HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
  #251
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Brouwer-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Filppula-Mackinnon-Horton/Ryder
Laich-Johansson-Forsberg
Chimera-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-Green
Erskine-Carlson
Orlov-Kundratek
Oleksy


Holtby
Neuvy

Ribeiro- to a contender for a 1st + good spec

Green - would rather trade him but don't see GMGM doing it with his recently signed contract

Perreault - to a team in need of a cheap 2/3C for futures

Ward - for a 2nd or 3rd to a team with cap space in need of a solid grinder

Hendricks - let go. With Erskine, Oleksy, and Wilson (who will be just as tough but much better with the puck) there's no need to keep him

Schultz - trade to any girls high school team that will take him

Neuvy - trade him and sign a cheap backup if a team makes a solid offer.


I think Filppula would be a great add. He's like a Zetterberg lite IMO and he'd definitely help in terms of puck possession and two way play. He'd also probably be the only player on the team besides Backstrom that can extend plays and not just have the puck die on his stick (Ovechkin, Johansson, Hendricks, Chimera, etc)


Last edited by caps4cup: 03-20-2013 at 11:07 PM.
caps4cup is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 11:12 PM
  #252
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
Why do most of these proposed lineups keep our D intact? It sucks as is.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 11:18 PM
  #253
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Why do most of these proposed lineups keep our D intact? It sucks as is.
Because there's basically no D available this offseason (that we can predict at this point).

brs03 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 11:28 PM
  #254
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Why do most of these proposed lineups keep our D intact? It sucks as is.
Alzner (should keep)
Carlson (should keep)
Green (new contract)
Erskine (new contract)
Orlov (should keep)
Schultz (GMGM)

All aren't going anywhere. Then there's still Oleksy and Kundratek who have both played very well.

caps4cup is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 11:29 PM
  #255
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
Dammit, relying on Green it is

Capitlols is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 11:42 PM
  #256
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Alzner is the only one that warrants a higher salary than Mojo. People underrate him so much on here. He's still young and has time to get better and stronger. Just because he's not like Ovechkin or Backstrom or Carlson where they were top players right away, doesn't mean he's not good right now, with a chance to be very good down the road.
Perreault and Fehr should get paid more because they have actually produced. Johansson should not warrant a higher salary for lower production just because he has yet to hit puberty.

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:06 AM
  #257
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Perreault and Fehr should get paid more because they have actually produced. Johansson should not warrant a higher salary for lower production just because he has yet to hit puberty.
Don't be such a lying jerk. Johansson is menstruating right now.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:12 AM
  #258
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,115
vCash: 500
On the subject of who may be available for trade,

Teams that may need to cut payroll this offseason:

Philadelphia - $61.3M committed to 18 players
RFAs: Rinaldo, Zolnierczyk
Possible targets: Coburn, Mezsaros, Briere

They could actually roll with their roster and be fine cap-wise, but Holmgren still may want to clear some space.

Vancouver - $60.4M committed to 14 players
RFAs: Schroeder, Weise, Tanev
Possible Targets: Kesler, Edler/Hamhuis/Garrison/Ballard, Luongo

Tanev probably gets a significant raise. Moving Luongo would make things much easier for them.

Chicago - $59.1M committed to 17 players
RFAs: Kruger, Leddy
Possible Targets: Hjalmarrson, Bolland, Frolik, Oduya

Leddy will get a massive raise, so they're probably looking at around $63M on 18 players in that case.

Rangers - $54M committed to 18 players
RFAs - Stepan, Hagelin, McDonaugh, Sauer
Possible Targets: Hagelin, Richards, Stralman

Can they keep Stepan, Hagelin, and McDonaugh under $10M?

San Jose - $53.7M committed to 13 players
RFAs: Galiardi, Sheppard, Demers, Stalock
Possible Targets: Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, Stuart

Could be our best chance at a top C.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:30 AM
  #259
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,983
vCash: 500
In order to use an amnesty buyout on a player, did he have to be on your roster before the new CBA? If not, I honestly wouldn't mind claiming Mike Komisarek and letting him essentially use the rest of this season as an audition to stay with the team. If it doesn't work out, buy him out and part ways. Even with the emergence of Oleksy and Kundratek, I'm not thrilled with our RD depth given that it looks like Orlov is going to be forced to play the left side and Green will only be healthy for 50% of the season.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:45 AM
  #260
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,292
vCash: 500
That's a horrible, horrible idea. Komisarek is a bad player, period. If he has a great 20 game stretch and you keep him you're dealing with another Jeff Schultz situation, since you can bet your ass they'd play him consistently. The only difference is that Komisarek makes Schultz's agility and decision making look like Alzner's.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:05 AM
  #261
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
What exactly is your opinion?

When you post something (especially a lineup), you're inviting people to comment, including criticism. Something you should probably know before going on the internet. People ripped mine to shreds too.

Instead of feeling like you've been personally insulted, you could try responding with the reasons you put the players in those spots.

Well if I respond with an argument, it's a continuous debate.. I've seen it all before.

How about you win the debate and take the short-span ego you're going to get from it. It's worthless.

Sorry I'm too philosophical if you will.


Last edited by msrulo: 03-21-2013 at 02:10 AM.
msrulo is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 07:19 AM
  #262
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Perreault and Fehr should get paid more because they have actually produced. Johansson should not warrant a higher salary for lower production just because he has yet to hit puberty.
Look at Fehrs last 2 years. He was terrible. And he's been terrible the past few weeks again.

And it's pretty clear who GMGM would pay more between mojo and Perreault...

caps4cup is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:36 AM
  #263
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Well if I respond with an argument, it's a continuous debate.. I've seen it all before.

How about you win the debate and take the short-span ego you're going to get from it. It's worthless.

Sorry I'm too philosophical if you will.
Debate is now a bad thing? I know it is unlikely for one person to change another's mind on a message board, but explaining the reasoning behind your posts helps further discussion on a topic. Isn't that the whole point of a message board?? Doesn't seem like there would be much value to seeing a lot of posts with just lineups people like and endless rants about what they don't.

Stewie G is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:41 AM
  #264
discobob
Registered User
 
discobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Everything
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Chicago - $59.1M committed to 17 players
RFAs: Kruger, Leddy
Possible Targets: Hjalmarrson, Bolland, Frolik, Oduya

Leddy will get a massive raise, so they're probably looking at around $63M on 18 players in that case.
I haven't watched Chicago this year, but in the past I've been in favor of trying to Trade for Hjalmarrson and make him the stay at home part of our second D-Pairing...

Alzner-Green
Hammer-Carlson

That isn't perfect, but isn't bad either...

discobob is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
  #265
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Alzner (should keep)
Carlson (should keep)
Green (new contract)
Erskine (new contract)
Orlov (should keep)
Schultz (GMGM)

All aren't going anywhere. Then there's still Oleksy and Kundratek who have both played very well.
I agree with all that and our D isn't so bad. But at this point I'm pretty sure Schultz will be moved in the offseason or maybe just bought out. Hunter seemed to despise him and Oates even moreso. With all the other guys under contract and with Oleksy/Kundratek emerging I don't think we keep 8 dmen on the roster provided everyone's healthy.

We may end up trading one of our RD to make room for a LD if Oates isn't comfortable with Orlov playing his offside.
Schultz is the obvious candidate and I'd feel confident he won't be back unless Green suffers a huge setback.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
  #266
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 19,262
vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
I think Filppula would be a great add. He's like a Zetterberg lite IMO and he'd definitely help in terms of puck possession and two way play. He'd also probably be the only player on the team besides Backstrom that can extend plays and not just have the puck die on his stick (Ovechkin, Johansson, Hendricks, Chimera, etc)
He's reportedly asking for 5 mil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
On the subject of who may be available for trade,

Chicago - $59.1M committed to 17 players
RFAs: Kruger, Leddy
Possible Targets: Hjalmarrson, Bolland, Frolik, Oduya

Leddy will get a massive raise, so they're probably looking at around $63M on 18 players in that case.
Subban got 2.875 for two years; no way Leddy is getting more than that. Maybe around 2mil. 2.5 max imo.

They still have it tight.

Quote:
Rangers - $54M committed to 18 players
RFAs - Stepan, Hagelin, McDonaugh, Sauer
Possible Targets: Hagelin, Richards, Stralman

Can they keep Stepan, Hagelin, and McDonaugh under $10M?
I think they can. 2 years for each and it's doable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by discobob View Post
I haven't watched Chicago this year, but in the past I've been in favor of trying to Trade for Hjalmarrson and make him the stay at home part of our second D-Pairing...

Alzner-Green
Hammer-Carlson

That isn't perfect, but isn't bad either...
Hjalmarsson has been stud this year. I don't think he's available and if he is, he'd cost a lot.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
  #267
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
In order to use an amnesty buyout on a player, did he have to be on your roster before the new CBA? If not, I honestly wouldn't mind claiming Mike Komisarek and letting him essentially use the rest of this season as an audition to stay with the team. If it doesn't work out, buy him out and part ways. Even with the emergence of Oleksy and Kundratek, I'm not thrilled with our RD depth given that it looks like Orlov is going to be forced to play the left side and Green will only be healthy for 50% of the season.
He has to be on your reserve list by the time of the trade deadline before the offseason you're buying him out.

So yeah, the Caps could do that risking nothing but Ted's money. But I don't see why; the potential payoff is so ridiculously small. Better to let another team (the Marlies most likely) showcase him, then sign him for cheap in the offseason if for some reason you like what you see.

brs03 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:50 AM
  #268
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
Anyone not named Carlson, Alzner, or Orlov should be considered to be a part of this team long-term, I said the same thing last year.

Kundra is a project and Olesky has potential even at an older age, but I wouldn't bank of them for anything.

Erskine is a good 6/7 guy to have in your pocket but that's all he is.

Robert Theodorson is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
  #269
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Why do most of these proposed lineups keep our D intact? It sucks as is.
Why do most of these proposed lineups have MacKinnon in them?

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
  #270
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Could be our best chance at a top C.
Assuming Ribeiro is out of the equation my guesses would be that they sign Filppula/Roy or just give Johansson a chance. The later seems likely should they draft a center with a top pick since they won't want to block their precious. Maybe they'd sign a stopgap guy like Cullen, Gomez or Letestu if they pick Lindholm since he'd likely need another SEL season.

That second route probably spells no playoffs absent significant changes otherwise but fairly high picks this year and next to potentially go along with Forsberg & Kuznetsov may be what they need in the long-term. At least it may be from a talent standpoint. Two non-playoff seasons would raise all sorts of coaching, leadership and management questions.

Langway is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
  #271
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,755
vCash: 500
I'd rather roll with Johansson/Perreault and use the money to try to sign Smid (assuming he reaches FA). If that fails, THEN start looking at forwards. The downgrade from Real Center to Johansson/Perreault is nowhere near the downgrade from Smid to Schultz. The next position to be addressed would have to be LW, as the drop-off there is from Real Winger to Hendricks/Chimera.

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
  #272
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Assuming Ribeiro is out of the equation my guesses would be that they sign Filppula/Roy or just give Johansson a chance. The later seems likely should they draft a center with a top pick since they won't want to block their precious. Maybe they'd sign a stopgap guy like Cullen, Gomez or Letestu if they pick Lindholm since he'd likely need another SEL season.

That second route probably spells no playoffs absent significant changes otherwise but fairly high picks this year and next to potentially go along with Forsberg & Kuznetsov may be what they need in the long-term. At least it may be from a talent standpoint. Two non-playoff seasons would raise all sorts of cashflow/season ticket renewal, coaching, leadership and management questions.
Updated for you...

In reality this is not our money and to Ted and GMGM the bolded would attain considerably more weight for them to factor into their decision.

They would risk losing pretty much all the momentum gained since the 07-08 playoff run even moreso than by at least appearing to try and keep it going.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
  #273
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,355
vCash: 500
does it really make any sense to pay ovechkin and backstrom $17m per to play on rebuilding teams? frankly that might put the finale on ovechkin's career. i am not sure what backstrom's deal is but the caps go no where if those two continue to decline no matter what the team does otherwise. giving them two more non-playoff seasons wont encourage reestablishment of their games.

if rebuild is what you want, then trade them both now.

txpd is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
  #274
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
does it really make any sense to pay ovechkin and backstrom $17m per to play on rebuilding teams? frankly that might put the finale on ovechkin's career. i am not sure what backstrom's deal is but the caps go no where if those two continue to decline no matter what the team does otherwise. giving them two more non-playoff seasons wont encourage reestablishment of their games.

if rebuild is what you want, then trade them both now.
They are both young still. Backstrom will just be entering his prime physical years and Ovechkin will be in them.

Tank this year and next and then we will have experienced goalies and have Kuznetsov, Forsberg and Wilson as well as seasoned Carlzner and Orlov in addition to a couple top draft picks.

More like a mini rebuild

BobRouse is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
  #275
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
They would risk losing pretty much all the momentum gained since the 07-08 playoff run even moreso than by at least appearing to try and keep it going.
They'd still be trying to keep it going while, as they tend to do, having the long view at the forefront. They'll have fresh, new faces to sell in Forsberg, maybe Kuznetsov and their shiny new pick. Sure the team result may be underwhelming but they don't really sell the team to begin with. It's the stars or "the experience" or whatever.

It wouldn't really be rebuilding since they didn't build it up completely to begin with. Aside from Ribeiro there wouldn't necessarily be a selling off of veterans and it's not like they have any bedrock veteran players anyway.

Maybe they deviate from that for urgency's sake with more win-now moves this summer but if they do it would have to involve significant trades. That means letting go of players they seem to overrate significantly so I wouldn't expect it.

Langway is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.