HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Niemi was brutal tonight too, no arguments from me. It still doesn't excuse Dubnyk giving up the Wingels goal which was a good shot but it wasn't exactly a Weber howlitzer, the 1st goal was really soft play by him also. Just no battle in him on that one. The Couture goal was understandable, he couldn't see the puck at all.
Ya and did you watch the detroit game or see the goals dallas let in? Also goals scored that werent poems crafted by the gods. I guess howard and lehtonen also arent good enough? Gee its almost like every game has goals in them and the goals arent always masterpieces.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Dubnyk is not the only problem for the Oilers, but he certainly is one. Very disappointed with this loss.

Too many useless players on this team.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This! It was a team loss. People can try and blame Dubie all they want, but he wasn't the only one at fault
Yep, There were bad defensive zone breakdowns on all 3 plays that led to Shark goals.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It makes me sick to my stomach that that puke Couture is probably having a hearty laugh at our expense after his arrogant comments and 2 goal/shootout goal performance. He might just be my new least favorite player in the league after his pathetic comments tonight.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
He was being screened by Whitney as well on the play - not an excuse, but definitely a factor.

And let's be honest, that was a shot with some zip on it. This wasn't some Horcoff/Smyth floater.
Dubnyk was lousy again tonight. On the goal in question he simply sets wrong and doesn't know where his posts are and gets beat short side. BECAUSE he isn't set properly to cover the angle. In that situation you never allow shortside. Several people have pointed this out.

He was awful on all 3 goals and usually through floundering on the ice for extended periods of time. dubs spends way too much time on his pads.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:22 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Ya and did you watch the detroit game or see the goals dallas let in? Also goals scored that werent poems crafted by the gods. I guess howard and lehtonen also arent good enough? Gee its almost like every game has goals in them and the goals arent always masterpieces.
The difference being that Dubnyk lets in these goals at the worst possible time and it deflates the whole team and he does it A LOT. How many 3rd period meltdowns has he had? Too many to count. Just like a lot of the team, he's mentally fragile and as a goalie, that's a very bad mindset to have.
I want to emphasize that i'm not fully putting the blame on him but as the last line of defense, he deserves a good deal of the blame.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Really? Look at gagners goal. If dubnyk let's that gags slapper in everyone here would howl. The third goal was a fricken wrap around. This place would implode if that was dubnyk.
+1
Dubnyk is solid enough... He lets in weak goals on occasions but every goalie does that..
For what we pay him.. we are getting a good return...

As long as he keeps us into games he is doing his job..
Anderson, Rask, Allen, Crawford, Fasth, Emery and Bobrovsky are the top 7 NHL goalies in terms of stats at the moment... Shows how much a crapshoot they could be... Make the D stronger and any competent goalie would do...

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MettleOiler

Quote:
Why is it all on him though? The entire team sags in the 3rd period, and he has to feel the brunt of it.

I'm going to postulate this question without knowing the answer to it - but how many leads have we blown in the 3rd period in games where teams get <8-9 shots in the 3rd period? My guess is not that many. Why? Because Dubnyk is pretty consistent as a goaltender - it's the play of our piss-poor defense and "sit back" mentality that result in more shots, more chances, and inevitably more goals.
The team sags because of the goals the Dubnyk let in. Your telling me that goalies can't alter the momentum of a team with a game changing save?
You remember Cujos Save in 97 that led to the Marchant goal to win game 7 OT in Dallas? The team fought to win games for Cujo, they had confidence in him.
This team lost confidence in their Goalie, no matter how consistent he is. He lets in one soft/bad goal, and you can visible see the team collectively let out a exasperated sigh.
Yes, its up to the team no matter what to keep on pressuring and fighting to win and yes we saw how they let up in the third but I believe very strongly that its linked to Dubnyk and those goals he let in. ]
I agree hes consistent but he's also consistent in letting soft/bad goals.
Everyone on this forums if they say it or not, knows that Dubnyk will let in one bad goal that will kill any momentum in almost every game.
Of all the players I want out, its Dubnyk. You can check all my posts, and this is the first game I am vehemently state my displeasure of this man.

MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:24 AM
shogun99

Martin Brodeur's career SP is .913, I guess he isn't a good starter. The thing with Dubnyk is that he seems incapable of making that big save when the team needs it.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agron
BELIEVE.

so i was at the game (3-4 now fml) but a couple things:

Zero faith in dubnyk. Seriously. None. I dont care about stats or anything, the guy is terrible when it matters, in pressure situations. You can tell that every guy wants to go top shelf on dubnyk cause the guys always on his ****ing knees.

Seconldy, Yakupov after one of the best shifts all game, big hit and lots of energy, doesnt see a lick of ice time after. Not a second. Kreuger talks a **** load about accountability but it seems to me like he plays favorites. He's all talk he has no idea what the **** hes doing.

Waste of time.

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Arpeggio

It sucks they lost. Season's not over yet, but this one hurt.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

How do the Oilers, on a 4 minute PP, not identify that Gagner was absolutely redhot tonight. Gagner was open for a pass on that PP 3 times and didn't get a pass. yet he was creating and getting and making chances all friggen night when they actually got him the puck.

Guy had a goal, 4 serious scoring chances, 4 great feeds, and he goes begging for the puck when he's the most creative guy on the ice and clearly in a zone.

Defies description.

The players on this team don't identify as simple a team concept as "who is hot" on any given night. Gagner had all kinds of jump and was ready to put together his best game of the season, if any of his teammates noticed.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The difference being that Dubnyk lets in these goals at the worst possible time and it deflates the whole team and he does it A LOT. How many 3rd period meltdowns has he had? Too many to count. Just like a lot of the team, he's mentally fragile and as a goalie, that's a very bad mindset to have.
You think the 3rd period meltdowns are cause of dubnyk? The oilers dominate the other team all third period and then the other team gets a soft chance and scores on him? No, the oilers get their **** pushed in way too often for a big chunk of third periods and everyone knows what is about to happen. This is a team problem not a dubnyk problem. This isnt 2006 where the oilers are constantly outplaying the opposition but cant get a stop. They are being shelled way too often and this leads to the inevitable goal against.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
The team lacks quality vets.

I'll agree that coaches like to have vets out in that situation - it's completely fair. And there's only so long you can go double-shifting Gagner and Horcoff without getting into a situation where you're triple-shifting them. With only 3C's, Smyth was bound to come into a situation where he was being double-shifted.

Horcoff played 24 minutes tonight, Gagner 23. Smyth at 14 - you can't just not have a center on the ice...those other 2 guys were bagged.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait for Belanger to come back. I'd like to see him with Petrell/Brown and with Smyth on the bench.
So you complain about RNH being out with "the sniffles" and then complain about Gagner and Horcoff being bagged because they play too much? Smyth is not an adequate 3C and an inadequate 4C or at least a barely passable one. If RNH was able to go you'd have to think that with us already being 1 C down that he would've given it a go, to insinuate that he sat this one out because of a measly cold is very insulting to a kid that has made the most of a frame that would keep most players out of the league in the first place.

03-21-2013, 12:28 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
so i was at the game (3-4 now fml) but a couple things:

Zero faith in dubnyk. Seriously. None. I dont care about stats or anything, the guy is terrible when it matters, in pressure situations. You can tell that every guy wants to go top shelf on dubnyk cause the guys always on his ****ing knees.

Seconldy, Yakupov after one of the best shifts all game, big hit and lots of energy, doesnt see a lick of ice time after. Not a second. Kreuger talks a **** load about accountability but it seems to me like he plays favorites. He's all talk he has no idea what the **** hes doing.

Waste of time.
The worst part is that Yakupov was probably the most invested guy in the building after a shift like that.. but it was put to waste in favor of precaution.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
The team sags because of the goals the Dubnyk let in. Your telling me that goalies can't alter the momentum of a team with a game changing save?
You remember Cujos Save in 97 that led to the Marchant goal to win game 7 OT in Dallas? The team fought to win games for Cujo, they had confidence in him.
This team lost confidence in their Goalie, no matter how consistent he is. He lets in one soft/bad goal, and you can visible see the team collectively let out a exasperated sigh.
Yes, its up to the team no matter what to keep on pressuring and fighting to win and yes we saw how they let up in the third but I believe very strongly that its linked to Dubnyk and those goals he let in. ]
Everyone on this forums if they say it or not, knows that Dubnyk will let in one bad goal that will kill any momentum in almost every game.
Of all the players I want out, its Dubnyk. You can check all my posts, and this is the first game I am vehemently state my displeasure of this man.
I don't see a basis to your argument here. The team sags because of the goalie? That's a huge load of **** - the team sags because your team is inexperienced, not talented enough, and being mishandled by coaching.

>15 shots against in the 3rd period on a nightly basis is why this team blows leads.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
and what makes you think the goalie we replace with him will be an improvement?
Name me one goalie who would be available and be an upgrade?
Halak? and his 0.86 save %? Bernier? Vokoun? Bishop? We still wouldve lost tonight if we had Neimi and SJ had Dubnyk...
I dont think the team sags because they dont have faith in Dubnyk,, I think Dubnyk sags because he has no faith in his team..
Our D leaves him to dry on many occasions every game.. Not saying he had a great games but he hardly was the reason for this loss.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
How about that 2 on 1 with Eberle and Smyth early in the game? What in the **** was Smyth doing? Was a bit of a miscommunication between them, but Smyth throws a muffin right into the tendy's chest.

Embarrassing. The guy has next to no place in the NHL. He does not belong on the ice with offensive players EVER. I could go to a random outdoor rink in Edmonton and pick a player who would have made a better play in that situation.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It makes me sick to my stomach that that puke Couture is probably having a hearty laugh at our expense after his arrogant comments and 2 goal/shootout goal performance. He might just be my new least favorite player in the league after his pathetic comments tonight.
What did he say?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The worst part is that Yakupov was probably the most invested guy in the building after a shift like that.. but it was put to waste in favor of precaution.
agree... feel sorry for the kid... normally I dont mind him stapled to the bench for veterans to close out the game.. but not tonight especially after the shift he had..
For the first time im going to agree with the Yak backers... Kruger ****ed up tonight!

Old
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
How about that 2 on 1 with Eberle and Smyth early in the game? What in the **** was Smyth doing? Was a bit of a miscommunication between them, but Smyth throws a muffin right into the tendy's chest.

Embarrassing. The guy has next to no place in the NHL. He does not belong on the ice with offensive players EVER. I could go to a random outdoor rink in Edmonton and pick a player who would have made a better play in that situation.
End of a shift with Eberle struggling to catch up. Shooting there was one of Smyth's better decisions of the evening.. problem is he's never been able to shoot.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
It's quite possible to be a die hard fan and keep a level head. It's really not out of the question.
Not really at least for most die hard fans in the heat of the moment.
There's a reason why it's called "Die Hard" When the team Dies which the Oilers do all too often, the fans take it Hard hence the term "Die Hard". I would agree that some of the negativity can go off the rails and the positivity can be completely unrealistic when all is going well but such is life when you have a passion for something. Being a passionate fan is a rollercoaster of emotions and this is a place to vent so overreaction is inevitable.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Martin Brodeur's career SP is .913, I guess he isn't a good starter. The thing with Dubnyk is that he seems incapable of making that big save when the team needs it.
Brodeur has played through some shady times in terms of accumulating bad save percentages (early to mid-90's = surplus of goal-scoring, has experienced decline the last 3-4 years).

At his peak he was a >0.915 goaltender on a good team getting a heavy workload (which helps his W's) that was capable of kicking it up a notch in the playoffs (0.919 career average, >0.930 in peak years)

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Ragss

Poor Harski only got 4 minutes of ice time.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

The oilers have the worst shots for-against in the league at -6 per game. If the avg sv% is .910 then simple math tells you they should be letting in .5ish more goals per game than they are scoring, and will lose more than they will win. And people want to blame the goalie.