HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Brouwer-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Filppula-Mackinnon-Horton/Ryder
Laich-Johansson-Forsberg
Chimera-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-Green
Erskine-Carlson
Orlov-Kundratek
Oleksy

Holtby
Neuvy

Ribeiro- to a contender for a 1st + good spec

Green - would rather trade him but don't see GMGM doing it with his recently signed contract

Perreault - to a team in need of a cheap 2/3C for futures

Ward - for a 2nd or 3rd to a team with cap space in need of a solid grinder

Hendricks - let go. With Erskine, Oleksy, and Wilson (who will be just as tough but much better with the puck) there's no need to keep him

Schultz - trade to any girls high school team that will take him

Neuvy - trade him and sign a cheap backup if a team makes a solid offer.

I think Filppula would be a great add. He's like a Zetterberg lite IMO and he'd definitely help in terms of puck possession and two way play. He'd also probably be the only player on the team besides Backstrom that can extend plays and not just have the puck die on his stick (Ovechkin, Johansson, Hendricks, Chimera, etc)

Last edited by caps4cup: 03-20-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Capitlols

Why do most of these proposed lineups keep our D intact? It sucks as is.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:18 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Because there's basically no D available this offseason (that we can predict at this point).

Old
03-20-2013, 11:28 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Alzner (should keep)
Carlson (should keep)
Green (new contract)
Erskine (new contract)
Orlov (should keep)
Schultz (GMGM)

All aren't going anywhere. Then there's still Oleksy and Kundratek who have both played very well.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Capitlols

Dammit, relying on Green it is

Old
03-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Alzner is the only one that warrants a higher salary than Mojo. People underrate him so much on here. He's still young and has time to get better and stronger. Just because he's not like Ovechkin or Backstrom or Carlson where they were top players right away, doesn't mean he's not good right now, with a chance to be very good down the road.
Perreault and Fehr should get paid more because they have actually produced. Johansson should not warrant a higher salary for lower production just because he has yet to hit puberty.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:06 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Perreault and Fehr should get paid more because they have actually produced. Johansson should not warrant a higher salary for lower production just because he has yet to hit puberty.
Don't be such a lying jerk. Johansson is menstruating right now.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

On the subject of who may be available for trade,

Teams that may need to cut payroll this offseason:

Philadelphia - $61.3M committed to 18 players
RFAs: Rinaldo, Zolnierczyk
Possible targets: Coburn, Mezsaros, Briere

They could actually roll with their roster and be fine cap-wise, but Holmgren still may want to clear some space.

Vancouver - $60.4M committed to 14 players
RFAs: Schroeder, Weise, Tanev
Possible Targets: Kesler, Edler/Hamhuis/Garrison/Ballard, Luongo

Tanev probably gets a significant raise. Moving Luongo would make things much easier for them.

Chicago - $59.1M committed to 17 players
RFAs: Kruger, Leddy
Possible Targets: Hjalmarrson, Bolland, Frolik, Oduya

Leddy will get a massive raise, so they're probably looking at around $63M on 18 players in that case.

Rangers - $54M committed to 18 players
RFAs - Stepan, Hagelin, McDonaugh, Sauer
Possible Targets: Hagelin, Richards, Stralman

Can they keep Stepan, Hagelin, and McDonaugh under $10M?

San Jose - $53.7M committed to 13 players
RFAs: Galiardi, Sheppard, Demers, Stalock
Possible Targets: Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, Stuart

Could be our best chance at a top C.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

In order to use an amnesty buyout on a player, did he have to be on your roster before the new CBA? If not, I honestly wouldn't mind claiming Mike Komisarek and letting him essentially use the rest of this season as an audition to stay with the team. If it doesn't work out, buy him out and part ways. Even with the emergence of Oleksy and Kundratek, I'm not thrilled with our RD depth given that it looks like Orlov is going to be forced to play the left side and Green will only be healthy for 50% of the season.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Halpysback

That's a horrible, horrible idea. Komisarek is a bad player, period. If he has a great 20 game stretch and you keep him you're dealing with another Jeff Schultz situation, since you can bet your ass they'd play him consistently. The only difference is that Komisarek makes Schultz's agility and decision making look like Alzner's.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:05 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
What exactly is your opinion?

When you post something (especially a lineup), you're inviting people to comment, including criticism. Something you should probably know before going on the internet. People ripped mine to shreds too.

Instead of feeling like you've been personally insulted, you could try responding with the reasons you put the players in those spots.

Well if I respond with an argument, it's a continuous debate.. I've seen it all before.

How about you win the debate and take the short-span ego you're going to get from it. It's worthless.

Sorry I'm too philosophical if you will.

Last edited by msrulo: 03-21-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 07:19 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Look at Fehrs last 2 years. He was terrible. And he's been terrible the past few weeks again.

And it's pretty clear who GMGM would pay more between mojo and Perreault...

Old
03-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Well if I respond with an argument, it's a continuous debate.. I've seen it all before.

How about you win the debate and take the short-span ego you're going to get from it. It's worthless.

Sorry I'm too philosophical if you will.
Debate is now a bad thing? I know it is unlikely for one person to change another's mind on a message board, but explaining the reasoning behind your posts helps further discussion on a topic. Isn't that the whole point of a message board?? Doesn't seem like there would be much value to seeing a lot of posts with just lineups people like and endless rants about what they don't.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:41 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Leddy will get a massive raise, so they're probably looking at around $63M on 18 players in that case.
I haven't watched Chicago this year, but in the past I've been in favor of trying to Trade for Hjalmarrson and make him the stay at home part of our second D-Pairing...

Alzner-Green
Hammer-Carlson

That isn't perfect, but isn't bad either...

Old
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Alzner (should keep)
Carlson (should keep)
Green (new contract)
Erskine (new contract)
Orlov (should keep)
Schultz (GMGM)

All aren't going anywhere. Then there's still Oleksy and Kundratek who have both played very well.
I agree with all that and our D isn't so bad. But at this point I'm pretty sure Schultz will be moved in the offseason or maybe just bought out. Hunter seemed to despise him and Oates even moreso. With all the other guys under contract and with Oleksy/Kundratek emerging I don't think we keep 8 dmen on the roster provided everyone's healthy.

We may end up trading one of our RD to make room for a LD if Oates isn't comfortable with Orlov playing his offside.
Schultz is the obvious candidate and I'd feel confident he won't be back unless Green suffers a huge setback.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
I think Filppula would be a great add. He's like a Zetterberg lite IMO and he'd definitely help in terms of puck possession and two way play. He'd also probably be the only player on the team besides Backstrom that can extend plays and not just have the puck die on his stick (Ovechkin, Johansson, Hendricks, Chimera, etc)
He's reportedly asking for 5 mil.

Quote:
On the subject of who may be available for trade,

Subban got 2.875 for two years; no way Leddy is getting more than that. Maybe around 2mil. 2.5 max imo.

They still have it tight.

Quote:
Rangers - $54M committed to 18 players
RFAs - Stepan, Hagelin, McDonaugh, Sauer
Possible Targets: Hagelin, Richards, Stralman

Can they keep Stepan, Hagelin, and McDonaugh under $10M?
I think they can. 2 years for each and it's doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobob View Post
I haven't watched Chicago this year, but in the past I've been in favor of trying to Trade for Hjalmarrson and make him the stay at home part of our second D-Pairing...

Alzner-Green
Hammer-Carlson

That isn't perfect, but isn't bad either...
Hjalmarsson has been stud this year. I don't think he's available and if he is, he'd cost a lot.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
In order to use an amnesty buyout on a player, did he have to be on your roster before the new CBA? If not, I honestly wouldn't mind claiming Mike Komisarek and letting him essentially use the rest of this season as an audition to stay with the team. If it doesn't work out, buy him out and part ways. Even with the emergence of Oleksy and Kundratek, I'm not thrilled with our RD depth given that it looks like Orlov is going to be forced to play the left side and Green will only be healthy for 50% of the season.
He has to be on your reserve list by the time of the trade deadline before the offseason you're buying him out.

So yeah, the Caps could do that risking nothing but Ted's money. But I don't see why; the potential payoff is so ridiculously small. Better to let another team (the Marlies most likely) showcase him, then sign him for cheap in the offseason if for some reason you like what you see.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Robert Theodorson

Anyone not named Carlson, Alzner, or Orlov should be considered to be a part of this team long-term, I said the same thing last year.

Kundra is a project and Olesky has potential even at an older age, but I wouldn't bank of them for anything.

Erskine is a good 6/7 guy to have in your pocket but that's all he is.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Why do most of these proposed lineups have MacKinnon in them?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Could be our best chance at a top C.
Assuming Ribeiro is out of the equation my guesses would be that they sign Filppula/Roy or just give Johansson a chance. The later seems likely should they draft a center with a top pick since they won't want to block their precious. Maybe they'd sign a stopgap guy like Cullen, Gomez or Letestu if they pick Lindholm since he'd likely need another SEL season.

That second route probably spells no playoffs absent significant changes otherwise but fairly high picks this year and next to potentially go along with Forsberg & Kuznetsov may be what they need in the long-term. At least it may be from a talent standpoint. Two non-playoff seasons would raise all sorts of coaching, leadership and management questions.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I'd rather roll with Johansson/Perreault and use the money to try to sign Smid (assuming he reaches FA). If that fails, THEN start looking at forwards. The downgrade from Real Center to Johansson/Perreault is nowhere near the downgrade from Smid to Schultz. The next position to be addressed would have to be LW, as the drop-off there is from Real Winger to Hendricks/Chimera.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Assuming Ribeiro is out of the equation my guesses would be that they sign Filppula/Roy or just give Johansson a chance. The later seems likely should they draft a center with a top pick since they won't want to block their precious. Maybe they'd sign a stopgap guy like Cullen, Gomez or Letestu if they pick Lindholm since he'd likely need another SEL season.

That second route probably spells no playoffs absent significant changes otherwise but fairly high picks this year and next to potentially go along with Forsberg & Kuznetsov may be what they need in the long-term. At least it may be from a talent standpoint. Two non-playoff seasons would raise all sorts of cashflow/season ticket renewal, coaching, leadership and management questions.
Updated for you...

In reality this is not our money and to Ted and GMGM the bolded would attain considerably more weight for them to factor into their decision.

They would risk losing pretty much all the momentum gained since the 07-08 playoff run even moreso than by at least appearing to try and keep it going.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
txpd

does it really make any sense to pay ovechkin and backstrom $17m per to play on rebuilding teams? frankly that might put the finale on ovechkin's career. i am not sure what backstrom's deal is but the caps go no where if those two continue to decline no matter what the team does otherwise. giving them two more non-playoff seasons wont encourage reestablishment of their games.

if rebuild is what you want, then trade them both now.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
does it really make any sense to pay ovechkin and backstrom $17m per to play on rebuilding teams? frankly that might put the finale on ovechkin's career. i am not sure what backstrom's deal is but the caps go no where if those two continue to decline no matter what the team does otherwise. giving them two more non-playoff seasons wont encourage reestablishment of their games.

if rebuild is what you want, then trade them both now.
They are both young still. Backstrom will just be entering his prime physical years and Ovechkin will be in them.

Tank this year and next and then we will have experienced goalies and have Kuznetsov, Forsberg and Wilson as well as seasoned Carlzner and Orlov in addition to a couple top draft picks.

More like a mini rebuild

Old
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
They would risk losing pretty much all the momentum gained since the 07-08 playoff run even moreso than by at least appearing to try and keep it going.
They'd still be trying to keep it going while, as they tend to do, having the long view at the forefront. They'll have fresh, new faces to sell in Forsberg, maybe Kuznetsov and their shiny new pick. Sure the team result may be underwhelming but they don't really sell the team to begin with. It's the stars or "the experience" or whatever.

It wouldn't really be rebuilding since they didn't build it up completely to begin with. Aside from Ribeiro there wouldn't necessarily be a selling off of veterans and it's not like they have any bedrock veteran players anyway.

Maybe they deviate from that for urgency's sake with more win-now moves this summer but if they do it would have to involve significant trades. That means letting go of players they seem to overrate significantly so I wouldn't expect it.

Closed Thread