HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey Genius Koivu/Briere

Old
08-03-2006, 11:45 PM
vancityluongo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post

i'd trade Koivu for Briere anytime tho... but that's my personal opinion.
ya, i also think that it wouldn't be a bad move to trade koivu for briere ( depending on the salary of both players of course ) mainly because briere is younger and right now has more potential then koivu.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Le depisteur

Forget to compare players with theirs statistics... On the ice, there's not just points. Both players (Brière and Koivu) have great offensive materiel but, imo, Koivu bring a lot more leadership... All along his carrer, in the NHL and World tournaments, Koivu demontrated he's a great player, often underestimated, i don't know why... I'm a big Koivu's fan and i'm very happy with him in the big culb. I prefer him to Brière...

Go Habs Go!

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 11:53 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
yeah ! true ! give Saku 5 millions because ten years ago he made those points
You missed the point sir.

Even though Saku has never reached his maximum potential because of his knee injury (Thank you very much Jeff Shantz) he has produced every single year. Not astronomical numbers, but numbers comparable to many 1st line centers accross the league and considering the supporting cast he had during the dark Houle era I think he did pretty well for himself.

Briere has posted similar or inferior numbers to Saku over the years and now at 28 years of age he earns more than Saku. Considering all the intangibles Saku brings to a team (courage, leadership, determination) I am very happy we can have him at this price for 3 more years (correct?).

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Haddock

I love Saku, I really do. Koivu is pretty good, but our team will become part of the elite when he's our second center. Not our overated first center. We need a real first center damnit!

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 11:56 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Forget to compare players with theirs statistics... On the ice, there's not just points. Both players (Brière and Koivu) have great offensive materiel but, imo, Koivu bring a lot more leadership... All along his carrer, in the NHL and World tournaments, Koivu demontrated he's a great player, often underestimated, i don't know why... I'm a big Koivu's fan and i'm very happy with him in the big culb. I prefer him to Brière...

Go Habs Go!
I think Koivu is undervalued because of his size and the image that the media is trying to project of him. And it's really sad because even though Saku is not real big, he plays big and the media is downplaying him only because of his nationality.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
both are good players... no need to argue over that.

i'd trade Koivu for Briere anytime tho... but that's my personal opinion.
when koivu was injured in playoffs we were dead.. sinking ship. Sabres are fine without Dany. I prefer Saku.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:44 AM
David_99

Quote:
Why does a leafs fan have Theo as an avatar?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Pascal

I'd take koivu over briere easily.

And for those who forgot, Koivu was on its way to becoming one of the best centers in the game until his knee injury.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:53 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Are you kidding me? Koivu's best winger was Recchi, even better than Kovy. Along with Corson, it was the best lines in 1996-1997. Just look at the stats. That line has speed with Koivu/Recchi and Corson wasn't bad either. If he wasn't injured that year, we never know how dominant could be. Art Ross??? Hart???
Im talking about the Houle Era when we were looking like a AHL team...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:54 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
when koivu was injured in playoffs we were dead.. sinking ship. Sabres are fine without Dany. I prefer Saku.
Or when the Canes changed their goaler in the playoffs , we were dead .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:13 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
You missed the point sir.

Even though Saku has never reached his maximum potential because of his knee injury (Thank you very much Jeff Shantz) he has produced every single year. Not astronomical numbers, but numbers comparable to many 1st line centers accross the league and considering the supporting cast he had during the dark Houle era I think he did pretty well for himself.

Briere has posted similar or inferior numbers to Saku over the years and now at 28 years of age he earns more than Saku. Considering all the intangibles Saku brings to a team (courage, leadership, determination) I am very happy we can have him at this price for 3 more years (correct?).
I don't buy the story of Koivu that never reach is full potential because of a knee injury . Saku is a player that is unable to maintain his rythm for a long period . He's going to be a killer during the J.O. or during a worl Cup , and is having very good starts of season , and playoffs , but he's not able to produce for 82 games season . At 22 years old , he was more energic , so he get those very nice stats , but he also got very good stats this past season , in the first half of the season . He simply was unable to keep the things going .

i hope seing him get a entire season with the production he was having last year . I am just scare that he's not able to do it
Briere has posted similar or inferior numbers to Saku ; That's true ,but he did it as a second center , for the Coyotes ( if you find that Saku didn't get help , take a look to the linemates Briere was having )

Old
08-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Finnadien

What a divided feeling.

I seriously hope the Habs will never trade Koivu. Not to speak trading him for a one dimensional, at least so far one year performer like Briere.

On the other hand though, I'd love to see how some people would react seeing their Habs suffering with basically two Ribeiros centering the top two lines.

Finnadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Or when the Canes changed their goaler in the playoffs , we were dead .
in game 2, the Canadiens still scored 3 against Ward.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 08:26 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
in game 2, the Canadiens still scored 3 against Ward.
in game #4 too .

Those posts are so childish !!! ( mine too ! )

Old
08-04-2006, 08:29 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnadien View Post
What a divided feeling.

I seriously hope the Habs will never trade Koivu. Not to speak trading him for a one dimensional, at least so far one year performer like Briere.

On the other hand though, I'd love to see how some people would react seeing their Habs suffering with basically two Ribeiros centering the top two lines.
I think that it would be more one Briere and one Koivu . Ribeiro would be the one to leave !

Old
08-04-2006, 08:53 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
i hope seing him get a entire season with the production he was having last year . I am just scare that he's not able to do it
Briere has posted similar or inferior numbers to Saku ; That's true ,but he did it as a second center , for the Coyotes ( if you find that Saku didn't get help , take a look to the linemates Briere was having )
I would have by far taken Briere's linemates over Saku's.

Saku's all star linemates included Perreault, Zednik, Bulis and Sundstrom.

Briere at least had Handzus, Nady, Johnson, Doan and Langkow.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Darz

I have a hard time believing TRUE hab fans slam Saku Koivu and his contract.

Remember Briere was awarded $5M a year.....he wasn't a UFA. He might of even got more if available on the open market, or at least the same dollar value per year with a longer term, and no matter what anybody says to me, I'm totally convinced 99.9% of the GM's in the league would pay more for Saku (way better two way player than Briere, with a higher PPG average over their respective careers), which mean, imo, that again proves to me that Saku gave the Canadiens a discount when resigning.

If Briere and Savard can get $5M a year, I am totally convinced Saku could of gotten more than both of them on the open market, and no here can convince me otherwise.

08-04-2006, 09:16 AM
gars59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

Remember Briere was awarded $5M a year.....he wasn't a UFA. He might of even got more if available on the open market, or at least the same dollar value per year with a longer term, and no matter what anybody says to me, I'm totally convinced 99.9% of the GM's in the league would pay more for Saku (way better two way player than Briere, with a higher PPG average over their respective careers), which mean, imo, that again proves to me that Saku gave the Canadiens a discount when resigning.

If Briere and Savard can get $5M a year, I am totally convinced Saku could of gotten more than both of them on the open market, and no here can convince me otherwise.

gars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURMEGE View Post
Briere 402 130 151 281
Koivu 569 137 323 460

For all of you who blame Gainey for not having quebecois or think Koivu is overpaid. What do you make of this. Numbers don't lie. Koivu 4.75 Briere 5.0 and will get more in years to come. I thought Koivu would feel the wrath from his new contract, but after what happened this summer, we got a sweet deal. JP dumont 2.9mill, come on!!!! It seems we also got a sweet deal on Kovy for 4.5. I am scared what Markov could get next season if Kubina got 5 mill.
Thoughts...
Yeah but Briere is better than Koivu so I guess it all works out.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
In your humble opinion, I guess. Don't try passing your opinion off as fact mind you.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Takeo

Quote:
In your humble opinion, I guess. Don't try passing your opinion off as fact mind you.
It's pretty obvious, I think. Unless maybe you're a Habs fan.

While both contracts are steep, I think they're reasonable comparatively.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
There was a time when I was so grumpy about Koivu-disrespecting that a thread like this one was a goldmine for adding people to my ignore list. But hey, it's summer, the sun is shining, the humidity is down, and... well, we don't have ignore lists anymore, do we?
Quote:
100% agreed. Now, that said, I do vaguely understand why some posters would want Briere. If he's on the market next summer after a dismal season (I hope he has a dismal season!) and if the cap goes up to the point where we could consider adding him, then I'd certainly be ready to consider it. Not at the expense of Koivu, of course, but Briere has some spunk and zip to his game that I would ultimately take over what Ribeiro brings, even given the cost disparity.

(And of course, all that said, I don't think there is any point in arguing this with any Sabres fans who come along. I wouldn't blame them for wanting to keep their guy too.)

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:32 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Is it just me, or do Buffalo fans tend to say "X Buffalo Sabre is better than Y player" often without actually explaining themselves? I see this all the time.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Darz

Quote:
It's pretty obvious, I think. Unless maybe you're a Habs fan.

Um....alright, well I think it is quite obvious that Saku is a better two way hockey player, and I think before last year (and abbreviated one for Briere) 99% of people would rank Koivu ahead, but hey....it you think it's obviuos......

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:43 AM
PacketFlo

Anyone RECALL whom Saku played with in the Olympics and what he did?

PacketFlo is offline   Reply With Quote