HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-21-2013, 01:34 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So you complain about RNH being out with "the sniffles" and then complain about Gagner and Horcoff being bagged because they play too much? Smyth is not an adequate 3C and an inadequate 4C or at least a barely passable one. If RNH was able to go you'd have to think that with us already being 1 C down that he would've given it a go, to insinuate that he sat this one out because of a measly cold is very insulting to a kid that has made the most of a frame that would keep most players out of the league in the first place.
I'm not insinuating, posters on the GDT were saying it was a cold.

To miss a game for something "routine" I'd figured it had to be a flu. Those are devastating - diarrhea, messed up electrolytes.

But a cold shouldn't hold a player back.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
How about that 2 on 1 with Eberle and Smyth early in the game? What in the **** was Smyth doing? Was a bit of a miscommunication between them, but Smyth throws a muffin right into the tendy's chest.

Embarrassing. The guy has next to no place in the NHL. He does not belong on the ice with offensive players EVER. I could go to a random outdoor rink in Edmonton and pick a player who would have made a better play in that situation.
Ebs was coasting instead of driving hard to the net... Smyth didnt really have much choice but to shoot.. He isnt really known for picking the corners from high slot... They couldve been a little more creative but I guess both didnt really bother.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
End of a shift with Eberle struggling to catch up. Shooting there was one of Smyth's better decisions of the evening.. problem is he's never been able to shoot.
Shooting like that is never a good decision. That shot will never ever ever go in on an NHL goalie. ****, that won't go in on a peewee tier 6 goalie. I know he's never been able to shoot, but wasted opportunities like that really hurt a team.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:35 AM
camboy

Dubnyk deserves a share of the blame tonight, nut if Hall and Eberle played better the Oilers could have won it. Eberle was especially horrible.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:35 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
You think the 3rd period meltdowns are cause of dubnyk? The oilers dominate the other team all third period and then the other team gets a soft chance and scores on him? No, the oilers get their **** pushed in way too often for a big chunk of third periods and everyone knows what is about to happen. This is a team problem not a dubnyk problem. This isnt 2006 where the oilers are constantly outplaying the opposition but cant get a stop. They are being shelled way too often and this leads to the inevitable goal against.
Dubnyk is a part of the problem, not THE problem but a part of it. As he goes, the team goes.
I have seen all too often when the team is playing well then he lets in a questionable goal and all of a sudden the momentum changes on a dime.
A goalie is kind of like a QB in football. Generally, as he goes so does the team. If he lets in a questionable goal, it's natural that the team loses confidence in him and starts gripping their sticks tight. It has happened all too often with him.
AGAIN, the 3rd period meltdowns are a team problem but he's a part of that problem also. They are a bunch of mental midgets who get easily frazzled.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't see a basis to your argument here. The team sags because of the goalie? That's a huge load of **** - the team sags because your team is inexperienced, not talented enough, and being mishandled by coaching.

>15 shots against in the 3rd period on a nightly basis is why this team blows leads.
Dubnyk lets in the 3-2 goal and suddenly we're back to playing defense first hockey which as we've seen recently against Chicago and to a lesser degree Nashville sucks the life out of our team. It's a combination of goaltending and a young team, trying to absolve one or the other is the wrong call IMO.

What needs to be mentioned more IMO, is that once the 3rd rolls around, the whistles get put away and we start getting out muscled and out "cheaped" and our team isn't big/tough enough to overcome prison rules hockey.

03-21-2013, 01:36 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Shooting like that is never a good decision. That shot will never ever ever go in on an NHL goalie. ****, that won't go in on a peewee tier 6 goalie. I know he's never been able to shoot, but wasted opportunities like that really hurt a team.
not gonna lie, I cringed when Smytty wound up for that clapper

it was awful

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:37 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
There was never an opportunity there. Best case scenario was a rebound or a faceoff. They got a faceoff.

Eberle wasn't in great position, and I don't know why we would want Smyth passing the puck when they're both at the end of a shift.. if he ****s that up then SJ has the puck and they're both caught.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Dubnyk is a part of the problem. As he goes, the team goes.
I have seen all too often when the team is playing well then he lets in a questionable goal and all of a sudden the momentum changes on a dime.
A goalie is kind of like a QB in football. Generally, as he goes so does the team. If he lets in a questionable goal, it's natural that the team loses confidence in him and starts gripping their sticks tight. It has happened all too often with him.
AGAIN, the 3rd period meltdowns are a team problem but he's a part of that problem also. They are a bunch of mental midgets who get easily frazzled.
Yes the team is not yet good enough in close games.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:38 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Dubnyk lets in the 3-2 goal and suddenly we're back to playing defense first hockey which as we've seen recently against Chicago and to a lesser degree Nashville sucks the life out of our team. It's a combination of goaltending and a young team, trying to absolve one or the other is the wrong call IMO.

What needs to be mentioned more IMO, is that once the 3rd rolls around, the whistles get put away and we start getting out muscled and out "cheaped" and our team isn't big/tough enough to overcome prison rules hockey.
Bounced off of Petrell, not something he "let" in.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:

To miss a game for something "routine" I'd figured it had to be a flu. Those are devastating - diarrhea, messed up electrolytes.

Perhaps I missed it, but it seemed like you posted that fairly early after someone dropped the news that he wasn't playing. A cold is a poor excuse unless it's a sinus infection, you have difficulty breathing, etc. That said RNH is a battler so the sniffles stuff wasn't warranted due to the situation.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:40 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Justin Schultz even-strength stats:

5th amongst team D in GF/60
2nd-last amongst team D in GA/60.

This while playing the easiest minutes on the team in terms of QualCOMP.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Hitchslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
There was never an opportunity there. Best case scenario was a rebound or a faceoff. They got a faceoff.
Couldn't disagree more. There was an opportunity there. It was made more difficult when both Smyth and Eberle seemed to think they were gonna be the guy to grab the puck, but any play is better than that when there is one defender back and two guys on the rush.

I'm not blaming the game on Smyth, but when he's getting as many/more minutes than Yakupov, something is clearly wrong.

Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah everybody was making jokes about this, but regression to the mean is a real thing, whether people want to accept it or not
He is playing with a broken finger.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Yeah well who does he play with?

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Bounced off of Petrell, not something he "let" in.
I have to watch it again, I missed the 1st goal so I'm not sure how that was. Any way that you slice it the 3-2 goal was deflating and he didn't win the shootout (which I missed). Dubnyk did not win us the game and quite frankly blowing a 3-1 lead usually means that a goaltender could've been better.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:42 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Perhaps I missed it, but it seemed like you posted that fairly early after someone dropped the news that he wasn't playing. A cold is a poor excuse unless it's a sinus infection, you have difficulty breathing, etc. That said RNH is a battler so the sniffles stuff wasn't warranted due to the situation.
Not only that, it'd make your head throb to skate, you'd have a fever, on top of whatever I just said for the flu-like symptoms. Those are obviously devastating.

Again - I was under the impression it was the "sniffles" or a "cold" - and found that inexcusable. I don't even think a team doctor would say "don't play till this cold subsides".

Old
Fuhryous

vCash: 50
Quote:
What did he say?
Something to the effect that all he hears on the sports networks all summer while he's training is about the Oilers youth, speed and talent. The he said he gets jacked up playing them because he has something to prove playing them. He then reiterated the comments post game.

The guy does play well against the Oilers and now we get to see more of him next season. Yay.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
What did he say?
He whined about the Oilers getting all of the breaks from the referees and insinuated (in a not so subtle fashion) that the attention and "respect" that the young Oilers get is unwarranted. He's not all together wrong when you look at our results so far but I've never heard something so condescending and arrogant during an interview with a player before. They usually deal in cliches and watch their tongues. It was... odd.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:

All of Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, and J. Schultz are getting pretty poor on-ice shooting percentages at evens. Their EV production will start coming soon.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

It's almost like he's a rookie or something.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
This team can't protect the lead. The coach should've figured this out by now. They need to play to increase the lead instead.

LOVE the MPS-Gagner-Yakupov line
Totally sold on it.

The coach needs to stop benching hard working players like Hartikainen in the 3rd period. In the third period we lost the battles on the boards and that's Hartikainen's bread and butter.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:43 AM
Hitchslap

Quote:

I just got over that cold going around, it completely destroyed me. I was in bed for 2 days straight. Cold's can hit everyone differently. If he was too sick to play, I wouldn't doubt him.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:43 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Yeah well who does he play with?
Someone with a higher QUALCOMP?

Are we making excuses for his even-strength play now?

Where's his strengths as a puck-moving, transitional defenseman - why are his GF/60 so low?

He's not ready for the role we've placed him in. I'm not calling him a bust, I'm not even calling him overrated. I'm saying this team needs to bring in some legitimate top-4 defensemen before they can start parading themselves as a playoff contender.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:44 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Not only that, it'd make your head throb to skate, you'd have a fever, on top of whatever I just said for the flu-like symptoms. Those are obviously devastating.

Again - I was under the impression it was the "sniffles" or a "cold" - and found that inexcusable. I don't even think a team doctor would say "don't play till this cold subsides".
If at any point today, you thought he was out with the "sniffles" then I just don't even know what to say.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote