When we win we have to re-sign half of the team and there are threads about which of the young players is the best.

When we lose we need to fire the coach, cut Smyth, and trade the other half of the team.

Has anyone else noticed this crap has gotten significantly worse over the past couple of years?
7 years of playoffless, 30th place hockey will do that to a fanbase. Scratch that, if any other fanbase had to endure what we've gone through they would have given up professional hockey by now.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Jooked

This ones on Dubnyk. His rebound control was horrible.

First goal he makes the initial save it scoots back out as he squeezes his pads. Hits fistrics skate and in.

Second goal he makes the initial save, fails to to pounce on the rebound directly in front of him, 2 seconds later it's in the net.

At no point in this game did Dubnyk make a game changing save unless you count the posts doing it for him.

I'm sick of people using save % to justify him being good. I'm starting to wonder how many extra saves he's had to make cause he's failed to kill the play.

Jooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 50

Shaun Bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Are you kidding me? That game would of been in the bag in regulation if we had a top 10 goalie. Every hockey team makes gaffes, thats why we have a goaltender in net to make sure to stopgap those mistakes. Yes our team needs work...but first thing I want now is something to change from the net out. And you are someone who watches many games I bet, you can't tell me you haven't seen this scenario repeated over and over with Dubnyk.
Why is it all on him though? The entire team sags in the 3rd period, and he has to feel the brunt of it.

I'm going to postulate this question without knowing the answer to it - but how many leads have we blown in the 3rd period in games where teams get <8-9 shots in the 3rd period? My guess is not that many. Why? Because Dubnyk is pretty consistent as a goaltender - it's the play of our piss-poor defense and "sit back" mentality that result in more shots, more chances, and inevitably more goals.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote